Should RoT have more hostile mobs/biomes?

title  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should RoT add hostile mobs/biomes at sea?

In my opinion, adding hostile sea creatures would spice up sea exploration. Here are some ideas (trying to follow the nordic sea theme of dst):

Unfriendly Noseless Balphin: Mob based around Orcas that will travel in schools (or sea packs, if you will) they look bigger and meaner and drop an item used to build a telescope, structure or item similar to Spyglass, to help out at finding islands at sea, like Pearl's fragment or the moon archipielago.

Jammy Jellyfish: Moon island mutant half berry, half jellyfish that wander around the archipielago and spray water over you before jumping on the boat on skittersquid fashion and attack you, electrically. They drop juicy berries on death and maybe electric bioluminescence, used to craft sea lantern. (same as lantern, but can also be placed on the boat to reveal more of the sea ahead when sailing at night).

Ornamental Octopi: Territorial Disguised octopi protecting schools of fish they fish in, basing on the fact octopi can camouflage pretty well. Perhaps give them a sandlike texture to make them drop an ingredient for telescopes. 

Well that's about where my suggestions go! i'd love some feedback, and if you have other cool ideas for hostile sea mobs, i'd love to hear them.

2 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

Spyglass, to help out at finding islands at sea, like Pearl's fragment or the moon archipielago..

Fun fact: messages in bottles will give you Pearl's island location instead of sunken treasures until you arrive at it. That somewhat eliminates the use of spyglass currently.

Return of Them.. is a series of on-going updates under the single Thematic focus titled

“Return Of Them”

As such, I do not expect these updates to come to a Conclusion until we find out WHO or WHAT Them is.. and WHY they are Returning.

More Content will continue to be brought to the game until we reach that conclusion.

———————————

Klei has also stated that they Aim to try and give us something to look forward to at least once per month, Which could be anything between A Character Refresh, A RoT Update, A New Limited Time Event, Etc..

I also feel that with Covid-19 wrecking havoc around the world and causing delays & setbacks with things, That it would be wise if they stretched as much content they already had planned out as far as possible to get us through the year.

So the TL:DR- Return Of Them updates should be kept small adding a little bit here and there over the course of the year until we get to the conclusion.. and that final Return Of Them Update I hope will be a BIG Update with a lot of content, an actual Adventure Mode, In-game Lore, New Biomes, New enemy Mobs, & just pretty much making content that feels a bit empty.. full of life and dangers.. 

It has to be right?? How else will they explain WHO or What is Them & Why they are Returning?

I also want to see every playable character that’s been thrown into the constant brought into the game.. 

Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba, Wagstaff.. tying up all lose lore ends of who they are and what they’re up to now...

What is Charlie’s Grand Scheme? Who are Them? Why are they Returning? How Did Warly wash up on shore from Shipwrecked DLC But we can’t set sail to Shipwrecked Biomes? 

Find out the answers to all this and more on the next exciting episode of Dragon- 

Wait sorry I got carried away a bit there, Anyway.. don’t Expect RoT to end until we get answers on Who or What is Them & Why they are Returning.

I think adding directly hostile sea creatures would discourage more players from exploring the ocean than it would incentivize. Klei's been doing a really good job of filling the ocean with creatures that, while may not go directly after you, still pose a threat:
- Skittersquids will quickly eat up all fish near your boat if you don't take care of them, which is annoying, especially if you need those fish (see: scorching sunfish and ice bream.)
- The Malbatross hangs out in the most profitable fishing spots, and while it won't immediately go after you when you see it, it can easily break your masts and hurt you by just flying near you and will try to kill you (or at least chase you away) if you decide to keep fishing.
- Cookie cutters are the only creatures that are directly hostile towards players (or, well, their boat). But they're limited to the small brine shoals you can find scattered across the ocean, so you know to avoid them if you aren't prepared. Even if you do get attacked by some, worst case scenario is that your boat drowns, you wash up on land and (hopefully) learn to avoid them until you're ready.
- The Gnarwail is the friendliest creature in the sea right now, but even then, it'll still try to sink your boat by poking a hole in it if provoked.

I think creatures like this make the sea interesting without making it directly dangerous or deadly to those who want to explore it out of curiosity, especially since sailing is the main thing being advertised lately. I wouldn't want to see creatures that chase after you as they spot you sailing by.

The ocean needs more mobs and more biomes, in general. And right now, the best way to spice up sea exploration would be to give the players more reasons to actually attempt it, not add more danger to it.

Most of the ocean content we've gotten so far, only serves to feed back into itself by improving the player's sailing experience, but doesn't really incentivize going to the ocean in the first place: ocean fishing exists mostly to give you a reliable food source out at sea, the Malbatross rewards you with a faster sail and the Crab King rewards you with a mining/fishing tool in the form of the Strident Trident. This goes for the telescope suggestion: it makes it easier to find stuff on the sea with it, but there's not much stuff to find.

Meanwhile, the things that actually affect dry land gameplay take relatively little sailing to get: lunar island can be found in less than a day of sailing due to the mainland's shape giving away its location and the brine shoals (for salt) are all over the map, so you only need to sail to the one closest to your base. This is starting to change with the introduction of Sunken Chests and the Crabby Hermit's bottle exchange and fishing errands, but there's still a long way to go.

The other issue is that sea combat is inherently more limited and gimmicky, so too much of it will likely end up being repetitive.

I want them to use the size of that enormous boat cookie to give us hostile enemy mobs that will attempt to attack us directly. Such as Shipwrecked’s Swordfish- In DST They should be repurposed to Rush towards the boat & “Free Willy” Leap Over it in an Arch attempting to “Stab” the player with its dangerous ACTUAL sword tip nose.

Awhile back ago I made a sloppily put together image of how Shipwrecked Jelly Fish should behave in DST- Basically they would react in the same way as Killer Bee’s Nests Do on Land.. if you get too close to their hive they chase after and attempt to attack you in groups.

In the image below the Blue Coloring is meant to represent a portion of your boat platform that becomes Electrified by the Jelly’s Attack, You would need to move out of its AoE of attack radius by maneuvering yourself around on top of the Boat so that you do not take damage. 

These attacks are aimed most importantly AT THE PLAYER.. and Not the Boat itself.. so the Boat would take minimal or no damage from it.

3DD6D0F9-18FE-4F03-A901-C29679F374EA.thumb.jpeg.1ce4ac4620ce4557d92aa0514fb96a4c.jpeg

I am am okay with the Sea being mostly peaceful and inviting.. but only in the SHALLOW Waters, that’s where DST & DS Shipwreckeds Similarities come to an End- Shipwrecked had peaceful calm seas, and then the further out into the ocean depths you went you went into the DEEP SEA which was represented by the water being darker colored, Harsher Waves thrashing into your boats and almost all mobs out at Deep Sea were Hostile & wanted you dead.

FE1E09C5-669C-4DF7-9BC8-2D09C30DB51E.jpeg

21 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

issue is that sea combat is inherently more limited and gimmicky, so too much of it will likely end up being repetitive.

Maybe getting more ranged-sea-themed weapons to deal with different enemies on the sea would be better.

Imagine fighting a boss/enemy specifically themed to be killed using crossbows/canons.

7 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Maybe getting more ranged-sea-themed weapons to deal with different enemies on the sea would be better.

Imagine fighting a boss/enemy specifically themed to be killed using crossbows/canons.

Oh man, do i have the weapon for you. Imagine having this bad boy on your boat.

harpoon-gun.jpg

52 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

I'd like to see sharks that circle around the boat. That'd be awesome, wouldn't it?

So.... tigersharks? Like when Year of the Tigershark happens?

46 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Oh man, do i have the weapon for you. Imagine having this bad boy on your boat.harpoon-gun.jpg

There's animations Melen found that show Wilson with a harpoon. So...

Would ve a good idea add new hostile Mobs that doesnt are intrusives, like mutated pengulls, Mobs that can de found in deep sea or un certain parts far away the continent, around the edge of the Worlds or un specific seasons

Sorry i dont speak too much inglish

I'm quite happy with the current flow and pace of content that's being released, sea mobs included. As mentioned above, more hostile mobs at this point in time would only dissuade players from venturing out into the ocean, it adds an extra risk to a fairly empty ocean that offers little reward. I reckon that the RoT dev team has a giant word document with all the mobs and features they plan to implement, and assigned a specific amount of time for the artists, coders and testers for each thing on that list, and when to implement them. So, who knows, maybe there will be more Shipwrecked-esque mobs in the future, but only after they've released a couple more features and smoothed out the current ones.

That being said, more biomes and mobs would always be great, even on the main continent. So for now, and for fun, let's give your ideas a go, starting with:

21 hours ago, JosePapp said:

Unfriendly Noseless Balphin

Now I think you missed a beat in not calling it a Battle-nosed Ballphin but hey, that's just me.

1317366408_battlenosedballphin.thumb.jpg.272fa862648666b37ece2d8e994c5669.jpg

---

Jammy Jellyfish: Moon island mutant half berry, half jellyfish

Whoa now, there's a lot there to unpack. There is no way this thing is not an eldritch abomination. When I read that, I'm picturing a Shattered Spider, only much bigger, and much angrier. You had a description there, but most of that was lost in my head due to the fact this thing is a moon mutant that does electric damage!

Eldritch.thumb.jpg.007c69e1b83b75e2ef23d7c6852d125c.jpg

---

Ornamental Octopi

Oh, that's much nicer. How about if they introduce coral reefs, something that blends in to avoid being hunted. Or hugged.

ornament.thumb.jpg.15ba9ed5f27f7b072b70812add6a26b2.jpg

---

Hope I haven't completely butchered your ideas, but there's my interpretation of them.

The thing is guys- If Hostile mobs existed in the Sea particularly out in the DEEP SEA or around Islands Klei does not want you to get to easily.. then you’d have to Battle your way there.

The “Jelly Hive” I purposed is basically an At Sea version of a Hostile Bee Nest found on land. In DS these were often used to block progress or to provide extra threat when progressing through the games Adventures Mode.

If Klei For Example didn’t want people Bee-lining to the Lunar Island.. These things would have nests protecting you from getting there so easily.

I also think that Goose-Form Woodie should have his own Sea dangers to dodge and worry about. Surely some hungry shark is gonna see that Goose & attempt to eat him right?

1 hour ago, CorsairsEdge said:

I'm quite happy with the current flow and pace of content that's being released, sea mobs included. As mentioned above, more hostile mobs at this point in time would only dissuade players from venturing out into the ocean, it adds an extra risk to a fairly empty ocean that offers little reward. I reckon that the RoT dev team has a giant word document with all the mobs and features they plan to implement, and assigned a specific amount of time for the artists, coders and testers for each thing on that list, and when to implement them. So, who knows, maybe there will be more Shipwrecked-esque mobs in the future, but only after they've released a couple more features and smoothed out the current ones.

That being said, more biomes and mobs would always be great, even on the main continent. So for now, and for fun, let's give your ideas a go, starting with:

Now I think you missed a beat in not calling it a Battle-nosed Ballphin but hey, that's just me.

1317366408_battlenosedballphin.thumb.jpg.272fa862648666b37ece2d8e994c5669.jpg

---

Whoa now, there's a lot there to unpack. There is no way this thing is not an eldritch abomination. When I read that, I'm picturing a Shattered Spider, only much bigger, and much angrier. You had a description there, but most of that was lost in my head due to the fact this thing is a moon mutant that does electric damage!

Eldritch.thumb.jpg.007c69e1b83b75e2ef23d7c6852d125c.jpg

---

Oh, that's much nicer. How about if they introduce coral reefs, something that blends in to avoid being hunted. Or hugged.

ornament.thumb.jpg.15ba9ed5f27f7b072b70812add6a26b2.jpg

---

Hope I haven't completely butchered your ideas, but there's my interpretation of them.

Loved the battle-nose balphin pun, i pictured them bigger, but i like the irony. The Jellies look tougher than i expected, but it fits the island pretty well!

i disgressed with corals because they're aiming for a more nordic aesthetic, so i didn't think about coral reefs.

I'd like more hostile things in general, but probably not in the sea. As mentioned above, making the ocean itself dangerous, especially when combat on boats seem annoying, would just kind of kill sailing as it'd be too much of a hassle. 

I'd love to see more of Klei's horror mobs in general, surprised we really haven't gotten another set yet.

Stuff like pearl is so cool, but im so, very excited for the things to fill in the gaps, hostile monsters are one of them. the squids are such a cool example, they would be awesome if hostle

On 4/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, Blunderbuss said:

I would be so happy if the squidswere to aggro on players! they are extremely fun to fight due to having 2 awesome mechanics in one. 

but yeah! I really like the direction the game is going right now.

Archived