The Next New character?

So, many have debated what the last new character will be. People have also called out that almost every new character so far has not been human. I asked why this was and some responded saying that a new human would not fit into the lore. Well, I bring you a human character that COULD fit into the lore, provide even more lore, and has a completely open canvas for Klei to do what ever they want with him.

Who you may ask? Well I believe it to be the Boss at the Volxola factory seen in Winona's short being sucked into the portal

NextCharacter.thumb.png.b938d815778d86e82f429a27b804df08.png

We see him getting sucked into the constant, with Winona trying to save him. But she soon follows him after getting tricked by her own sister.

I have brought this up to some people, and they often say "isnt that wagstaff", and I respond to that with this:
           Wagstaff Is within the singleplayer constant, which takes place before the events of charlie taking over the throne. We see that winona goes into the constant after him after seeing charlie, meaning that this short takes place after charlie taking over. Another noticeable feature is that this person does not have the same figure as wagstaff.

The reason I would like to see this character added to DST is because... well.. we need another new human... thats my only reason tbh
I also wouldn't mind Charlie being added, much like with normal DS and maxwell.

Who do you think will be the next new character?

Mm, we did get that whole tease with the Lone Glove item, but...eh, it's hard to tell right now. Can't help but feel that it might've been a similar case to Wurt early on being indicated as some sort of Goat by Wortox, but then ending up as a horned Merm.
The same happened in a more visual way between early Wormwood and release Wormwood.

Similarly, the person in the portal might've actually been Wagstaff at one time, but he was changed mid-development. Character pictured seems to have the same basic idea of gloves, wacky hair, and being in a position of significance at Voxola.

That said though, outside of importing SP characters, I'm really not sure what else they would go for. And even then...
Warbucks seems to be a forbidden topic for the art streams, so it's unlikely that they'll ever touch him again.
Wheeler, Wilba, and Wagstaff all have a lot of role overlap with already-existing DST characters.
SW characters seem to be considered refreshes rather than DLC releases.

Only characters I can really see being added right now are another random furry, or Charlie at the end of RoT's span.
I mean...other than that, who do we actually have? Genny/Geneveve and Jack, but they wouldn't follow the naming convention, and neither really has enough significance to circumvent it like Charlie might.

As silly a reason as it is, the "it can't be Wagstaff since he appears before Charlie's reign" argument can easily be dismissed by the fact that time works differently in the Constant.

The few seconds/minutes between Wagstaff getting sucked in and Winona getting taken could be years in the Constant.

Also, Wagstaff is the founder of Voxola. He is the boss. This was confirmed a long time ago before his debut as a character.

The person in question can be someone else still (technically), but if they're not Wagstaff, they're not the boss. Though my bets still on it being Wagstaff. It makes the most sense with what we know about him.

Well, all of the 3 DLC characters so far have been non human creatures originating from the constant. It makes sense, since they aren't integral to the main storyline of DST, and are more or less side characters to Charlie's reign. They also seem to be designed specifically to play like side characters. 

Wortox: He's able to live exclusively off of souls, meaning he isn't eating any of the survivors' foods. He really is just kinda there, while being fun to play and use for support.

Wormwood: Wormwood can mass produce crops, which can not only sustain himself, but the people he's around. He plays like a side character because he's usually minding his own business, tending to his crop gardens.

Wurt: Wurt almost feels like she sorta lives in her own little world, being in the swamp and commanding Merms to grow a royal empire. The only thing she contributes to the others are improved human/non merm and Merm relationships via the king.

It also just doesn't make sense that a character who may be integral to the main story (another human trapped in the constant) would be locked behind DLC. It would be like seeing someone like Winona as DLC, she's quite a lore heavy character, and it would just be weird to see her paired with the likes of the other "unimportant to the story" characters.

I don’t see any reason why it cannot be Wagstaff. Wormwood and he was released almost at the same time. Time passed really strange in the constant, so if wormwood could make it into the constant, he might as well make it too. On the other hand, in Winona’s short, they could’ve  just showed how he sucked into  the constant but not particularly the together constant. 
There is no way to be sure.

Wagstaff (who is so obviously the person in winonas trailer) could be an awkward character to add, his goals are the opposite to everyone elses, he WANTS to be in the constant, and wants to take some shadow magic back with him.

I'd be interested in Walani being added, with the caveat that they focus on her past life as a pirate.

I imagine Klei will add some sort of character who specializes in seafaring, and since Woodlegs does NOT fit in with the other characters, or the world in general, they might either add a new character, or maybe rework Walani.

Maybe? I think shes got a lot of untapped potential, judging by some of her quotes and hinted at back story.

BTW, the Lone Glove item is apparently a Griftlands reference, per the speech files.

I don't think Wagstaff would be a "new" character, that is, one with a price tag. This is because he is so important to the lore, and the other purchasable characters are just bit parts, just there to add flavor.

I really do want Wagstaff though, as a free character. I want to see him interact with WX and Winona, and see his unique perspective on the DST world.

17 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Wagstaff Is within the singleplayer constant, which takes place before the events of charlie taking over the throne. We see that winona goes into the constant after him after seeing charlie, meaning that this short takes place after charlie taking over.

Take a closer look at the short, though:
image.png.961d2769417f49d9e4962ef1405b9c4f.png
Charlie switches between "good" Charlie...
image.png.bfc61c962f32cf8eed71c60f83fec72a.png
And "bad" Charlie. This wouldn't make any sense if it's meant to be during Charlie's reign, because the ANR cinematic shows her fusing into the post-ANR Charlie we're used to:
image.png.5cf7c39b1a9c8e42eadc0d0395537bbf.png

43 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Take a closer look at the short, though:

Charlie switches between "good" Charlie...

And "bad" Charlie. This wouldn't make any sense if it's meant to be during Charlie's reign, because the ANR cinematic shows her fusing into the post-ANR Charlie we're used to:

It could very well have been during Wilson's (albeit brief) reign; post-Maxwell but pre-Charlie.

She yoinked Winona into the Constant, then returned to Wilson to free him and ended up taking over. It'd make sense seeing as she'd just thrust Winona into a deadly world, she wants to keep her sister safe...well as safe as she possibly can what with her merging afterwards. 

Time works differently in the constant, and it was shown in the short that time would've had to have passed as Winona had to rebuild the portal, and in that time Wilson took over the Shadow Throne. 

However due to the wibbly wobbly timey wimeyness of the Constant, in the time between Winona being spirited away and arriving in the Constant Charlie had freed Wilson and taken over as the Shadow Queen.

This is my final answer and you can fight me on it with reasonably structured and substantiated arguments. Thank you for coming to my TED talk. :wilson_ecstatic:

46 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

She yoinked Winona into the Constant

What I'm getting from the timeline is that she stole Winona before Metheus, connected the singleplayer world during Metheus puzzles, and then Winona came in after. The very very short animation "What lies beyond" shows Winona.

Just now, minespatch said:

What I'm getting from the timeline is that she stole Winona before Metheus, connected the singleplayer world during Metheus puzzles, and then Winona came in after. The very very short animation "What lies beyond" shows Winona.

Okay I'm still confused on the status of the DST Constant and DS Constant...and don't even get me started on just what the heck Shipwrecked and Hamlet are in the whole grand scheme of things...

SMASHH.png.218c1b1aa3b8c7db081ee632822b93bc.png

Archived