[Poll] Oh no, it's another poll

[Poll] Oh yeah, it is another poll  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next character refresh after Woodie?

• Wilson
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • The Mime
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Wagstaff
    • Walani
    • The Monkey
    • Woodlegs
    • The Pig Princess
    • Wheeler
    • The Great Return of Warbucks

As incredibly strong as Wendy is, most people can't use her even half-decently, so I'd expect hers to be soon.

Would like to see Webber get a rework, though. Tamed Spider friendliness toward neutral mobs (Chester), ability to work with the whole cast of Spiders, and some spidery items would be good. Generally he should be useful throughout the game, while not having to constantly isolate himself from the team to do so.

Some changes in the vein of this mod would be welcome.

Part of me thinks Wes, particularly with how he now interacts with the Lunar Island, but...

Critical analysis that doesn't really mater:

Spoiler

Then I remember how much hate every topic discussing any potential changes for Wes used to get, especially back when small character updates were happening in DST's early days and him changing was a possibility. The shenanigans surrounding Warbucks tells me that we haven't changed much as a community since then, and that Klei would rather avoid things that are likely to cause a divide with the community. Which, even if it's disappointing, is perfectly reasonable; they're a business, not a charity. Even if I liked his design as a player, I wouldn't want to touch Warbucks with a ten foot pole, were I in Klei's position.

It might not be a cultural issue this time, but Wes is similar: make him unique, interesting or useful, and the purist crowd, many of whom make DST videos ie free advertising, will be mad. Leave him be, and he'll be in his current state: getting new players insta-banned for picking 'the troll character', and generally seen as a negative pick regardless when he isn't...because this is a multiplayer game, and in addition to flat cons, his utility when compared to other characters is nonexistent. There's always a better pick.

So...to make a more generally appealing product, what would you do?
Change him, and anger the Wes cult no matter what you do?
Leave him be, with the current potential to give new players a bad experience and drive them away before really trying the game? Steam refunds are a thing, and the people who do so rarely care to speak their part; they've already moved on to another game.

...my first thought is that Klei would take the easy way out again and retire him, given that the infrastructure is already there, and they could follow suite with the OP PLZ NERF memes and play it off as him going out a legend. But, Wes has skins that people have spent money on, which makes that not an option.

I think the most likely scenario is that Klei will just leave him forgotten, and hope that the community does the same.

the votes are pretty unanimous here

For one, reworks as to how Abby functions or buffs to Wendy herself would be nice. For another, we would dearly love to see how Abby perished and, for myself, just how happy Wendy was with her.

(also stopping by to give an obligatory "This poll honors me very greatly and pleases me mightily so" message :))

20 hours ago, maradyne said:

Part of me thinks Wes, particularly with how he now interacts with the Lunar Island, but...

Critical analysis that doesn't really mater:

Reveal hidden contents

Then I remember how much hate every topic discussing any potential changes for Wes used to get, especially back when small character updates were happening in DST's early days and him changing was a possibility. The shenanigans surrounding Warbucks tells me that we haven't changed much as a community since then, and that Klei would rather avoid things that are likely to cause a divide with the community. Which, even if it's disappointing, is perfectly reasonable; they're a business, not a charity. Even if I liked his design as a player, I wouldn't want to touch Warbucks with a ten foot pole, were I in Klei's position.

It might not be a cultural issue this time, but Wes is similar: make him unique, interesting or useful, and the purist crowd, many of whom make DST videos ie free advertising, will be mad. Leave him be, and he'll be in his current state: getting new players insta-banned for picking 'the troll character', and generally seen as a negative pick regardless when he isn't...because this is a multiplayer game, and in addition to flat cons, his utility when compared to other characters is nonexistent. There's always a better pick.

So...to make a more generally appealing product, what would you do?
Change him, and anger the Wes cult no matter what you do?
Leave him be, with the current potential to give new players a bad experience and drive them away before really trying the game? Steam refunds are a thing, and the people who do so rarely care to speak their part; they've already moved on to another game.

...my first thought is that Klei would take the easy way out again and retire him, given that the infrastructure is already there, and they could follow suite with the OP PLZ NERF memes and play it off as him going out a legend. But, Wes has skins that people have spent money on, which makes that not an option.

I think the most likely scenario is that Klei will just leave him forgotten, and hope that the community does the same.

Honestly, all that Klei has to do is add a pop up when selecting Wes in the character select screen.
"This is a challenge character, which is designed to make your life harder. Are you sure?"

Wendy is a character that has always intrigued me, having to work around danger using a follower seems like a novel way to spice up ordinary gameplay. It's just a shame that Abigail prefers to fight in ridiculous scenarios that she would never win in, or getting one shot by a boss.

(Hey Klei, let Werebeaver give people piggyback rides!)

Archived