What Do You Think About Clientside Cheats

7 hours ago, BeeClops said:

It's annoying reading through this with so many replies "let people play how they want if it's not affecting you", that's the  whole point of this thread, client side cheats that DO affect other players gameplay; nobody cares what you do on your own servers and how you enjoy your own game, there is no point in bringing that up for the 10th time.

Thanks!
I replied same things to people but I got answers like "Don't play with Wormwood", "Don't play with strangers", "Why you attacking the persons which use these mods" and "It's not cheat" bla bla. Then I just leave them alone.

I replied few of them, if you check and sadly most of people didn't read my thread at all and most of them are really angry. I called butthurted in steam page of mod and some of people blamed me to "CRYING TO THE DEVS" just bc I don't want to see cheats on my server (Even name of the topic is What Do You Think) so I'm fine with Klei forums. People are aggresive all time.

TL;DR of all this thread, The only thing I can is ignoring them BC it's hard to block that kind of mods but I'm sure it's not hard as people.

Sorry for being dramatic, adios!

7 hours ago, BeeClops said:

It's annoying reading through this with so many replies "let people play how they want if it's not affecting you", that's the whole point of this thread, client side cheats that DO affect other players gameplay; nobody cares what you do on your own servers and how you enjoy your own game, there is no point in bringing that up for the 10th time.

even is if it's not a competitive game, players do somewhat compete for some resources in public games whether you admit it or not. Having mods/cheats that allow you to obtain certain items/gear much easier than others, and using them in public games is childish and stupid, and it affects how others enjoy the game.

Please name one client side mod that affects your gameplay and how it does so.

24 minutes ago, Souper said:

Please name one client side mod that affects your gameplay and how it does so.

What lol? The all thing going on in this thread is about these mods. The thread subject is about it.

On 1/12/2021 at 8:18 PM, Slagger said:
  • Nightivision For Free (Clientside) This mod just remove darkness effect from the game. Charlie still can hit you but you can stay alive just with thermal stone.
  • Farm Plant Needs This mod make you being able to viewing plant needs without any item. (Edit: I'm not sure it's that mod which I was talking about)

29 minutes ago, Slagger said:

What lol? The all thing going on in this thread is about these mods. The thread subject is about it.

I meant affects your gameplay by someone else using it.

Also, once again, Farm Plant Needs is a server side mod

12 minutes ago, Souper said:

I meant affects your gameplay by someone else using it.

Also, once again, Farm Plant Needs is a server side mod

Also, once said. Farm Plant is maybe not the mod I'm the talking about but the mod like it is exist.

For the first question.
The cheat means "Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage". It don't matter if the cheater is your enemy or your teammate. If someone cheats and gain an advantage that normal game don't give you for free, it's unfair. Yeah I know what you are gonna say, you are gona say "item information menu is in that type too" or examples like that but that kind of mods just giving the thing in Wiki faster. You can still alt+tab to look at wiki or memorize to learn how to cook or what's the value of things. You don't blame anyone just bc he know a thing. It's not same thing.

If you don't preapare well, game mechanics created to kill you and darkness is one of that mechanics that kill your visions (I bet darkness is first dying reason of players).
For example a clientside cheat, nightvision mod. I can't tell you how many time me and my friend died bc forgpetting to having materials for fire or being not able to put fire on pit. The person on the darkness will be total blind and probably die if don't find any light source like fireflies and will patheticly wait until day show up. In winter this means death. But with nighvision mod, player just can look around to gather materials and see his way clearly. This not only effective on emergency stutations. You can basicly craft a torch, or a touchstone or more basicly a lightbulb and drop on ground whenever hear charlie. With that way player will have a big advantage on long winter nights, ruins and caves. He basicly have unlimited moggles.

Game gives you limits that players should not pass. The people saying Action Queue mod owners can break things much much faster. I looked at it and I laughed. Now look at this and tell me it's not cheat.

Now like I said, I will say it again. I don't care what people use on their own servers. They can do whatever they want. But in public server that kind of client mods have HUGE advantages. This is cheat. If I would want to my teammate pass darkness, I would remove darkness from my server if. If I would want to get wood in great speed I would spawn tons of logs.

That's all I can say.

I just want to say that I use mods like craftpot because I really don’t want to put in the effort the look up things that I can just get on the wiki.

It’s not because I’m cheating like many in this thread would claim, I’m just saving time and I really don’t care to memorize how to make fresh fruit crepes.

Spoiler

хороший топик, и комментарии интересные.

tbh I don't care so much whether people play with cheats or not. If they do, I'll just find an another server and won't complain or yell on entire forums about that.

It's not a competitive game, alright?

Spoiler

But if you still want to forbid some client-sided mods on your server, how about making (or ordering from someone) a server-sided mod that crashes the game if these mods are installed (because of incompatibility or smth)? I don't think it will be too hard to do so.

2 minutes ago, Duck986 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

хороший топик, и комментарии интересные.

tbh I don't care so much whether people play with cheats or not. If they do, I'll just find an another server and won't complain or yell on entire forums about that.

It's not a competitive game, alright?

Reveal hidden contents

But if you still want to forbid some client-sided mods on your server, how about making (or ordering from someone) a server-sided mod that crashes the game if these mods are installed (because of incompatibility or smth)? I don't think it will be too hard to do so.

Crashing people's games intentionally is malicious.

1 hour ago, 1bubbainpa said:

I just want to say that I use mods like craftpot because I really don’t want to put in the effort the look up things that I can just get on the wiki.

I don't know why you said it.
I'm using it too when I use mods that adds/changes recipes like Feast and Famine. Also I use it when I play as Warly. I don't call crockpot cheat even I don't use it often.

53 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It's so surprising that bruhmoment23 would act like this.

To be frank is laughable someone would propose with a straight face an "anti cheat system" for DST of all games, where PvP isn't even close to be "a thing" (and most likely never will be aside from a potential future mode-game, though I highly doubt it; DS/T never was envisioned into PvP territory and the attracted audience is in accordance with this aspect) & competition is basic-level plus mostly RNG-ish. Is a silly cartoon game going further-and-further away for its single-player predecessor, and into "social club with decorations" area - that's the truth of the moment no matter if some DS original fans like-it-or-not: by far most servers out there are either Social or Co-Op.

People keep bringing out "you mustn't cheat in pubs because fair competition". If we're writing about KLei official Survival servers that's even sillier: I think your bigger potential problem isn't a tiny minority of theoretical people that may be using some mods/console commands to see map/resources, but players actively destroying resources in general like there's a contest. Not to mention, again, intentional and malicious griefing (how fair is that, heh?!). In the end, like with griefing and other behavior one may not fancy at all, there is always the possibility to... leave respective pub and go for another?! What a thought, right?! To just leave from a place where you don't like the company, whatever that may be, including cheaters?! Or not play pubs, period. Remember what some of you gave as advice regarding the griefers/griefing problem? "Don't play pubs, bruh!" Play servers with friends and like-minded individuals. Same case here. Because, from KLei's end and this far into DST's life (given the past bug reports perpetual "Pending"/ignore issue), dealing with "cheaty mods" (subjective assessment of them and their gravity) is far from a priority for devs.

4 hours ago, Slagger said:

If you don't preapare well, game mechanics created to kill you and darkness is one of that mechanics that kill your visions (I bet darkness is first dying reason of players).

For example a clientside cheat, nightvision mod. I can't tell you how many time me and my friend died bc forgpetting to having materials for fire or being not able to put fire on pit. The person on the darkness will be total blind and probably die if don't find any light source like fireflies and will patheticly wait until day show up. In winter this means death. But with nighvision mod, player just can look around to gather materials and see his way clearly. This not only effective on emergency stutations. You can basicly craft a torch, or a touchstone or more basicly a lightbulb and drop on ground whenever hear charlie. With that way player will have a big advantage on long winter nights, ruins and caves. He basicly have unlimited moggles.

Game gives you limits that players should not pass. The people saying Action Queue mod owners can break things much much faster. I looked at it and I laughed. Now look at this and tell me it's not cheat.

Now like I said, I will say it again. I don't care what people use on their own servers. They can do whatever they want. But in public server that kind of client mods have HUGE advantages. This is cheat. If I would want to my teammate pass darkness, I would remove darkness from my server if. If I would want to get wood in great speed I would spawn tons of logs.

That's all I can say.

The night vision mod doesn't prevent you from dying to darkness. It only lets you see in it. Personally, I don't play with night vision mod, but I still walk around using a single lightbulb as my light source or by flashing a torch every few seconds (Not all the time of course Just when I want to conserve resources or if it's early game). It's not hard to look at the map and see where you're going in between flashing a torch here and there. Hell, look at this video by Extremyt. It is a scienceless ruins rush with Willow. These things can still be done without night vision. You are not getting deprived of resources because someone on a random server is using night vision.

ActionQueue itself does not break things faster. It innately cancels the superfluous animation of an action (such as mining) which is similarly done by clicking repeatedly (as opposed to holding down space bar) i.e. it can be done faster without a mod as well.

Night vision will not provide ANY huge advantage. That's my take. ActionQueue may allow you to gather resources minutely faster, but nothing worth getting upset over.

We won't be able to do much about these mods; can’t report them as they do not break the ToS, even if they were removed they will come back in another form, you can’t see who is using them so you may be blindly banning people you suspect if using these mods, and there is no way to block them due to how the game is designed.

The best thing we can do is spread the word on how the community feels about these mods to try and convince people to play how you’d like. But even this is not foolproof, you can’t win the minds of everyone. 

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

To be frank is laughable someone would propose with a straight face an "anti cheat system" for DST of all games, where PvP isn't even close to be "a thing" (and most likely never will be aside from a potential future mode-game, though I highly doubt it; DS/T never was envisioned into PvP territory and the attracted audience is in accordance with this aspect) & competition is basic-level plus mostly RNG-ish. Is a silly cartoon game going further-and-further away for its single-player predecessor, and into "social club with decorations" area - that's the truth of the moment no matter if some DS original fans like-it-or-not: by far most servers out there are either Social or Co-Op.

People keep bringing out "you mustn't cheat in pubs because fair competition". If we're writing about KLei official Survival servers that's even sillier: I think your bigger potential problem isn't a tiny minority of theoretical people that may be using some mods/console commands to see map/resources, but players actively destroying resources in general like there's a contest. Not to mention, again, intentional and malicious griefing (how fair is that, heh?!). In the end, like with griefing and other behavior one may not fancy at all, there is always the possibility to... leave respective pub and go for another?! What a thought, right?! To just leave from a place where you don't like the company, whatever that may be, including cheaters?! Or not play pubs, period. Remember what some of you gave as advice regarding the griefers/griefing problem? "Don't play pubs, bruh!" Play servers with friends and like-minded individuals. Same case here. Because, from KLei's end and this far into DST's life (given the past bug reports perpetual "Pending"/ignore issue), dealing with "cheaty mods" (subjective assessment of them and their gravity) is far from a priority for devs.

I find it funny that I've been told that DST is both a game where the majority of public servers people play selfishly and don't help each other and that it's a social club where people don't play to be challenged. Seriously, which is it?

Co-Op is the default. Combat is incredibly shallow and not built for PVP. Of course no one plays that. It's standing next to each other and holding F.

"If you don't like it, leave". Yeah, I love hours of work being for not. I'm sure that doesn't harm a player base, no sirree. What fantastic advice. How long do you think a normal person would put up with that before they move onto another game? Player experience should 100% be a priority for devs. No one wants to play a game full of cheaters and griefers. The player base is TINY. Playing with friends isn't viable for all of us.

27 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

I find it funny that I've been told that DST is both a game where the majority of public servers people play selfishly and don't help each other and that it's a social club where people don't play to be challenged. Seriously, which is it?

Co-Op is the default. Combat is incredibly shallow and not built for PVP. Of course no one plays that. It's standing next to each other and holding F.

"If you don't like it, leave". Yeah, I love hours of work being for not. I'm sure that doesn't harm a player base, no sirree. What fantastic advice. How long do you think a normal person would put up with that before they move onto another game? Player experience should 100% be a priority for devs. No one wants to play a game full of cheaters and griefers. The player base is TINY. Playing with friends isn't viable for all of us.

I have personally never been in a server where people are living nomadic lives independent of anyone else on the server.

32 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

The player base is TINY.

I was curious about the player base so I looked it up. https://steamcharts.com/app/322330#All

image.thumb.png.210c64de1218401c8597df0e5d236835.png

The average seems to be increasing over time, despite the rampant griefing and "cheating". MUAHAHA!! :wilson_evil:

32 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

Playing with friends isn't viable for all of us.

Some Twitch streamers invite viewers to join & play together, perhaps that can help someone out there. :wilson_love: 

On 1/18/2021 at 3:38 AM, FairyInABottle said:

They're both. Because it depends: on the type of server, on region, etc. Most griefing and chaotic behavior happens in unmoderated dedicated Survival servers akin KLei official ones - these rooms usually are short-lived (1st Winter/Spring) since when all people die, even if is only 1 player on server, world resets. Most friendly, long-term rooms are community (hence moderated, with admin and/or moderators present) dedicated Endless servers - these worlds survive well into thousands of in-game days (tens of in-game years), a diverse handful of players recurrently visit the world, are vested in it, have end-game gear, complex projects, mega-bases, a.s.o. Also there's the ideal environment, aka theoretical, as what is desirable to be - and most rooms that are late-game, thousands days etc tend to slip into "social club with decorations" because virtually there isn't any late-game challenge aside boss farms and aesthetic building at grand scale. And then there's the realistic environment, where all the shenanigans I've mentioned happens (griefing, early-game selfishness, trolling etc) - or rather are also accounted for as recurrences/happenings. Once more, as I've suggested you in a previous post: play more, play various pubs and don't hang too much on the idea of KLei official servers - they are the "Wild West" of pubs out there.

Co-Op isn't per se "the default". In order of what type of descriptive server one can make are: Social, Co-Op, Competitive, Madness. But are just one-word theoretical descriptions. In the end they don't mean much, because in a Co-Op pub, outside of admin control (when he/she isn't on), nomad selfish people can rule the land for a time, longer or shorter. But yes, most numerous servers out there are under the Co-Op tag - the ideal. That doesn't mean people in those pubs really play cooperatively - the reality.

That's the general advice - take it or leave it. You can try to oppose the trolls/griefers/cheaters/rude people aka "toxic" and whatnot however you can and deem appropriate. With various degrees of success. From personal experience (almost 9k hours of play, most in KLei official servers aka unmoderated Survival dedicated vanilla) I can attest once more is better you just leave when such specimens "assume control" over server. Again: take it or leave it - by all means, try and "fight the windmills".

As shown in a previous comment, DST player-base isn't tiny.

Yes, player experience should be dev's priority, only I reckon you and some others here exaggerate the impact cheaters using client-side mods and console commands have on DST games/servers - thus not really warranting dev intervention.

And playing with friends is always viable: make more friends via DST positive experiences - don't shy from sending Steam friend requests to people you had fun adventures in Constant's lands.

Ideally, as I've wrote in my first comment on this topic, am pro rooting out all cheats/exploits for a healthy gaming experience. As am also for drastic punishment of very persistent (during sessions and over multiple sessions) recurrent griefers like Clouds and his bots, the trio of server-resetting S@tan-senpai+Bunnyash+SpiderGoat and many more such trolls that plagued EU server for months (or years, Clouds' case - yeah, there really is such "sick puppies" blend in DST pubs). Yet realistically I saw KLei isn't willing to walk such path. Likewise with mods and even the ability to have console commands option for non-admin players in pubs. This is the situation and I for one am highly doubtful it will change. Yet still I hope...as hope dies last.

all the ppl who are angery at these client mods im getting some strong vanilla purist "i only use optimal strats" wolfgank and wickeroppum vibes like dang! dst is a chill pve game which 90% of the ppl who play it are complete noobs who eat red caps why u all so mad someone has superman eyes or can automatically do actions then they want to go get a coffee or send some memes to their friends on discord! its not like this game even competitive its literally more casual and chill than minecraft LOL

I read some comments, and couldn't find what made op consider action queue a cheaty mod. You can still mine things faster if you hold down space bar and click a lot, if you have no lag (I might me wrong here tho). I personally like to use it bc after a few hours played it gets really boring to have to hold space bar to collect all my logs from bearger or mine boulders for example, but i can see how it changes the playstyle of the game in a way. As I've seen a lot of people say here, in the end it comes down to what people think is best for them, and if you're playing with other people then either you make your own rules, or you play theirs.

Archived