How about a (slight) cooking rework?

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wurt is fine, I have never personally had any problems surviving as Wurt.. Wurt has a whopping 200 health points before she enters starvation status, she can also eat Butterflies, Seeds, And even Straight Ice if she gets in a tight emergency fix.

I think that maybe in the New content biomes such as out at Sea there should be some Veggie mob for a Wurt to survive on but other then that 1 juicy berry + 3 ice and Wurts good to go.

She doesn’t really need more veggie food dishes, she can survive off a stack of butterflies alone if she has to.

And while it’s not out yet for console players I predict that the new mega RWYS giant veggie crops will make it that much easier for Wurt to survive. :) 

well, i said that there should be more veggie dishes so other people would stop shitting on wurt, as a wurt main, i'm fine with her diet but well, other people won't give her a chance since wurt is vegeterian. For me, wurt is a really well made character, which i think is obvious since i main her :P

I don't really want to get too offtopic, but, as someone who plays Wurt, her vegetarian downside is very much a non-issue.

She gets by fine in terms of health and hunger from raw veggies. Naturally it's not as great as the meat meta, but not enough to warrant outcry imo. Her vegetarian trait is actually one of the few things she has going for her really. It at least makes her have a unique gameplay style from the rest of the cast. It's just that her perks are a bit bland.

She suffers from poor merm AI, lackluster early-game, and a lack of originality.

On 12/12/2020 at 7:49 PM, Majestic_Herman said:

I thoroughly support the idea of a cooking rework, I understand as to why people dislike the idea. I do not want the rework to be insanely difficult, maybe have a crock pot set over a fire and watching it's temperature or anything. Something simple can make a huge impact. The reason why I'm in favor for an idea such as this is because cooking in this game is extremely powerful. (Duh.) But, I mean certain recipes makes boss fights such a push over. "Oh no, I've been hit by deerclops I better heal" *eats a single pierogi and heals for double the amount of damage they took* "Much better." While this is definitely more of an issue with certain foods in the game, but instead of nerfing the foods we abuse so much, we can make cooking slightly involving just like gardening, and we can keep this food but with ever so slight work to receive the same benefits. I don't necessarily like the idea of the mentality of "set it and forget" when it comes to crafting items that have a ridiculous benefit with a very simple recipe. Again, this is more of an issue with food in the game, but instead of nerfing it and making a lot of people angry, they can just make it engaging and entertaining. 

if a caged bird didn't poop out infinite eggs on demand then your pierogi would be genuinely earned.

the problem is not the mechanic, the problem is the ressources and their availability.

3 hours ago, Well-met said:

if a caged bird didn't poop out infinite eggs on demand then your pierogi would be genuinely earned.

the problem is not the mechanic, the problem is the ressources and their availability.

THIS, god I hope on hardcore Uncompromising difficulty Klei will really flip the standard rules upside down on its head.

Instead of being able to just cage a bird for free eggs you’ll have to get your eggs from tall bird nests or pengull nests, or angry snakes (if they get added to DST) basically some mob is going to want to kill you for your food.

Same thing with Beefalo Wool for winter gear, instead of giving the player tools to easily and effortlessly obtain wool with no risk of danger to them, make the player actually have to chase down and kill their target for wool (just like how I had been doing it for years until finally discovering theres a laughably easier way...)

I hope that when and if we get an Uncompromising Mode for DST that food items will no longer heal players.

—————————

If cooking was to become more complex just like fishing and RWYS farming I have a few ideas for that-

Craftable buckets for gathering Water at ponds, at sea, when it rains, Etc.. these buckets will be attachable to the Drying Rack, the player can build a fire near the rack that will “boil” the water, which can then be carried and put into the cook pot for recipes like soup or gravy.

We could have a stirring spoon that requires the player to mix the ingredients in the pot to avoid it becoming a food disaster- maybe with some kind of fun mini-game involved.

food stuffs may require additional steps before being able to be put in the cooker, such as seasoning, drying out on meat rack, blending, cooling, heating, etc..

I would like for Pearls empty message in a bottles to be able to be stored into a fridge and preserve the life of things like stacks of Honey, Fistful of Jam, and Milk.

We have an Icebox, Salt Box, Drying Rack, and Crockpot.. let’s make them all essential tools needed in cooking.

My one and only concern with this is TIME- the characters in the games HUNGER drain values and how that will balance out with a more Complex cooking System.

Because as it is NOW Ive actually managed to starve to death a few times beside a crockpot that was full and wouldn’t finish cooking my meal in time.. Imagine if we had to do all these other steps/activities just to cook food?

Klei would quite literally have to Rebalance ALL of the characters hunger drain and food values around the new way (and time it takes) of cooking. And Warlys picky eater downside would either have to be significantly reduced or removed completely.. otherwise I predict Warly players starving to death a lot more often.

The TL:DR- there’s a lot more that Klei has to rebalance & consider what it’ll effect, besides just “rework cooking”

On 12/14/2020 at 8:33 AM, Well-met said:

That'd take more than just one rework. That would be several, sure resources can be abundant, but I really haven't seen anyone care about that point. 

Archived