Your Patch Notes for 1.0

Let's help to get a nice overview. Put your most wanted changes here for everyone/devs to get a nice overview of the current optinions. Nothing is right or wrong, just opinions please.

Please stick to the bullet point style. If it needs to be discussed, all these things are in different threads (and probably to complicated to change at this point).

If you want something to be easier, also include a drawback. Just making things easier, not gonna happen. We all know the devs like it hard.

Brain storming:

-Gas cooking station now needs 1/5 of gas but consumes constantly and has a logic input.

-Wheezeworts now need only 1/4 of phosphorite but can no longer grow in hydrogen atmosphere. (wheezeworts consume tiny amounts of ice(?))

-[New Building] Water condensing station now replaces water sieve (same function) and has new art. (new name to justify output temp)(also needs sand but outputs dirt for pre-filtering)

-Water sieve rename "Osmotic Water Filter" and outputs at input temperature, Needs minor amounts of plastic and sand to maintain and refined metal to build.

-[multiple] Untertuned vents now output substantially more but at varying temperatures.

-Rename salt to ocean salt (or something like this) to clarify it is not pure NaCl. Converstion in rock crusher now yields sand and tiny amounts of phosphorite as a by-product (less destruction of mass).

-Pipe overlay now shows an arrow on mouseover on intersections to make clear which pipe has priority.

• Ethanol gas usable in natural gas generator with reduced output.
  • Ethanol gas usable in gas range.
  • Reduced output for ethanol in petroleum generator.
  • Reduced output temp of ethanol refinery. 
  • Ice Machine heat deletion changed from 20% to 50%
  • Wild wheezewort cooling power increased to 9x. (same as current release, 12kW)
  • All puft conversion rates changed to 95%.
  • All puft throughput increased to 8x.
  • All slickster throughput increased to 8x.
  • Longhair slicksters pee water.
  • Flying critters wrangleable.
  • Moos reproduce
  • Pips plant wheat
  • Pips plant gas grass
  • Saltvine doesn't consume gas
  • Balm lily seed is found on a planet or printing pod
  • Thimble Reed seed is found on a planet or printing pod
  • Nosh beans growth rate increased by 100%.
  • Hot Supercoolant (liquid range 300~1800C like lead, but high SHC)
  • Reduced tile mass at generation by 50%
  • Reduced annihilation of matter when digging by 100%
  • Matter no longer sometimes duplicates when melting.
  • Guaranteed Glimmering Planet spawn
  • Tepidizer works to 300C
  • Sick Bay, Disease Clinic function as replacements.
  • Floral scented oxygen gives its benefits when used in suits, is preserved by suit equipment.

Features for mods/modders:

• Settings window for settings in mods (float sliders, on/off etc)
  • Ability to enable/disable timed events (like disable calls to Sim200ms until enabled by storage not empty event), should allow performance boost
  • Global GameObject, which is loaded first, hence any mod added component there will be loaded before any building/critter/whatever.

The last one would be a singleton class, which could be used to say control all buildings of a certain type. It's possible now, but by adding it as GameObject component it can use the standard approach to add data to savegames. Obviously it should not break the savegame if a mod added component is removed because a mod is unloaded.

• Duplicating water bug removed.
  • Oxygen to hydrogen conversion bug removed.
  • Steam to oxygen conversion bug removed.
  • Duplicating dirt bug removed.
  • Duplicating crude oil bug removed.
  • Steam to hydrogen conversion bug removed.
  • Chlorine to oxygen conversion bug removed.
  • ..... (how many bullet points can I add by listing every possible permutation of two gasses, and every possible solid->liquid phase change...)

So I guess I'd love to see something done about gaseous matter conversion and liquid duplication, not because of the huge possible exploit, but because these bugs actually affect every day play, and mess up builds all the time. 

1 minute ago, mathmanican said:
  • Duplicating water bug removed.
  • Oxygen to hydrogen conversion bug removed.
  • Steam to oxygen conversion bug removed.
  • Duplicating dirt bug removed.
  • Duplicating crude oil bug removed.
  • Steam to hydrogen conversion bug removed.
  • Chlorine to oxygen conversion bug removed.
  • ..... (how many bullet points can I add by listing every possible permutation of two gasses, and every possible solid->liquid phase change...)

So I guess I'd love to see something done about gaseous matter conversion and liquid duplication, not because of the huge possible exploit, but because these bugs actually affect every day play, and mess up builds all the time. 

Many of these are your childs, you monster!!

Just now, Junksteel said:

Many of these are your childs, you monster!!

Most of them actually came from @FIXBUGFIXBUGFIX (with bug reports dating over 18 months ago). I just took the bug reports, and odd things I found in my usual play (coupled with oddities that people kept seeing and posting about on the forums), and found how to utterly destroy the game mechanics by abusing the bugs. This helped me isolate exactly what causes the bugs, with the hope to help the devs track it down.  They got rid of the infinite power loop (yay) and insulated the pitcher pump to render free cooling obsolete (another yay).  Here's to hoping they can.... 

• Fix the bugs. 

More EXTREME extreme asteroids are now more extreme to the max!

Rime temperatures decreases by 10C every next biome and is showered with -200C regolith/iron/CO2.

Frozen solid chlorine turns into bleach stone.

Rust splits into oxygen/iron 50/50.

3 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Reed fiber from printing pod? Does it break anything?

It bothered me that I had to ranch dreckos to have atmosuits in Arboria.

Did you mean thimble reed seeds?  Reed fiber is the product, thimble reeds are the plant.  Unless you wanted to get 20 reed fibers from a care package and then somehow played the whole game with just those.  The lack of gold on that map will probably prove to be an even larger issue when you get to the point where you realize you have to ranch pufts from care packages to get oxylite for rocketry.

I agree with most of what people have already said so to add to it,

New drecko varient for the rust biome, eats nosh beans, has rust scales, poops bleach stone instead of phosphorite, scales grow in chlorine gas instead of hydrogen..

Glossy dreckos regrow their scales in co2 instead of hydrogen

Re-balance some of the more underwhelming geysers to be more useful (namely CO2 vent/geyser, Hydrogen, Hot steam, and maybe nerf slush a little)

Rework puft prince, consumes chlorine, oxygen or polluted oxygen and produces the appropriate solid, the egg rates change related to what gas he is consuming the most, Needs more grooming then average (he is a prince he needs to be pampered), Consumes and proportionately produces more then average puft, (again hes a prince, hes greedy)

Increase work benifit from being in lit area from 2% to 10%

Add a Master Chef skill (3rd tier Chef, call it what you want)

Give some of the new late game foods a apropriate buff/ debuff for eating them

More duplicant traits (positive and negative) for example, Constructive +3 building, Green Thumb +3 Farming, Make Caring give +2 to Doctoring and Ranching (since your good at caring for living things in general, and theres no vet) etc, and make it more common for duplicants to have 2 positive and 2 negative traits.

EDIT: for some reason I was having a hard time remembering negative traits I had been thinking about for a while, Vegan (cant eat meat or eggs) now that we have tofu and other super foods, Scared of the dark (doesnt mind sleeping with a light, and gets stressed without one), Foodie (gets stressed if eating the same thing each day, will go out of his way to eat something different then what he last ate if it is available) These are the main ones i have a few more but im sure this would be a low priority for most people

• Adding the Bleach Factory, allowing to create Bleach Stone out of Chlorine and Salt
  • Adding the Learning Center, allowing any non-Yokel Duplicant to use Data Banks to gain experience (1:1 ratio).
  • Increased average output of CO2 Geysers, CO2 Vents, Hydrogen Vents, Polluted O2 Vents and Contaminated O2 Vents
  • Insulation now requires 85kg of Abyssalite and 15kg of Isoresin
  • Added a menu for the Compost, allowing you to choose which resources to automatically compost
  • Drastically increased all Pufts excretions quantities
  • Added a logic port to analyzed geysers
  • All plants seeds are now available from the Printing Pod
  • Wolframite and Aluminum are now available from the Printing Pod
  • All Points of Interest structures can now be destroyed... Don't forget to inspect them first !

Mostly some unfinished or half baked stuff:

• Add/remove the "life support" skill
Spoiler

[Look at your priorities screen when you hover over life support. Remove it the info or add the skill.]

• Show a number for the total morale buff achieved by learning skills on the skill screen.
Spoiler

[Sure I can hover over them in an other view and see a value "Interested Skills learned", or I could count them everytime ...

Most of the time you have a "morale limit" for all your duplicant, which you want your duplicants to not to excel.

=> A duplicant with a morale requirement of 15 acts like a duplicant with + 3 "interested skill learned" and a shown requirement of 18. [The only difference is the imperative on the printing pod ...]

=> Just show us a more useful number in the table on the left of the "skills screen".

• Adding balm lillies and thimble reed to the care package list.
Spoiler

[Just to make the care packages to more of a safety net for when you miss/delete something.

• Material dependent properties for (atmo) suits.  (At least they shouldn´t act like dirt ...)

Finally and the thing that is bugging me the most:

• Remove the power consumption on shutoff valves or at least let them consume the amount shown in the info screen.

• Reverted WW changes, back to 12kDTU/sec in hydrogen, planting as before, no "domesticated" version.
  • Steam turbine does not delete heat anymore, just like the real-world version. It is still useful for its primary purpose of generating energy, but now requires liquid cooling equivalent to its energy generation in order to not overheat.
  • Added "Space Radiator" for cooling. Will disperse 5kDTU/sec from any liquid piped through it. Beware of freezing liquid!
  • Added possibility to construct ATENs as a late-research option. Needs 10t of refined metal to construct and 10 cycles of dupe labor.
  • Autominers now exchange heat with the tile below their base-plate.
  • Increased Puft production by 5x.
  • Added 3 dispersed Thimble Reeds to Badlands and Arboria maps, player has to find them.
  • Sleet Wheat can be replanted via Pips.
  • Stress is now a thing again. Dupes get stressed more on certain experiences.
  • Added new stress reaction "Panic": Dupe runs around screaming at anybody they encounter, generating 10% stress in them. Does stack on multiple encounters.
  • Can deconstruct everything except Neutronium.

That is basically it. Love the idea of this thread!

31 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Steam turbine does not delete heat anymore, just like the real-world version. It is still useful for its primary purpose of generating energy. 

I strongly disagree with that one. The game balance would suck if you can't use steam turbines around erupting volcanoes.

On top of that, steam engines do actually lower the steam temperature. When extracting energy to make mechanical movements (pistons or turbine), then the pressure drops and the temperature drops. In fact part of the "steam train sound" is the valves draining condensed water from the cylinders. Just think about it. Say steam turbines at a power plant produce 500 MW electricity, where should the energy come from if the steam temperature isn't lowered? When condensing the steam to reuse the water in the boiler, the cooling water will only get around half of the heat from the boiler.

EDIT: apparently people want real life powerplant numbers. 45% electricity, 50% heat in cooling water, 2.5% energy to drive plant, 2.5% loss (mainly heat in chimney). If the steam turbine doesn't cool the steam, then 100% of the heat would be in the water, which would make a horrible power production.

7 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

I strongly disagree with that one. The game balance would suck if you can't use steam turbines around erupting volcanoes.

On top of that, steam engines do actually lower the steam temperature. When extracting energy to make mechanical movements (pistons or turbine), then the pressure drops and the temperature drops. In fact part of the "steam train sound" is the valves draining condensed water from the cylinders. Just think about it. Say steam turbines at a power plant produce 500 MW electricity, where should the energy come from if the steam temperature isn't lowered? When condensing the steam to reuse the water in the boiler, the cooling water will only get around half of the heat from the boiler.

This does only work if you have cooling in the amount of energy you create (for an ideal 50% efficiency). Also, these are _my_ patch notes not yours.

8 hours ago, Andz said:

-Wheezeworts now need only 1/4 of phosphorite but can no longer grow in hydrogen atmosphere. (wheezeworts consume tiny amounts of ice(?))

Um.. Hydrogen is the best gas for Wheezewarts.  The phosphorite requirements really aren't that high, but you're wanting to eliminate the best gas for cooling in exchange for using less phosphorite?  

10 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Say steam turbines at a power plant produce 500 MW electricity, where should the energy come from if the steam temperature isn't lowered?

5 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Real-world steam engines do not delete heat

Real-world, conservation of energy always wins. What is your theory behind where the electrical energy comes from if it is not the heat?

Hint: it's the heat.

7 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Real-world, conservation of energy always wins. What is your theory behind where the electrical energy comes from if it is not the heat?

Hint: it's the heat.

You may have noticed that I adjusted the cooling requirements. Relax. And no, they do not delete heat. The convert it to electricity and that is limited to 50% by some very fundamental Physics. They do not, however, work without cooling. Also, refer to the top posting for the rules of this thread.

45 minutes ago, Gurgel said:
  • Added "Space Radiator" for cooling. Will disperse 5kDTU/sec from any liquid piped through it. Beware of freezing liquid!

That's a huge amount of heat.  I bet the International Space Station would absolutely LOVE to have a radiator that efficient in orbit.  A typical space radiator will remove between 100 and 350 watts per square meter.  Thus assuming 350 watts/m2 you would need a little over 14 m2 of radiator surface area.

Archived