Do you all produce and eat jerky?

jerky or no jerky?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. title

• Yes, i indulge on drying activities.
    • Negatory, i do not.
    • I sometimes dry meats and stuff.

Not very often, seems like such a waste of time- but I also never really stay in one place I like walking around the map engaging in combat with mobs often, so I usually just set up a cooking pot and make some foods there- mostly meatballs, fistful of jam, trail mix, fish sticks- rarely ever do I use drying rack.

Yes, but it also varies upon the circumstances.

Am i staying on the surface, where sanity drain isn’t as harsh and you likely are not taking too much damage often? Probably not, since while the stats are nice you usually waste them a bit, and I find it easier to supply other foods in the meantime (doesn’t mean it can’t work out, though, it just isn’t as practical)

Is it the ruins, where in 95% of cases one slot is locked down to a light item, the darkness sanity drain is eternal, and there is a constant danger of losing a significant amount of HP from a few errors? I honestly don’t know why you wouldn’t  bring anything other then jerky at that point. Being able to heal all 3 stats that are constantly draining with a single inventory slot is very substantial, and makes a considerable difference.

I usually prep jerky ahead of time for my ruins trips, and rarely eat it above ground. Considering there are 3 seasons where you can prep ahead of time effectively, it’s a viable strategy to just constantly do later on.

Finally, I do want to mention I don’t include dried kelp for this, as I personally find it more of a sanity food then a well rounded item. It’s abysmal dry time does make it good enough for me to use on the surface without planning ahead by too much, especially during spring when sanity can start being an issue.

I rarely dry meats but kelp is very great for drying due to how short its drying stage takes and getting good amount of sanity that takes even less then a day to dry is really amazing. I would stockpile on these for easy sanity if jelly salad wasn't a thing.

Sometimes I would dry large meat for jerky after gathering meat from my volt goat farm, since I usually have six goat pens and kill four goats per herd farming volt horns for jelly and the two meat drop.

Maybe klei should add dried mushrooms. As wormwood I eat them year around. Mushroom planters provide me food (red caps), sanity (planting spores), light (fungus cap gives red spores for my mush lamps), and health (werepig for easy poop and bonus meat+skin). If I could dry them then others could benefit too. The drying could get rid of the poison/LSD.

Edit: I forgot blue caps are a thing. Still, I'd love to store them for longer periods. 

I usually only get to jerky REALLY late game, and I don't consider it much of a convenience because stacking meatballs in bundlewraps is pretty easy.  I play solo and don't focus base building much so that may be part of it.

13 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I usually only get to jerky REALLY late game, and I don't consider it much of a convenience because stacking meatballs in bundlewraps is pretty easy.  I play solo and don't focus base building much so that may be part of it.

do your meatballs heal 20 hp and 20 sanity in one go though

I pretty much only make jerky when i play Wigfrid which isnt often and then i exclusively jerkify big meats. I find setting drying racks up (they take up so much space and are ugly) and gathering the materials kind of a hassle, i much more enjoy getting my hunger/sanity/hp needs met in other ways 

58 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I pretty much only make jerky when i play Wigfrid which isnt often and then i exclusively jerkify big meats. I find setting drying racks up (they take up so much space and are ugly) and gathering the materials kind of a hassle, i much more enjoy getting my hunger/sanity/hp needs met in other ways 

Exactly! but the amount of responses here is proof that people play this game in drastically different ways from one another, and your answer is also probably going to have a lot to do with the character you play as and what you spend most your time doing in the game.

As Wendy, Healing & Sanity are easy things to manage.. couple spider glands, couple top hats, both things you’ll have in bulk supply, and a Sisturn (or 382 of them) fueled up with flower petal & Sanity is never an issue again.

I shouldn’t have to point this out: But DS and DST are open world Sandbox games where people will have drastically different strategies and play-styles from one another, the different replies here showcase that.

I think jerkey is fantastic early game, especially when you’re playing solo. The stuff never spoils if you put it in a fridge, and if you can amount 6-8 drying racks for your base, you will basically have a stash of an all stat increase resource whenever you kill a koalaphant.

Of course, this strategy will die down during Spring and later days, but by that point you will have alternate food sources to rely on.

It's a perfect superfood to put in a bundling wrap for emergencies for all but a few characters . That's what I usually try and do. Also like to keep a little in the fridge for touch ups here and there. If it starts going yellow or red , I just turn it into meaty stews usually. 

Great food for early , medium and late game imo. 

Archived