Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th!

17 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

I hope that Walter will still lose sanity from eating monster meat, Deerclop's eyeball, rot, etcetera, despite not being scared of anything (because it makes sense that eating yucky stuff makes you feel uneasy). Hopefully we are mere moments away from finding out how a character who relies on ranged attacks will spice up the dynamics in DST. Soon, soon, soon.:D

To be fair even I'd he didn't lose it from the sanity drain of the food he'd without doubt lose it from the hp damage which reminds me no cactus for him without outside help it seems.

Well technically you could but that'd defeat the pupurose .

1 hour ago, Superwolfkid said:

Honestly, it's kind of funny how much hype we have over this game getting new content even if it's just something simple. Like it's weird but suprisingly wholesome, and it makes me glad that we have a whole community of people to celebrate with rather then just myself

Bruh idk if you've seen what forums were like when Forge was originally dropping. That was some serious hype. It's in this comunity's blood to hype up every update's release date

55 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Bruh idk if you've seen what forums were like when Forge was originally dropping.

Holy crap you just brought back a flood of memories. The hype that was going on during that time was INTENSE.

5d0982fa55b07_sweatingguy.thumb.png.0209c753c4e1d3595387e1b375da4978.png

I think JoeW had to basically put the forums into Slow Mode because of the wait. :wilson_ecstatic:

45 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Klei tends to release character updates from 1-3 PM EST. dont be disappointed if the update doesnt fall in that timeframe though.

No matter, the waffles can wait until 9pm, cause 3 est is 9pm over here. I saved them waffles for this occasion

I'm happy he's free, but boy is he a bit on the heavier side of quirk-overload.
Here's the compiled (and broadly oversimplified) list of his perks, as well as my opinion on them, do keep in mind that this is all speculative and based on "what does this change, how much does this change and is it a good change":

Green: yes please more
Yellow: kinda forgettable
Red: k but why

-innate ranged weapon (Nice and original, depends on damage/mechanics at play)

-innate freeze, slow, de-aggro and ranged tentacle spawn (If it's easy to craft, it's too much. If it's hard to craft, then only the de-aggro has no cheaper alternative)

-innate cooking speed (Character-building, I guess? It's not _bad_, I just don't see a need)

-innate hunger drain reduction on sleeping (Alongside the cheaper fur roll, this ensures Walter will be one of the easiest to maintain)

-innate companion (Cool, but the variables will dictate whether she's ok or op)

-innate extra storage and monstermeat-based ride (Again, variables like storage size and speed will dictate her viability)

-innate bee weakness (a nice weakness forces an essential gameplay change. This is not a nice weakness)

-general sanity loss negation (I mean... why? Sure he's fearless, but does he really need another buff, especially one that's not really centered around his playstyle? he's already ranged, why would he even come close to enemies to lose sanity under normal circumstances? If anything, an increased sanity loss near enemies would better incentivize his ranged/support playstyle)

-sanity loss upon damage (Exactly like this! this, along the already existing sanity drain near enemies would better solidify Walter as a ranged archetype)

-sanity loss upon staying wounded (if it weren't for the immunity to darkness-induced sanity-loss, this would force Walter players to be very mindful of their stats...)

-sanity gain near trees (syke lol just stand near trees, be a woodsman)

-sanity gain to survivors near campfire (a team perk is a nice perk, reminds me of DD's camping phase)

-craftable sanity loss negation (Seems... useless? unless it's got nice damage absorption/durability, you're switching sanity for health)

-cheaper fur roll (sure call it a tent, but if it's mobile, you sleep on it, and it supposedly recovers health, it's a fur roll. I assume it'll be cheaper, otherwise, why craft it?)

Don't get me wrong, I will play the crap out of him when he's out, and I'll still praise clay for their generosity and dedication to the game, I just want to give feedback on the perks and how they seem to be spinning too many plates at once.

I really doubt he would be a TRUE ranged character. The slingshot maybe just a boomerang with some extra effect, like freeze, slow etc. The no-sanity drain could make him a good kite-er fighter. With a Wortox it could be so effective. (after the fight Walter can tell some story near the campfire, right before he sleep through the night) You even can slow the enemy and maybe this can make new kiting patterns, maybe.

37 minutes ago, AdventZen said:

I'm happy he's free, but boy is he a bit on the heavier side of quirk-overload.
Here's the compiled (and broadly oversimplified) list of his perks, as well as my opinion on them, do keep in mind that this is all speculative and based on "what does this change, how much does this change and is it a good change":

Green: yes please more
Yellow: kinda forgettable
Red: k but why

-innate ranged weapon (Nice and original, depends on damage/mechanics at play)

-innate freeze, slow, de-aggro and ranged tentacle spawn (If it's easy to craft, it's too much. If it's hard to craft, then only the de-aggro has no cheaper alternative)

-innate cooking speed (Character-building, I guess? It's not _bad_, I just don't see a need)

-innate hunger drain reduction on sleeping (Alongside the cheaper fur roll, this ensures Walter will be one of the easiest to maintain)

-innate companion (Cool, but the variables will dictate whether she's ok or op)

-innate extra storage and monstermeat-based ride (Again, variables like storage size and speed will dictate her viability)

-innate bee weakness (a nice weakness forces an essential gameplay change. This is not a nice weakness)

-general sanity loss negation (I mean... why? Sure he's fearless, but does he really need another buff, especially one that's not really centered around his playstyle? he's already ranged, why would he even come close to enemies to lose sanity under normal circumstances? If anything, an increased sanity loss near enemies would better incentivize his ranged/support playstyle)

-sanity loss upon damage (Exactly like this! this, along the already existing sanity drain near enemies would better solidify Walter as a ranged archetype)

-sanity loss upon staying wounded (if it weren't for the immunity to darkness-induced sanity-loss, this would force Walter players to be very mindful of their stats...)

-sanity gain near trees (syke lol just stand near trees, be a woodsman)

-sanity gain to survivors near campfire (a team perk is a nice perk, reminds me of DD's camping phase)

-craftable sanity loss negation (Seems... useless? unless it's got nice damage absorption/durability, you're switching sanity for health)

-cheaper fur roll (sure call it a tent, but if it's mobile, you sleep on it, and it supposedly recovers health, it's a fur roll. I assume it'll be cheaper, otherwise, why craft it?)

Don't get me wrong, I will play the crap out of him when he's out, and I'll still praise clay for their generosity and dedication to the game, I just want to give feedback on the perks and how they seem to be spinning too many plates at once.

To me Walter (and his canine companion) seems more geared towards beginners/casuals and support players. Indeed actual numbers will make or break the character in the eyes of bulk player-base. If advanced people hoped for a new Warly or Wurt (problematic cons in beginning), perhaps this character is not for them. We will see.

Archived