Do you think we'll get nuclear reactors in Launch?

As of now, Lead is currently in the Launch beta.  And @watermelen671 unearthed the following nuggets after the beta went live last Thursday.

Art Assets

Spoiler

temp_0.thumb.png.e470d2dbdd92f4ce69998501239c52d6.pngdepleted_uranium.thumb.png.27f10fa1101836be0ab7d0b7c6c5fd54.pngdepleted_uranium_0.png.5ed9f9a39a57e2b2a0e2b36b5677f2bb.pngenriched_uranium.thumb.png.25972180b7bc08624f0844aa883b1641.pngenriched_uranium_0.png.2ec0387e663ba41c6c157d049ef2518b.pngenrichmentcentrifuge_000.png.dde6cdcf18e24d09144deff8225a04aa.png

Code

Spoiler

public class NUCLEARREACTOR
        {
            public static LocString NAME = UI.FormatAsLink("Nuclear Reactor", "NUCLEARREACTOR");

public static LocString DESC = "Makes an absurd amount of heat";

public static LocString EFFECT = "Heat!";
        }

Spoiler

public class URANIUMCENTRIFUGE
        {
            public static LocString NAME = UI.FormatAsLink("Uranium Centrifuge", "URANIUMCENTRIFUGE");

public static LocString DESC = "Enriched uranium is a specialized substance that can be used to fuel powerful nuclear reactors.";

public static LocString EFFECT = "Extracts " + UI.FormatAsLink("Enriched Uranium", "ENRICHEDURANIUM") + " from " + UI.FormatAsLink("Uranium Ore", "URANIUMORE") + ".\n\nOutputs " + UI.FormatAsLink("Depleted Uranium", "DEPLETEDURANIUM") + " in molten form.";
        }

So it looks like the developers have put some work into making nuclear reactors a reality.  Whether or not they've abandoned the idea, are saving it for something to explore down the road via DLC, or are still trying to sneak it into the Launch version of the game, I can't say.  I will say this, the prospect of mining and enriching uranium to harness nuclear power while avoiding all the pitfalls that come with that has me very excited.

Keeping already half-made ideas for DLC is a shame :-/ I was really expecting those to come for the release, including datamined stuff like electrum, those flying aggressive Pikachu, the wild pig/rat, uranium and radioactivity, pyrite, and so on. 

It's weird to think that the DLC could be already as much in the pipe, while the release isn't finished. It tasts a bit as a profit strategy. We're yet experiencing so much new features following the updates, that it's hard to admit that they will say stop at a point (release date) and start to make money out of other new features.

It's just my feeling I agree, but the DLC should add only features they didn't think about when the game was in-developpement, for the release. I'm kinda old school framework, but 10 or 15 years ago when a game came out, it's finished, and devs have gathered all ideas, and polished them, into the release version, because DLC wasn't an existing concept.

But as said, I must be too old school to be cradled without few waves by those new marketing and fincancial process... :)

I'm just gonna say "I like how they made a nuclear reactor do exactly what a nuclear reactor does in the real world and nothing more."

What do you think, 10, 20, 50 turbines worth of heat?

Bonus points if it's a positive feedback reactor that will melt itself if you don't keep up with the heat deletion.

No, I haven't watched the tv series.

1 hour ago, OxCD said:

It's weird to think that the DLC could be already as much in the pipe, while the release isn't finished. It tasts a bit as a profit strategy.

It does take money to make the game, so they ought to be strategerizing some kind of profit, right?  As profit strategies go, I like expansions* better than sequelitis: making Oxygen Still Not Included and Oxygen Not Included 3: Meep's Revenge and ONI4 (just the acronym) and Oxygen Not Included (reboot), each of which just recreates the base game in a new engine with as much new stuff as we get in a minor update.

I bought this game two yearsish ago.  I'm fine paying again in a year's time if it keeps that sweet sweet content flowing.

*Note: the game industry doesn't like to call things "expansions" anymore, it's all "DLCs" now because it makes it harder to tell the difference between actual content packs and buying horse armor.  If ONI DLC is on the same level as DS DLCs have been, they'd be worth it.

4 minutes ago, Lurve said:

It does take money to make the game, so they ought to be strategerizing some kind of profit, right?  As profit strategies go, I like expansions* better than sequelitis: making Oxygen Still Not Included and Oxygen Not Included 3: Meep's Revenge and ONI4 (just the acronym) and Oxygen Not Included (reboot), each of which just recreates the base game in a new engine with as much new stuff as we get in a minor update.

I bought this game two yearsish ago.  I'm fine paying again in a year's time if it keeps that sweet sweet content flowing.

*Note: the game industry doesn't like to call things "expansions" anymore, it's all "DLCs" now because it makes it harder to tell the difference between actual content packs and buying horse armor.  If ONI DLC is on the same level as DS DLCs have been, they'd be worth it.

Sure. And it doesn't alter the fact that buying ONI is already completely worth it, for me. Even I bought it only in Qol1 :) I'm convinced my money was well spent, considering the fun and hours I've already devoted. Nevertheless my feeling remains, this commercial strategy is impacting my judgment. You know when this DLC stories begin, you never know how far it's goin'...

(And please, do not tell me : "if you don't wanna buy DLC and invest more money, don't buy DLC that's all", thanks I think I'm old and wise enough to take care of my decision :D, and again that's not my point)

18 minutes ago, Lurve said:

So much true. I bought around 2 years ago and played again recently - it had SO MUCH new content and so much potential to add more - I'm fine to pay some money more as they keep updates decent. 

I'd be happy to pay for a Nuclear DLC, but I sure wish it came the same day as the final release :D (yes, yes I know it can't and it won't pff, shush)

ONI is wonderful game for many hours of fun, I don't mind giving Klei a few more bucks since I've bought ONI a year ago and it's about to deliver a new batch of fun, but I can't say I have as much patience when it comes to juicy additions as I do good will when it comes to supporting Klei! :D 

3 hours ago, OxCD said:

electrum, those flying aggressive Pikachu, the wild pig/rat, uranium and radioactivity, pyrite, and so on. 

Okay, most of these "half-made ideas" are scrapped concepts that are REALLY old. But let's go down the list:

• Electrum: I think it was just phased out in favor of gold. Simple as that.
  • Flying Aggressive Pikachu: Shockworms were scrapped because the devs really didn't like the idea of aggressive mobs being in ONI due to the fact that they didn't mesh with the play style they were aiming towards. And TBH they still don't mesh well, especially considering where the game is now. The only hostility is the harsh, barren asteroid you've landed in, and the only danger you're ever really in is your own incompetence. Anything that may be a threat to you can be overcome and made to serve you. The game is set up to revolve around passive hostility, whereas implementing aggressive mobs like Shockworms would be a sudden and radical shift from ONI's passive hostility, to DS's active hostility, in the latter's case literally everything is actively trying to kill you.
  • Wild Pig/Rat: The Volgus was scrapped so incredibly early on, and was scrapped so fully I don't think there will ever be a chance you'll get your beloved pig rats.
    Spoiler

Sorry @minespatch

Spoiler

No joke, there's nothing left of the Volgus in the files aside from the barebones assets. No lines of code, nothing.

Tbh, I think the artwork of the Volgus now clashes with what ONI has become.

I even think the devs made a little wink to them in the game. 

Jodi made these limbless mutant rats, which she loved and adored. But then the Director...disposed of them, saying that they were no longer needed. But hey, that's just my crackpot conspiracy theory. :wilson_curious:

• Uranium and Radioactivity: Now this wasn't always the case, it was actually Radium for the longest time, and that was literally it. Didn't stop people from pestering Klei endlessly about it though.
  • Pyrite: It's just iron and sulfur. Do you really want more useless sulfur?
Spoiler

I'm surprised nobody's going on about:

• Tungsten Diselenide 
  • Palmera Trees 
  • Fervines 
  • Avari Vines
  • Existential Angst
  • Brain Fog
  • The Lackadaisies
  • Trench Stench
  • ...whatever the heck "Ginko Nut" is
  • Dupes being Frozen to Death
  • Dupes Exploding in Over/Under Pressure Atmosphere
  • Pond Scum
  • Mercury
  • Helium
  • propane.png.84ef4b26a77874b25c31b8cb10378281.png
  • The Void
  • Fires
  • Gas Masks
  • Water Suits
  • Different Suits for Occupations

For real though, I couldn't care less about radiation/nuclear power, just gimmie my chef suit.

5c87cf9f72e26_chefmi-ma.png.06a81834c0fc35105f8e9be691d3d51c.png

@watermelen671 Yes, Uranium and Radioactivy are old in the game files, but the new add in the Molecular Forge (Yellow Cake - Uranium) appeared this patch.

So we can considered it can be release with this version.

5 hours ago, OxCD said:

Keeping already half-made ideas for DLC is a shame

We don't know that they're doing that; it was just idle speculation on my part.

Even if they are holding it back, they may have perfectly valid reasons for doing so.  It could be that they can't quite get the thing working like they want.  Or that they're holding it back until they can devise a proper radiation mechanic, complete with overlay.  Or maybe they're concerned it will trivialize power generation, but they have in mind some new buildings for potential DLCs that will draw tons of power, and thus a nuclear reactor would be better suited for latter.  Or who knows, maybe they're putting the finishing touches on it and it will be added to the beta by the end of the week.  It's a bit premature to be judging their decisions based on what little we know, especially considering the good will they've built with the community.

@watermelen671 some of the big list you've made were induced by my "and so on". I didn't have the game here neither the full list in my head, so I've posted the few first that come to me.

By the way my point remain. There's some feature datamined and/or part-coded that maybe will only come with DLC, whether you approve those I've mentionned or not.

That brings me the feeling described above.

4 minutes ago, OxCD said:

@watermelen671 some of the big list you've made where induced by my "and so on". I didn't have the game here neither the full list in my head, so I've posted the few first that come to me.

By the way my point remain. There's some feature datamined and/or part-coded that maybe will only come with DLC, whether you approve those I've mentionned or not.

That brings me the feeling described above.

So when are you and minespatch making a Volgus cult? :wilson_ecstatic:

Spoiler

I kid...mostly. >.>

46 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Yellow Cake - Uranium

Oh...I thought that was another food recipe. :wilson_curious:

Spoiler

Also, uranium is new to the games, radium is the old radioactive material. :wilson_sneaky:

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Hide contents

• Tungsten Diselenide 
  • Palmera Trees 
  • Fervines 
  • Avari Vines
  • Existential Angst
  • Brain Fog
  • The Lackadaisies
  • Trench Stench
  • ...whatever the heck "Ginko Nut" is
  • Dupes being Frozen to Death
  • Dupes Exploding in Over/Under Pressure Atmosphere
  • Pond Scum
  • Mercury
  • Helium
  • propane.png.84ef4b26a77874b25c31b8cb10378281.png
  • The Void
  • Fires
  • Gas Masks
  • Water Suits
  • Different Suits for Occupations

Ready and willing to complain about the absence of each and every one of these. Where do I sign up for the brigade?

We got lead this patch and some uranium assets. Uranium makes more sense as a power source than radium and lead might be the required material for reactors. But if they want to add it they should do it this week. Otherwise there might not be enough time to test it out properly.

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

I actually haven`t heard of most of those. But mercury. I hoped it would make it in. It`s a perfect liquid to put in the caustic biome.

Archived