where do the dead go?

stupid thing but i examined a gravestone and it said pulvis et umbra sumus which mean we are all dust and shadow now, does this mean that the dead become shadows or am i putting it too literal, because not all the graves produces ghosts

Technicially players become skeletons, which you can hammer for bone shards.

Those either become some sort of bone meal/dust in a bucket o poop or become part of my eyebrella providing me with shade in the summer.

(Hence Dust and Shadow) :angel:

Edit: I know the graves work differently, but it just randomly came to my mind and it fitted strangely well.

There are some hints for a theory that the ancient civilization left behind thulecite(dust) in the form of statues and has turned into shadow creatures. Maybe it has something to do with the graves on the ground too, but yea ghosts show up from dug graves on full moon.

1 hour ago, Alexias said:

Character select screen.

If player ghosts get destroyed (usually this involves a mod) it sends you back to the character selection screen, so that's true.

2 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

Technicially players become skeletons, which you can hammer for bone shards.

Those either become some sort of bone meal/dust in a bucket o poop or become part of my eyebrella providing me with shade in the summer.

:angel:

Edit: I know the graves work differently, but it just randomly came to my mind and it fitted strangely well.

Or a bramble husk! When I'm Wormwood, if the server doesn't already have an overflowing bone chest I go around smashing every skeleton I see for materials.

Just now, CameoAppearance said:

Or a bramble husk! When I'm Wormwood, if the server doesn't already have an overflowing bone chest I go around smashing every skeleton I see for materials.

Or a bone bouillon! Warly can turn any old corpse into a questionably filling delicacy!  

In a seriously and lore-friendly way. In Don't Starve singleplayer, when a character dies, and don't have a means of resurrection, they just wake up on a completely different island. With DST, and the construction of the portal, Im guessing instead of waking up on an island, they're instead sent to a different island with a different portal.

I like to imagine that when a person reaches the throne alive, they act as a battery until the next person rescues them. When they are released, time to reset for them, losing their memories.

The poor unfortunate souls that are not as lucky will either become a ghost or wait until the player picks them up again. Ghost for DSt, and nothingness/mu for single player. I find DST's death a little more friendlier. :wilson_dorky:

I always assumed the world was some sort of purgatory. So it functioned as if death/life had an infinite loop. Closest thing I could think of was an episode of Doctor Who where 12th doctor was trapped in that same loop. However he eventually got out of the loop after so many resets (billion of years latter).

Unfortunately for the characters in the Don’t Starve universe I think it’s more permanent for now.

All I know, is the translation of the gravestone on the first post makes me think "DUUUUUUSTTT in the wiiiind...all we are is dust in the wiiind..."

Emo as hell but...NOT that far off for Don't Starve, let's be honest here.  I get the feeling Wendy would've totally loved that song had she been on regular Earth during the '70s instead of the '20s.  (How would you dress gothly then...black bellbottoms?)

(iactuallykindoflikethissongitsprettyshutup)

...Notorious

When you think of it, though, everytime you die, you aren't attacked by the terrors, yet you can see them. That means you become one of  them, yet at the same time, you aren't, since you just recently died. You can even interact and affect particular objects in the constant too, some of which can become terrifying...

An interesting fact is how terrors drop nightmare fuel when "killed". Do remember that this is the reason why magic and pseudoscience is possible in The Constant. With that in mind, it also makes it possible to be revived, so long as you haven't been fully turned into them. Perhaps prolonged exposure to nightmare fuel and insanity slowly turns anyone into an unrecognizable existence that is the shadows, or should I say... more nightmare fuel. 

On 8/8/2019 at 11:49 PM, Sindex said:

I always assumed the world was some sort of purgatory. So it functioned as if death/life had an infinite loop. Closest thing I could think of was an episode of Doctor Who where 12th doctor was trapped in that same loop. However he eventually got out of the loop after so many resets (billion of years latter).

Unfortunately for the characters in the Don’t Starve universe I think it’s more permanent for now.

I just imagine Wilson punching away at a wall for billions of years until he breaks it only to reveal another wall behind it.

Archived