Do you like the current asteroid stereotypes ?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Did you play on a Rime or Aridio asteroid already ?

• Yes
    • No, but I like the concept/will try it at some point.
    • No, doesn´t add much to the gameplay if you compare it to other asteroids.
  2. 2. Do you like the maps based on temperature extremes ?

• Rime and aridio are both interesting.
    • With the current tech just rime adds something new.
    • With the current tech just aridio adds something new.
    • No, I prefer different biome combinations over a plain temperature change.
  3. 3. Would you want a more extreme temperature gradient between the starting biome and the rest of the asteroid ?

• Yes (Would feel like old times when biomes were less insulated.)
    • Yes, a normal starting biome just without an insulating border.
    • No, I like the current gradient.
    • I don´t care

27 minutes ago, Lurve said:

Try HTFST-A-817795410-0.  It's not a crushing challenge but you'll need to hustle to beat the heat, and there's a few places where the volcanic traits are leaking nearby to keep you from getting complacent.

I'll have to try on my launch day reroll. At the moment I'm goofing around on Aridio  experimenting with a cool water positive feedback loop system... 

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I feel like Question 3 is somewhat of a troll question. I've rolled a Rime asteroid where within 10 blocks of my starting pod the tiles were -200c.

I rolled 3 Rime maps, and all of them had just -30°C outside the starting biome (in the range visible centered around the printing pod).

So my favorite setup would be a "normal" starting biome (~20°C for the full biome) and "most of the time" -200°C around it.

=> The first cycles would be like a normal colony, but around cycle 10-20 the first lakes would begin to freeze ...

[Would increase the value of early insulation and would add some negative effect if you dig into the copper veins ^^]

In my humble opinion it would be more fun than the current version. Like this if your the same opinion ;)

11 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Just started my rime colony and found the holy poi WoodieMain posted with some balm lilies inside ;)

After reading this I felt I can't enjoy my current colony if I don't have it, went on to Sandbox-reveal (planning to find another seed that does), but it turned out my game has it too! Wee :D Well, wee unless we all die soon cause I derp out lol.

Alright, I've got some extreme worlds for you to try out.

https://github.com/facepalm/oni-extreme-worlds

Usage: Place your choice of world folders into the mod folder the game searches for on your system.  On Windows that's "Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\mods\dev\."  On Linux, it's "~/.config/unity3d/Klei/Oxygen Not Included/mods/Dev"  Note the capitalization.  You may also have to create the dev/Dev folder.  The modding system is still flaky, and will probably complain once the game is loaded that the mods have all changed and demand that you restart.  If that happens, delete mods.json in the mods folder and it'll "install" the worlds again the next time you start the game.  The world should come up as an option when you click the mods button in the main menu.  Select it, and the asteroid will be available on the world selection screen.  Once you have a map going, feel free to remove the mod (and delete mods.json again) entirely.  Your map is already built and can be loaded as normal.  Theoretically.  Meanwhile I'll be over in the bugs section filling out reports for all this foolishness.

Maps:

Hirise - In the spirit of Factorio's ribbon worlds, an all-biomes map that's 1000 tiles high and 80 tiles wide.  Forest start because I like pips, but there's sandstone out there too.

Vesuvia - Standard Volcanea map (or it should be, at least), without most abyssalite.  You've got a few dozen cycles before you're toast.  I'm honestly not sure how best to survive.  Hunker down and rush exos?  Run for a frozen biome or water geyser?

Cryoth - Extreme cold map, nowhere near ready yet.  Turns out each subworld, feature and poi have their own temperature settings and they're all way too warm so I'll need to pick and alter the ones I want.

I spent this evening playing a Vesuvia start.  It's doable, but it was VERY touch and go for a while.  I was continuously capping off hot areas for the first sixty cycles.  You can see here that the heat started being a problem within a screen of the printing pod; by the time I caught up and walled off the last of it I was within a screen of Space on both sides of the map.

Spoiler

5d2d4d9626974_ChristmasinJuly.thumb.png.7a2e6597313d3d2d8fe537d07d240705.png

Archived