Do we really need a sulfur geyser?

I dont understand the need for a sulfur geyser. The production of sulfur ingame from Sour Gas Boiler (SGB) is correct but in IRL it is also a byproduct of crude oil refining to petrol. Not everyone ingame wants to build a SGB in every colony, so petroleum route should have sulfur production. Also sulfur is also found near volcanoes. That should have been a feature as well. Lava solidifying to a composite tile of igneous and sulfur.

I don't think they will offer a lot of sulfur per geyser, just enough to power the sugar rocket.

Edit : Agree with the petroleum route, sinceĀ  the oil refinery deletes 50% of the oil mass, i think it is ok to have some sulfur as a byproduct of the refinery.

Adding sulfur geyser is the easiest solution to make it renewable without sour gas boiler. Tweaking existing production chains before going on holiday break is a risky move as introducing new bugs or breaking the balance would leave far more people upset than the lack of renewable sulfur already does. Consider this as a temporary fix before looking for a proper integration of sulfur into colony life cycle.

Nothing wrong with having a natural source of sulfur. It`s basically a sulfur volcano wich makes sense. Works for the ONI world where each geyser produces only one type of resource. They could add another source through the oil refinery as well but for now it works.

gating sulphur behind one of the most mechanically complex builds in the game isn't great for new players.

A geyser is necessary. It's ok if the geyser is rare, though. (edit: or a critter morph that poops sulphur. Or some other mechanism)

21 hours ago, Abi.m said:

Also sulfur is also found near volcanoes. That should have been a feature as well. Lava solidifying to a composite tile of igneous and sulfur.

I could get behind lava rocks being run through the rock crusher to produce sulfur and igneous rock.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:07 AM, MinhPham said:

I don't think they will offer a lot of sulfur per geyser, just enough to power the sugar rocket.

Edit : Agree with the petroleum route, sinceĀ  the oil refinery deletes 50% of the oil mass, i think it is ok to have some sulfur as a byproduct of the refinery.

I absolutely agree that sulfur should be a biproduct of the refinery. That would preserve the mass in the game.

Too bad we didnt post this earlier.:/

Ā 

Sidenote: it is not 50%, since there are also 90g/s of NG.

The sulfur geyser is too far away to be of any use. Late game food is trivial and usually completely sustainable through ranching. The in game window for the need of sulfur is pretty small unless they use it in some other process later. Ā Iā€™d rather have a guaranteed chlorine/natural gas geyser.Ā 

33 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

The sulfur geyser is too far away to be of any use. Late game food is trivial and usually completely sustainable through ranching. The in game window for the need of sulfur is pretty small unless they use it in some other process later. Ā Iā€™d rather have a guaranteed chlorine/natural gas geyser.Ā 

I would expect the sulfur geyser to be moved to another planetoid in the long run anyway.

Otherwise the swamp biome would be quite a joke:

• water geyser
  • enough po2 for ages
  • enough sand to clean po2
  • critters who increase your food drastically
  • free food for the critters

Then we only need a copper ore volcano to also get free energy.^^

Most likely things will spread out a bit.

I'm saying the geyser is too far away, as in it isn't on the starter location or the teleport location(which sort of is the same location in that you can transfer things between them without rockets) or even the next closest location.Ā  You don't need sulfur for food by that point in the game.Ā  Food needs to be solved way before you get to those locations and resolved as you expand.Ā  Maybe for rockets but isn't co2 better than sugar?

5 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Maybe for rockets but isn't co2 better than sugar?

Currently it is. Gives more range and the extra module the sugar allows is needed for the oxydizer anyway. But we don`t hav everything implemented yet. Maybe there are other uses for sulfur or sucrose planned which would make the geyser worthwhile in the long run.

If it occured naturally as a decay product; then there would be deposits of it. It's natural occurence is trace amounts in uranium ore; as uranium sometimes irradiates itself into plutonium. It's naturally occuring but not a decay product; like everything after Uranium.

Small amount of sulfur to keep a few critters going or to occasionally power a rocket is nice I think; until you get your sour gas boiler running. As long as it's not powerful I'm fine with it.

Archived