Do you like the current asteroid stereotypes ?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Did you play on a Rime or Aridio asteroid already ?

• Yes
    • No, but I like the concept/will try it at some point.
    • No, doesn´t add much to the gameplay if you compare it to other asteroids.
  2. 2. Do you like the maps based on temperature extremes ?

• Rime and aridio are both interesting.
    • With the current tech just rime adds something new.
    • With the current tech just aridio adds something new.
    • No, I prefer different biome combinations over a plain temperature change.
  3. 3. Would you want a more extreme temperature gradient between the starting biome and the rest of the asteroid ?

• Yes (Would feel like old times when biomes were less insulated.)
    • Yes, a normal starting biome just without an insulating border.
    • No, I like the current gradient.
    • I don´t care

After playing a bit with the new asteroid, I am a bit underwhelmed by 4 of asteroids:

• Volcanea: If the additional magma veins are all insulated, it takes something away. (I would prefer the slow uprising heat death as the flavour for this asteroid type.)
  • Oceania: At first for being the last/most hostile asteroid, it lacks the challenge and second the map is fun to play with but a "subsurface ocean" as a starting parameter produce something very similar even on other asteroid types.
  • Rime and Aridio: Both lack something in my eyes, but I don´t want to go in detail here right now to not jeopardise the poll.

Spoiler

I would prefer a flavour more similar to an abyssalite free map for the temperature extreme maps, where you need to prepare for the upcoming.

For me it´s confusing that aridio and rime are considered the same.

"Normal" map:

• Liquid water
  • You (mostly) need only cooling to keep your base running.

Aridio map:

• Liquid water
  • You (mostly) need only cooling to keep your base running.

Rime map:

• Not much liquid water, but ice to melt. (Ice still loses half it´s mass if you need to dig it.)
  • You need different ways to deal with the cold outside and the heat in later game stages.
  • No balmlillies and no slimelung.

=> Aridio offers less new challenges(/"new" problems to solve) compared to rime.

Rime is exceptionally simple if you do not care about long-term sustainability. Funnily, the problem is cooling. Short-term (say for 1000-2000 cycles), you can just use the ice and ignore everything else. If you actually want something that is credible long-term, you have even less options than on other maps.

The other problem with Rime is that everything just takes longer.

30 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Rime is exceptionally simple if you do not care about long-term sustainability. Funnily, the problem is cooling. Short-term (say for 1000-2000 cycles), you can just use the ice and ignore everything else. If you actually want something that is credible long-term, you have even less options than on other maps.

The other problem with Rime is that everything just takes longer.

Strange for me rime was the oposite i skyrocket in development oo.

Aridio poses an immediate challenge: (maybe) cooling down your farm to grow crops.

Rime poses an immediate challenge: (maybe) heating up your farm to grow crops.

Outside of that, both maps are very similar to every other.  I say (maybe) because I'd had starts on both where the starter biome was big enough to stay comfortable for a long while.   

I've been contemplating making a cold-extreme map as a counterpart to Volcanea.  The shtick would be oceans of condensed gases.  Liquid methane, liquid H2, liquid chlorine, etc.  Mostly ice instead of stone.  Lots and lots of power and water, but you REALLY don't want to heat up the map or everything will boil at once.  Does that sound like something you'd find worth playing?

13 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

No balmlillies and no slimelung.

No balmlilies, true. But there is morb, and if slimelung spread and infecting dupes we can only wait it out. This is only dangerous when rime world already warmer though. In my map one morb spawn not far from cold steam geyser, where become dangerous early. Until I got plastic and move him to an enclosed area. Oh, we can just kill them but I don't want to.

If dev adding something else that can spawn slimelung in the future, it will be a threat, especially in a later stage because of no cure.

I love rime because it is the only map with essentially all biomes, and the only map with multiple major volcanoes in the magma biome, making me want to venture down there.

The new map temperature is a very different experience for me, which is great.

As for difficulty, I don't really know how to judge that. It was fine, I did not think about it. I didn't choose rime because of difficulty. Difficulty is not implicitly interesting to me.

I really hope one thing can get changed for rime though: balm lilies added to printing pod or a planet. I can always spawn one in with dev tools once I reach space though, so I don't care too much.

I have tested Rime for the first time yesterday and it really is a cool asteroid (no pun intended). It completely change the gameplay as the threat is the cold, and not the heat. You have to really think different and it's nice, it gives other perspectives to the game.

2 hours ago, Dracian said:

It completely change the gameplay as the threat is the cold, and not the heat. You have to really think different and it's nice, it gives other perspectives to the game.

And that´s my problem with the current aridio asteroid.

Rime feels like a new and different experience, but aridio and badlands are more similar gameplay-wise than aridio and rime.

Spoiler

Aridio is hard if you rely on plants, but a microbe musher and a grill are enough to make mush fry for the first 1000cycles if you really want to ...

Aridio sounds like the opposite to rime on paper, but the only "new" challenge aridio introduces, is living with less (wild) plants.

I testes both maps on ravanging hunger and played at least 100 cycles.

=> Use a microbe musher and the harsh start of aridio is trivial.

2 hours ago, Dracian said:

I have tested Rime for the first time yesterday and it really is a cool asteroid (no pun intended). It completely change the gameplay as the threat is the cold, and not the heat. You have to really think different and it's nice, it gives other perspectives to the game.

It does that. Once you have figured it out, it is not difficult though. But to be fair, a simulation would need hand-crafted maps to be very difficult but still manageable. Klei has to stay away from the really tough situations or they may easily create maps that are impossible to survive, no matter what you do.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

It does that. Once you have figured it out, it is not difficult though. But to be fair, a simulation would need hand-crafted maps to be very difficult but still manageable. Klei has to stay away from the really tough situations or they may easily create maps that are impossible to survive, no matter what you do.

I think you'd be surprised. Certain maps might be EXTREMELY hard, but possible. Remember that post about the dude that had a boulder overlapping his pod and had to wait 20 cycles with no resources to get that digging skill point? I thought there could be a way out back then, still do. Dupes are extremely hard to kill, and there's a lot of "emergency" or non-renewable resources available on most maps.

Extremely hard asteroids where you have to come in with a plan and struggle to survive could be a fun challenge for players that exhausted the rest of the game

Wait, no balm lilies from the pod on Rime? I am just about to start a game there cause I want EVERYTHINGGGGG in the game, but that poops on my plan.

I've read somewhere that pod can create stuff you've encountered, right? So can I somehow spawn 1 lily somewhere, get it "explored", then delete it and have it as a possibility in the pod? Do I need to enable Sandbox for that? Or are there other options?

4 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

I've read somewhere that pod can create stuff you've encountered, right? So can I somehow spawn 1 lily somewhere, get it "explored", then delete it and have it as a possibility in the pod? Do I need to enable Sandbox for that? Or are there other options?

I don't think so. I never ever printed balm lilies or reed fiber from the pod no matter what.

Oh, I see. Okay, I haven't yet had a colony reach space (last I played properly was a year ago and I got too fascinated with separating gasses and hoarding wild critters in designated areas to bother with such puny things as rockets and space exploration). Delay is fine by me, I just kinda want to know I can eventually get to see AND have it all in a game :D Thanks @Kangaax

EDIT: Oh no I saw Kangaxx edit! I need help again, it seems, lol (a sad lol!).

1 hour ago, Ellilea said:

Wait, no balm lilies from the pod on Rime?

Well, there can be, but most likely not. Rime kills all of the natural plants in the caustic biome, so you can't get any that way.image.thumb.png.790e555e216ff680a6e301e25ff7fbaa.png 

But, there is a chance you could get a setpiece like this one below that has balm lilies naturally growing in it.

image.thumb.png.ca2503e99fc5d6d1d4198f6818c05938.pngimage.thumb.png.80dbab34b727f6e7a128b271ebeee050.png

So, its a game of chance whether or not you get balm lilies.

Tbh it might even be considered a bug with rime.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

After playing a bit with the new asteroid, I am a bit underwhelmed by 4 of asteroids:

• Volcanea: If the additional magma veins are all insulated, it takes something away. (I would prefer the slow uprising heat death as the flavour for this asteroid type.)

depends on the seed of the map.  - some of them have it where there are cracks in their insulation(breaks in abysalites)  and once you play it- it starts heating upalot through the obsidian tiles.

43 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:
On 1.7.2019 at 10:20 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

depends on the seed of the map.  - some of them have it where there are cracks in their insulation(breaks in abysalites)  and once you play it- it starts heating upalot through the obsidian tiles.

But it´s not much more dangerous than a crack in the insulation of the "normal" magma layer.

=> The asteroid "stereotype" seems like a interesting scenario, but plays like a "regular"(/pre launch) map.

3 minutes ago, axxionx12 said:

Came here for extreme roids... Kind of disappointed...

Try HTFST-A-817795410-0.  It's not a crushing challenge but you'll need to hustle to beat the heat, and there's a few places where the volcanic traits are leaking nearby to keep you from getting complacent.

6 hours ago, Ellilea said:

Wait, no balm lilies from the pod on Rime? I am just about to start a game there cause I want EVERYTHINGGGGG in the game, but that poops on my plan.

Same here. Stopped that colony after cycle 50. That restriction is just silly. You can work with it, but it adds nothing worthwhile IMO.

13 minutes ago, Gurgel said:
7 hours ago, Ellilea said:

Same here. Stopped that colony after cycle 50. That restriction is just silly. You can work with it, but it adds nothing worthwhile IMO.

Just started my rime colony and found the holy poi WoodieMain posted with some balm lilies inside ;)

I feel like Question 3 is somewhat of a troll question. I've rolled a Rime asteroid where within 10 blocks of my starting pod the tiles were -200c.  I've also rolled a Volcanus asteroid where within 10 tiles of my pod was molten lava.  In both cases, these temperatures were on the other side of a thin border of granite.  Its a little difficult to figure out how much more extreme of a gradient there could be, since temperatures don't go that much higher or lower. 

Archived