[Game Update] - 418572

• Developer
  • Woby will now drop all items when Walter despawns due to death in Wilderness worlds.
  • Poop Pellets can now be used as fuel for fire pits.
  • Fixed a save/load bug where the inventory icon for the crafted statues would show as a marble statue.
  • Fixed a save/load bug with Moose/Goose Eggs and Nests.
  • Fixed the art for the burnt down Siesta Lean-to.
  • Performance Optimizations
    • Refactored how inventory items calculate their moisture value. This should also reduce lag while raining (and while items dry off after a rain)
    • Herd members will no longer spawn a herd object if killed before a herd has been found
    • Creatures/structures using SetRetargetFunction now have a staggered start time between 0 and the defined retarget period (so they do not all update on the same frame).
    • Optimized the Houndius Shootius’s retarget function.

View full update

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:
  • Herd members will no longer spawn a herd object if killed before a herd has been found

welp now we cant create new volt goat herds anymore, meaning that if your world generates with one herd you're stuck with it forever...

wish the devs would introduce a new feature or mechanic to compensate for this so we can get new herds, ruins a lot of late-games funsies not having it

Edited by splorange
  • Like 14
  • Sad 13

2 minutes ago, splorange said:

wish the devs would introduce a new feature or mechanic to compensate for this, ruins a lot of late-games funsies

Herds need baby beefalo counterparts. We need catcoons to naturally spawn kittykits depending on the location.

• Like 11

Just now, minespatch said:

Dst needs renewable mechanics for non-renewable items,structures and others.

26 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:
  • Fixed a save/load bug with Moose/Goose Eggs and Nests.

OH NO!!!  Is this the bug to duplicate moose/goose eggs?

I don't mind bug fixes but there should be a better path to create rain somewhere pls!  I think being able to spawn rain gives a much better counterplay to summer smoolder than mindlessly building flingos everywhere.

• Like 5

I agree with the sentiment that people were using and enjoying these bugs (mosling egg and volt goat herd duping) and that it would be nice to have official features with the same general effects. The goat herd duping bug gave us a workaround for being stuck with small amounts of goat herds from bad worldgen, while mosling egg duping gave us a workaround for temporary for summer wildfires (via summoning rain with moslings during summer.)

Official methods to deal with bad goat herd numbers and create large amounts of summer rain would be really nice, and I'd encourage people to continue expressing that you enjoyed the bug(s) and would like official content like it.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 26

• Developer

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that volt goat numbers have been an issue for along time. Maybe we will find a way to address this in the Return of Them updates. I was not aware of the reason people were duplicating the moose/goose nests. An item that can trigger a rain as a means to combat wildfires sounds reasonable. 
I'll bring these up with the rest of the team

• Like 12
  • Thanks 59

8 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Maybe we will find a way to address this in the Return of Them updates

Any sort of leash or lunar food that'd differentiate a goat from its original heard and allow players to create a new heard, maybe?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
41 minutes ago, splorange said:

welp now we cant create new volt goat herds anymore

This hotfix might not have changed anything. For the bug we fixed, a volt goat would have had to been killed within the first 5 seconds of a new world. I'm not sure how you were creating new herds before.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brago-sama said:

There's still always the telelocator staff if you want it to rain everyday during summer, unless that's been patched and I don't know about it 

Yes, but you kinda have to spend the rest of the year farming living logs and purple gems to make it rain all summer this way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

This hotfix might not have changed anything. For the bug we fixed, a volt goat would have had to been killed within the first 5 seconds of a new world. I'm not sure how you were creating new herds before.

I believe this is one of those cases where relogging kinda "initializes" certain entities, making them think they just started existing. The way the bug worked is that killing a volt goat fast enough after starting up a server would result in a new herd.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that volt goat numbers have been an issue for along time. Maybe we will find a way to address this in the Return of Them updates. I was not aware of the reason people were duplicating the moose/goose nests. An item that can trigger a rain as a means to combat wildfires sounds reasonable. 

Perhaps give us a small chance to spawn a new Volt Goat herd whenever we follow the tracks of a Suspicious Dirt Pile in the Oasis Desert (during summer and only if there are less than two or three herds), same for Beefalos in Savannah. That would also give players a chance to restore griefed herds. Or a Homeless MacTusk party during Winter, in case of solo tusk servers.

(I also wanted to note that the Klei Official Servers didn't update yet.)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

It was the first 5 seconds the entity started existing. It could be done by re-loading the world Like Sunset Skye mentioned or setting up an elaborate trap to kill the goat around the time it spawns off-screen. Herds could be created both ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

You only needed to reload the server to gain access to the 5 second duplication window.

30 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

AddRoom("LightningBluffLightning", {
					colour={r=0.3,g=0.2,b=0.1,a=0.3},
					value = GROUND.DIRT_NOISE,
					tags = {"RoadPoison", "sandstorm"},
					contents =  {
					                countprefabs= {
					                    lightninggoat = function () return 2 + math.random(4) end,
					                },
									distributepercent = 0.08,
									distributeprefabs =
									{
										marsh_bush = .8,
										oasis_cactus = 0.8,
									},
								}
					})

Code taken from scripts/map/rooms/forest/DLCrooms.lua

Right now, World Generation spawns between 3-6 Volt Goats in the Oasis Desert. The problem with this is that when these Volt Goats are spawned, they will most likely merge together into the same herd, which makes it possible to roll low and only get 1 Volt Goat herd. Might I suggest replacing the line

lightninggoat = function () return 2 + math.random(4) end,

with this line

lightninggoatherd = 2,

This way, instead of spawning Volt Goats, World Generation will spawn in the Volt Goat herds themselves.

However, there's still the problem of the herd going extinct once all Volt Goats in the herd are killed. This isn't a problem with other herds like Beefalo since World Generation spawns in many more of them and their herds can be duplicated.

This can be solved simply by removing line 31 in scripts/prefabs/lightninggoatherd.lua

inst.components.herd:SetOnEmptyFn(inst.Remove)

If the herd's onempty function is nil, then Volt Goats will continue to respawn even if their entire herd is killed off, making it impossible for them to go extinct in long worlds.

For the summer rain, perhaps we could get an item similar to the Dripple Pipes from Shipwrecked that is crafted with the Beefalo Horn instead of the Water Beefalo Horn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1