My hopes for nuclear power.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:56 PM, 0xFADE said:

I'm hoping nuclear is fairly accurate.  Like the reactor just generates constant heat.  Heat that you have to run through turbines to get power out of.  That would be accurate.  You would need more infrastructure in refining the material and making rods than using them.

Better yet a comprehensive redesign of all the power systems to operate a proper heat engines connected to turbines and generators which make the supply of power far less trivial.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, 0xFADE said:

Like the reactor just generates constant heat.

From the little nuggets of info I managed to find in the files...AFAIK the Nuclear category generates an absurd amount of heat.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:37 AM, Lifegrow said:

I want green glowing dupes and radiation sickness...

Seeing this I put the pieces together and realized something. Somewhere along the lines a new death was added to the game:

public class DEATH_POISONED
{
	public static LocString NAME = "Duplicants poisoned";

public static LocString TOOLTIP = "These Duplicants died as a result of poisoning:";
}

I dunno when this was added to the game, but also take this with a grain of salt because a lot of things could've changed in the interim of this build and the DLC.

There is also the matter that there is already death in the game. But diseases are extremely trivial now and basically never deadly. If someone dies it's because they trapped themselves somewhere when digging and building

1 minute ago, Steve8 said:

There is also the matter that there is already death in the game. But diseases are extremely trivial now and basically never deadly. If someone dies it's because they trapped themselves somewhere when digging and building

I get the feeling if you send your dupes into a uranium deposit without lead suits...you're not getting those dupes back.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:03 PM, Kiros said:

Personally I hope they bring the danger back into this game. Ever since they nerfed Slime Lung, I'm not afraid of anything. I hope improperly developed nuclear systems can go critical and either melt down or blow up.

Though what I really wonder is what we need Nuclear power for anyway, when other sources of power are simple and plentiful. Maybe an endgame teleporter that instantly warps dupes/materials to different asteroids, and requires like 50kw to operate?

I'm actually surprised there's no fire mechanic in ONI. Carelessness gets unpunished, especially with such complicated heat exchange. Like overheating equipment, or circuit overloads that result in simple power outage for a few seconds.

Absurd amounts of heat sounds good too.  It should be a lot, running only 2-4 steam turbines wouldn't be enough.  I imagine it will be a full base solution.  Something you send to another asteroid to fully power it.

Poisoned sounds too generic but I guess it is called "radiation poisoning".  Is raw uranium really that bad or is it only really dangerous when it is refined?

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

Is raw uranium really that bad or is it only really dangerous when it is refined?

Both U-235 and U-238 are not highly radioactive and you can spend some time around it without problems. Spent nuclear fuel, however, contains a variety of extremely radioactive matter and can kill you very quickly. This is where you will see radiation sickness.

Plutonium is also very radioactive, but your skin protects you against small external doses okay (plutonium gives off big fat particles that bounce off of everything). Ingesting or breathing in any of this is very bad (no skin to protect you & years of continuous internal irradiation).

6 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Poisoned sounds too generic but I guess it is called "radiation poisoning".  Is raw uranium really that bad or is it only really dangerous when it is refined?

The uranium itself is harmless prior to refinement, but it offgases Radon, which in high concentrations (like those found in uranium mines or very unlucky people's basements) can be rather nasty on your lungs.

Am I the only one who interpreted the "new radiation simulation and overlay" as a thermal management system rather than nuclear power?

A proper way to simulate radiated heat would allow for addressing all the wonky unintuitive magical heat deletion and creation in the game as well.

5 hours ago, oosyrag said:

Am I the only one who interpreted the "new radiation simulation and overlay" as a thermal management system rather than nuclear power?

A proper way to simulate radiated heat would allow for addressing all the wonky unintuitive magical heat deletion and creation in the game as well.

Looks like it. I would be surprised if they revamped the very fundamental heat propagation system now. "Radiation" likely means some simplified version of radiation causes by radioactivity.

Regarding the redundant nature of nuclear power: we don't yet know if current power metas will be viable in the new DLC.  A smaller starting asteroid may mean less resources to build or space to accommodate massive power plants.  Or fuels like oil and natural gas may be largely offloaded to other asteroids, meaning we'll have to establish colonies before we start overproducing power.  If these wind up being the case, getting a lot of power out of compact plants might be a huge boon, even if it means the risk of nuclear meltdowns are present.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

Regarding the redundant nature of nuclear power: we don't yet know if current power metas will be viable in the new DLC.  A smaller starting asteroid may mean less resources to build or space to accommodate massive power plants.  Or fuels like oil and natural gas may be largely offloaded to other asteroids, meaning we'll have to establish colonies before we start overproducing power.  If these wind up being the case, getting a lot of power out of compact plants might be a huge boon, even if it means the risk of nuclear meltdowns are present.

I primarily expect more complex delivery chains. For example, one asteroid where you get the fissile material in some sustainable way (Nuclear Geysers! Yay!), another one where it gets refined and finally a third one where you have the main energy generation. This requires some form of shipping automation and generally more automation. I do not think it would be a good idea to require players to keep processes going manually on multiple asteroids except for a short time. There may also be an new form of dupe transport, as there seems to be a printer on every asteroid now (and maybe dupes can finally go into the printer again...). Altogether, I see a bit of a move into the direction of Factorio.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and we get space pirates instead ;-)

Personally, I look at the Research Tree and see:

• 18 focuses for Novice Research
  • 51 focuses for Advanced Research
  • 6 focuses for Interstellar Research

That higher level Interstellar Research is very lacking. Making the assumption that radium/radiation is an Interstellar level material, then I see Klei adding many additional research focuses for radium/radiation:

• Medical radiation therapy (more powerful treatments for sick or injured duplicants; the latter as simply as an x-ray station)
  • Critter radiation mutation (stations that allow one to change a critter from one morph type to another morph type, perhaps new morphs)
  • Fission/fusion rockets
  • Fission/fusion power generators/sources
  • Radiation manipulation to create subspace folds and instantly transport duplicants and material from place to place
  • Advanced transmutation to change one element to another
  • Gamma radiation based Hulk (TM?) vitamin chews to create super strong duplicants
  • Radium radioluminescence in the use of gaseous radium, a radioactive material, to create visible light
  • Radium powered miners that can destroy neutronium based POI

On 8/6/2020 at 5:59 PM, nakomaru said:

If nuclear power would be similar in anyway to reality, even tiny deposits would have such high energy density so as to be infinite.

Factorio sort of follows that principle. You need a minuscule amount of uranium for fuel cells there. But it works because your power requirements can go through the roof if you build extremely big. In ONI power consumption is a lot more limited and you also have a lot more power generation options in general. So nuclear can't really be too good or it would screw up the game balance

IMO, I would suggest that there are 2 given (not including those costom-build) nuclear power plant 1 would be compact, take less resourse to build(not easy resourses to get) but very inefficient. This would be a starting power source for your colony on other astroid. The second nuclear power plant should be massive, but generate quite alot of power, this would be for when the colony is self sustaining. And there also could be building or itemcall uranium rod and control rod. IF is item then it needed to run the reactor (premade). IF is building then is needed for coustom build reactor.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:26 AM, oosyrag said:

I also thought (for a second) that radiation would include black body radiation, which would be interesting. But it seems almost certain they only mean radioactive decays and nuclear power.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, Smife said:

I'm actually surprised there's no fire mechanic in ONI.

Your base is filled with pure oxygen.. there are rooms where oxygen and hydrogen are together in the appropriate amounts to create water.   There are rooms full of other combustibles, such as natural gas, petroleum, and ethanol.  Fires in this game would either have to not follow earth rules, or they'd be extremely detrimental to your base. 

"Whatcha doin', Frank?"
"Well, Bahni, I found this box of sticks in a desk drawer with the name 'matches.'"
"Oh.  How do they work?"
"Well, the diagram says you drag the red end on the box like this..." *scraaatch-BOOOM!*

<<<COLONY HAS BEEN LOST>>>

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Your base is filled with pure oxygen.. there are rooms where oxygen and hydrogen are together in the appropriate amounts to create water.   There are rooms full of other combustibles, such as natural gas, petroleum, and ethanol.  Fires in this game would either have to not follow earth rules, or they'd be extremely detrimental to your base. 

"Whatcha doin', Frank?"
"Well, Bahni, I found this box of sticks in a desk drawer with the name 'matches.'"
"Oh.  How do they work?"
"Well, the diagram says you drag the red end on the box like this..." *scraaatch-BOOOM!*

<<<COLONY HAS BEEN LOST>>>

shutandupandtakemymoney.jpg

On 8/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, Smife said:

I'm actually surprised there's no fire mechanic in ONI. Carelessness gets unpunished, especially with such complicated heat exchange. Like overheating equipment, or circuit overloads that result in simple power outage for a few seconds.

Certain gases and liquids (like chlorine and I think also ethanol) used to have the flammable property, but it didn't do anything. I think the devs planned on making horrific fires happen, but couldn't balance it. I think this was the same with the "toxic" property, which actually had a numerical value, but also got pulled out.

Hopefully a future DLC will add some...excitement.

i hope they got somthing like Radioactive Decay, Transmutation the death of lead 
colonizing a radioactive asteroid and invasion of nuclear waste alien, explore the Earth...
Fusion Generator is inevitable and it better be big and customizable
hmm maybe the rocket from teaser gif is nuclear waste rocket
better nerf endgame power

Archived