Woodie is still "Meh": An Initial Evaluation

6 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

also gnaing while mining a boulder needs to get updated... it takes 18 gnaws for a boulder vs 6 hits from pickaxe... that's a bit nonsensical

I mean. Beavers bite wood, not rock. Seems plenty sensical to me. 

5 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

What I dislike about the Woodie rework is that, even though he is great at doing a bunch of things now, there are characters that are better at doing those specific things and they end up doing those things for cheaper if they are doing the specified task for longer. 

Sure, but Woodie is 3 in 1. He can't be the best when he has such a range of things he can do—this makes him (in theory) a good singleplayer pick, but less great for multiplayer where you can have one of each anyway.

Not to mention that Wolfgang (the combat focus), Maxwell (the harvest focus), and the other "meta" picks for certain tasks are gonna get reworked so comparing them in the state they are doesn't make so much sense.

10 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

Werebeaver - Isn't it still worse than Maxwell? May even be more expensive since Woodie will have to recharge his stats from time to time. You could argue that Treeguards will slow Maxwell down,

While you're kiting the Treeguard in a forest your puppets continue to chop down trees around, so you're not even slowed down that much.

Have to say, immensely let down by the changes. For being a transformation character it sure seems like there's zero incentive to actually transform or much benefit from doing so. Being a master of none isn't a perk, nor is it a incentive to actually bother with a characters kit.

I do hope Woodie gets a little mercy in a patch or something, going directly to instant starve mode hurts quite a bit, especially early game. (why can't weregoose flutter/fly across gaps like Wortox? That would've been absolutely gold for a locomotion transformation!)

8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Sure, but Woodie is 3 in 1. He can't be the best when he has such a range of things he can do—this makes him (in theory) a good singleplayer pick, but less great for multiplayer where you can have one of each anyway.

After you have acess to the Celestial Portal there's kind of no reason to play Woodie at all. And I could argue Wickerbottom is a better pick before getting acess to the portal (But that is a whole other can of worms).

8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Not to mention that Wolfgang (the combat focus), Maxwell (the harvest focus), and the other "meta" picks for certain tasks are gonna get reworked so comparing them in the state they are doesn't make so much sense.

If they rework those characters for the worse, what's the point?
But yes, I can see Maxwell and WX being reworked to focus on different tasks.

19 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

After you have acess to the Celestial Portal there's kind of no reason to play Woodie at all. And I could argue Wickerbottom is a better pick before getting acess to the portal (But that is a whole other can of worms).

The Celestial Portal is gross and I hope they never try to balance around it.
If people wanna use it to meta-game—try-hard the game then they can do that.

28 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Do you want to have mobile character? Choose Wortox.

Do you want to have materials collector? Choose Maxwell.

Do you want to have combat character? Choose Wolfgang/Wigfrid.

Do you want to have everything in one? Do not choose Woodie!

31 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think each transformation requires its own duration depending on their usefulness, and the way you stay in the shape should be more rewarding:

This is actually more or less how it already works.

Beaver - 15 seconds, chopping decreases drain time. 45-75 seconds.

Moose - 15 seconds, combat decreases drain time. 45-90 seconds.

Goose - 12 seconds, moving decreases drain time. 60 seconds.

First post, but I do have 450 hours in game. My opinion is that the devs shouldn't be afraid to make characters a bit more overpowered in general. As it currently stands there a strong difference in the S tier characters, and I for one would have the most fun if they just brought all the characters (except wes) up to the power level of wolf, wx, etc. 

In regards to Woodie specifically, each form needs to be stronger than the equipment slots he's losing. A Woodie with a dark sword and a football helmet is stronger than the moose, and that's not good. Give him buffs in his form duration, move speed, AND damage in my opinion. The fact that he can not access healing foods in his transformation is already more than enough to counter if he had something like dark sword damage. Goose needs to at the very least be faster than Woodie with a magi and a cane. 

TL:DR I would prefer if his forms were just immensely powerful, it's not a competitive game so being overpowered is fine. The goal should be that people are playing characters based on flavor, but they're all incredibly strong

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

Im pretty sure the mechanics leaked into other forms. When I attack as a Werebeaver, the weremeter slows down.

14 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

The Celestial Portal is gross and I hope they never try to balance around it.
If people wanna use it to meta-game, try-hard the game then they can do that.

It's fine you think that, but it is the way I like to play the game. And, from my point of view, they shouldn't disconsider the portal when making decisions, they can't (shouldn't) just pretend it never happened (I do agree to nerfing it though (even if my dumb "gate-keeping" side made me reset my world since I was abusing the pre-nerfed portal mybrainisweirddude)). 

I think all points of view are valid in the sense that Klei can have more info to decide what their next action should be.

6 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I've noticed this as well. But I mean, they should be noticeably different in mechanics, as I said previously, goose should probably last the longest by just running. 

And unlike goose, both beaver and moose should have ways to regain their meters if they do what they are meant to, otherwise, default timers should take place. If this becomes true, it will be harder (and more rewarding) to stay as moose, than as beaver, and beaver will be harder to maintain but more rewarding than goose. Goose being the easiest but the less rewarding one.

2 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

It's fine you think that, but it is the way I like to play the game. And, from my point of view, they shouldn't disconsider the portal when making decisions, they can't (shouldn't) just pretend it never happened (I do agree to nerfing it though (even if my dumb "gate-keeping" side made me reset my world since I was abusing the pre-nerfed portal mybrainisweirddude)). 

I think all points of view are valid in the sense that Klei can have more info to decide what their next action should be.

I agree the portal should be considered somewhere, but from a baseline of game balance I feel as though it should not be considered in the games balance IMO. It's both far too lategame-ish and breaks the games balance pretty hard. The portal feels like it much more of a experienced players perk rather than something for the game as a whole, which is fine.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I've noticed this as well. But I mean, they should be noticeably different in mechanics, as I said previously, goose should probably last the longest by just running. 

And unlike goose, both beaver and moose should have ways to regain their meters if they do what they are meant to, otherwise, default timers should take place. If this becomes true, it will be harder (and more rewarding) to stay as moose, than as beaver, and beaver will be harder to maintain but more rewarding than goose. Goose being the easiest but the less rewarding one.

Moose's speed also makes it incredibly annoying, because the strong drain kicks in immediately and you can lose a bunch of time if you don't land a hit in like... immediately after transforming.

Oh, and the grace-period between hits is a bit finicky so kiting/charging can end up eating through a lot of time.

Just now, Zeklo said:

Moose's speed also makes it incredibly annoying, because the strong drain kicks in immediately and you can lose a bunch of time if you don't land a hit in like... immediately after transforming.

Agreed, maybe it could have a grace time as soon as you transformed, of at least 2 seconds, before the drain kicks in. The grace before the strong drain kicks in should be balanced according to the transformation as well.

I mostly agree with you, but you forgot some things. Not only does the transformation takes away your health, when its over you drop to 0 hunger, and most likely it gonna drain away your sanity pretty fast. The only good thing i see in his rework is that he won't just randomly transform when chopping wood with lucy, which makes the werebeaver form a bit useless cos you wont use it cos its just too risky to do so. The moose form has great potential if it lasted much longer i 100% agree. Goose needs swimming you are 100% correct, i was thinking the same thing and tried it out and got surprised it wasn't a thing for it. The goose was a horrible idea in my opinion. I guess klei thought that you would use it to "escape" something in the last moment and run away from it. Which dont sound bad right? But when you transform back you are even more vulnerable than before with 0 hunger 0 sanity and even less health. I think the goose could also be able to pick up items on its way gobbling them up then spitting them out when woodie retransforms. 

Here is one thing you didnt think of tho. Taking away the hunger and health penalty and making lets say the moose GAIN back weremeter when it punches someone instead of just slowing the meter could solve the problem too. And lets say because the goose is pretty much useless and cant do anything besides running, it could gain back weremeter when running and it would be a great way to explore the map, and when you think you are done you just stop and transform back.as the meter drains.

I would like to have the idols in some more variations, like someone mentioned requiring living logs, maybe also some more rare things for higher level idols. The higher level idols could give you more transformation time and buff some things (more speed for goose and ability to swim, less gnaws required for beaver, more armor and passive HP regeneration for moose). Also the amount of health and sanity penalty should depend on the idol level (low level = lower penalty, high level = higher penalty).

Moose form will be useful in the early days, but its usefulness falls off pretty quickly. Moose deals about 59 damage (roughly hambat) with 80% dmg reduction (football helmet). Woodie is a character who can get loads of living logs now, so dark swords make sense, and with a football helm it'd be better than Moose form. You don't need to lose 30 hp and starve if you just use darksword/football helm. The offensive form also cannot heal itself or use any inventory items making it less appealing than just using regular Woodie for offense. The Goose form would be nice if it could pick up items, but it can't, so it's solely for transportation which isn't too great. Beaver form is pretty great now that he doesn't need to eat logs, and treeguards spawn more often, no issues there. Overall he's a good character, but I don't like how moose and goose are so niche.

Archived