Bearger should spawn in the first Autumn

As someone who plays exclusively public servers survival mode, I rarely ever play until the second autumn, which means I pretty much never see Bearger in normal gameplay. I think it's kinda strange that the autumn themed boss doesn't show up in the first autumn. I think he's the only season boss like this. I believe he should show up around day 15 or so, so that you can actually have some gear to defeat him. Also, day 15 or more is a safe time for him to spawn, because he will hibernate all winter. An early Bearger would make the insulated pack a very cool, sought after item before winter, especially after it's buff and the introduction of all these new food items. It'd also be cool to actually see people using the hibearnation vest for winter.

I think an argument can be made that noobies will die to Bearger, which may be why he doesn't spawn in early. I think when people learn how Bearger works, they will know how to lead him away from base, and know that he will hibernate all of winter, so you have the option of not fighting him if you can't

Honestly, since he isn't destructive unless provoked, I don't see why not. However, It'd put both Woodie and Maxwell out of business, which is a big no no.

Edit: I have made a severe lapse in my judgement.

The absolute ONLY way I would allow a boss to spawn in the very first, beginning season, is if I could set him on Deerclops only a few days later.

Otherwise, no.  This is a difficult game ESPECIALLY for beginners, and you _need_ that run-up.  Most people don't live through their first winter even _with_ 20 days of preperation; do you think they'd have a chance with a LOTS of HP-taking, AoEing, base-destroying, already-limited-food-supply devouring monstrosity?

But if I could spawn him into the middle of nowhere and then spawn Deerclops in the same area...and sell tickets...

However new players wouldn't know to do that, and POOF, there goes their base...right in time to start freezing _and_ starving to death!  (This actually happened to me once--Bearger destroyed my base right before winter.  And I _did_ know what I was doing!  I just didn't expect that damn pig to wake him up.)  And Bearger's "warning" usually only comes AFTER he's already spawned; I have yet to ever hear him growling in the distance.  So, no.  There's a reason why the very first season doesn't have a giant.  There's a DEFINITE reason.

I know the high-level players are bored and want more challenge, but...we keep getting so many suggestions that would send new players screaming into the night!  So let's stick with ways to _optionally_ up the difficulty...rather than tossing giants on top of people who are still learning the controls.

#nooblivesmatter

#noncombatantsareplayerstoo

...Notorious

Meh new players need some peace. You might not since you played long enough. 

Heck not even some longish time players. Idk how it is on PC or xbox but here on the ps4 only 3.1% of all people who have ever played have beaten him (yes I'm well aware by the fact that this data is slightly skewed by being able to make it a full year, which btw, only 14.6% of players make it past winter, 9.1% for spring and 6.1% for a whole year)

For a slightly more fair comparison every boss ingame is sitting at less then 8% for the playerbase, so no, this would definitely make pubs and personal worlds in general a lot more frustrating for the majority. Besides, after 20 days their brief respite will be over and they'll have the rest of the game to writhe in agony 

26 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Jeez. One day the forums is all "the game is too easy." Now it's too hard.

It's a delicate balancing act. Not too hard or you scare off new people. Too easy and the elitists/masochists will devour us all.

Meanwhile kleis' staff is just over in the corner with some updates that will surely please everyone looking like  

D6bHSasWwAAZjv5.jpg:large

If you change the world generation to have Bearger set to "more," I think that will make it spawn every autumn, so people can add Bearger in the first autumn if they want to, and people who don't want it to appear can leave it on default. But maybe that's only in single-player Don't Starve. Or maybe it doesn't work the way I think at all. ^o^;>

Honestly I think world generation option needs a rework in that case.

I play DS and DST a lot and I still don't quite understand how those "more/less(et cetera)" works anyway.

Wouldn't it be better if it would tell players how exactly it's gonna affect the newly generated world? Like marking "default" on bosses would made them appear with 75% chance on their specific season, marking "more" would made them appear on their specific season with 100% chance including first season, and marking "lots" would made them spawn on every season.

The same goes for other creatures and landscapes. I would love to have more control over world generation. In my opinion "default" is great as it is but "more" and "lots" needs rework. "More" should increase spawn rate of marked objects but only on their specific biomes like more reeds but only on marsh turf, more cacti - ok but only on desert biome, more tumbleweeds but again only around desert (maybe could affect second desert in DTS as well). And as for "lots" it should made all things appear randomly on every biome.

Or maybe it should stay like it is but we could get new markers like "affect all biomes/seasons" and "affect only specific biomes/seasons".

Of course some options like Hound waves or Krampuses for example are good as their are now, but I'm confused how it works for most of options as they are already. Especially after Hamlet release in sp. Almost all world generation options works differently compared to constant and shipwrecked.

And one last thing - I would love to see options for caves and volcanoes in sp.

I know it's a lot to do and Klei are always busy with new contents that they don't have much time on stuff like this but that would make this game more flexible for players who would like to try something different without waiting for new contents. And also sorry cause I got carried a little off topic here.

1 hour ago, kiwikenobi said:

If you change the world generation to have Bearger set to "more," I think that will make it spawn every autumn, so people can add Bearger in the first autumn if they want to, and people who don't want it to appear can leave it on default. But maybe that's only in single-player Don't Starve. Or maybe it doesn't work the way I think at all. ^o^;>

I know if you have a longer autumn he can spawn too but I’m not sure how long you need it

Yes this is for dst

3 hours ago, Bird Up said:

Yes.

That is to say, yes to both of what you said.  It completely depends on the player.  Bear in mind, however, that the game DOES say "uncompromising" right on the tin, and that some people who have played it quite a lot still think it's harsh and "mean" (to use the exact word).  For example, Stumpt Price is like "Well of COURSE" (good thing A comes with price/problem B)  "This game can't ever just be NICE!"  And they're on Season 5 4.5 now...

The problem is, soooo many people here at the forums are the "elite MLG badass boss-soloing" type, and so many of the people who don't even KNOW about the forum, and wouldn't be inclined to post here if they did, are the "filthy casuals".  That is to say, the level of interest in the game that would make a person involved enough in it to post here, tends to weight our group more towards the skilled end.  So, that's why this forum tends to lose perspective and be all about "Let's make monster meat ALWAYS make monster lasagna and random enemies leap you out of bushes!" whereas the _average_ player is like "Whoah, in winter the cold actually HURTS you?  DUDE!" 

(Me, i'm...in between?  I'm good at dealing with nature, seasons, etc. but suck at direct combat _and don't freaking care_, because it's not a combat game.  Unless you WANT it to be!  That's the beauty of sandbox games; you can play them how you want.  Also tricking mobs into each other is just so dang _fun_.)

28 minutes ago, Prajdo said:

Honestly I think world generation option needs a rework in that case.

I play DS and DST a lot and I still don't quite understand how those "more/less(et cetera)" works anyway.

Wouldn't it be better if it would tell players how exactly it's gonna affect the newly generated world? Like marking "default" on bosses would made them appear with 75% chance on their specific season, marking "more" would made them appear on their specific season with 100% chance including first season, and marking "lots" would made them spawn on every season.

The same goes for other creatures and landscapes. I would love to have more control over world generation. In my opinion "default" is great as it is but "more" and "lots" needs rework. "More" should increase spawn rate of marked objects but only on their specific biomes like more reeds but only on marsh turf, more cacti - ok but only on desert biome, more tumbleweeds but again only around desert (maybe could affect second desert in DTS as well). And as for "lots" it should made all things appear randomly on every biome.

Or maybe it should stay like it is but we could get new markers like "affect all biomes/seasons" and "affect only specific biomes/seasons".

YEEESSSS.  Oh, this has been one of my little niggling pet peeves for a while now.  I _like_ to mess wih worldgen.  But the problem is, the jumps are WAY too severe.  "More" essentially IS my idea of "Lots", meaning that the difference between that and actual "Lots" isn't actually...meaningful? I have a feeling that Stumpt Jas set their clockworks to just "more" for their current worldgen, thinking it'd just be SOME more...and what they got was an infested world with bishops shooting you around every corner. If you've never messed with the more/lots settings before, the former is what you'd ASSUME it does!  But nope.

I've also tried "less" on most things, harsh season setup, and more meteors, for a "blasted post-apocalyptic landscape", with the idea being that it's an empty, dead world and it'll be harder (but more satisfying) to rebuild. This didn't work either; "less" wasn't less enough to feel properly lonely and wasted.  But "none" is, obviously, NONE, and that basically makes it so you can't live at all.  : P 

Anyway.  Different skill levels of players exist, and the majority of them are NOT the kind who go around soloing Dragonfly for funsies.  So...yeah.  OPTIONAL extra challenges are fine, and I enjoy them too!  But making those extra challenges just automatically happen for EVERY player?  Notsomuch.

...Notorious

8 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

Nope. Even maxed out Bearger won't be allowed on first autumn.

OP, completely agree.

I don’t think it’s all that good of an idea. It’s pretty important for players, both new and old, to have a period dedicated to getting settled in before any big punches are thrown. Remember, not only would you be preparing for Bearger, you’d be preparing food, buildings, winter gear, and not to mention exploring the map for a place to settle in the first place.

Plus, what’d use would the insulated pack be storing the new food when you don’t have enough time to grow anything before farms stop working? Unless you’re Wormwood, but should we really be changing things for only one character?

2 hours ago, Hell-met said:

Nope. Even maxed out Bearger won't be allowed on first autumn.

OP, completely agree.

Wrong, I think.

There is a 25 day Grace period where no boss can spawn.

There is a specific spawner component for the bearger that I only recall using a "NO_BOSS" value, that is set to 25.

11 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

Yeah, whenever I play on Vanilla Autumn, heather will always spawn on day 30, though I think that’s the threshold for when all giants start to spawn.

13 hours ago, Bird Up said:

I agree that the game is easy for someone who's already beaten it like 10 times now (myself included, I could do deathless runs easily), but remember that people who are good at the game aren't the majority of players. The Lunar island will most likely be our new hard stuff, just be patient.

And if it still isn't, remember:  You can always up the difficulty of YOUR game, by messing with the worldgen settings.  :)  (And/or using mods if you're on PC.)

First off, without having to _individually_ tweak anything:  Dark mode.  (This'd also be excellent atmosphere for a Halloween server.)  That's only like, one menu click.  If you don't want that...wanna start in summer or winter?  How about ONLY those, all year? Constant lightning?  Constant meteors?  Fire everywhere!  Less berry bushes, grass and twigs?  More earthquakes from the Antlion or cave rockfalls?  You like hounds?  Have more hounds.  Hot and cold running hounds.  Literally.  Or, yes, giants.  All day, all night, standing room only, giants.  Frolicking through the fields, happily destroying everything...

All of this is difficulty-tweaking ANY player can do.  And if you ARE able/willing to use mods, you can...worry about water as well as food!  Need flint to light a fire!  Have actual wounds that bleed and lose HP slowly after time!  Have meaner, faster mobs that show up more often!  There's at least a few mods just called "Hard Mode".  (I think my "favourite" is the one whose thumbnail has a picture of a grave that says "Here likes Crybaby Peepants".  It's...memorable, I'll give it that.) and a package that puts a bunch of more-difficult-because-realism mods together.  But even console players can enjoy constant winter and everyday hounds.

Everybody is free to make their OWN game as miserable as they like!  :D 

(I joke about this, but I myself randomise the season lengths, use a mod that makes sure they STAY random every year, and have used the Thirst mod on multiple hundreds-of-days worlds...all voluntarily, for fun.  : P)

...Notorious

Seriously.  Unless you're using one of those mods that allows for HUGE trees; then maybe you might have the amount of logs _regular_ sized trees would drop, afterwards.  (The biggest of these modded tree sizes goes off the top of the screen even when you pull the camera back, and the _stump_ can be bigger than your character.  You want more difficulty?  How 'bout not being able to see where you're going?  There are times in seasons other than winter where you'll be traipsing past birch trees and suddenly your whole screen is LEAF.)  

Speaking of giants trashing forests, I think my favourite was the time Bearger just dropped asleep with a log on his _face_.

dstcivday211beargerlogface.png.30c1f9fda7a1218c82904989119643fe.png

Um, you got a little...on your...hang on, lemme just get that for ya.

(Where's the rest of all the mess of wood? I already picked it up, duh!  It's winter--firewood's important, yo!)

I love how Bearger sleeps SO soundly, you can grab things from (it looks like) literally _under his body_ and he doesn't wake up.  I'm gonna assume you're ACTUALLY taking the items from under where his _fur_ fluffs out and obscures them?  because the alternative is that your character is singlehandedly lifting a giant a few inches off the ground like a car jack.  XD

ANYway.  Sorry, sorry, just wanted to share a funny picture. And it _is_ starring the relevant giant, so...

...Notorious

Not sure about spawning him first autumn... But I want multiple beargers, let me explain:

The first one spawns Autumn, if you don't kill him he goes to sleep during winter and does not despawn. I want if you don't kill him until the next autumn, another one to be spawned, and so on every autumn +1 bearger. This will make him a bigger threat and you will have a better reason to kill him.

1 hour ago, 1v0 said:

This will make him a bigger threat and you will have a better reason to kill him.

Really bad idea: Do you know what happens if you have 2 Beargers next to you? They'll just start killing each other! A Bearger targets mobs which steal their food, and he always focuses the last enemy which attacked him. One Bearger makes an AoE attack, both start fighting each other, and the winner leaves with ~5% health.

No need to kill a Giant if there's another Giant nearby.

28 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Really bad idea: Do you know what happens if you have 2 Beargers next to you? They'll just start killing each other! A Bearger targets mobs which steal their food, and he always focuses the last enemy which attacked him. One Bearger makes an AoE attack, both start fighting each other, and the winner leaves with ~5% health.

No need to kill a Giant if there's another Giant nearby.

Well yea that needs to be fixed for it to work. I suppose I should have writed it. But fixing this is a bit unreal as this has become a feature at this point :D .

I do it myself make dearclops attack a treeguard.

To satisfy both ends of the spectrum, why not do the Terraria route and have a method of causing a summon?

For instance, having an idol similar to the perd thing but with honey to lure the bearger out.

This'd keep the new players safe and let the experienced players go out of their way to get one in first autumn with default settings.

Archived