Return of them - Turn of Tides is coming next week!

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

@JoeW Please tell me one thing, will we have an update poster like the good old times?
It would be so great to see them again and build up hype

Oh yea, those posters were super fun, hope we get them now.

Was 'Against the Grain' last time we had the posters or wqs there some after that for Atrium updates too? In any case they really hype me out.

5d4f25860b424_againstthegrain.jpg.46ec13244e41ccc91825abd93956d52d.jpg

Why do console players have to wait an additional 3-4 weeks? Could you not just pick one release date for all? Consoles already don’t get the beta. I know you said you’re not going to do this, but why? How would PC players even know they are waiting an additional 3-4 weeks if you didn’t make this announcement and just said “Hey everyone, The Turn of Tides game update Return of Them is going to be available for everyone in 3-4 weeks. We’ll announce the date soon.”?

I don’t see how this is a problem. Everyone would be happy to see a release date coming soon. 

2 reasons why it doesn't have beta.

1. Updates takes longer time for console.

2. Console doesn't have a beta branch for DST.

Because it doesn't have a beta branch the game would be a complete mess for everyone until a bug fix or whatever else comes. 

9 minutes ago, MrKoopa said:

2 reasons why it doesn't have beta.

1. Updates takes longer time for console.

2. Console doesn't have a beta branch for DST.

Because it doesn't have a beta branch the game would be a complete mess for everyone until a bug fix or whatever else comes. 

Thanks, but that’s not what I was asking. 

I wanted to know why Turns of Tides: Return of Them doesn’t have a simultaneous release date across all platforms? Why is the console release date 3-4 weeks after PC?   

I think it is because they want to make sure it works as it should on console.

On 2019-08-09 at 12:16 AM, JoeW said:

In progress:

• Making sure controller is properly supported for boating

and

On 2019-08-09 at 12:16 AM, JoeW said:

Console players:

Because of the complexity in the changes that were made to the game, we need extra time to get this update out to console. We expect this to take an additional 3-4 weeks (hopefully less), and we will update you with the expected date as soon as we submit to cert and have a better handle on what the date will be.

If I am not mistaken, the different console owners want to approve of the updates before adding them(I think one of the devs said this a couple of months ago.

Lets say that there have been 1 week after release on PC, what then? Well, the players might have feedback that might be important, maybe making a mob weaker or stronger, perhaps changing how an item works in a certain cituation. The devs could then work on this and make it so that console get those changes at start and don't need to wait for an update. Updates on PC are a lot faster.

ToT.thumb.png.f351f0c24bb9a023a46047c054540cf1.png

Why make more people wait than what is necessary? "Oh, PC version is completed, well...you are just going to have to wait a couple of weeks"

1 hour ago, Dynamix_Roxx said:

Why do console players have to wait an additional 3-4 weeks?

They finished the game for the PC now, the beta was very important to have a polished game and no major bugs!  To receive on the console they have to do a lot of ADAPTATIONS, which are not easy, who knows programming know this .... I was very happy and thankful for bringing us a date, and I think the beta in Pc was very important for  we on the consoles, will get a polished update with a great gaming experience!  I know it's bad to wait even longer as we watch others playing for a while, but at least I know that when it's available it will have quality and will be done as quickly as possible for us!

On 09/08/2019 at 2:03 AM, JoeW said:

I am not aware of anything specifically related to DS optimization that would come to DST, if anything DS may have got some optimizations that DST already has that may have helped. But, I will talk to Jason and Hugo and see if there is anything there that could benefit DST. 

I don't know if it's too late, but this is the option he was talking about: 
image.png.4a8338afde9a01a9fac4bac401649a0f.png

It greatly reduces memory usage:
image.png.ba91290442c6862ddadeb0f143fcd9d1.png  ->"Disabled"
image.png.971c888182c29272fd867b0a8c60ac18.png  ->"Some"
image.png.fd6d64f58e7cae802e378f39a51efae1.png   ->"All"

This option was added in Don't Starve [Game Update] - 343524, Jason explains what it does:

image.thumb.png.0281f68cab8745106583655ec95a9fc0.png

Original link of the update:

5 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Why make more people wait than what is necessary? "Oh, PC version is completed, well...you are just going to have to wait a couple of weeks"

How would PC users even know they’re waiting at all? It should be one game update for everyone, at the same time. The beta is what should’ve been used to fix bugs. Why should  one user base have to wait?  How about for the next update it comes out on consoles a month before it does on PC? Cool!

4 hours ago, Marco BR said:

I know it's bad to wait even longer as we watch others playing for a while

1 minute ago, Dynamix_Roxx said:

How would PC users even know they’re waiting at all? It should be one game update for everyone, at the same time. The beta is what should’ve been used to fix bugs. Why should  one user base have to wait?  How about for the next update it comes out on consoles a month before it does on PC? Cool!

What was in quotes "Oh, Pc version..." was about how a dev could think.

It is why should PC wait when it is not needed. While true we PC players wouldn't know it would be X amount of weeks, it still would be X amount of weeks instead of much sooner.

Why should  one user base have to wait?

Why should all of them wait?

How about for the next update it comes out on consoles a month before it does on PC? Cool!

That is just stupid since PC updates normally are quick and that wait is just really stupid. Pretty much saying "Hi, we have this thing we could give you, buuuuut you are going to have to wait a month because even thought we could give you it now without it making problems"

7 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

"Hi, we have this thing we could give you, buuuuut you are going to have to wait a month because even thought we could give you it now without it making problems"

They shouldn’t say “we could give you”, until it is ready for everyone. “Hey everyone, the new content will be available in 3-4 weeks”. Would that upset PC users? Everyone would be happy to see it’s finally coming out. It’s been a long time we’ve all been waiting. Instead they cater to one side of the fan base while ignoring the other. 

7 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

It is why should PC wait when it is not needed. While true we PC players wouldn't know it would be X amount of weeks, it still would be X amount of weeks instead of much sooner.

Why should  one user base have to wait?

Why should all of them wait?

So everyone gets to enjoy the new content together. 

Also, a general reason for console updates taking longer is because they take a while (probably longer for an indie game) to be checked by the company that makes the console, added the fact that developing a game for a console generally takes longer than it might for PC. For all we know, ROT for console is already ready to be released. While I am sure steam has regulations for game updates and games in general. You might be surprised how much trash gets onto the platform.

Example: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-30-steam-game-abstractism-turns-pcs-into-cryptocurrency-miners

Misery loves company ig

I just want to make sure: Will the update affects existing worlds as well, or only beta worlds? Since from JoeW’s wordings I’m hoping it will change normal existing worlds as well so my friends and I won’t have to make a new server to play on. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Zack Griswald said:

I just want to make sure: Will the update affects existing worlds as well, or only beta worlds? Since from JoeW’s wordings I’m hoping it will change normal existing worlds as well so my friends and I won’t have to make a new server to play on. Fingers crossed.

The update will affect normal existing worlds.

Archived