Summarising Cooling Methods Post Fixed Output Temps

To be fair, building a steam turbine setup for the first time in survival is hell. I tried to tame a cool steam vent with one, using an aquatuner to cover the temperature difference. That took me many tries before I got to something that sort of worked, and I still needed to switch to sandbox at the end to tweak some things.

Just now, Grimgaw said:

There are radiant pipes behind turbine using the 8C delta to cool it before dumping the water into volcano.

The sweeper is tied to temperature sensor. 

Top chamber never goes above 102C, Bottom never above 140C. Why would I be bothered about insulation heating up?

'Waste' gold comes out at 130C and since it has no SHC it cools down to air temp almost immediately.

@Logicsol All these questions make me think you never actually attempted to build steam turbine setup, yet you have oddly strong opinions about how hard it is to do. 

You're missing the point. I'm not saying these things are super difficult to do.

I'm saying it's many times more complicated and dupe intensive than setting up a thermoregulator or aquatuner. The setup requires several different late game technologies used in tandem and a strong grasp of how heat works. 

How many players without extensive late mid/endgame experience are going to be able to design a setup that "simple" without copying designs from online?

5 minutes ago, pacovf said:

To be fair, building a steam turbine setup for the first time in survival is hell. I tried to tame a cool steam vent with one, using an aquatuner to covet the temperature difference. That took me many tries before I got to something that sort of worked, and I still needed to switch to sandbox at the end to tweak some things.

Exactly.

The questions I raised where to highlight the various different issues and systems that a player needs to be familiar with to design a working system. The self cooling itself isn't intuitive, taming volcanos isn't an easy task at first, tons of people aren't super comfortable with the conveyor systems, etc. Many players aren't even aware that the steam turbine is for heat deletion.

If you're at the point where building a workable, sustainable steam turbine is a trivial task then it's likely there are very few things that are challenging to you left in the game. You've already obtained considerable mastery of the game mechanics.

1 minute ago, Grimgaw said:

You said it's labour intensive. I disagreed. Just that really.

No, I said it's intensive relative to a building that functions like a thermo-regulator or aquatuner.

You don't really have a good argument when part of your disagreement was 'just thrown in an aquatuner and voila!'.

Hello from DST! I'm just gonna input here... You do know that ice and wheezewort seeds are possible carepackages in an ice biome free world right guys? Don't like carepackages? Well... You still could get infinite wheezeworts in the lategame on any world via rockets visiting the Ice Planet ya know! If you are bent on not using steam turbines, then these would be viable if you could prevent heat death until then. Also... I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet. But, you guys do know that the sieve doesn't default to 40 C water if inputs are below 40 C right?

image.png.7828533c3d0f2ecd7c00c36225181237.png

1 hour ago, pacovf said:

I assume he is cooling the generator with the water that comes out of it. The water comes out at 95C, while the generator can run up to 100C. It’s kind of silly from a physics point of view, but it works in game, as long as the generator is not running close to max power.

May I ask how to get the upper chamber only hydrogen and lower chamber only steam?

In my built in survival, I need to leave a gas pump to remove all gas inside, and then just leave it inside. 

A cooling method that OP missed: Care Packages. 

Most high-mass care packages arrive at a cool or comfortable temperature. Some are even more powerful: plastic, for whatever reason, arrives at -250.

PXueFjk.jpg

If you avoid building with it until it heats up, you can put a fair bit of heat energy into that one lump of plastic.

8 minutes ago, Dosephshih said:

May I ask how to get the upper chamber only hydrogen and lower chamber only steam?

In my built in survival, I need to leave a gas pump to remove all gas inside, and then just leave it inside. 

Liquidlocks. Whether you stack small amouts of different liquids, use viscogel, or do a more traditional U/V shaped one is up to personal preference. 

1 minute ago, beowulf2010 said:

Liquidlocks. Whether you stack small amouts of different liquids, use viscogel, or do a more traditional U/V shaped one is up to personal preference. 

Yes, but viscogel is late game space materials, and U/V lock is ok with oil used but is not looks very good. I like rectangular blocks.

That’s why I finally choose to leave a gas pump inside ;)

1 hour ago, Dosephshih said:

Yes, but viscogel is late game space materials, and U/V lock is ok with oil used but is not looks very good. I like rectangular blocks.

That’s why I finally choose to leave a gas pump inside ;)

You can deconstruct the liquid lock after the build is finished so you only have to look at it during construction.

I personally use the stacked liquid method and move onto viscogel later so I need to make an extra set of tiles outside so I can finish the wall to seal the build then mop up the liquid and it's not that much harder to pump out the deeper U/V lock style. 

Or just leave the pump. I've done that before as well. :D

I usually just seal up the liquid lock with insulated tile once I'm done building to prevent heat leakage like here. Allows access later if I want to change the design for some reason, without having heat leak out. (And yes you can cut 2 diagonal tiles from that oil lock, I just don't bother because I like the look better this way, even if it 'wastes' more oil.)

20190422015712_1.thumb.jpg.50fa6c36e2acc0c549dea59f2a187709.jpg

Later in the game I replace with a double visco-gel vacuum lock (vacuum in between the 2 gel locks),which prevents all heat transfer while still allowing full access, (see top right of the following screenshot), while being quick to build as you can just put a mini pump to quickly vacuum the space in between (or you can build/deconstruct tiles there to delete the gas, but this is sort of cheaty).

20190423070435_1.thumb.jpg.0e94f17c1201f5ec42bf17cd0a3f3fa3.jpg

Using these methods, it's fairly simple to make vacuum steam chambers without leaving pumps inside as you can come back in to deconstruct them (well obviously you do the oil method in the early game but yeah), without forcing you to get it 100% right the first time, which is helpful for less experienced players.

Moving the heat is dealing with the heat. You don't HAVE TO delete it.

And again, the game should not be balanced around outlandish gameplay goals. The game currently was designed with two victory conditions: espace the asteroid or build a monument. And for these two goals there is as much variety in dealing with heat as there is when it comes to dealing with any other problem the game throws at you.

Yes, some people like to play with different goals in mind, and that is great. The game already allows you to do that. But don't expect it to be balanced about your needs. Wanna survive for a million cycles while utilizing every single tile of the map? Go for it. But know that there's a hefty price to pay for it in terms of heat management. Vent stuff into space, automate everything but icefans (lol), build turbines, whatever. But don't complain that you don't want to do these things. The more you push yourself to extreme situations, less viable alternatives will be available to you. That is IMHO a great design decision. You can't have your cake and eat it.

As a thought, for something Klei could do to provide a mid-game solution for things, without needing to particularly add new content as far as heat deletion is concerned is perhaps to remove the requirement for AETNs to generate in cold biomes (though they could have an algorithmic bias towards such), and they could add a guaranteed AETN within a reasonable distance from the printing pod, much the same way as cool steam is guaranteed.  

That should, for most base builds in the mid game, be sufficient, without removing much of the challenge from the game

That, and buff back wheezeworts.  

As for something to add to the game, what about an evaporative air conditioner?  Have a liquid input (Water only), and an air in/out system able to be hooked up to venting, and have it spend say, 10-50g of water / s to cool down 1kg of gas by, idk, 5-10*C  (but not below the temperature of the input water?)  

It would delete a small amount of heat via the water itself, plus the gas running through it getting cooled down.  It would be a mid-game trade off of worsening water shortages/concerns while providing some relief from heat.  

I was revisiting this thread after the most recent changes to cooling by running ice or other cold things through metal tiles hoping that someone had checked it to see if that is even viable anymore with the change in that - has anyone got data on the actual numbers now?  I'm about where I need to start thinking about cooling on my current test branch base on the forest biome, and I'm WAY confused about anything that might be useful longer term besides the turbine/aquatuner combo which honestly I'm not fond of building all over.  I like having multiple builds in my bases. I'm just at a loss right now since the change the end of last week as to what it really means.  I read the thread and came away more confused.....

Aquatuner : 75°C heat deletion :shock:

I reloaded an old save but I’m pretty sure that system is still valid. So basically I’m able to cool down water of a « cool steam vent » from just below 100°C to 22°C (possibly lower) with a single Aquatuner, the key is constant water flow to keep it running ! This is enough to water a small Bristle Blossom farm and showers/toilets for 8 Dupes. I can detail/test extensively if someone is interested.

8 hours ago, PickPay said:

Aquatuner : 75°C heat deletion :shock:

I reloaded an old save but I’m pretty sure that system is still valid. So basically I’m able to cool down water of a « cool steam vent » from just below 100°C to 22°C (possibly lower) with a single Aquatuner, the key is constant water flow to keep it running !

I know that turbine/aquatuner combo works.  But I had read about a bork to the cooling method of running cold items ice etc on a rail through metal tiles - since I like building different things to do the same type work (cool down) I was wondering if anyone had run the numbers on this as a cooling method now after the change.  My goal is to use multiple ways - I'm working on pacu as a coolant for example.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, mathmanican said:

Use whatever method you want to cool the chlorine down (use a nerfed wheezewort in a hydrogen room next to your chlorine room - won't take much to drop the chlorine)

Why do you keep calling wheezeworts "nerfed"? They are just as effective as they were before. The fertilization requirement doesn't change their usefulness.

4 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Why do you keep calling wheezeworts "nerfed"? They are just as effective as they were before. The fertilization requirement doesn't change their usefulness.

Because they cut their cooling to about a third of what it used to be iirc (and that's before the 75% reduction if they're not fertilised).

4 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Why do you keep calling wheezeworts "nerfed"?

You must have missed the bugged wheezewort that performed at 1/4th the actual intended behavior. That has since been patched... This method is useless anyway as matter conversion is dead. 

On 7/30/2019 at 10:15 AM, PickPay said:

So basically I’m able to cool down water of a « cool steam vent » from just below 100°C to 22°C (possibly lower) with a single Aquatuner, the key is constant water flow to keep it running ! This is enough to water a small Bristle Blossom farm and showers/toilets for 8 Dupes. I can detail/test extensively if someone is interested.

Can you post your system?  I'm trying to imagine but I'm not very imaginative, LOL

Archived