Heavily inspired by @mathmanican over at :

We've all known for some time that shine bugs can be used to generate power - well, I got bored and decided to have a tinker. I offer up to you the glorious, the pointless, the sparkly! - The Infinisun.

image.thumb.png.a7b6ac9eac074679a3f4c9df4d4561f0.png

Using the old "bogey walls" strat (beautifully explored by Mathmanican above) I've essentially turned a passive shinebug dropoff/shell farm into a solar bank.

I'll turn them off so you can see...

image.thumb.png.21ea65b1ec34c3420e660988756f52a2.png

It's basically a glass divided room that's scale-able. This particular one generates ~1400w constantly (the little blighters fly around, but the output is fairly constant it seems) and costs bugger all to run. One pump at the bottom pumps the liquid to the top, in this case salt water for maximum shiny goodness. It is split to two valves set to 200g/s which creates the liquid wall - again, because of the reduced flow the pump costs nearly nothing to run. The shine bugs cannot path through the walls, so they're contained nicely without any reduction to light output. Because they can only fly up/down - the fps impact seems to be negligible. See *NOTE* at the bottom of the post re: solar panel placement...

At the bottom we have a sweeper and a loader to collect any shells - and the bottom is kept open to keep it as a wild stable. 

image.thumb.png.16ec1a847f8a0293c2695175bd8f29cb.png

At the top we have some conveyor chutes for dropping more eggs into the build, a chute for dropping egg shell out of the build, a single transformer to power the pumps, and some batteries for storage (for where you'd want the power to go).

image.thumb.png.328edf9f3d1e35863ce5af93abee2a35.png

And as mentioned it's scale-able...

image.thumb.png.2a8c71147d55c8ed8a099922029c68da.png

This one generates ~3.2kw.

One final *NOTE* - if you plan to tile this build, make sure to leave a gap between the "liquid wall" and the solar panels - 1 space clear should do, otherwise it'll be borked on save/load. Don't ask me how I know this - but let's just say there was maybe/perhaps/definitely a moment where there *just* possibly was a shinebug explosion.

It's derpy, it's big, it's beautiful - I love it :D 

Enjoy! 

-Life. xox

16 minutes ago, Radam said:

Theres a better version if you just trap about 80 in a single tile, and get 1kw from 3 solar panels.

Think you need closer to 200 last time I checked, and I didn't think it could fully power multiples even with diagonal lighting. Saying that, i'm a little out of the loop at present. Got a link/pics ?

Do you mean something like this ?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.22e404199df8eca06b1d60571b38a01d.png

image.thumb.png.2813b5315c29acbdfdf1ac508822c481.png

If so, might be worth considering that's over 80 shinebugs for something that doesn't scale and only generates ~900w. The idea of my design is that a single column of shinebugs can hit multiple solar panels - hence the focus on the fact it scales/tiles easily and costs next to no power to run.

Just now, CorruptLogick said:

Its not free. It uses FPS as a fuel.

Hah, I did mention that in the post - their movement is limited, so I barely noticed any fps loss. Even with the last build which has 50 bugs in each column, 8 columns - 400 shine bugs. Path finding is normally the major killer in terms of ONI lag, that and decision making. Take the paths and decisions away and you won't feel a thing generally.

33 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Think you need closer to 200 last time I checked, and I didn't think it could fully power multiples even with diagonal lighting. Saying that, i'm a little out of the loop at present. Got a link/pics ?

Do you mean something like this ?

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.22e404199df8eca06b1d60571b38a01d.png

image.thumb.png.2813b5315c29acbdfdf1ac508822c481.png

If so, might be worth considering that's over 80 shinebugs for something that doesn't scale and only generates ~900w. The idea of my design is that a single column of shinebugs can hit multiple solar panels - hence the focus on the fact it scales/tiles easily and costs next to no power to run.

Well yeah your setup basically has to be near space to have an infinite room. And if fps supports it...

I set one up for the first time this map because I love the look of them, feel like I've got a plasma reactor :shock:. Just had one ranch feeding it slowly for a few hundred cycles, less than 150 bugs atm 1.5k. 

20190730195054_1.jpg

20190730195218_1.jpg

I used the three panel setup horizontally for my farthest base.  With a glass floor great hall, bathroom, and shower nature reserve, I don't build decor.  After initial setup it is 15 full power panels that produced (small) eggshells.  My fps, early game rebalance, and lack of fullerene in the closest planets caused me to restart.

Setup I have in my current base, idea taken from brothgar. I didn't check when I only had one setup but I would assume it's around 100-120 bugs per, for 1140 watts per 3 solar panels with no pathing. Could even stack it more tightly if I moved the middle stack over to the right and dropped everything down some. I could use even less critteres if I wanted to be completely optimal since the left and right panels reach 380watts before the bottom one.

image.thumb.png.35ed7f91ef4197d2f08c708d873d741a.png

Yeah, as mentioned above - the idea is that the central column version allows you to get more power out of less shine bugs.

I showed a smaller build above in a spoiler, but it's limited by how many solar panels you can fit around the 1x1 tile of shine bugs. Fact is, for the cost of the solar panels (cheap as hell) i'd rather have less shine bugs and generate more power by having a vertical build. Also, it looks cool ;) 

Aesthetics matter people...

2 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Aesthetics matter people...

Lies! *cough*

This systems ain't bad at all. I'm using lifes version to power my bunker doors & pumps for space and the small version i use for some geysers to pump/process the products. (Saltwater & infected Oxy)

It's especially nice since i play on an bigger map and it's not as convenient to just get power from the main base

10 hours ago, Yoake said:

Setup I have in my current base, idea taken from brothgar. I didn't check when I only had one setup but I would assume it's around 100-120 bugs per, for 1140 watts per 3 solar panels with no pathing. Could even stack it more tightly if I moved the middle stack over to the right and dropped everything down some. I could use even less critteres if I wanted to be completely optimal since the left and right panels reach 380watts before the bottom one.

image.thumb.png.35ed7f91ef4197d2f08c708d873d741a.png

The Brothgar setup has a advantage, the bugs does not have where to go, more fps!

1 hour ago, TheEvilMango said:

having trouble setting up the waterfall?

Try this:

make sure to leave a gap between the "liquid wall" and the solar panels

I would place a mesh tile between the waterfall and the solar panels. Otherwise, the waterfall will disintegrate when it comes in contact with the solid tile. More details are in the bead pump post. 

There needs to be a vacuum between the two falls, otherwise it'll bead instead. Just make sure to either leave the top of the waterfalls open, or use airflow tiles, and it'll vacuum itself stable.

Archived