The correct use of Pip

First build a flowerpot under the sand, and then let the sand bury the flowerpot. If the conditions are right, PIP will plant the plant in a flowerpot (not in sand). At this time, the plant cannot grow because the base cannot be used. Then dig out the sand and the plants will grow at full speed without solid fertilizer. When PIP successfully planted the next plant, we can use the "copy settings" to copy the plants to other flowerpots to achieve the purpose of intensive planting. This bug does not affect the locavore.

The devs don't take kindly to advertising bugs to exploit the game, they once banned a player for posting a Youtube video on metal duplicating (This was before volcanoes were added to the game) 

Given the responses below, I believe I was mistaken

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

The devs don't take kindly to advertising bugs to exploit the game, they once banned a player for posting a Youtube video on metal duplicating (This was before volcanoes were added to the game) 

Umm... the forums are literally full of such things.  Like the bug with using doors to print metal.

The devs don't take kindly to advertising bugs to exploit the game

I find that surprising. I mean, as a single player game with mod support, I do not see how exploiting the game hurts anyone**. Besides, advertising the bug is only providing more information on it, which means it should make it easier for the devs to resolve, if they so choose.

**Exploit use or avoidance is a recurring theme on the forums and can cause heated debates, but the common/best response is that players can play the game however they choose. And it’s an amazing game to have this flexibility.

I would hope no one gets banned for this, but ultimately this is Klei’s game and forum.

Personally, I love hearing about exploits, though I do not use many of them.

they once banned a player for posting a Youtube video on metal duplicating (This was before volcanoes were added to the game) 

I have a very high suspicion that this is simply false.

I'd be more inclined to believe that a user was banned for demeaning the devs saying how lazy/bad/etc they were for letting such a thing exist than for merely posting about a bug and breaking forum etiquette.

31 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I have a very high suspicion that this is simply false.

I'd be more inclined to believe that a user was banned for demeaning the devs saying how lazy/bad/etc they were for letting such a thing exist than for merely posting about a bug and breaking forum etiquette.

While I have no information about this specific case, from what I have seen from Klei so far, I would expect it was something like this. The way they seem to treat exploits is a very rational triage and then they just fix the high-impact stuff pretty fast, and low-impact or annoying things when they find the time.

Also, this could absolutely legitimately have been posted in the bug-report forum and would be just as public there.

18 hours ago, Neotuck said:

they once banned a player for posting a Youtube video on metal duplicating

I do remember this. A dev came in and said exploits are not to be posted and locked the thread. However I never saw that the user was banned, and a few months later I tried to find it but the post was either hidden by the user or admin. I don't think he was banned though, and there have since been a ton more exploits that have been shared and eventually fixed by the team.

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if you can get them to plant with just putting a wall next to the flower pot, in a similar way that you can get dreckos to eat from them from a wall (iirc).

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I do remember this. A dev came in and said exploits are not to be posted and locked the thread. However I never saw that the user was banned, and a few months later I tried to find it but the post was either hidden by the user or admin.

May also have been some initial or individual and not too well thought out action. Devs sometimes get irrationally protective of their creations. But banning people from posting exploits in the bug-forum when there really is no other channel to report them would be pretty insane and the bug-forum requires a description how to recreate a problem. Posting them here instead is not really fundamentally different. And, of course, there are other ONI forums out there where Klei has no control whatsoever, hence the authoritarian approach does not work in the first place anyways. I think that at least currently there is a pretty pragmatic approach to this question.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:51 AM, xingnianwu said:

First build a flowerpot under the sand, and then let the sand bury the flowerpot. If the conditions are right, PIP will plant the plant in a flowerpot (not in sand). At this time, the plant cannot grow because the base cannot be used. Then dig out the sand and the plants will grow at full speed without solid fertilizer. When PIP successfully planted the next plant, we can use the "copy settings" to copy the plants to other flowerpots to achieve the purpose of intensive planting. This bug does not affect the locavore.

I tried to check if it was true and altough the copy option appear, the dupes don't plant a plant that is not supposed to go on the vase. I tried with mushrooms.

Edit: Never mind, it worked after i loaded the game.

1 hour ago, TheMule said:

Does this work with planter boxes, too?

Probably but it wouldn't do any good since planter boxes will require the fertilization.  The point of using a flower pot is that they don't accept fertilization.

So basicly you can plant mealwood in flower pots, wild farming w/o the fuss of having pips plant and with higher density.

I wonder if you can use it with decorative plants and get 'wild' ones, to make parks/reserves.

19 minutes ago, TheMule said:

So basicly you can plant mealwood in flower pots, wild farming w/o the fuss of having pips plant and with higher density.

I believe the point is that it grows at full speed unlike wild planting.  I would imagine the density checks the pips do before planting would still apply.

IIRC, when they made changed wheezeworts from flower pots to farm tiles and needing phosphorite, any that were already planted in flower pots from before the change still operated at 100% without the need for phosphorite; you just couldn't plant any more like that.

6 hours ago, Lbphero said:

i did this and the bristle berries still required watering inside the flower pot. Did i do something wrong?

No, you did nothing wrong. I missed it in the first post myself the first couple times I tried it with oxyferns. "the plants will grow at full speed without solid fertilizer."

So, this trick is useless for Bristle Blossoms, the plant that produces Reed Fibers (brain fart, can't remember the name), and Gas Grass. 

As you still have to supply liquids, it's usefulness is borderline for things like Oxyferns and Sleet Wheat since you have to hand deliver all liquids. No pipe hookup on the decorative planters. 

Mushrooms and Wheezeworts are where this trick really shine.

10 hours ago, psusi said:

I would imagine the density checks the pips do before planting would still apply.

Only for the one you need the Pip to plant. You use the flower pot's "Copy" setting ("\" keybind by default) and your dupes will plant more. Once you get the first on planted in the "wrong" box, it's treated like it was in a planter box except for ignoring solid fertilizers. 

Oh, hello Wheezeworts. I've missed you. :)

22 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

As you still have to supply liquids, it's usefulness is borderline for things like Oxyferns and Sleet Wheat since you have to hand deliver all liquids. No pipe hookup on the decorative planters. 

Mushrooms and Wheezeworts are where this trick really shine.

My understanding of "fertilizer" is that it is not limited to liquids, but anything that a plant requires to be grown domestically.

23 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Only for the one you need the Pip to plant. You use the flower pot's "Copy" setting ("\" keybind by default) and your dupes will plant more. Once you get the first on planted in the "wrong" box, it's treated like it was in a planter box except for ignoring solid fertilizers. 

Oh weird!  So you are saying that after then wheezewort change, when I still had some in flower pots I could have used "copy settings" to plant more, even though you can't click on a new flower pot and choose to plant wheezeworts?  Interesting...

Archived