[Game Update] - 418572

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that volt goat numbers have been an issue for along time. Maybe we will find a way to address this in the Return of Them updates. I was not aware of the reason people were duplicating the moose/goose nests. An item that can trigger a rain as a means to combat wildfires sounds reasonable. 
I'll bring these up with the rest of the team

There should be a new wind instrument that summons rain, crafted with a Narwail horn or something 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Brago-sama said:

There's still always the telelocator staff if you want it to rain everyday during summer, unless that's been patched and I don't know about it 

That isn't a bug so I don't think it will get patched.

The amount of rain influence each cast gives is very low.  You need to burn an entire telelocator staff + some to actually get rain started.  If you want to cover an entire summer you would need about 10 staves.  Meanwhile a trapped herd of mosslings would create rain instantly from a single lightning strike.  I don't think we need it to be that good, but somewhere in between would be nice.  I like the Dripple Pipes from SW.  If we got something like that with 5 uses that each created about a day of rain I'd be super happy with that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

I was not aware of the reason people were duplicating the moose/goose nests. An item that can trigger a rain as a means to combat wildfires sounds reasonable

Might I suggest the Malbatross Beak to be used in some fashion? It'll give us a good use for its beak :)

2 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

For the summer rain, perhaps we could get an item similar to the Dripple Pipes from Shipwrecked that is crafted with the Beefalo Horn instead of the Water Beefalo Horn.

Just for reference, the rain summoned by Moslings typically lasted about 1-2 days during Summer (like an extra day outside of it), and it would typically go from light rain to heavy rain back to light rain, making the world wet and safe from wildfires (wet world = no wildfires). At least that's my experience of heavily using Moslings for rain.

I'm pretty sure the Drizzle Pipe in SP only lasts for like half a day and its like a light rain that doesn't even make the world wet (iirc, correct me if I'm wrong), which would be needed to combat wildfires (wet world =  no wildfires).

I think the Howling Conch was much better? 4 uses for a Summer, something like that?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I'm pretty sure the Drizzle Pipe in SP only lasts for like half a day and its like a light rain that doesn't even make the world wet (iirc, correct me if I'm wrong), which would be needed to combat wildfires (wet world =  no wildfires).

I think the Howling Conch was much better? 4 uses for a Summer, something like that?

There's no consistent number, really. The wiki says Dripple Pipes make 4 minutes of light rain, but it's really not that simple when dealing with summer rain. Sometimes it creates light rain that instantly stops, sometimes it creates light rain that lasts 4 minutes, sometimes it creates light rain that resets itself out of nowhere and becomes heavy rain that lasts much longer than 4 minutes (like spring rain.) It's just not consistent.

Wildfires also don't have those wetness mechanics in DS, that was added later in DST due to rain being able to stop the sandstorm mid-summer. Instead DS wildfires have the simple mechanic of: it's raining? wildfires can't happen. It's not raining? wildfires can happen! There's also the difference that in DS, wildfires can happen even at dusk and night, unlike DST. 

And a Howling Conch would definitely not take just 4 uses for a whole summer. The thing that the Howling Conch had above the dripple pipes was that it has 10 uses and doesn't require water beefalo horns, which were a valuable resource pre-Hamlet, but mechanically it's near-identical to dripple pipes when used in RoG.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Perhaps give us a small chance to spawn a new Volt Goat herd whenever we follow the tracks of a Suspicious Dirt Pile in the Oasis Desert (during summer and only if there are less than two or three herds), same for Beefalos in Savannah. That would also give players a chance to restore griefed herds. Or a Homeless MacTusk party during Winter, in case of solo tusk servers.

(I also wanted to note that the Klei Official Servers didn't update yet.)

this is an excellent idea, makes getting new volt goat herds natural, i also like the idea of them only having the chance to spawn while tracking a dirt pile in rain

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

There's no consistent number, really. The wiki says Dripple Pipes make 4 minutes of light rain, but it's really not that simple when dealing with summer rain. Sometimes it creates light rain that instantly stops, sometimes it creates light rain that lasts 4 minutes, sometimes it creates light rain that resets itself out of nowhere and becomes heavy rain that lasts much longer than 4 minutes (like spring rain.) It's just not consistent.

Wildfires also don't have those wetness mechanics in DS, that was added later in DST due to rain being able to stop the sandstorm mid-summer. Instead DS wildfires have the simple mechanic of: it's raining? wildfires can't happen. It's not raining? wildfires can happen! There's also the difference that in DS, wildfires can happen even at dusk and night, unlike DST. 

And a Howling Conch would definitely not take just 4 uses for a whole summer. The thing that the Howling Conch had above the dripple pipes was that it has 10 uses and doesn't require water beefalo horns, which were a valuable resource pre-Hamlet, but mechanically it's near-identical to dripple pipes when used in RoG.

Thanks!

I guess my main concern is that there would be enough rain to make the world wet so that there'd be no wildfires, as we mentioned.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that volt goat numbers have been an issue for along time. Maybe we will find a way to address this in the Return of Them updates. I was not aware of the reason people were duplicating the moose/goose nests. An item that can trigger a rain as a means to combat wildfires sounds reasonable. 
I'll bring these up with the rest of the team

Scott, I just wanted thank you and the team for being open to this sort of feedback! It is not often the case where you see non-game breaking bugs/exploits (like the volt goat duping method) used by players to improve QoL being rightfully incorporated into the game by developers :wilson_smile: Feels like a win-win for both players and devs.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On 6/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, splorange said:

welp now we cant create new volt goat herds anymore, meaning that if your world generates with one herd you're stuck with it forever...

wish the devs would introduce a new feature or mechanic to compensate for this so we can get new herds, ruins a lot of late-games funsies not having it

Yeah I know how are you supposed to get more than two goat horns?

• Developer

Thank you for all the feedback and ideas on how to repopulate volt goat herds. We went with the suggestion to have following the tracks of a Suspicious Dirt Pile, in the oasis area, during a spring rain, result in a Volt Goat. This is currently available in the beta.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11

33 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Thank you for all the feedback and ideas on how to repopulate volt goat herds. We went with the suggestion to have following the tracks of a Suspicious Dirt Pile, in the oasis area, during a spring rain, result in a Volt Goat. This is currently available in the beta.

Do you mean when you first start following the tracks, or if the tracks end in an oasis area?

Because I can imagine it being incredibly frustrating trying to find a volt goat, only for:

A: The track leading outside the oasis

B: Having the rain stop while you’re following the tracks

C: Losing the footprint because the ground is wet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

:wilson_shocked: That's great! That could help get us more volt goats in the future. It'd be like a scavenger hunt.

• Like 2