What Do You Think About Clientside Cheats

11 hours ago, Slagger said:

Game gives you limits that players should not pass. The people saying Action Queue mod owners can break things much much faster. I looked at it and I laughed. Now look at this and tell me it's not cheat.

um, that limit can be passed without Action Queue simply by clicking non-stop while you choping, the faster you click, the faster you chop

so I guess clicking fast is cheating now

ALSO

11 hours ago, Slagger said:

Game gives you limits that players should not pass. The people saying Action Queue mod owners can break things much much faster. I looked at it and I laughed. Now look at this and tell me it's not cheat.

you do realize that he speed up the video, right? just look at how fast the bird act, the arrow on the sanity,....

On 1/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I personally don't get why someone would use Action Queue because I like every action in DS/T, including menial ones, being part of the game experience - yet if people desire to look at an automatic sequence of events and still consider/call it gaming, that's their prerogative. Would they be more efficient than vanilla? Yes, but this is not a contest, not a competitive game - so it doesn't really matter in the end.

because you get bored over time....

that's why people make grass, twig,.. farm with lureplant, so they don't have to click, or holding space for a long time just to get some grass, twigs...

On 1/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, Mike23Ua said:

But isn’t what they do impacting you as well? Like let’s just pretend there’s some mod that lets players use regular spears but with the damage of the best weapon in the game.. better yet 2 or 3 hits can slay any boss in the game.

Now I’m not sure if such a mod exists- but this is just my example of how I can be in a heated battle with X boss.. then some mod user who hates playing legit shows up and 2 hits later Boom boss dead GG well played.

well yes, those mods can be called "cheating" and most poeple don't like those mods but.... that is server mod, client mod CAN'T do that

8 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

To be frank is laughable someone would propose with a straight face an "anti cheat system" for DST of all games, where PvP isn't even close to be "a thing"

I don't think the game should get an anti-cheat either, but not because it's a PvE game with no PvP elements. Warframe has an anti-cheat and it's PvE. Monster Hunter has an anti-cheat (that used to be so aggressive it was actually a problem) and it's PvE.  Killing Floor 2 I believe has an anti-cheat and it's PvE. TF2 does have a PvP mode that a lot of people play, but the PvE mode still has an anti-cheat. Whether it's a PvP or PvE game has no bearing on whether or not it has an anti-cheat, that's a ridiculous baseless argument.

I think the game shouldn't get an anti-cheat because I just don't think it'd work.

8 hours ago, Souper said:

And yet still no one has provided an explanation as to how someone using night vision genuinely affects your gameplay.

I suppose if you never read a single comment in the thread, sure. Just on the first two pages alone there's three comments explaining.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:05 AM, Cheggf said:

Exactly how I feel. It's so obnoxious when someone joins a server and literally 10 seconds later says they want to regen because there's no set piece they want, or says they found lunar, or some other thing that makes it extremely blatant they're cheating.

On 1/14/2021 at 1:41 AM, FairyInABottle said:

I care because succeeding or failing in the game is a team effort. It's not like I can just ignore the things they build or grow. The nature of the game means building a base and pooling resources. I can't tell what is legit or not. Most other games vanilla is default, you have to go out of your way to play modded with other people.

If someone knows were everything is, what is the point of exploring? If someone is just going to produce 50+ giant vegetables, why bother with any other food sources? What challenge is left? It's just going through the motions. If someone is cheating to get around the effort, why am I even bothering?

On 1/14/2021 at 2:15 AM, Cheggf said:

Exactly. I don't know why these people are saying that it doesn't affect me. How on Earth does my teammate instantly knowing where the ruins are, being able to evade the dangers because they have fullbright, and taking all the loot for themselves not affect me? How does my teammate wanting to regen the world as soon as they join because they looked at the entire map and it doesn't have a set piece they want not affect me? The only way their cheating doesn't affect me is if they're not cheating on the same server I am, in which case I really don't care. This thread isn't about cheating, this thread is about clientside cheating. 

8 hours ago, Souper said:

I have personally never been in a server where people are living nomadic lives independent of anyone else on the server.

that's generally how I play on pubs all the time. The "main base" will be burned and griefed anyway, it's just a matter of time, I rarely feel like investing in bases in pubs. I do help out at base if the group is nice and all, but I'm not there for too long anyway.

As for what broken mods and cheats are there, I'm sure there are plenty besides nightvision if that's what you are looking for. I've seen Wolfgang drop souls, Wendy reading books, and all types of shenanigans on Klei pubs when I was playing on pc. I'm sure a new player would be rather confused than entertained. I don't consider most of the mods listed here as cheaty, as it was said a million times, nobody cares about mods that do not affect other players gameplay(and yes, nightvision does affect other players gameplay; when competing for resources, it does give you an advantage early on in caves. Getting any resource much easier than the game allows you is affecting other players gameplay to an extent).

The fact that the community is growing has nothing to do with how they handle cheats, lol. It has all to do with how much work the devs put in the past few years in game updates and dlc's and all the new content they released, I think that is pretty obvious. 

To be clear, I don't think they should prioritize dealing with griefers and cheaters by any means, as most players don't play pubs anyway, it would not be worth investing time and money into that there's better things to do for their development. One change I would like tho is the 15 minute timer after the kick, some griefers have some dedication, I think increasing it to 1 hour would be much better.

And it will probably stay this way, I'm fine with griefers and cheaters existing, those sad people are in every community. But that doesn't change the fact that it is childish, stupid, and it does affect how other people experience the game.

22 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I've seen Wolfgang drop souls, Wendy reading books

There is an oversight that allows you to change the appearance of your character to another one, although it's purely cosmetic. That was a Wortox who looks like Wolfgang and a Wickerbottom or Maxwell who looks like Wendy.

But there are plenty of really bad ones. Off the top of my head you can see the entire map instantly, then go underground and see that entire map instantly, beeline straight to the ruins with your nightvision, evade the dangers with your nightvision, and see both who mobs are targetting and the attack timer of every mob so you can evade them easier. I'm sure there's more I'm unaware of or forgetting.

Wortox used to be able to use a mod to have noclip so he can just walk through and on top of anything including void and ocean. I think it's fixed and I don't remember if he was able to take damage during it.

22 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

One change I would like tho is the 15 minute timer after the kick, some griefers have some dedication, I think increasing it to 1 hour would be much better.

Is it even 15 minutes? This one guy keeps joining all the games I go into and every time I kick him he just keeps coming back over and over again for at least an hour. Last time he did it I swear he was joining back every 5 or 10 minutes.

44 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I've seen Wolfgang drop souls, Wendy reading books, and all types of shenanigans on Klei pubs when I was playing on pc.

These are definitely not client-side mods, and should not be considered part of this discussion. If it is a cosmetic change, then it is due to one of your own client-side mods.

23 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

But there are plenty of really bad ones. Off the top of my head you can see the entire map instantly, then go underground and see that entire map instantly, beeline straight to the ruins with your nightvision, evade the dangers with your nightvision, and see both who mobs are targetting and the attack timer of every mob so you can evade them easier.

Nightvision and map reveal seem to be the biggest offenders here (cam mods would get a dishonorable mention in too). Unfortunately, I don't see any way to prevent or detect the use of these mods; you'll have to ask the players to avoid using them to avoid having visual advantage over players that do not use them (no sarcasm pls). 

2 minutes ago, EirikGerhard said:

These are definitely not client-side mods, and should not be considered part of this discussion. If it is a cosmetic change, then it is due to one of your own client-side mods.

I was not using any mods for those instances, so it was not my own client side surely. I'm also not sure it was just cosmetic, as they we're going from one characters abilities to another in no time, but maybe, it was a while ago and I don't remember exactly, could be wrong.

39 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Is it even 15 minutes? This one guy keeps joining all the games I go into and every time I kick him he just keeps coming back over and over again for at least an hour. Last time he did it I swear he was joining back every 5 or 10 minutes.

It should be 15 now as far as I know.

13 minutes ago, EirikGerhard said:

Nightvision and map reveal seem to be the biggest offenders here (cam mods would get a dishonorable mention in too). Unfortunately, I don't see any way to prevent or detect the use of these mods; you'll have to ask the players to avoid using them to avoid having visual advantage over players that do not use them (no sarcasm pls). 

Exactly. The only realistic defense against people cheating is people not knowing that you can cheat. Something this thread which directly links to the mods certainly isn't helping...

One must wonder, many people were previously unaware of such over-powered mods before this thread? :wilson_blush: Be honest. :wilsconnivingsmile: I for one, only have a few thousand hours in the game. Even so, I had never heard of many of the mods, and wouldn't have found them otherwise.

But now, I have grown far more powerful than I could have ever imagined. MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! :wilson_ecstatic:

image.png.90d9ac5fd0d5d30a42fa695100b4aa56.png

Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not create monsters. The mods gazes also into you :wilson_evil:

image.thumb.png.9a9202652c150a09e1e7f918fc705881.png

Since two Klei staff/dev have reacted to posts only with emoticons and not an official reply, it is pointless to further debate this.

If you truly want to reduce the impact of "cheaters", it would be best to let this thread sink to the abyss, never to be seen & abused again. 

:wilson_tranquil:

As much as I hate to say it seems like the only way to make sure no mods are involved is to play on console just from this thread I learned about client mods that really cross the line but at the same time the only real solutions would probaly be kiel removing mod support which would lose them alot of players and money or kiel jump thru alot of holes to patch out specific mod support which would also likely cost alot of money.

In the past, we would suggest that new players go to public servers to learn about gameplay,but now if we did it again,that must be our problem.Quite a few public world have gone from cooperative survival to competitive survival and you don't want to feel "Go for the eyes" from others if you're a green hand.Try to imagine:we can only see the resource nearby in our normal view,the other players will see all the resources in dynamic scope,even in the night or caves.We have no objection to their use of these mods,but they shouldn't use it to ruin the experience of other players.For ourselves,we just have to play our own DST in happy and with some like-minded friends until everything changes.It's a long way road for that moment.

Archived