[Poll] On DST 2019 (and a Happy New Year, Everyone!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :D  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Was 2019 a successful year for DST?

Happy New Year to everyone from the Don't Starve Together Community!

As the year draws to a close, we cannot help but take a look back at all the progress this labor of love has been subject to - all the new content, the development process, all the advances and regressions we've experienced through the updates.

So, I ask you guys - did you think 2019 was a fruitful, productive year for Don't Starve Together? (Please do explain why in the comments as possible answers to these questions are mostly subjective and cannot be polled with ease.)

And, to the devs who worked to their bones on new content, to the community which provided helpful feedback, discussed and enjoyed the game, thank you for all the camaraderie we've shared, and I hope you guys are blessed with a prosperous new year! :)

As always, answer the poll freely and of your own will, and feel free to expound and discuss in the comments!

Still hating the boat related content, and they keep building upon the ocean while the boat still isn’t fun. So I gave a no.

The new characters are refreshing, but I also don’t like them. We got a character who is great at making vegetables but poor at using them. A character who is great at cooking, but his low ingredient availability means recipes are more trivia than substance. And Wurt, who feels more like an pig house skin than a new character.

19 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Still hating the boat related content, and they keep building upon the ocean while the boat still isn’t fun. So I gave a no.

The new characters are refreshing, but I also don’t like them. We got a character who is great at making vegetables but poor at using them. A character who is great at cooking, but his low ingredient availability means recipes are more trivia than substance. And Wurt, who feels more like an pig house skin than a new character.

I know that game experience differs from person to person, but I think boats are a lot of fun. Dropping anchors and setting the sail makes me feel like I'm in Tokyo Drift.

I'm really happy with all the content that's been coming up, Klei's great communication with the players and it seems like they're setting up for big stuff.

I think they are off to a great start in terms of adding some new content to the game, but they’ve still got a Long ways to go if they ever expect to catch Minecraft in terms of popularity-

What I would like to see over the course of 2020-

More Character Refreshes,

More Skins for Every Single Item in the game then we even know what to do with.. (because let’s face it, we all play to unlock cool skins anyway)

More Unique Biomes to build a boat and set sail into with unique enemy mobs, and brand new content.

Actual IN-GAME Lore- Maybe in the form of Wagstaff Diaries, and all the Animated Shorts being added to the Cinematics page.

Gorge & Forge Content being added to the base game as permanent server creation choices (just like how you can choose to host Hallowed Nights Servers or Wintersfeast after they ended)

More options in deciding the Difficulty of the game.. Such as Easy, Normal & Hardcore settings which for example on Easy Spider Warriors would Behave Normally.. On Hard they would gain Poisonous venom effects they had in Shipwrecked.

More fun little Trade Inn Keeper Mini-Games

an actual Adventures Mode at some point..... (might be hard to do, so not gonna hold my breath on it)

And Last but most certainly Not least- if they can pull this off without causing our consoles to spontaneously explode: A device similar to the Seaworthy/Skyworthy that allows us to travel Between DST, DS Shipwrecked & DS Hamlet worlds.

You May be asking why not just go play single player Don’t Starve- and the answer to that is I really really enjoy Skins and hate the generic default looks of the survivors, plus if my friends wanted to join me they can.

I said yes. Klei didn't achieve what they had originally set out to, but I'm not sure they or us expected them to. But I think they did a decent amount and it's all good quality. 

I love the new ocean content. Lunar island is awesome. And I'm very excited for the continuing of the beta in 2020.

I do wish they had been able to push out more character refreshes. Tbh I would have rathered them do 2 character refreshes rather than adding Warly (my guess is adding him in would have taken about the same amount of effort as 2 reworks). Warly's perks seems to be more trivial than actually beneficial and I'm my experience are very rarely used. At the rate they are going on the reworks it could be another 2 years before they get through them all. Imo that's way to long and in some ways the reworks (for some of the characters) are as important as new gameplay.

Tbh 2019 in some ways seems like a teaser for the full content coming in 2020.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

NO! It’s Charlie

eh? unless the writers come up with yet another surname that ends with a W, which would end up in Winona, W___...

Also the DLC characters don't hold a lot of canon-significance like for example Wilson does. It would be pretty weird for the main antagonist to become the *4th DLC character*

aight time to reel up the opinions.

2019 the year of change for Don't starve together.

2019 Roadmap: this is  where everything made dst a huge amount of content

from character refreshes to year of the pigking and return of them, it made a big change indeed

Starting of: YOTP

this event was insanity. 50% for a pig to have a belt and playing the game and cheesing it (obviously) and getting so much lucky gold nuggets to buy food or decos for fun uses. this year of the animal was a fun time in my opinion and hope it was for everyone else too. a nice start in the year for 2019.

Winona refresh

this is where lore and gameplay has finnaly changed her. for gameplay she now is usefull in right hands and her lore explains that she was working with wagstaff ( i believe) and there is even a notepad on the trailer explaining other survivors lore such as wickerbottom,woodie (*cough cough*) and wx-78.

it also made a change for the drops system. rather the classic 4 drops you get 8 in-game. you can get daily drops and have decreased common skins but increased classy,spiffy,distinguished and elegants.

Wortox

solo or co-op gameplay he indeed is a good character and balanced (as i can think of) for the lore there isnt much to discuss rather he comes from another constant therfore very interesting.

Willow refresh

the worst character in the tier list up to a decent character is truly a great idea made from klei. her lore is a nice thing, the poor little orphan? girl with her teddy bernie haunted by the nightmares made her a pyromaniac and torched up the place till there were ashes.

this brought also the twitch drops. kinda great to see loyal skins to gain and support the twitch streamers.

Wormwood

the plant that tried to find friends but rather is more comfy around his roots. gameplay extremly well and lore also good.

Warly

the gordon ramsay in dst. his lore is much to talk about. how did he join the others in the constant, it still cannot be answerd. his gameplay however can be extremly gamebreaking by the right players and right hands. very great job klei!

Return of them, Turn of tides

finally something lore and gameplay content that made me so happy that i quitted ruins rushing by now.

seafaring out there and exloring the seas never felt so good. well not now in this condition yet. but the lunar island, survival and lore expanding ensure.

Woodie refresh

woodie mains brace themselfes on this great update. sure has his downsides and upsides based on gameplay. but the lore, cmon klei are you joking for real? even i could do a woodie lore. just give me time reading the examining quotes and i could bring it up.

duh..?

Return of them, Salty dogs

more content for the return of them is what we need indeed. salt, a nice resourse for increased survival fighting against those cookiecutters and even a battle against the boss of the seas, malbatross! however that was more of a too much rushed content release. great ideas but it felt rushed.

Wurt

gameplay kinda discussable and lore made by 9 years old if i had to be honest.sure there is some fun and deedle yee on making these animated but i and the community like to know how everyone came rather from random moments but incase thats not answerable so be it.

Hallowed nights

kinda didnt like it besides the skins. the constant sanity drain from cutting trees is more annoying then disease itself and it wasnt a big change neither aswell as making potions. but hey there is gotta be halloween content i guess?

it seems that the curio collecter has a minigame now. candy crush saga at the end of the day you might call it.

Pigking event round 2

the loot aint worth it i tell ya that much. sure the skins are lovely, but boi first you gotta get the belt from the pigs wich is not 50% just like the yotp but rather 1%. its gonna be those that you can get more rather krampus sack itself. and the pig warriors you summon are too bad. definetly not worth doing so.

Nominate Don't starve together

a more of community question. the devs truly give attention to the games and us and its good to see them bring out contents and everything. its all about klei at the end of the day.

Return of them, hook line and inker (i had enough of these dumb references)

finally, sea life and shipwrecked crockpot dishes. another change that i was amazed. getting out there and fishing for food might sound good on papers but are not needed to be entirly honest. tho you can be a sea faring nomad since you can catch fish very fast if you are experienced enough meaning you'll never starve! more content for the ocean it seems.

Wintersfeast

its christmas (or it was already since this is a 2020 post already)

sleeping near the tree to call yourself a lazy bags because you had other things to do rather killing the mactusk to get a cane but the gods rather do so never felt so good.

some skins and aswell another minigame for the curio collecter! a more memory brain training one. it might be possible that the curio collector is taken more serious and arouses my interest too! hope to see more minigames and lore for him.

Conclusion

was this year a good one for dst, klei and their community?

yes. but klei can do better.

hope to see klei bring more stuff way more interesting and fun.

Let the opinions beef up gentlemen!

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

all the Animated Shorts being added to the Cinematics page

That would single handedly bump up the storage requirements by a couple gigabytes. There is also the fact that they run horribley off the game itself so keeping them off would be the better option.

More options in deciding the Difficulty of the game.

We already have this based of world gen options but if you want a actual difficulty meter, then its most likely won't happen. With a majority of the audience not being good at the game, they wouldn't pick it and thus would leave it barren to the few elites in the game. There is also the fact that simply bumping up numbers and lowering different numbers would be either trivial or too difficult based of the numbers change. Having new mechanics would make the game harder but restricting it to a single mostly unplayed mode would just take up more of klei's time that would be mostly squandered. The difficulty is fine as it is for now, and I most certinly wouldn't want them to focus on this them new content.

an actual Adventures Mode at some point.....

5 seperate servers, all running simultaneously. That is not going to go well, which is why they removed it. There also isn't a lore reason why as she has no intention of escaping unlike Maxwell who used reverse psycology on the player to release him. 

Seaworthy/Skyworthy that allows us to travel Between DST, DS Shipwrecked & DS Hamlet worlds.

Thats 5 different servers running at the same time, that is not going to go well. There is also the fact that if they did add them they would either a) make them dlc which would divide the community or b) make them free and make DS obsolete in almost every way. Finally, Im sure many more people would like new and exciting content them just rehashing of the same old content but this time with multiplayer slapped on to it.

8 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

eh? unless the writers come up with yet another surname that ends with a W, which would end up in Winona, W___...

"I'm Winona Winona and this is my sister Charlie Winona".

Yes, in my opinion it was. Could've it been a lot better? Yes, but i think it was a nice way to kick start updates and to see what the future could be like.

Most of the new characters are pretty neat, and some of the refreshes were lacking, they did made the characters overall better.

New content was nice, not crazy, but it is quite new exploring the ocean and i can't wait to see what we'll get next for RoT!

Compared to last year, where we just got events that didn't add anything new, i'll say this year was quite fruitful.

It’s officially New Years in my Time Zone- for those of you still in 2019.. I know what it’s like to live a year in the future.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020 I spent my time when the clock changed playing DST on Xbox AND Shipwrecked on Mobile Simultaneously at the same time- This pretty much Guarantees that I will spend most my time in 2020 playing DST Shipwrecked I hope.

11 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Also the DLC characters don't hold a lot of canon-significance like for example Wilson does. It would be pretty weird for the main antagonist to become the *4th DLC character*

Maybe Charlie has a different last name.  Traditionally women change their names with marriage in USA, so Winona and Charlie could have different surnames.

----------------------------------------------

I really dig a lot of the content.  As much as I love to nitpick I'm super excited for the future of DST.  Klei's announcement to focus on this game and monetizing with skins was what brought me back into the game after a lul of playing.

Winona is really growing on me as a main character too, but only with the Celestial Portal to swap characters.  She really needs Maxwell or Wurt's ability to rock farm.  I think it would be awesome if she could build a "thumper" type item that is stationary, pumps out rocks randomly (kinda like ice machine in SW) but summons depth worms and tentacles that you have to fight off while its running.  If she could produce rocks a bit more than she does now she would really make a solid character pick.

Wurt was a bit of a dissapointment, but I'm going to try her again soon.  I think, since I had a lul in playing, there was a lot of new content to get used to when I tried Wurt.  Now that I understand that other content a bit better I might enjoy her a bit more.

I'm looking forward to new skins and new content!  My interest in the game was revived this year and I'm playing the game regularly again.  Great stuff!

33 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Traditionally women change their names with marriage in USA...

Sadly I don't believe that Charlie was married since you know, she was an assistant to Maxwell and I don't believe there wouldn't be like any conflict between said husband and Maxwell.

Also Maxwell couldn't be the husband since his surname is actually Carter...

Just now, __IvoCZE__ said:

Sadly I don't believe that Charlie was married since you know, she was an assistant to Maxwell and I don't believe there wouldn't be like any conflict between said husband and Maxwell.

Also Maxwell couldn't be the husband since his surname is actually Carter...

Are assistance not allowed to be married?  Could she not have kept her name from a divorce?  I mean... that's just one way to tackle it but I'm pretty sure its a viable strat.  There are probably others that could work too if the dev's needed it to.  Not that I'm looking for Charlie to be added as a playable character lol

Many fun and interesting/cool additions to the game. While I don’t mind the character reworks, they have had the unfortunate side effect, I believe, of ruining these forums. Just a couple of years ago, you could come here and find really creative and clever players figuring out how to use the game’s mechanics and limitations to their advantage, or just really great players like Joeschmoecoolstuff inventing new challenges. I would be amazed by how smart they were every week. But once Klei introduced the reworks, it opened a door to the mentality that if you are having problems with the game, you might be able to gripe about it enough here to persuade Klei to change it.

Now 80 percent of the forum is long-winded, half-baked arguments for how this or that should be changed, or even longer “reviews” of the changes that do get made. Usually the suggestions are ways to make the game easier for that particular person who can’t deal with this or that challenge and somehow doesn’t get that challenges are the whole point of any game. I really don’t want to read endless posts about how people who aren’t Klei developers and who don’t know what they’re talking about would change DST, not any more than I want to see a 10-year-old fan direct the new Star Wars movie. So I don’t come here much anymore. 

This is no disrespect to some of the long-suffering Willow and Woodie mains who wanted their characters to have the same abilities as in DS. I never played those characters, so I never fully understood the issues, but they were good enough players that their requests seemed reasonable and in line with the spirit of DS/T. 

33 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Many fun and interesting/cool additions to the game. While I don’t mind the character reworks, they have had the unfortunate side effect, I believe, of ruining these forums. Just a couple of years ago, you could come here and find really creative and clever players figuring out how to use the game’s mechanics and limitations to their advantage, or just really great players like Joeschmoecoolstuff inventing new challenges. I would be amazed by how smart they were every week. But once Klei introduced the reworks, it opened a door to the mentality that if you are having problems with the game, you might be able to gripe about it enough here to persuade Klei to change it.

Now 80 percent of the forum is long-winded, half-baked arguments for how this or that should be changed, or even longer “reviews” of the changes that do get made. Usually the suggestions are ways to make the game easier for that particular person who can’t deal with this or that challenge and somehow doesn’t get that challenges are the whole point of any game. I really don’t want to read endless posts about how people who aren’t Klei developers and who don’t know what they’re talking about would change DST, not any more than I want to see a 10-year-old fan direct the new Star Wars movie. So I don’t come here much anymore. 

This is no disrespect to some of the long-suffering Willow and Woodie mains who wanted their characters to have the same abilities as in DS. I never played those characters, so I never fully understood the issues, but they were good enough players that their requests seemed reasonable and in line with the spirit of DS/T. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but- I’ve always Hated Star Wars, the ONE and ONLY Character I liked in that entire franchise died in the very same film they debuted them in, so yeah screw all that.

As a Batman fan- I can say with absolute certainty that the Only Thing Star Wars has ever done for me was Deliver me Luke Skywalker.. Aka Mark Hamil- Aka the Iconic and most well known Voice of everyone’s favorite beloved clown The Joker.

BUT.. my Hate for Star Wars aside- Not EVERY suggestion people have been making is to make the game easier, I’m pretty sure there are quite a few like myself who want more options in making the game more “Hardcore” And it’s not as simple as turning on the “More” Option for certain things and “less” option for others-

Because well for One: Consoles only have Default or Less to choose from there Ain’t no “More” option.

and Two- a few simple changes can provide players with a more Hardcore experience, Long lasting seasons, Harsh blizzard winds that DEMAND the use of the Tier 3 Winter Clothing or you will die, Lowered Max Health, new abilities on Familiar enemies.

Just giving Spider Warriors the same venomous bite that they had in SW could probably go a long way in terms of upping The Difficulty.

——————————————-

But the TL:DR there should be far far more Options for people to custom tailor their gameplay to be as Easy or as Hard as they personally want it to be..

——————————————-

Some people want to play the game and be challenged every single second, such as suggesting that Health cap at 55hp meaning that you’ll only ever have enough HP to revive ONE dead player every so often, so try not to die often..

then there’s the Other group of players (possibly even some of those SAME players who want to die horribly mentioned above) Who might have some less Skilled friends that they do not want to become overly frustrated with the game so making things easier- Rather YOU Personally like it or not, has its reasons and advantages.

I can tell you personally that even though while playing Alone SOLO I would love Poisonous Spider Warriors and a max HP cap at 50 & the removal of the Meat Effigy and Resurrection Amulets, That would quite literally be my Worst nightmare when playing with some of my other friends who die and die quite often.

Simply saying install some Mods doesn’t work for Xbox, PS4 and Nintendo.. So We have to hope that Klei thinks about us and takes that into consideration when it comes to small things like that.

22 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Eeh, Seafaring is my absolute favorite thing to do in DST now so I don't share the sentiment. Especially add in the four awesome character reworks we got, three RoT content updates and four new characters to the DST roster, alongside new skins, events and minigames, it's been a stellar year for DST.

To me the answer is an obvious yes. Before 2019 my favorite Don't Starve edition was Shipwrecked, and by the end of this last year Klei had me divided between SW and DST.  

I can't second what Rellimarual said enough:

4 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Just a couple of years ago, you could come here and find really creative and clever players figuring out how to use the game’s mechanics and limitations to their advantage (...)

I guarantee you, 100%, if any of the old characters had been added in 2019 they would have gotten the same complaints the new characters are getting, or much worse. Yes, if it was the old Woodie, the old Willow, you name it. For some reason, all of a sudden this year, people got this idea that new content means a competition to see whose complaints gets the most likes in the forums.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Long lasting seasons

This can be changed in the world gen settings. While you may not be able to increase the mob count, I do know that you can change the amount of days each season has.  The current amount of days is fine. Each season has the ability to damper someone's survival and allow for a player to reap the benefits of the season without it feeling like it goes on way too long. The length also allows for a player to experience new seasons relatively fast and thus allows the into experience that season's  problem. While increasing the season's length might seem like a way to make the game more challenging, it just makes each season more annoying to deal with, not essentially more difficult.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Harsh blizzard winds that DEMAND the use of the Tier 3 Winter Clothing or you will die

Oh boy, a mechanic that demands you deal with it with a single method or else you die? That sounds great to deal with! The game is meant to have a verity of way to deal a problem, such use of using a thermal stone instead of actual clothing, and having this kind of mechanic where you have to use this one specific item of else you die is not difficult, it's bulls***. Providing no alternatives to solutions is restrictive and adds artificial difficulty instead of actual difficulty. While it would be a mechanic you would have to prepare for, the need to use some obscure items to survive would not be and make it unnecessarily difficult. It we compare it to the sandstorm mechanic in summer, we will see some similarities but also some stark contrasts. The snowstorm demands you use the desert goggles or else you can't travel through it. The difference is that the sandstorm is optional. With the sandstorm being optional and nonlethal, it allows the player to ignore that content and only deal with the mechanic when they want to. This gives the player more of a control on how they proceed, and thus allows for a personal growth then a linear one seen in other games. The blizzard that demands tier 3 clothing would make the game difficult for the sake of being difficult and that's not the way DST is made. DST is made off of inexperience and arrogance kills more then actual difficulty, which still allows for a more personal journey of skill then just setting you up with brick walls and not allowing you to progress until you have the things to demolish it.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

such as suggesting that Health cap at 55hp meaning that you’ll only ever have enough HP to revive ONE dead player every so often, so try not to die often..

5e0cf7e3b10e0_Alls_well_that_Maxwell.thumb.jpg.83458708e189dc32dda295f76e3ea4ac.jpg

It's not a perfect fir but it is almost exactly what you are describing.

Archived