Walters Slingshot

2 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

It needs to be shot faster in my opinion, it's too slow, and is too situational because of it.

I feel it's a bit on the slow side.I don't see any buffs cming in the near future though. Maybe after Wigfrid refresh she might be able to buff others attack speed (hopefully) making Walter a more interesting choice.

its a support/utility weapon, in that regard i feel like it fulfills its purpose nicely. it definitely does not successfully make walter into a ranged only fighter because its slowish and clunky to kite with if there arent other players to tank/kite in melee range. 

8 minutes ago, Cailu95 said:

I would like other characters to be able to use the slingshot but keeping Walter as the only manufacturer of ammunition, on roleplay servers this would give a great trade In dynamic.

The problem with that is he'd be a craft and switch character. you could mass produce ammo by the thousands and put it into the hands of a wigfrid or wolfgang.

Personally I think the standard melee weapon and kiting strategy are still the most viable with Walter, but his slingshot is really good for select circumstances. He can easily dispatch tentacles from a safe distance, and can do so early on even with stone pellets. Very useful for aggroing mobs and starting wars. Amazing at farming canaries for morsels; and finally, the poop pellets help with stealing tallbird eggs. 

I'm surprised not that much people enjoy the slingshot :wilson_curious: As I've started playing Walter a lot, I quickly noticed this weapon was more useful in specific situations than your everyday weapons to deal big damages, but it still have some uses...

For example it is incredibly powerful against Shadow creature, you only need 9 golden round for Crawling Horrors and 3 more for Terror Beaks, as one approach you, you only have to press your attack button and they can't do nothing about it, they're lock from a teleportation to another, the chance for them to attack you is extremely low, it really have to teleport on you at a certain distance.

I also like to use it to engage fight with mob I don't want to attack in melee, like Snurtles, these guys hit really very fast and insanely bugged when you have minerals on you so use your slingshot and they'll be instantly aggro and you won't have to turn into a damn engineer to avoid taking a hit.

Then the rest is pretty obvious, farming birds, it's actually decent when you have marble rounds, which I do farm a lot once I have the Reanimated Skeleton and Thurible at the surface, and the other rounds effect can be useful on certain boss, but it will of course not be as good as the Mighty-Wolfgang-Spicy-Chaud-Froid thingy.

I think the speed is ok (maybe a bit slow but not that much). I think the main problem is range of it. I can't kill a creature without mounting Woby. And the spear is dangerous (for online, it's suicide bc of lags).

His slingshot is just an excuse for why he can't fight while riding Woby, I never found it useful for anything.

If you want to fight enemies: Just kite! For taunting you can use an Ice Staff, it's way faster and will never miss. And for farming birds you'll be better off by picking Wickerbottom.

It has slow attack because that's how support characters work. They're meant to be stacked with other melee players distracting the foe/boss.

Judging the slingshot based on solo play means you've missed the point. If you play him solo then you still gotta use reliable melee.

I think his ranged damage and speed are fine, and that the direction they took was missing the point of what the slingshot's main focus should have been: a ranged crowd control secondary weapon.

His slingshot could have gone with the crowd control tools a lot stronger and easier to make, while also dealing some AOE for more effectiveness, without dealing damage.

EG: the freezing/slowing attacks having a small splash radius, and giving you more pellets per craft. The poop pellets having a much stronger lasting effect , the cursed rounds leaving shadow tentacles with 100% of chance that last a bit longer, etc. And the direct damage being just a niche alternative for Woby fighting and the uses that exist right now, be it very specific fights or cheeses.

We have an okay-ish secondary weapon to mostly aggro mobs, deal a few hits before enemies engage you in melee, or have more freezing attacks in just one slot, but overall you can just go the whole game without ever using your slingshot and you won't be missing much. Same goes with his hat. 

Every time I use Walter I just feel his main perks, as he stands right now, are Woby (High speed, huge storage as a character in general) and the no-passive sanity lost at caves or from auras. All of this compensated with a crippling strong con. The rest of his kit are just smaller, and less useful, optional side perks.

If I could ask for an upgrade for the slingshot I would like to make this 2 changes:

• Delete the damage of the Slow-Down Rounds (the purple ones) and reduce more the target speed making them a full control ammo. Because now they make a really low damage and I can't really see the difference between normal speed and the ones hit with these rounds, making them  a waste of purple gems.

• Make the slingshot a little faster, I mean in the same time that a player can deal 3 hits with melee, Walter can shoot 2 times, making it a little faster and maybe better than low damage weapons (of course if you use marbles of coursed rounds) making the slingshot a little more useful and more enjoyable to use.

17 hours ago, chirsg said:

The problem with that is he'd be a craft and switch character. you could mass produce ammo by the thousands and put it into the hands of a wigfrid or wolfgang.

While they have a damage increase rather than them it'd likely be more useful on characters like wendy, webber, and wurt for rapid firing.

I play Walter a fair bit solo. The slingshot is fine as it is, and does not need to be faster/stronger/have aoe instakill abilities/be able to craft a basis automatically all by itself. It is not intended to be a complete replacement for melee weapons, but should be used in the circumstances that it is good in:

• gold rounds to farm morsels and feathers by killing birds,
  • poop rounds (together with a melee weapon) to safely kill clockwork bishops,
  • marble or thulecite rounds to kill the ancient guardian faster than most other players by interrupting his charge,
  • any damage dealing rounds to kill shadow creatures very easily,

to give just a few examples. I have not played much with slowing/freezing rounds, but I am sure that that is just inertia and lack of imagination on my part. I fully expect somebody to come along soon enough and come up with brilliant uses for those, just like somebody came up with the great idea of de-aggroing bishops (more proof, if it was ever need, that verbing weirds language) between melee hits. Now that I am typing this, I wonder, for example, whether the slowing rounds would help against the shadow pieces.

Archived