How about a (slight) cooking rework?

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

This comment was very mean spirited, condescending and borderline bigoted. Judging by your reputation one would hope you'd know better. The forums are for everyone. 

im sorry to mar the thread with this but i had to get it off my chest 

48 minutes ago, Ohan said:

This comment was very mean spirited, condescending and borderline bigoted. Judging by your reputation one would hope you'd know better. The forums are for everyone. 

im sorry to mar the thread with this but i had to get it off my chest 

You chap sure do like exaggerating, as some certain others around here. Also full-blown mind-readers it seems, as you're certain of what it passes through my thoughts, right?! I assure you is anything of that sorts. Was an advice told in a "fuzzy-wuzzy" manner, as Beefalo-lad there clearly has some English language deficiencies impeding him to properly understand what Mike wrote - and not just this time around. Also you sturdy forumers sure fancy dunking on Mike from time to time - quoting yourself, "forums are for everyone"; even if those somebodies have lack of game knowledge or are blatant "try-hards". Cheerio!

Spoiler

Also both you and Beef there have the ignore option - I warmly advice you to abuse it if something/someone is not your cup of bitter tea: mouse over forumite > Ignore User. Healthy and clean!

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

ignore option

does anyone even use this option?i just personally think its really mean to completely get rid of someone because its not like i disagree with everything a person says(unless there edgy rick:lol:)

also i just need to say this because its quite important in my opinion so here goes

POG isn't a joke.its a expression and a reaction.i don't use it as a meme so its not meant to be funny(sorry i know its off topic but just had to say it)

now on topic i do personally think that klei can change some things about cooking but only small things other than that cooking is good as is

2 minutes ago, stranger again said:

does anyone even use this option?i just personally think its really mean to completely get rid of someone because its not like i disagree with everything a person says(unless there edgy rick:lol:)

also i just need to say this because its quite important in my opinion so here goes

POG isn't a joke.its a expression and a reaction.i don't use it as a meme so its not meant to be funny(sorry i know its off topic but just had to say it)

now on topic i do personally think that klei can change some things about cooking but only small things other than that cooking is good as is

I reckon some certain people, perhaps of the "easily offended" sorts whatever that may mean, do use it. I personally don't as I fancy healthy banter - builds character and can forge relationships of different stripes. Also shows the speaker/interlocutor can take a joke at one's expense, can unwind; or the opposite - and that also is useful as interactions go. Yet I do encourage people, at least in my case, if they find my replies undesirable for future reading - ignore; site offers the option so why not getting rid of a person that brings you perceived all-around negative feedback?! *Thumbs-up*

Likewise website offers you a nice whimsical palette of reactions. But if you must, oh well, feel free to "POG" - but do know it can and will be seen as spam, as it clutters discussions without bringing more to the table.

Lastly, once more, imo is best to keep a simple and neat mechanic as-is, aka cooking in Crock Pot. More so as bulk player-base will not fare well with complicating cooking (visit all sorts of public servers and see what happens there for a more comprehensive view, not just opinions from advanced players and their bias centered on end-game content).

7 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

a simple and neat mechanic as-is, aka cooking in Crock Pot

yeah but cooking in a crock pot isn't perfect maybe they can change a small thing or two to make it better?

7 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Likewise website offers you a nice whimsical palette of reactions. But if you must, oh well, feel free to "POG" - but do know it can and will be seen as spam, as it clutters discussions without bringing more to the table.

well i usually add more after saying POG like saying my opinion but i will definitely try to use it less 

hope you have a wonderful day or night wherever you are in the world and to know that you're very poggers

I think small tiny things could be changed about cooking, such as boiling water in a pail over a drying rack, or putting honey/fistful of Jam into one of pearls message in a bottle jars and storing them into a fridge to preserve freshness.

But you don’t want to over complicate cooking just for the sake of over complicating it either, I highly Dislike Warly as a character in this game, and I would hate if everyone suddenly played like him.

3 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

i dont think cooking needs to be reworked entirely, but i would like to see new recipes using the vegetables we are now planting. and wheat. flour would be a good adition as cooking ingredient.

Well, there'a artwork in the files for flour. Because it was considered to be added to the game at one point. But it never was, However. It was eventually added into the Gorge, but uses a different graphic

It looked like this

Spoiler

Flour_Unimplemented.png.556a1e55927536b447c875355a5bb562.png

11 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

I personally don't think the system works fine as it is when only a select handful of recipes are ever being used, and the entire cooking process leaves no room for engagement.

I don’t think that’s the problem with the pot, that’s just food in general. If there is a way to reliably heal a stat and it’s the easiest, you are always going to use it. Sure, crockpot foods could be reworked and stats could be shifted, but then people will just find another similar dish that fulfills the role of the old one. No matter how you cut it, there are always going to be “meta” crockpot dishes.

I don’t find engaging with the crockpot to be ideal either. I already dislike making 10+ dishes at once, and needing to do more things so I can cook a few crockpot dishes doesn’t sound very fun (unless you meant that in changing the way the interface works now to be more QOL, such as being able to cook around 10 dishes at once in a pot, but the time to cook would correspond to those dishes. In that case, I think that would be nice.)

11 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

Especially the crop-related recipes; those rarely get any love, and for good reason unfortunately since they're mostly sanity-related and often don't profit on hunger. 

But the the farming rework happened, and those are really viable now, especially since multiple easy farm dishes heal 33+ sanity, the second highest you can restore in a food item. My friend made ~100 salsa Fresca, and it took him like 3 days to amass all of the crops. Dragonpie can also be used effectively as well for bulk HP/hunger gains as well.

In addition, non crockpot farm food is already really good. Many cooked versions heal 20 HP, and the hunger on many are 25+ as well. The only thing they lack are sanity values on all except for watermelon, which the crockpot assists with. 

This Reply could maybe be seen as Off-Topic and therefore I have decided to Spoiler tag for reader convinence.

Spoiler

Meanwhile- I’m just waiting for better healing tab items or buffs to the existing ones to be made.. and removing the healing from eating food items.

It really does in my opinion make the game too easy, and I like that Wormwood has the challenge of not being able to heal from food sources, but I WISH I could play as and enjoy playing as Anyone and still have that currently exclusive to Wormwood downside.

I don’t think food should heal anyway, because after I’ve fallen and injured myself in real life immediately going to McDonald’s and ordering a Big Mac doesn’t heal my bleeding body parts, no.. medicine, bandages and time to heal does that.

I guess what I’m saying is that cooking itself isn’t what needs a Rework, It’s the healing from cooked items that I would like to see disappear completely (at least add it in as a being optional) But they would need to either add new.. or improve the methods of existing healing tab items for it to become viable.

17 hours ago, Monkey Cups said:

Soup. If anything that should make soup.

Soup is nice, makes room for more uses of ice in the crockpot besides Stinger,Ice cream and filler for meatballs in the end.
I wouldn't mind some tweaks in the crockpot,but I think that can be made without changing much, I think more recipes and more priority to certain filler could solve this, Like soup for the monster meat and 3 ice instead of meatballs or vegetable soup for a veggie and 3 ice,idk, people might not want to get rid of their precious meatballs.

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

real life

DST has never been one for being realistic  :lol:

but getting rid of healing from foods would make a bunch of the bosses really annoying(because if you're playing solo and you aren't a demi god at kiting then you're gonna need a lot of healing to get through a raid boss and no one wants to make like 30 healing salves to get through ancient fuelweaver)

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

I don’t think that’s the problem with the pot, that’s just food in general. If there is a way to reliably heal a stat and it’s the easiest, you are always going to use it. Sure, crockpot foods could be reworked and stats could be shifted, but then people will just find another similar dish that fulfills the role of the old one. No matter how you cut it, there are always going to be “meta” crockpot dishes.

I don’t find engaging with the crockpot to be ideal either. I already dislike making 10+ dishes at once, and needing to do more things so I can cook a few crockpot dishes doesn’t sound very fun (unless you meant that in changing the way the interface works now to be more QOL, such as being able to cook around 10 dishes at once in a pot, but the time to cook would correspond to those dishes. In that case, I think that would be nice.)

But the the farming rework happened, and those are really viable now, especially since multiple easy farm dishes heal 33+ sanity, the second highest you can restore in a food item. My friend made ~100 salsa Fresca, and it took him like 3 days to amass all of the crops. Dragonpie can also be used effectively as well for bulk HP/hunger gains as well.

In addition, non crockpot farm food is already really good. Many cooked versions heal 20 HP, and the hunger on many are 25+ as well. The only thing they lack are sanity values on all except for watermelon, which the crockpot assists with. 

Right, which is why I'm in favor of either a cooking rework or a recipe rework since to me, it doesn't make sense that recipes that rely on rarer ingredients like fish are so underwhelming whereas the strongest hunger recipe in the game relies on easy-to-get meat to the point where 1 koalephant kill + 8 spiders = 9 days' worth of food. 

I don't mean make the cooking process unreasonably tedious; maybe introduce a fuel slot where fuel quality could affect the outcome of your dish, with living logs giving the best results. Maybe introduce an ingredient system where certain ingredients can be processed in a certain way to give better versions of a dish, whether diced, cooked, grounded, raw, etc. I'm just spitting out ideas off the top of my head, but I basically think there can be plenty done to make cooking way more balanced and fun without making it tedious or punishing for the people who prefer cooking as it currently is. 

Right, EXACTLY, the farm crops eaten by themselves are really good, so what's the incentive to making crop-related dishes (excluding dragonpies of course; I'm mostly referring to the sanity dishes like potato puree, salsa, veggie stingers, etc.) ? Imo these crop dishes shouldn't be worth less than the more easy-to-make meatballs and meaty stews, and especially, the crops shouldn't be worth more than their respective crop dishes.

While a overhaul would be always nice my opinion is lot of things need more attention such as the ocean content and completing the return of them part. Farming was straight out poor / broken in current state compared to all other sources of food that why this was a much needed overhaul. Current crock-pot mechanics work perfectly although like you said they can be more engaging.

7 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

You chap sure do like exaggerating, as some certain others around here. Also full-blown mind-readers it seems, as you're certain of what it passes through my thoughts, right?! I assure you is anything of that sorts. Was an advice told in a "fuzzy-wuzzy" manner, as Beefalo-lad there clearly has some English language deficiencies impeding him to properly understand what Mike wrote - and not just this time around. Also you sturdy forumers sure fancy dunking on Mike from time to time - quoting yourself, "forums are for everyone"; even if those somebodies have lack of game knowledge or are blatant "try-hards". Cheerio!

If most everyone else has issues with the rude (and sometimes more than borderline bigoted) way that you act here on the forums, is it possible that maybe you're the problem, rather than every other person?

7 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

If most everyone else has issues with the rude (and sometimes more than borderline bigoted) way that you act here on the forums, is it possible that maybe you're the problem, rather than every other person?

well its definitely a possibility but nah were the problem in this situation 

with my joke out of the way. yeah @x0-VERSUS-1yyou're a bit rude i understand its sometimes just a joke but whenever i make a rude joke i usually say right afterwards that its a joke and not to be taken seriously and you don't do that so maybe in the future start saying its a joke as to not hurt anyone's feelings?i really don't want to use the "ignore user"button its a last resort if someone is being too rude also this might be a bit hypocritical but you go off topic quite a good bit.its not that big of deal but on a thread where we were supposed to talk about what characters we don't like and i decided to say "POG"you decided to make an entire reply about how it bothers you that i say the word POG instead of just sending me a message 

well on topic if were talking about reworking food theres a lot of food that can be reworked.mainly just buffs to food like fish tacos or pumpkin cookies and also changing food values for food like ceviche.

11 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

See why, my furry fuzzy friend, I've wrote you time-and-again you should learn proper English and have a bit more patience before lashing out? Because Mike now, as opposed to too-many past times, is right: apparently he beat DF without knowing how to make Pierogi (the recipe), which indeed makes the fight harder (don't know what he used for healing if used anything at all); and now, knowing said healing recipe, in his view that makes the fight "a lot more fairly balanced" - aka what we all said, but Mike, in his lack of knowledge, still stubbornly persisted in past into considering said fight being "too hard/not balanced" and whatnot. Since, once more, he didn't knew the healing recipe, presumably didn't used any healing, jumped over back repeatedly, magically morphing into a joyful corpse thanks to a most caring oversized fly encounter. Patience and learning, lil Padawan. And much love! (kissed and hugs, xoxo)

Was the condescending sass and emphasis on improper English necessary? Your attempted passive-aggressive insult that you're trying to excuse as banter doesn't come off friendly in the slightest and is a bit hypocritical when the same insult is riddled with grammatical errors themselves, mostly but not limited to verb-tense and clause mistakes. I'd appreciate it if you stuck to debunking what people are saying rather than going after the people themselves, even if your intention is to rile people up in order to get this thread locked. Also, I still don't see how the dragonfly fight and lack of pierogi knowledge is relevant to this thread let alone the comment he was responding to; could you explain its relevance more clearly? 

11 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

On a serious note regarding OP, cooking via Crock Pot is ok in current iteration. No need for exceedingly complicated gimmicks on this front either. Imo plot-farming didn't warrant additional complications as well akin what will roll next week with "Reap What You Sow" update, but hey, it is what it is! We will see 1 week up to 1 month after "RWYS" is out how successful this rework would be with bulk player-base (I reckon, based on way-to-many pubs sessions, it will fair even worse than old farming on sole premise vast majority of people have a "set-once-and-forget-about-it" passive approach to farming of all sorts - not to mention the multitude of variables plot-farming now implies for a most-successful crop, new style that actively punishes the "set-and-forget" strategy with rotting and pests).

Back on topic, though, I don't agree with the idea that complexity makes a game less fun; otherwise, games like Oxygen Not Included would be extremely unpopular. I don't understand why you're continuing to double down on this idea that the RWYS update "punishes" people who take a passive approach to farming when it's been explained in other threads that you can still "set and forget" by just checking the crops you planted every 4-ish days; the crops will still grow without a single drop of water or a single ounce of fertilizer. I'd personally be fine with giving room to ignore "complex" mechanics just like what RWYS allows should a cooking rework come to fruition.  

Modular Cooking

I've always liked the idea of having ingredients impact the final products' stats. Something like ice or twigs would work for the creation of the dish, but negatively impact its stats unless required. On the contrary, using bigger portions of meat when unnecessary would buff the stats of the meal.

This would do a handful of things:

• Cheap filler loses its value in comparison
  • Food preservation becomes even more important
  • You won't really be able to 'waste' better ingredients
  • Jerky would be [marginally] more useful since Crock Pot dishes won't stack
  • Healing items would be [marginally] more useful since Crock Pot dishes won't stack

Ultimately, just about all the numbers of Crock Pot dishes and normal edibles would need to be tweaked. As well as cooking priority in regard to things like Monster Lasanga, birds being able to eat monster meat, etc.

Fuel

The idea of requiring a source of fuel is intriguing as well tbh. It adds another level of balance around long cook-time dishes giving better stats (theoretically), but consuming more fuel. You could even have special fuel like red gems that increase the stats of a dish.

Spices

I'd also very much like to have spices taken away from Warly as a unique perk, tweaked, and made available to everyone. Have him be able to apply spices more times or use several at once or something. Spices as a concept is really fun, and, again, Warly is basically just a pick and swap character currently. He needs something more than just unique items.

EDIT: Heck, being able to naturally produce higher quality food items (in terms of stats) would make him a better character already. It's not like you're going to swap to him every time you cook a regular dish!

Diversity

At the end of the day there will always be the issue of finding that one most ideal dish and sticking with it. I don't think I want to go with the "make everyone have Warly's downside" route, but there definitely needs to be something to promote variety. Maybe along with favorite foods, characters will also have 2-3 food they like, 2-3 they don't like, and 1 they hate.

What if eating a not recently eaten food would temporarily stop hunger drain? So, spamming meatballs would work, but if you switched it up a bit it would work just as well or better but save you resources in the long run? Essentially, promoting diversity instead of punishing repetition. I think this could be very similar to the farming situation we have now where you don't need to change up things too much compared to previous play, but it can wind up making things easier if you do.

why are a lot of people here taking their own small little jabs at @x0-VERSUS-1y?yeah i understand telling someone to get better at english is pretty damn rude but wouldn't it be better if you sent them a message instead of making a reply on this thread about a crockpot rework

2 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

I'd appreciate it if you stuck to debunking what people are saying

debunking?is that really the correct word to use there?also im gonna guess you're talking about me here but thats alright 

Archived