How about a (slight) cooking rework?

Since farming got refreshed maybe we should stick to food and also overhaul how cooking works.

Don't worry, I'm not proposing Gorge's way of adding an oven and a grill.

One: crockpot has skins and two: splitting dishes among 3 cooking stations would be a terrible nerf for Warly.

However I do think that crocpots should require fuel and attention so that your dish doesn't end up burned.

Klei should also add some more 'failed dishes' such as 'soggy meat' or 'vegetable pulp' when you use more than 1 ice as a filler. Characters would comment something like 'Of course water isn't a substitute for proper ingredients' or something like that. Also depanding on the type of mosnter emat used the dish should decrease health or restore less of it (if it's a healing food). Dired monster meat being the best and raw monster meat being the worst.

Furthermore just like how RWYS added fruit flies an update about cooking could finally be a way for Mumsy and Billy to appear in the game. For example npcs that can sell items related to farming and cooking.

Idk. As I said crockpot skins and Warly's existance really limit the possibilities for a cooking rework.

Or maybe yall think cooking is a fine mechanic as is.

56 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Or maybe yall think cooking is a fine mechanic as is.

I don't think the idea of a cooking rework is bad, but I personally just find it a bit redundant to focus on when the system works fine as of now. The problem with old farming is that while they also worked, they were ridiculously time consuming to maintain and setup, and produced very little gain for what you put into them unless you did ridiculous plantations (and even then, it was subpar at best). The crockpot doesn't face this issue, though.

The crockpot servers one job, and it does the one job well enough. You put 4 food items in, and you get a crockpot dish that is hopefully better in 1 aspect that the ingredients lacked, and that's about it. It's not complicated compared to the new farming aspects, but I personally find that fine. Sometimes, it's okay for simple mechanics to just work out and remain unchanged.

As for punishment recipes, I think most of the needs are covered. The main issue is a few priorities likely need to be shifted. For instance, most of the new dishes make it practically impossible to get monster lasagna because it's priority is low compared to how high some of the new dishes are (for comparison, the priority of it is 10, and most Return of Them additions reach 20+, with some being 50).

Spoiler

Also, I can't be the only one who doesn't see ice as a useful filler, no? In my opinion its much easier to go out and find other reasonable quantity filler then use ice unless it is very early on in the game, especially since berries are also common and make a fantastic substitute for 98% of dishes.

As much as I would love more in-depth cooking

as we learned from the past few major updates. The one thing people in this community hate is more complicated mechanics / a way to fail.
They would much rather set and forget than to pay attention even if it meant a much greater reward. They just dont care for it.

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Klei should also add some more 'failed dishes' such as 'soggy meat' or 'vegetable pulp' when you use more than 1 ice as a filler. Characters would comment something like 'Of course water isn't a substitute for proper ingredients' or something like that.

Soup. If anything that should make soup.

I don’t think Everything about the game needs reworking... People bought this game because they liked they way it played, to change the way that plays could potentially change the game someone enjoys.

Its okay to make changes, but maybe in a different difficulty/game mode..

7 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

The one thing people in this community hate is more complicated mechanics / a way to fail.

Yeah. I mean, heck, if I was the one to introduce RWYS in a form of a suggestion then people would say they don't like it.

40 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah. I mean, heck, if I was the one to introduce RWYS in a form of a suggestion then people would say they don't like it.

There are people like my self who only know 17 of the games 60 something food recipes.. 

Here go ahead and laugh- not but a few weeks ago did I discover a repeat recipe for making Peroggi’s.. and apparently these things are probably the best food source in the game, huge hunger and health restore values..

I beat Dragonfly not knowing how to actually create the Peroggi.. Which probably would’ve made that fight a lot more fairly balanced.

Why introduce the cook book into the game at all that memorizes recipes for players to use later (thank you Klei) if you want them to change the way cooking works?

just seems like a whole bunch of hassle for something that should probably be reserved exclusively for some harder difficulty mode.

That would be nice, they did a real good job on the farming rework here, making it not even complicated but simply something better looking and worth investigating into it, with the arrival of oversized veggies, ability to grow plants in winter, block wildfire... some of the examples of a more developed mechanism. And yet some nerfs, just like the birdcage and seeds, Wicker's book tweaks or insta-grow with fertilizer. I've liked how farming worked before but now I'm a huge fan.

So cooking could do the same easily and I'd like to see it progress, the Crock Pot could still be the main component, but here's some stuff that could be changed :

- Something that really has no interest with the crockpot cooking is the waiting time, sure, food takes time to cook but you just don't always stare at your frying pan irl, right ? You stir so it doesn’t stick to your cooking instrument, you toss some salt or add a new ingredient in mid cooking cause everything have a different preparation time... so we could make ourselves useful during that time and improve the preparation (for faster cooking or "perfect recipe", with better stats ?).

- What about fillers ? Some around might be ice cookers but I'm not very into this, mostly because my Icebox is always so full so I don't really have to use it... yet ice have already a lot of recipe which requires water/ice (tea, soup, juice, icecream...) so I would personally accept to delete ice from other cooking recipes or opt for what @Szczuku suggest with soggy food, (for slower cooking or "bad recipe with less stats ?). Not like finding 4 actual ingredients was so hard anyway, and even for beginners, eating 4 cooked items is something not as bad that it might sound... so I'm probably gonna get roast here but filler rework, anyone ?

- For fuel, I say yes, that could make Crock Pot easier to build if we remove the charcoal from the crafting recipe (or reduce the initial cost), coal doesn’t have much use once you crafted your crock pots and racks, it's a good fuel for fire as well but you certainly just switch to portable light source when you can... coal for cooking is a possibility I think, I would honestly enjoy it as long it makes a difference, some recipes could be specially requiring a level of fire (not to fail it, but if we're going for a "perfect recipe", that'be nice !), maybe count rain as a factor as well... I doubt cooking outdoor under a storm is that easy.

That's all I can suggest, remember, Klei said they didn’t wanted to make a no-reward for bad farmer with the update. So the same could do cooking :) 

I 100% support a cooking rework, but as others pointed out, it would need to not be punishing for the people who want to dump and forget. 

12 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

I personally just find it a bit redundant to focus on when the system works fine as of now

I personally don't think the system works fine as it is when only a select handful of recipes are ever being used, and the entire cooking process leaves no room for engagement. Especially the crop-related recipes; those rarely get any love, and for good reason unfortunately since they're mostly sanity-related and often don't profit on hunger. 

2 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

I 100% support a cooking rework, but as others pointed out, it would need to not be punishing for the people who want to dump and forget. 

I personally don't think the system works fine as it is when only a select handful of recipes are ever being used, and the entire cooking process leaves no room for engagement. Especially the crop-related recipes; those rarely get any love, and for good reason unfortunately since they're mostly sanity-related and often don't profit on hunger. 

j kinda like that veggies are worth to eat raw/roasted than in a recipe, makes the gameplay different, not only crockpot dependient

imo cooking is fine, maybe some recipes are so op or ingredients like ice shouldnt be used for everything but it already involves a lot of maths and trial and error

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I beat Dragonfly not knowing how to actually create the Peroggi.. Which probably would’ve made that fight a lot more fairly balanced.

but you complained arround 10 pages about how difficult it was :wilsondisapproving:

I'd think that if a rework for such a fundamental core of the game were to be implemented, it wouldn't punish you for not babysitting a structure. Since that would take too much of your time trying to manage your hunger bar.

If anything, it'd be like the farming rework. Where setting and forgetting something would yield a similar result (albeit with farms, it's more space efficient), but taking certain steps would ensure a better product.

Let's take the filler example. A meatball would stay the same if you were to use the current most efficient recipe, a spoiled morsel+ 3 ice. But If you were to use better ingredients (a 90% unspoiled morsel), you'd have a "Fresh" meatball that has +5 sanity, or if you used better filler foods like fruits/veggies, you'd have a "Finely cooked" meatball that maybe lower's sanity drain by 10%

11 minutes ago, WereGoose said:

I'd think that if a rework for such a fundamental core of the game were to be implemented, it wouldn't punish you for not babysitting a structure. Since that would take too much of your time trying to manage your hunger bar.

If anything, it'd be like the farming rework. Where setting and forgetting something would yield a similar result (albeit with farms, it's more space efficient), but taking certain steps would ensure a better product.

Let's take the filler example. A meatball would stay the same if you were to use the current most efficient recipe, a spoiled morsel+ 3 ice. But If you were to use better ingredients (a 90% unspoiled morsel), you'd have a "Fresh" meatball that has +5 sanity, or if you used better filler foods like fruits/veggies, you'd have a "Finely cooked" meatball that maybe lower's sanity drain by 10%

or just make ice a terrible filler

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:
6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

but you complained arround 10 pages about how difficult it was :wilsondisapproving:

See why, my furry fuzzy friend, I've wrote you time-and-again you should learn proper English and have a bit more patience before lashing out? Because Mike now, as opposed to too-many past times, is right: apparently he beat DF without knowing how to make Pierogi (the recipe), which indeed makes the fight harder (don't know what he used for healing if used anything at all); and now, knowing said healing recipe, in his view that makes the fight "a lot more fairly balanced" - aka what we all said, but Mike, in his lack of knowledge, still stubbornly persisted in past into considering said fight being "too hard/not balanced" and whatnot. Since, once more, he didn't knew the healing recipe, presumably didn't used any healing, jumped over back repeatedly, magically morphing into a joyful corpse thanks to a most caring oversized fly encounter. Patience and learning, lil Padawan. And much love! (kissed and hugs, xoxo)

On a serious note regarding OP, cooking via Crock Pot is ok in current iteration. No need for exceedingly complicated gimmicks on this front either. Imo plot-farming didn't warrant additional complications as well akin what will roll next week with "Reap What You Sow" update, but hey, it is what it is! We will see 1 week up to 1 month after "RWYS" is out how successful this rework would be with bulk player-base (I reckon, based on way-to-many pubs sessions, it will fair even worse than old farming on sole premise vast majority of people have a "set-once-and-forget-about-it" passive approach to farming of all sorts - not to mention the multitude of variables plot-farming now implies for a most-successful crop, new style that actively punishes the "set-and-forget" strategy with rotting and pests).

Ice is an insanely overpowered filler, I’ve actually started turning ice to less or off for my worlds.

But there will always be significantly less skilled players who need that 1 meat or 1 juicy berry plus 3 ice.

But making things more complex is okay as long as it’s fun, and not confusing or feels incredibly tedious.

My complaints about Dragonfly was that it was Tedious.. not fun- I essentially have to over build and over prepare for a task that can be completed in relatively short fashion had I just opted to gather friends or random strangers and engage in that content with multiple peoples as it is intended.

The new fishing and farming reworks do not require multiple peoples as part of their design to enjoy, as far as I know they’re perfectly enjoyable for a solo player, the same can’t be said for boss fights and casual (not hardcore or moderately experienced) players looking to enjoy them.

Having said that- I absolutely HATE Warly as a Character... easily my least favorite character in the entire game (yeah even more so than Wes) and essentially what the OP is asking for with a cooking rework is to make ALL Playable characters more like Warly-

Heavy No Thanks on my behalf.

16 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

See why, my furry fuzzy friend, I've wrote you time-and-again you should learn proper English and have a bit more patience before lashing out? Because Mike now, as opposed to too-many past times, is right: apparently he beat DF without knowing how to make Pierogi (the recipe), which indeed makes the fight harder (don't know what he used for healing if used anything at all); and now, knowing said healing recipe, in his view that makes the fight "a lot more fairly balanced" - aka what we all said, but Mike, in his lack of knowledge, still stubbornly persisted in past into considering said fight being "too hard/not balanced" and whatnot. Since, once more, he didn't knew the healing recipe, presumably didn't used any healing, jumped over back repeatedly, magically morphing into a joyful corpse thanks to a most caring oversized fly encounter. Patience and learning, lil Padawan. And much love! (kissed and hugs, xoxo)

On a serious note regarding OP, cooking via Crock Pot is ok in current iteration. No need for exceedingly complicated gimmicks on this front either. Imo plot-farming didn't warrant additional complications as well akin what will roll next week with "Reap What You Sow" update, but hey, it is what it is! We will see 1 week up to 1 month after "RWYS" is out how successful this rework would be with bulk player-base (I reckon, based on way-to-many pubs sessions, it will fair even worse than old farming on sole premise vast majority of people have a "set-once-and-forget-about-it" passive approach to farming of all sorts - not to mention the multitude of variables plot-farming now implies for a most-successful crop, new style that actively punishes the "set-and-forget" strategy with rotting and pests).

you should learn other things

i just said that he complained for so long and saying that is impossible to beat her when he didnt use one of the easiest and best healing recipes. To talk about balance with that passion he should, at least, know the basics

that is it

what an obsession

pd. dont talk to me in that tone, im not you friend or a padawan (like you have something to teach me) neither a furry (maybe you wish it)

All i want is a full blown caves update. Since most biomes down there are very unimportant and is just filler. The generation hurts to explore with ton of dead ends.

I would love new season mechanics and monsters that make it harder but more fun to live in the caves.

I really don't see why it needs to be reworked, stuff like ice was intended to be filler otherwise it probably wouldn't of been able to be used the first place. And if Klei does get rid of ice people would just use another thing that's easy to amass, like berries. It works as intended, why do we need to rework cooking? Cooking, of all things y'all could otherwise ask for! 

Also this is the constant, where deerclops exist and where your mind can get you killed. It can be as illogical and simple as it pleases.

15 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

I really don't see why it needs to be reworked, stuff like ice was intended to be filler otherwise it probably wouldn't of been able to be used the first place. And if Klei does get rid of ice people would just use another thing that's easy to amass, like berries. It works as intended, why do we need to rework cooking? Cooking, of all things y'all could otherwise ask for! 

Also this is the constant, where deerclops exist and where your mind can get you killed. It can be as illogical and simple as it pleases.

sure would like to see those berries grow in winter

10 minutes ago, Well-met said:

sure would like to see those berries grow in winter

I was using berries as an example.

10 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

filler for cold recipes, being able to use 3 and get a good amount of hunger looks unbalanced

if ice werent that "op" i wouldnt survive in sw so much xD

Maybe they should add a "tag" to what ice is actually intended. (By that, I mean add a value that some recipes can't have. I can't figure out another way to word this)

Archived