Do you want more boats

Boats!  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want cookie boats to stay?

2. 2. Do you want more types of boats? (If you picked yes, I'd prefer if you specify in the comments)

I heavily feel like there’s room in the game for both the boat cookie platform and Shipwrecked style boats that actually looked like boats.

Theres a lot of structures you can place on and around the cookie boat “Base” and very limited stuff you can put on the Smaller “Not Base” boats.

things like campfires, cooking pots, and fridges would not fit on the little boats... meanwhile- you wouldn’t need to invest all those materials in a fully functional boat cookie just to pluck a few kelps that are just out of reach.

Klei can make the smaller boats able to hold 2 players, and if player two doesn’t like where player 1 is steering the boat they can bail out over the side.

(the real reason DST boats have a plank you can jump off by the way)

But personally.. I prefer boats that actually look like boats, even more so seeing as they ALREADY EXIST in Shipwrecked & Hamlet... But I wouldn’t completely remove the cookie base platform thing either.

1. Boat skins

2. Boat upgrades. Like what was done for the mast, but for the boat.

3. Different shapes would be good I guess, but I feel different shapes will be more focused towards building an entire base at sea rather than a boat. Which is fine. Currently I'm sure the most common use of boats is makeshift bridges, not boats. Not sure that's where Klei would want designs focused on, though.

10 hours ago, A Random Furry said:

Not many people like the cookie boats..

Do you want cookie boats to stay?

Yes - 72.41 | 42 votes
No - 17.24% | 10 votes
Undecided -   10.34% | 6 votes

Your premise, OP, seems to resume itself mostly at colloquial conclusions; opinions based on tiny-but-vocal minority hearsay stemmed from SW bias one sees time-and-again in these forums.

Going at the DST boats concept via a proverbial "clean slate" view (minimal or no-prior DS:SW boating experience) reveals what current poll shows: most people fancy the new multiplayer boating system. It's interactive, complex, fun, and encourages teamwork. Sure, more boats with same "Return of Them" navigational system in place would be nice; but scrapping it for the basic WASD-controlled "shoe" SW boat mechanic some give as example would not fair well at all in current DST Ocean and its challenges. Also yes, more types of current DST boats (various materials used, further upgrades to durability and utility etc) would be welcomed, likewise ability to link them "cookie" boats somehow (perhaps with items from a specific boss so it feels precious/earned). And, similar to masts, some skins would also do wonders aesthetically-wise.

11 hours ago, A Random Furry said:

Not many people like the cookie boats

Just because there's a few people that keep making threads complaining that they don't understand how to use them doesn't mean "not many people like them". Your own poll betrays your opening words, with 49 people saying they want them to stay and a mere 10 saying they want them gone.

The entire point of the ocean is the "cookie boats". If you take away the cooperative sailing, what is left of the ocean? Nothing. Now it's just a vast emptiness with very, very rarely a little formation of salt crystals (that pose no threat at all to you because you do not have cooperative sailing).

35 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Your premise, OP, seems to resume itself mostly at colloquial conclusions; opinions based on tiny-but-vocal minority hearsay stemmed from SW bias one sees time-and-again in these forums.

Going at the DST boats concept via a proverbial "clean slate" view (minimal or no-prior DS:SW boating experience) reveals what current poll shows: most people fancy the new multiplayer boating system. It's interactive, complex, fun, and encourages teamwork. Sure, more boats with same "Return of Them" navigational system in place would be nice; but scrapping it for the basic WASD-controlled "shoe" SW boat mechanic some give as example would not fair well at all in current DST Ocean and its challenges. Also yes, more types of current DST boats (various materials used, further upgrades to durability and utility etc) would be welcomed, likewise ability to link them "cookie" boats somehow (perhaps with items from a specific boss so it feels precious/earned). And, similar to masts, some skins would also do wonders aesthetically-wise.

I agree with most of that except the linking boats part. You would need to clear the whole ocean of rocks in order to be able to sail that around without issue. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but I've always much preferred the idea of a basement to the boat similar to the Slanty Shanty, but with only one room and not expandable. The topside of the boat can already fit everything you need, but it gets cluttered and a little awkward.

30 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I honestly just write down several opinions and I dont really care if anyone has them or not, I just want to make sure no-one gets offended, but you have a good point about the vocal minority

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Just because there's a few people that keep making threads complaining that they don't understand how to use them doesn't mean "not many people like them". Your own poll betrays your opening words, with 49 people saying they want them to stay and a mere 10 saying they want them gone.

The entire point of the ocean is the "cookie boats". If you take away the cooperative sailing, what is left of the ocean? Nothing. Now it's just a vast emptiness with very, very rarely a little formation of salt crystals (that pose no threat at all to you because you do not have cooperative sailing).

Dude, I wasn't talking about SW boats, and I don't want them in DST. I was talking about Different alternatives for the cookie boat, like maybe a speedy but fragile boat

Please dont start an argument in my thread, Its just gonna clog up space

4 minutes ago, A Random Furry said:

Dude, I wasn't talking about SW boats, and I don't want them in DST. I was talking about Different alternatives for the cookie boat, like maybe a speedy but fragile boat

The end of your comment was referring to different similar boats, but both your poll and the start of your comment makes no sense in the context of similar alternatives. If people hate the cookie boats, want the cookie boats gone, want the cookie boats replaced, why would they be happy with a cookie boat except slightly different?

6 minutes ago, A Random Furry said:

Please dont start an argument in my thread, Its just gonna clog up space

A single comment is not an argument. If you don't want "space to be clogged", don't respond to the comment in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

The end of your comment was referring to different similar boats, but both your poll and the start of your comment makes no sense in the context of similar alternatives. If people hate the cookie boats, want the cookie boats gone, want the cookie boats replaced, why would they be happy with a cookie boat except slightly different?

A single comment is not an argument. If you don't want "space to be clogged", don't respond to the comment in the first place.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2229630615

I am talking about boats like this, different shaped boats with different abilities

And I was saying "don't turn this into an argument" because that one comment based of a misunderstanding could easily escalate into a large argument

Lets just agree to disagree and get back on topic

Let me put it this way.. I want, Shipwrecked boats for their look and DESIGN I do not AT ALL ever want back their “Water Shoes” way of being driven, Old Boats, but with Boat Cookie Steering- 

The trade offs would be smaller boats would move and turn slightly faster then the boat cookie, and because they are smaller you have more time to turn and react (and squeeze it into Canals the large cookie can’t dream of fitting into) BUT... yet would also be weaker, and more easily sink able.

OP asked if I wanted different types of boats... not a skin for, or upgrade to the current already existing boat.

What I want: Shipwrecked and Hamlet boat designs with DST sailing Mechanics, now upgraded to support 2 players per boat.

Why I should get that: Because if Klei designs all Ocean content around the large cookie platform then- They obviously made the content that’s in the ocean more suited towards the larger (and therefore more durable) boat cookie.

The TL:DR of everything I’m saying... if Klei’s reason for not adding the old boats (looks only) is because that would break their at sea biomes and boss fights- Then they can easily add SOMETHING at sea that quickly destroys the smaller less durable boats- Like for example: Sea Stacks.. if there’s an area they only want accessible Via the larger boat- You’d need to smash through that wall of sea stacks using your bigger boat cookie, the smaller boat however cant & give At-Sea bosses special Area of Effect Radius attacks that only the larger boat cookie would be able to survive- Meanwhile the smaller boats (or Walani on her Surfboard) would be instantly destroyed.

So yes, there’s room in the game for more types of boats.. I think :) 

I was hoping a new type of boat, the viking long boat, to come with the wigfrid update.
It would also be cool if we got a bigger boat to act more like a foundation for ocean bases than a boat
Maybe a canoe that acts like the boats in shipwreck but requires you to have an oar to move
A sturdier boat that perhaps damages attackers, maybe made with cookie cutter shells
A grassy boat that allows you to plant stuff there
And maybe a boat that allows you to move certain water specific objects (like say, kelp or sea stacks)

22 hours ago, Lemonsnoot said:

I agree with this. I just want more space. Full boat base times. 

You can already do a full boat base, it's just clumsy to set up.

image.thumb.png.8db787952ce4a95ee2cb3034939dd3ed.png

You have to place down the seven "large" structures first (six on the edges and one in the middle), then the "small structures" (ice box & tin fishin' bin), then the chests. I forget when you put the masts and steering wheel, it's been awhile since I sailed. I think it's after the large structures, or maybe after the small structures.

Archived