Do you all produce and eat jerky?

jerky or no jerky?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. title

• Yes, i indulge on drying activities.
    • Negatory, i do not.
    • I sometimes dry meats and stuff.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

As Wendy, Healing & Sanity are easy things to manage.. couple spider glands, couple top hats, both things you’ll have in bulk supply, and a Sisturn (or 382 of them) fueled up with flower petal & Sanity is never an issue again.

Quite honestly, I find myself never in need of a Tophat. I'll often be floating somewhere around ~180 sanity for weeks on end, simply from my daily routines. The last time I made a Tophat that wasn't for a Prestihatitator was over 3 weeks ago. 

Yes, I do a lot, especially in late game where pig farm alone gives me so many meats that I don't know what to do. Jerky alone heals all three stats, has a really long spoiling time, that means you can dry them, and sort of forget them and when you remember and take them they most likely still fresh and you can chomp them for those stats.

5 hours ago, Well-met said:

do your meatballs heal 20 hp and 20 sanity in one go though

I don't need them to.  A bundle wrap with perogies, cooked cactus, and a hambat & football helmet gets me ready and cleaned up from most any fight.  If I need higher sanity for some reason I can get it but I don't mind running around mid sanity for the most part.

I play solo so getting things like a tam or bundlewrap recipe are expected.  If I built 6-8 drying racks that would add an extra stack of grass on my chore list.  Maybe I'll try it next time I get grass geckos, but I'm not manually picking that much early game if I can help it lol

(also most of my meats early game are monster meats from hound waves and spiders.  idk if I get enough large meats to sustain jerkys early either.  Playing solo time is a valuable resource in the first 1-2 years and I don't want to add a daily chore of converting meats :\ )

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Exactly! but the amount of responses here is proof that people play this game in drastically different ways from one another, and your answer is also probably going to have a lot to do with the character you play as and what you spend most your time doing in the game.

As Wendy, Healing & Sanity are easy things to manage.. couple spider glands, couple top hats, both things you’ll have in bulk supply, and a Sisturn (or 382 of them) fueled up with flower petal & Sanity is never an issue again.

I shouldn’t have to point this out: But DS and DST are open world Sandbox games where people will have drastically different strategies and play-styles from one another, the different replies here showcase that.

Why was there a need to point any of that out? The person was only commenting their point of view on drying racks? They weren't saying that no one should use drying racks period. Wth?

11 hours ago, JosePapp said:

Jerky or no jerky

Well, it depends. When I play as Wolfgang, I am trying stack them as much as possible in a bundle wrap. When as Warly - I usually put 0.5-1 stacks into fridge so I will always have a source of meat for meaty stew or something. When as any other character - I have some (approx. 10) with me as an emergency healing/sanity/hunger item.

They're actually too easy to make and mass produce to not to use it, to be honest.

Jerky is a great food since it's easy to make, has great stat restoration and slow spoilage. My bases have a good amount of drying racks, especially if I'm playing my main character Wigfrid, and I usually dry the regular meat and use the monster meat for dishes instead. I use stale or spoiled jerky for dishes as well, or feed it to the bird for eggs. I highly recommend investing in multiple drying racks, especially before the first winter.

Yes and I always have.  I tend to live near good sources of small meats, such as rabbits or frogs, and a nice little snack that also helps the sanity and healing is always welcome.  I usually end up with 8-10 drying racks eventually, as grass supplies and (SAFELY) charcoalable trees permit.

I've often thought there should be a way to preserve other things besides meat, as well, and guess what, there are--of course--MODS! (tm) for that kind of thing. There's Advanced Drying, which allows you to dry mushrooms and such as mentioned earlier in this thread...though of course that does people on console very little good.

Anyway drying racks are yay and jerky is yum.  :)

...Notorious

12 hours ago, GrandTardigrade said:

With Warly, jerky is still great to extend the lifetime of meat - you can reset any meat's freshness to 100%, and it spoils much slower afterward, which is great even if you can't benefit from the health and sanity bonuses.

I'm Warly, so I eat all my meat (dishes) before it got spoiled. Need a lot of eat, so meat is lit.

14 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

I like to live on boats. When I'm out at sea, curing meat is vital to prolong the ability to make dishes sustainably. Drying kelp is the best way to consume kelp aside from using it as filler. I almost never eat jerky by itself.

Just like real sailors. 

Archived