The Uncanny Amount Of Coincidences Between Webber and Wilson

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Even after reading all those quotes I myself don't see any strong connection between Wilson and Webber beyond flimsy circumstantial and quite debatable aspects.

I know I keep using the connection between Maxwell and Wendy/Abigail as a basis, but need I remind that before DST, the only connections between Maxwell and Wendy was the fact that Jack Carter mentioned having twins. (And debatably the fact that Wendy found a "strange kinship with him," which could very easily be argued as just a result of their grim outlooks on life.) And before March 2020, the only direct connections in DST was Maxwell calling Abigail's flower "familiar," which could also be argued to just be a result of his knowledge/experience from the Throne.

Why cherry-pick which circumstantial evidence sounds plausible and which doesn't?

(And no one seems to even be acknowledging the fact that part of why this thread exists is to just see if Klei might show any interest in the concept.)

9 minutes ago, Mirthandir said:

I know I keep using the connection between Maxwell and Wendy/Abigail as a basis, but need I remind that before DST, the only connections between Maxwell and Wendy was the fact that Jack Carter mentioned having twins. (And debatably the fact that Wendy found a "strange kinship with him," which could very easily be argued as just a result of their grim outlooks on life.) And before March 2020, the only direct connections in DST was Maxwell calling Abigail's flower "familiar," which could also be argued to just be a result of his knowledge/experience from the Throne.

Why cherry-pick which circumstantial evidence sounds plausible and which doesn't?

(And no one seems to even be acknowledging the fact that part of why this thread exists is to just see if Klei might show any interest in the concept.)

Imagine: the magic of... retoconning :crushed:

12 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I'm eh on whether the admittedly extensive similarities mean they had anything to do with each other pre-Constant, but I have to respect the work you put into collecting them. This looks like it took a while.

Aside from Webber either not recognising Wilson or not acknowledging the connection (Wilson not recognising Webber makes sense, with the distorted voice and exoskeleton covering up his human half's features), there's one other thing that throws a wrench into this for me: Webber talks about both his father and his mother, but while Wilson's fatherly tendencies are established, like most of the survivors he shows no indication of his romantic tastes or history. In order for the two characters' backstories to match up Wilson can't have been a single father, but adding a failed marriage or dead spouse makes it an even bigger chunk of his life to have been completely left out of the backstory we've seen. It's not impossible to explain this, maybe he just doesn't want to think about the subject, but I do think it makes this scenario less likely.

This, too. I'd always viewed Wilson as being married to his profession [regardless of his ability] more than anything else. 

I'd also like to throw out there Wilson's penchant for dad jokes.

2 hours ago, Mirthandir said:

I mean, Maxwell never eluded to owning (or being loaned) rabbits either. His only real quote even faintly eluding to it is his quote for Bunnymen ("Reminds me of my old act.")

The quote for Bunnymen does allude to the rabbit act, because they are white like the rabbits that William used back then. Even just one quote is enough to make a connection. Wilson has 0 quotes connecting him to goat raising. 

Webber's quotes also establish that he grew up on a farm. Meanwhile, Wilson's quotes don't seem to favor a farmer's lifestyle. For example, his quote for Flowers is "It's pretty but it smells like a common laborer." And, in Wilson's Gorge quotes Mumsy reminds him of his old nanny and the Streetlights remind him of home, which sounds like he grew up with an affluent family in the city, and thus would make it very unlikely that he got into farming or animal husbandry at some point.

Meanwhile, Webber's Gorge quotes indicate that he is familiar with a hoe and that seeing wheat makes him wish he were "back at the mill." Wilson doesn't share these sentiments. When you think about it, there were a lot of opportunities in the Gorge to strengthen the connections between Wilson and Webber, but instead the Gorge quotes prove that these two characters have very different backgrounds.

2 hours ago, Mirthandir said:

But, when they did finally confirm the familial relationship between Max and the twins, it didn't contradict anything in their characters. If Klei did confirm that Wilson and Webber were related, they would have to retcon a lot because their backgrounds don't add up.

4 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

Webber's quotes also establish that he grew up on a farm. Meanwhile, Wilson's quotes don't seem to favor a farmer's lifestyle. For example, his quote for Flowers is "It's pretty but it smells like a common laborer." And, in Wilson's Gorge quotes Mumsy reminds him of his old nanny and the Streetlights remind him of home, which sounds like he grew up with an affluent family in the city, and thus would make it very unlikely that he got into farming or animal husbandry at some point.

Meanwhile, Webber's Gorge quotes indicate that he is familiar with a hoe and that seeing wheat makes him wish he were "back at the mill." Wilson doesn't share these sentiments. When you think about it, there were a lot of opportunities in the Gorge to strengthen the connections between Wilson and Webber, but instead the Gorge quotes prove that these two characters have very different backgrounds.

How exactly would the fact that Wilson doesn't have more direct quotes disprove that he could have lived on a farm at any point? Webber's quotes seem to indicate that their mother was the one who usually worked on crops and whatnot, rather than their father. Wilson still could have very easily lived on a farm, with Webber and their mother taking care of most of the actual outdoors work.

Wilson's home is already out of the way; he already canonically lived in a pretty isolated place. He might have originally come from an affluent lifestyle, but his home in the Forbidden Knowledge trailer is very clearly a bit rundown and out of the way of any other civilization.

If this wasn't the home Webber grew up in, Wilson could have easily moved. If it was, Wilson could have easily just stopped taking care of the farm to the point where there wasn't one anymore, or possibly sold off everything it originally had to help fund his experiments. The "gentleman scientist" moniker basically translates/translated to "independent scientist", as in one with no federal funding, after all.

1 hour ago, Mirthandir said:

How exactly would the fact that Wilson doesn't have more direct quotes disprove that he could have lived on a farm at any point? Webber's quotes seem to indicate that their mother was the one who usually worked on crops and whatnot, rather than their father. Wilson still could have very easily lived on a farm, with Webber and their mother taking care of most of the actual outdoors work.

But again, Webber says his father raised goats. So Webber's father was a goat farmer at the least. So if Wilson is his father then he is a goat farmer, too and goat farmers work outside. The main thesis of Wilson's character is that he is a wannabe scientist, this informs all his writing, just as being a librarian is to Wickerbottom and being a strong man is to Wolfgang. It just feels weird to me, the idea that Wilson is also a farmer.

Sure things can change in the future but as it stands the trajectory of these two characters in particular seem to be going in different paths. It's just easier for me to believe that they are not related.

Also, from what I researched about independent scientists a lot of them supplemented their income with jobs in medicine, which would add up for Wilson considering all his quotes about being familiar with amputation, the unimplemented bone saw item that might be associated with him, and the skeleton in his attic.

2 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

But again, Webber says his father raised goats. So Webber's father was a goat farmer at the least. So if Wilson is his father then he is a goat farmer, too and goat farmers work outside.

I mean, who's to say that Wilson didn't have some kind of Very Specific Experiment he was running at some point? I know this one is a little more far-fetched, but it's still plausible.

2 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

Also, from what I researched about independent scientists a lot of them supplemented their income with jobs in medicine, which would add up for Wilson considering all his quotes about being familiar with amputation, the unimplemented bone saw item that might be associated with him, and the skeleton in his attic.

That's my theory too, both selling off the farm's assets and money working in the med field could reasonably go toward his experiments. I'd imagine, especially in the 1910's/20's, funding his own personal projects didn't exactly come cheap. He still has to, ya know, feed himself and presumably pay some property expenses.

I've frankly never been a fan of this theory but I do have an interesting possibility for it (based on nothing but the fact that it's interesting).

Webber could be Wilson's future son after he escapes the Constant.

We already know the way time works in relation to the real world and the Constant is wacky. So why not? Maybe a lil Webby ends up unearthing one of his father's old machines: the portal.

Do I believe this? Not really. But it's fun to think about.

I honestly think that Webber just happened to have a scientist dad and now just looks up to Wilson.
Isn't Wilson the person who canonically revived Webber? I can certainly see this very impressionable fella trying to mimic Wilson and share his opinions, plus Wilson also fitting his dad's description of "gentleman scientist with beard" is in character.
If I were to theorize a character being Webber's dad, I would be more inclined to believe it would be Wagstaff because he seems more social and optimistic yet very scientific while Wilson is way more reserved and hermit like

5 hours ago, Greggorizing said:

I were to theorize a character being Webber's dad, I would be more inclined to believe it would be Wagstaff because he seems more social and optimistic yet very scientific while Wilson is way more reserved and hermit like

Eh, Wagstaff seems pretty up there in age, if anything he'd be their grandpa

Idiots, it is Wilson the mother is obviously the spider queen.

Spoiler

It’s just a sarcastic joke, saying that before people get annoyed

That’s a pretty good theory though! I’m not 100% sure about it though. The evidence is okay, and it is pretty logical.

6 hours ago, MagicalSkies said:

That’s a pretty good theory though! I’m not 100% sure about it though. The evidence is okay, and it is pretty logical.

Agreed.  Even though I'm not 100% on board with it, this has to be one of the most well researched fan theories I've seen.  I don't even always put that much work into ideas I have in real life, haha.

Webber can befriend spiders, Wilson can also befriend spiders.. I mean- one of them gets followed by an army of spiders (but not attacked) The other one can simply run from an army of spiders *shrugs*

Meh.. close enough!

On 6/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, Hornete said:

Obviously, Webber's father is Warly, I mean just look at his goatee! He's probably growin steel wool /s

Anyhow this is a really nice theory, there is quite a lot of quotes that could indicate this, I don't personally believe in it but it's clear you put a lotta effort into this, :D

Honestly he should be able to shave his beard for steel wool.

Obviously, Webber's father is Warly, I mean just look at his goatee! He's probably growin steel wool /s

Anyhow this is a really nice theory, there is quite a lot of quotes that could indicate this, I don't personally believe in it but it's clear you put a lotta effort into this, :D

On 6/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, Mirthandir said:

Also the fact that now we can more or less evaluate that the twins were born 11 of November 1903, William presumably met with Jack after the train accident (Aug 1904), so the girls were so young that no surprise William can't recognize Wendy (she doesn't look like her father anyway). Wendy, on the other hand, could also have problems with recognizing her uncle - William doesn't feel like having a stache like his bro he has been sitting on the Throne for so long he indeed looked miserable at the end of DS. This and an inevitable passage of time. 

In Webber's case, if the theory is true, if he remembers his father's beard, it is odd that he doesn't recognize the unique shape of his father's hair (while looking at the effigy for example). I personally believe we are yet to meet Webby's father - as a scientist, he would have done everything to get in the Constant to find his son. OR he's dead or missing, and Webber wanted to find him, so he fell for Maxwell's trick ("That's the guy who said he could help us").

Decided to throw my two cents.

So, first of all, and don't quote me on that yet because I haven't read all characters' quotes on certain items, but OP may be falling into Texas Sharpshooter fallacy – focusing on similarities while not seeing solid differences.

Dear OP,  you can't pick up random coincidences and say "well maybe it's far-fetched, but who knows". Yes, who knows, but going that way could lead us into thinking Wilson comes from the same bloodline as Nicholas II of Russia because his hair looks like a crown and he says that Thulecite Crown fits him. 

Now,  Webber says that his father worked on something resembling Alchemy Engine. We can assume Webber is around the age of Wendy - 8-11 years old. Being a small child, he might have mistaken AE with some farm equipment.

The argument of Wilson remembering a city and Webber having memories of countryside is a strong one. Wilson clearly isn't a person related to farming, we can see that when examining  farming equipment.

Lastly, Wilson's beard. From what we've seen Wilson only started growing a beard in the Constant, as there's no material of him being a hairy man before the events of Forbidden Knowledge. Hell, there are speculations that the rapid beard growth is the result of the potion that blew up on his face in that video. 

Feel free to discuss what I said. 

Archived