food hunger values need a change since almost everyone don't think food is a problem

An idea just came into my mind.

Food made at crock pot, its hunger value should be set to the lowest possible value of the sum of all its ingredients (in all possible recipes).

For example, meat ball will now give 12.5+2.3x3=19.4 hunger (1 morsel + 3 ice), meat stew gives 25+18.75+12.5x2=68.75.

To compensate, crock pot food should be at 100% freshness when cooked. And make farms cost less resources, like basic farm and improved farm cost half its price.

Also some crops should be given multiple when harvest, like one harvest gives 3 carrot.

To make this game even more challenging, you can't eat a food if current hunger + food hunger > max hunger * a multiplier.

Choose the multiplier so that a wolfgang can't eat pierogi when at full hunger.

8 minutes ago, yisishoujo said:

meat ball will now give 19.4 hunger, meat stew gives 68.75

That would make crock pot useless and Webber, Wortox, Wormwood way too OP.

What's the use of the crock pot if the food you cook inside will always get a lower food value? There's a reason why almost nobody cooks foods like ratatouille etc.

OP pls do go and play pubs, the Vanilla Klei Official variety, to see where actually is the skill level of vast majority of players, the ones only playing (and dying like.. a lot) through autumn, and what does them in: spoiler - is hunger; and darkness; and ...you really need to "bathe" in those pubs and be amazed. I for one am kinda tired of all these apparent elitist solo players making their Dunning-Kruger upper-segment some kind of default template of thinking in relation to all player base.

2 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

the ones only playing (and dying like.. a lot) through autumn, and what does them in: spoiler - is hunger; and darkness

Also from Spiders, Guardian Pigs (perfect bait), Tentacles (if there's loot nearby) or during Winter from Fire or Dragonfly.

1 hour ago, Dr. Safety said:

As a Warly main, I take offense to this. 

Sorry for non thread related comment.... 

But that smile on Warly from your profile scares the **** out of me... OK... I've said it... Moving on... 

In general to topic... I think that any person playing in private servers can adjust food and resources to "less" if playing solo or with a small group of people without asking for a change to the base cuz IMO public servers do really teach you that food is not as ez to come by when you play with a lot of inexperienced people. 

Nerfing recipes is not the answer. Actually I think a food rework might be more fun with added food effects and bonuses to encourage croc pot food variety. BTW, I hope Warly includes some sort of food rework and if possible Gorge cooking stations. That would be very cool

I don't know how Klei can change anything food related without pissing people off, but I know + and myself are a bit bothered by how minuscule the hunger mechanic is in this game.

It works fine for now, but I always did want a way to make starving a bit more in your face.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

I don't know how Klei can change anything food related without pissing people off, but I know + and myself are a bit bothered by how minuscule the hunger mechanic is in this game.

It works fine for now, but I always did want a way to make starving a bit more in your face.

grogginess anim when at 10-15% or less?

Warly in DST is good as is, in fact I think Warly might be better at teamwork as a stat supporter rather then being solo, the only tweak I see for him is the "special" recipes which might have 'light' coffee effects to make them "special"

Portable crockpot = I think others could use it but only Warly can carry it

chef-pouch = allies can travel farther with lower spoilage meals, amass ingredients and save gears

meals have 1.33% bonus (only when there made by Warly) = works well with all the characters (especially ones with diet problems), could be a great healer too

This would solve nothing. Instead of cooking meals, you could just live off of the ingredients instead. The real issue is with food production. Things like bee hives and pig/bunnyman farms make hunger trivial. It's super easy to produce more food then you would ever need with these. And then there's the fact that bundling wrap exists, so you can hold onto any additional food indefinitely.

9 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

That would make crock pot useless and Webber, Wortox, Wormwood way too OP.

What's the use of the crock pot if the food you cook inside will always get a lower food value? There's a reason why almost nobody cooks foods like ratatouille etc.

crock pot food gives sanity and health, some sanity giving items need a nurf

webber is not op, its just a play style.(although i think monster meat shouldn't have a different status to him) wortox and wormwood are op by design, they are paid characters anyway.

If these changes apply, veggies are better eat raw and meat needs to be cooked, people can choose the safe way by making farms or the dangerous way hunting meats (meat definitely should be more dangerous to get), if they don't get hurt they are ready for a boss.

9 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

OP pls do go and play pubs, the Vanilla Klei Official variety, to see where actually is the skill level of vast majority of players, the ones only playing (and dying like.. a lot) through autumn, and what does them in: spoiler - is hunger; and darkness; and ...you really need to "bathe" in those pubs and be amazed. I for one am kinda tired of all these apparent elitist solo players making their Dunning-Kruger upper-segment some kind of default template of thinking in relation to all player base.

are you saying that the vast majority of players are playing in pubs

i think most of the player who used to be interested in this game are not playing, people currently playing this game are often playing solo even if they are in pubs its just klei officials is where new comers tend to go

8 hours ago, FyreIsBoss said:

What's the point of changing the game mechanics to create a problem?

game mechanic is not well thought, people just walk around and get bored when they know the mechanic

Overeating should have negative effects, eg. lost of sanity or vomiting (like Beefalo) blah blah. Apart from that, nah.

meybe we just need more ingredients and an additional fun way/mechanic to find em, stuffs like venturing to find a rare herb for medical uses...

sfmbe

5 hours ago, yisishoujo said:

wortox and wormwood are op by design, they are paid characters anyway.

Debatabley both of their powers are extremely powerful, but I would not consider them op but instead were intended create new interesting play styles while being able to synergize with other characters outside of playing solo, and do have their share of downsides.

5 hours ago, yisishoujo said:

are you saying that the vast majority of players are playing in pubs

i think most of the player who used to be interested in this game are not playing, people currently playing this game are often playing solo even if they are in pubs its just klei officials is where new comers tend to go

I would disagree in saying a large majority of people play solo, but instead do a mix of it and pubs. Klei official servers take up a vast majority of the first server listings on the browser outside of casual public 6-player servers and are usually full of lots of players. Their levels of skill can vary, but its common to come across a highly skilled group of 2-3 or a diamond in the rough on these servers. All these factors can lead to a surprisingly organized group of strangers or absolute chaos depending on the situation, which is what I think is the point of DST in the first place, having these bizarre multiplayer interactions.

There is a large group of players that do play solo, but it comes at a cost of losing the experience of these multiplayer interactions. Klei servers are a breeding ground for interaction that is built into the game. I'm pretty sure there's only a minority that play the game only purely solo, people probably have their servers open to randoms in hopes of finding reoccurring players or interesting encounters.

6 hours ago, yisishoujo said:

game mechanic is not well thought, people just walk around and get bored when they know the mechanic

Hunger has been in the game since the beginning, it would be hard to put it off as a bad game mechanic. Its a constant hurdle in Don't Starve that, as you continue playing, you learn how to overcome in different and more efficient ways. Nerfing the crock pot and buffing farms only causes avoidable and unnecessary problems and removes the main, interesting use of the crock pot. If anyone is truly bored of the hunger mechanic, many mods exist that change it or people can personally challenge themselves by not using the "meta" recipes for meatballs, pierogi, etc.

If there ever was a hunger rework, it would probably have to be massive with the large amounts of food that exist, which could take a long amount of time that could be instead used on newer content.

6 hours ago, yisishoujo said:

crock pot food gives sanity and health, some sanity giving items need a nurf

Sanity? Seriously? How many sanity items does crock pot have? - Three? One can make an argument on how meetballs remedy hunger a lot or some foods heal a lot, making actual healing items obsolete. But sanity is definitely not it. You have Melon Pops, which require you to farm the specific seed and keep some ice from colder seasons, ice cream whic requires Elwctric Milk- hard to get and rare; and Taffy which cost minor health and require investment in beehives. All are well earned and not really OP, if anything wevneed more sanity heavy foods like Carrot Cake (Carrot+Honey+Egg), Banana Split (Cave Banana+Ice+Honey/Dairy/) and Ashura (Pomegranate+Birchnut)

Pubs usually survive until someone burns the base though.. I don't know what is all this talk about pubs dying before first winter. (Although they probably survive longer if someone is helping them instead of shouting NO ONE ENTERS MY BASE UNTIL THEY SURVIVE 50 YEARS)

Honestly, just don't even touch hunger. Nerfing foods like meatballs isn't the way to go either because some other food will take its place. If hunger continuely get nerfed than eventually the game will become a sitting and eating simulator 

Archived