My hopes for nuclear power.

15 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

or they'd be extremely detrimental to your base.

As they should, and I'm fine with them not following earth rules, it's ONI after all :)

12 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Certain gases and liquids (like chlorine and I think also ethanol) used to have the flammable property, but it didn't do anything. I think the devs planned on making horrific fires happen, but couldn't balance it. I think this was the same with the "toxic" property, which actually had a numerical value, but also got pulled out.

Hopefully a future DLC will add some...excitement.

Gases should be more than simply breathable or not. Dupes should be less sturdy and not make themselves nearly immune to environmental hazards by holding their breath (being fully submerged in combustible liquids or exposed to toxic gases like chlorine for example, we have atmo suits for that). We already have stuff like disease clinics and all sorts of meds collecting dust in our bases. Why not expand on that? This, also fires, It's just a matter of time imo. I remember one dude on discord laughed when I said that radiation gameplay will suit ONI 8-)

1 hour ago, Smife said:

I remember one dude on discord laughed when I said that radiation gameplay will suit ONI 8-)

Well, we have some indication that radiation will be an issue for dupes. Both the "static" and the animated picture from the DLC update shows dupes in grey suits with extra-heavy helmets and face-plates. 

14 hours ago, Smife said:

... Dupes should be less sturdy and not make themselves nearly immune to environmental hazards by holding their breath (being fully submerged in combustible liquids or exposed to toxic gases like chlorine for example, we have atmo suits for that). We already have stuff like disease clinics and all sorts of meds collecting dust in our bases. Why not expand on that? This, also fires, It's just a matter of time imo. I remember one dude on discord laughed when I said that radiation gameplay will suit ONI 8-)

I definitely think it's gotten a bit silly on the atmo suit and chemicals front. People are basically in the lategame only putting dupes in atmo suits because of breathing issues...as their dupes run in clouds of sour gas and chlorine to wade into pools of ethanol. Really, I'd like it if carbon dioxide caused dupes to get sick and lose athletics, so it wasn't something so ignorable for so long.

12 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, we have some indication that radiation will be an issue for dupes. Both the "static" and the animated picture from the DLC update shows dupes in grey suits with extra-heavy helmets and face-plates. 

Weirdly, the dupe operating what is almost certainly a radiation-related machine only has an atmo suit, it's the dupe carrying some kind of nuclear backpack up to refill the rocket that has the radiation suit. Similarly, the static image shows a dupe in a radiation suit holding some kind of glowing green rock, so maybe the idea is it's the materials that are hazardous to carry around more than anything else, and machines contain them. That'd be similar to the germ system.
I'm hoping the suits are made out of lead, and atmo suits stop being so open about what metals you can use.

3 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Weirdly, the dupe operating what is almost certainly a radiation-related machine only has an atmo suit, it's the dupe carrying some kind of nuclear backpack up to refill the rocket that has the radiation suit. Similarly, the static image shows a dupe in a radiation suit holding some kind of glowing green rock, so maybe the idea is it's the materials that are hazardous to carry around more than anything else, and machines contain them. That'd be similar to the germ system.
I'm hoping the suits are made out of lead, and atmo suits stop being so open about what metals you can use.

That is pretty much my thinking as well. Carrying the stuff is dangerous and they basically re-use a variant of the germ system for it, but the normal exo-suits do not protect against it. May also come with additional slow-down (athletics) because the lead-suits are so heavy and maybe an additional skill to deal with that. Or nuclear dupes will just be slow. Finally a real use for the tube-system ;-)

There is ample opportunity to mess this up, but I expect Klei will make a good first attempt and very much remembers that the rest of the game required a lot of user feedback and one major revamp in most areas to become really good. For space, the DLC will be that revamp. For the "Radioactive Update", that one still has to come, because we are only getting the first iteration with the DLC. Will probably require another 6 months or so to get to the quality of the rest of the game, bit that is totally fine. Looking back, one thing that kept me coming back to ONI is that it changes in major ways several times.

On 8/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, Nebbie said:

Certain gases and liquids (like chlorine and I think also ethanol) used to have the flammable property, but it didn't do anything. I think the devs planned on making horrific fires happen, but couldn't balance it. I think this was the same with the "toxic" property, which actually had a numerical value, but also got pulled out.

Hopefully a future DLC will add some...excitement.

Fires in ONI's pure oxygen environments would need to be toned down from how they react in the real world, but it wouldn't be the first time real world physics were nerfed for the sake of gameplay (see: lack of falling damage).  I'd be thrilled if the flammable and toxic properties were reintroduced, as there are too few environmental hazards, meaning there's little reason to employ dedicated colony doctors (especially since germs were nerfed from their original iteration).

Archived