What Do You Think About Clientside Cheats

21 hours ago, Seero said:

our knowledge differences in coding shows, I have none

Ah, to put it simply there's nothing Klei can do to enforce anything like this given that the lua state is accessible to anyone.

You can write your own "mod" purely using the in-game console if you wanted to which would be functionally identical to a mod written with the mod api.

Only things that could be done are mitigation techniques, which since I reported the whole see entire map back in 2016 and it was deemed too much work to fix for low payout, I wouldn't hold your breath on it being changed.

Only thing I could suggest is to find similar players and play with them.  Random public rooms are chaos bound and may have people using these things at any time.

1 hour ago, FairyInABottle said:

I just booted up the game and the tagline is: An Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game Full of Science and Magic. I wouldn't call it casual.

And even if I made my own server, ignoring that the player base is small, I still wouldn't be able to tell if someone was cheating or not. And it goes both ways, no one is forcing anybody to cheat. I honestly can't believe I'm being told "if you don't like cheaters, play by yourself".

I don't know what public servers you are playing on but I've seen plenty of resources sharing, revives, rushes, and general assistance.

While the game is advertised as uncompromising the game has actually been going further and further away from that idea which in essence is why people make things like uncompromising mode.

As for your public experience I really guess it depends on region you play in or servers as far as my personal experiences have been most players in pubs hoard resources, make multiple solo bases, and swipe anything that isn't in your inventory including items they can't use like poop pellets. This isn't  even including the find a way to revive yourself or get kicked mentality. That being said even when servers are more civil I find people tend to form small groups and in some cases play solo.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

To defend the Wiki.. (however inaccurate and completely wrong it may be at times) back in my day I had to go to a store and buy books titled Nintendo Power, or Prima Strategy Guides- Books that would cost roughly 20-40$ themselves (depending on size and contents of the Book)

the only difference now days is people aren’t going to go buy this 20-40$ book when they can just look that information up Online and for Free.

I didn't mean to say that  using the wiki is a bad thing just was making a point that most people don't experience the game as it was originally intended be it mods, wiki etc.

10 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

If they did any big Roleplay server like mine that uses console and Creative commands, and Too Many Items would be back to square one. We use them everyday and it's not a good idea unless it's cheating or getting skins that you do not own, or anything that provides an unfair advantage

I'd be in a similar boat.  I love hanging out with folks on my creative server.  Getting rid of all the 'cheat' mods would take both the 'build' and the 'chill' out of my 'build n' chill' server.

10 minutes ago, Souper said:

I am. Both provide an advantage otherwise available in the game through legitimate means. Do you disagree?

I will tell you the difference: reading wiki is knowing the game mechanic. Nightvision is changing the game mechanics.

6 minutes ago, Souper said:

Okay, so do you think Craft Pot is cheating?

If it change game mechanics... But don't ask me what is cheating. I think is a part of personal experience to say what is or not. So for yourself you're right and for somebody else you might be too harsh. For me not, personally I would be happy if some of my friends started using wiki or some kind of that mod - just to free me from kitchen when I really want to do something else... Like disappear in caves for 120days and do not worry they will starve.

Just now, Notecja said:

It if change game mechanics... But don't ask me what is cheating. I think is a part of personal experience to say what is or not. So for yourself you're right and for somebody else you might be too harsh.

Craft Pot essentially lists crockpot recipes in the crock pot interface according to what ingredients you have placed in the crockpot. I still strongly stand by the idea that, while although not 1:1, night vision is in essence providing you an advantage the same that the wiki provides you an advantage.

For me not, personally I would be happy is my friends started using wiki or some kind of that mod - just to free me from kitchen when I really want to do something else... Like disappear in caves for 120days and do not worry they will starve.

That would be lovely. Alas, such a mod doesn't make this big a difference for our friends who need babysitting :wilson_cry:

18 minutes ago, Souper said:

Craft Pot essentially lists crockpot recipes in the crock pot interface according to what ingredients you have placed in the crockpot. I still strongly stand by the idea that, while although not 1:1, night vision is in essence providing you an advantage the same that the wiki provides you an advantage.

Basically there are few (or more) mechanics that games don't tell - not only DST and sometimes using wiki is only way to go forward and to find things. Nigthvision won't tell you, that you can kill some statues on new moon, or that you can deconstruct one staff for pretty unusual gem. Usually people don't watch trailers to get tips or straight answers, they never visit forum and wiki may be their last place to look for answers.

Without wiki I would be still scared of moleworms, because I was thinking is something like cave worms and will eat me alive if I step on them. Also I'm pretty sure without wiki or forum (same thing) I wouldn't learn cooking or new farming. Last time I asked one of new-not-really-new players, if they know about giant crops and he simply didn't even know he could research plants and get some more info - he was thinking every other stuff from it is just useless.

What is more important - not everybody is clever enough to figure things on their own. Does that mean, they should stay in disadvantage until somebody tells them what to do? Which is basically same thing like wiki - outside knowledge.

24 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

it helps making the game easier for someone who doesnt know the recipes but it doesnt change the values of the recipes so isnt cheating, a mod that lets you make meat stews with 4 twigs is cheating

Once again, this is unachievable with client side mods--the topic of this entire thread. Most server side mods I would say definitely qualify as cheating.

9 minutes ago, Souper said:

Once again, this is unachievable with client side mods--the topic of this entire thread. Most server side mods I would say definitely qualify as cheating.

servers and clients are two very different avenues.

Servers can do as they please. The owner will decide the rules and how it plays like.

Clients are guests to an existing world. They will adhere to the rules and not benefit from anything more than what the server proposes.

28 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Basically there are few (or more) mechanics that games don't tell - not only DST and sometimes using wiki is only way to go forward and to find things. Nigthvision won't tell you, that you can kill some statues on new moon, or that you can deconstruct one staff for pretty unusual gem. Usually people don't watch trailers to get tips or straight answers, they never visit forum and wiki may be their last place to look for answers.

Without wiki I would be still scared of moleworms, because I was thinking is something like cave worms and will eat me alive if I step on them. Also I'm pretty sure without wiki or forum (same thing) I wouldn't learn cooking or new farming. Last time I asked one of new-not-really-new players, if they know about giant crops and he simply didn't even know he could research plants and get some more info - he was thinking every other stuff from it is just useless.

What is more important - not everybody is clever enough to figure things on their own. Does that mean, they should stay in disadvantage until somebody tells them what to do? Which is basically same thing like wiki - outside knowledge.

I personally don't feel using outside sources for information is bad and is a large part of what made games more mainstream but at the same time It still is a form of cheating as your using knowledge you didn't gain from playing to avoid potential danger or take advantage of systems you didn't learn. Technically all the game's mechanics can be found out through experimentation but it sure as heck wouldn't be fun.

16 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Be careful people, we've reached page 4. That's like Defcon 1 by forum standards.

The first rule of DST Mods Club is: You do not talk about DST Mods. :wilson_wink: The second rule of DST Mods Club is: You do not talk about DST Mods. :wilson_enraged:Third rule of DST Mods Club: Someone yells "Hax!", logs out, complains to forums & it gets patched, the game is over. :wilson_horror:

image.thumb.png.d75950efaf76ffb2cdeb460c87069152.png

Here's my personal rule when using client mods (this only applies when playing ~vanilla servers). I only use mods that allow me to do what the game natively already does.

For example,

• Geometric Placement
  • ActionQueue Reborn
  • Combined Status
  • Drop your lantern on the ground by pressing k
  • Reset Camera DST

These mods don't really allow me to do anything I couldn't already do manually.

A mod I use that might be an exception to this is Extended Map Icons. This just helps finding things on the map and doing hunts easier.

I don't really like aerial view mods or the mod you described. Seem like cheating to me.

I don't really think Klei should police mods (except for skin mods as that's how they make money from DST). I would rather them spend the time creating content.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I personally don't get why someone would use Action Queue because I like every action in DS/T, including menial ones, being part of the game experience

I, in part, use it to keep my hands from getting cramped and sore. I also use it because it allows me to do tasks more efficiently. For me it has nothing to do with finding parts of the game boring.

I'm not a streamer, but I would guess a number of streamers use it so they can pick a bunch of grass/twigs/etc while reading and interacting with chat.

4 hours ago, X-lem said:

Here's my personal rule when using client mods (this only applies when playing ~vanilla servers). I only use mods that allow me to do what the game natively already does.

For example,

• Geometric Placement
  • ActionQueue Reborn
  • Combined Status
  • Drop your lantern on the ground by pressing k
  • Reset Camera DST

These mods don't really allow me to do anything I couldn't already do manually.

I agree with that completely, and am always sure to turn off seeing player & world temperature in Combined Status since that is not something the player can do without a mod.

It's annoying reading through this with so many replies "let people play how they want if it's not affecting you", that's the whole point of this thread, client side cheats that DO affect other players gameplay; nobody cares what you do on your own servers and how you enjoy your own game, there is no point in bringing that up for the 10th time.

even is if it's not a competitive game, players do somewhat compete for some resources in public games whether you admit it or not. Having mods/cheats that allow you to obtain certain items/gear much easier than others, and using them in public games is childish and stupid, and it affects how others enjoy the game.

Archived