Any unknown mechanic to share?

On 3/2/2023 at 5:09 AM, ButterStuffed said:

Farm plots can store up to 100 of each type of nutrients, so crop setups like this can produce all giant crops if you rotate the placement of the top and bottom every harvest.

Hide contents

warlyfarm.JPG.ffeb38aa896e0cddc08725d4ab25af4f.JPG

Homeless bees plant a flower after every 6th flower visited. Catching 6 butterflies, and 4 bees, briefly visiting the caves to remove the bee's connection to it's hive, and releasing them into your flower field will constantly produce flowers so long as a player is close enough to load the bees in.

Homeless bees also spread evil flowers.

Okay the rest of your tips were nice however isn't the farm one completely useless? You can get the exact same results without rotating the crops by planting 1 row garlic/pepper/onion like this

G G G G G G

O O O O O O

P P P P P P

27 minutes ago, Jun91 said:

Okay the rest of your tips were nice however isn't the farm one completely useless? You can get the exact same results without rotating the crops by planting 1 row garlic/pepper/onion like this

G G G G G G

O O O O O O

P P P P P P

The crops on the ends of the row don't get the family bonus.

• Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

45 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

The crops on the ends of the row don't get the family bonus.

Since when?

Look at this guide

6dieathf6a891.png?width=1604&format=png&

You can see all top row examples uses straight row planting. According to your logic the end plants wouldn't get family bonus which is false.

Another example, see how the corn is planted in a straight row on both sides?

EDIT: Before you ask "but only modded pc users can do that"

An actual Klei Developer commented on that part and 4 crops on a single row was actually intended by them. And you can easily do it yourself even without mods by planting seeds after each hoe and then after hoe again next to the seed. This way you can have the perfect distance for 4 rows family without the help of mods

Edited by Jun91
added a comment
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jun91 said:

Since when?

Look at this guide

6dieathf6a891.png?width=1604&format=png&

You can see all top row examples uses straight row planting. According to your logic the end plants wouldn't get family bonus which is false.

Another example, see how the corn is planted in a straight row on both sides?

EDIT: Before you ask "but only modded pc users can do that"

An actual Klei Developer commented on that part and 4 crops on a single row was actually intended by them. And you can easily do it yourself even without mods by planting seeds after each hoe and then after hoe again next to the seed. This way you can have the perfect distance for 4 rows family without the help of mods

Hmm, the tool I use to check farm plant combinations is incorrect then.

Thanks for pointing that out.

17 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Hmm, the tool I use to check farm plant combinations is incorrect then.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I assume you used this tool based on image you first used.

https://erocrizs.github.io/dst-farm-planner/

It shouldn't be incorrect or maybe you have an outdated version. You can click the helmet in the first slot and inspect each farm tile which tells you the status of each tile.

123.png

• Sanity 1

3 minutes ago, Jun91 said:

I assume you used this tool based on image you first used.

https://erocrizs.github.io/dst-farm-planner/

It shouldn't be incorrect or maybe you have an outdated version. You can click the helmet in the first slot and inspect each farm tile which tells you the status of each tile.

123.png

https://glurak.github.io/SimpleDSTFarmPlanner/
I use this one normally. I used the alternative because it looked better for the purposes of presentation.

Looking at it now I am realizing where I made my mistake. The orange background, that I had assumed indicated loneliness, is just a warning that it is difficult to plant crops at this distance without mods. That’s on me for making assumptions and not testing thoroughly enough.

I posted before you can have up to 9 quickcraft tabs if you increase the number in the settings. I also want to mention that you can assign keybinds to "page left" and "page right" on the quickcraft tabs if you go into your keybinds settings. I use these keybinds all the time to quickly craft items. I use "Z" to page left and "C" to page right, since I've always had "X" on "Open map", and "V" is to "Open the crafting menu", which works nicely for me.

DST quickcraft tabs keybinds.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:03 PM, Sustenance said:

Tentacles spawned by Wicker's book can't spawn on items, so you can make a super cheap and funny tenta pit like this:

unknown.png

EDIT: just saw this was already posted, but the picture is funny and serves as good reference, so ill keep it

Tentacle spawning got changed at some point. This is a fixed version (center items is only for showing where to stand)

image.thumb.png.796809764f1005b47e89938de9b3f9a7.png

• Like 4
  • Sanity 1

Not an unknown mechanic, in fact I think it’s a completely intended mechanic- but if there’s people reading this who don’t know of it, then it’s still unknown to them! So with that said..

The Shell Bells you can get from Pearl can be hit with a Hammer and broken into Seashells, which can THEN be used to upgrade your boats (including Grass Rafts) with Shell Bumpers.

One Grass Raft+ a full all round Shell bumper + a Driftwood Oar + plenty of grass to repair said raft = Every annoying seastack in your world smashed into and destroyed. :love_heart:

• Like 6

More unknown but most likely completely intended mechanics.

You can use content, against content.

Regular Hound Wave + a Varglet Vs a Brightshade = Entire Hound Wave Dead.

Large Fire Hound Wave Vs Brightshade = Entire Hound Wave AND The Brightshade Dead (Yes Fire Damage from hound attacks will apparently kill Brightshades)

Antlion Craters Vs Lunar RiftCrystals = instantly mined RiftCrystals without needing to waste mining tools trying to gather Pure Brilliance. 

Group of Brightshades Vs Eye of Terror = EoT Dead.

Despite some minor annoyances with Brightshades in groups (and the frequency in which they spawn..) I am having an absolute blast with this new update and this new stationary enemy mob. :love_heart:

• Like 3

Punch bags with bramble husk equipped will trigger the AOE effect on hit. What's nice about this is that you can trigger it with 0 damage attacks such as ice staves and pillows.

This can be made into some super efficient mob farm, better than catapults. (Winona nerf confirmed)

Edit: I made a simple varg farm to test its efficiency, using only 2 vargs and a steel wool pillow, got 240 monster meat in a day(excluding the one eaten by hounds). Very efficient with minimal resource sink.

Edited by _zwb
  • Like 9

36 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Punch bags with bramble husk equipped will trigger the AOE effect on hit. What's nice about this is that you can trigger it with 0 damage attacks such as ice staves and pillows.

This can be made into some super efficient mob farm, better than catapults. (Winona nerf confirmed)

nice tech !

• GL Happy 1

A few since wilson update:

- Meat in your beard is hidden from bunnymen and they dont attack you

- If you transmute big meat into two morsels, even if stale, it will be fresh morsels (also can turn 1 big meat into 2 eggs this way)

Edited by loopuleasa
  • Like 12

A crown shard provides infinite light when placed in a glowcap, which is well known.

A spore in a crown shard changes the color of the shard's light and lasts forever, which is also well known.

But, did you know additional spores placed in the same glowcap as the one containing a crown shard also lasts forever?

Edited by cybers2001
  • Like 2

This is one that I was a little surprised to discover a fair number of people still don't know about; especially since it's actually very cool and useful.

While defending Wagstaff during the Lunar Event, you can use Bird Traps on Misshapen Birds and Moonblind Crows to capture them. Once captured, they can be put into a bird cage just like a normal bird; only these birds give Rotten Eggs instead of Eggs and Rot instead of Seeds. EXTREMELY handy and time-efficient for making gunpowder and fertilizer.

.20230309035941_1.thumb.jpg.9ca9303230badfdadce959f0133a6ef2.jpg

(If you're wondering, they drop Rot when "murdered" in your inventory.)

Edited by Ryusuta
  • Like 6
  • Shopcat 1

2 minutes ago, Ryusuta said:

This is one that I was a little surprised to discover a fair number of people still don't know about; especially since it's actually very cool and useful.

While defending Wagstaff during the Lunar Event, you can use Bird Traps on Misshapen Bird and Moonblind Crows to capture them. Once captured, they can be put into a bird cage just like a normal bird; only these birds give Rotten Eggs instead of Eggs and Rot instead of Seeds. EXTREMELY handy and time-efficient for making gunpowder and fertilizer.

.20230309035941_1.thumb.jpg.9ca9303230badfdadce959f0133a6ef2.jpg

Do they also starve like regular birds?

• Thanks 1

Here are some temperature and thermal stone tidbits.

• The target temperature of a player can be calculated by averaging all affecting temperature sources including the worlds ambient temperature.
  • Contrary to popular belief the dragonfly furnace isn't very hot. It is a disappointing 115* which is equivalent to a maxed out campfire. In the midst of Winter, where the temperature drops to around -30*, the furnace is only capable of heating the player up to around 42.5*.
  • Hot foods, such as kabobs, are best consumed fresh after fully warming up by a suitable heat source. This is because the player's temperature cannot change by more than 1* a second unless past the freezing threshold. If we consider that a furnace can only heat a player up to 42.5* in the middle of Winter you can use the 40 second cooking time of kabobs as a timer for how long it takes to fully warm up, then eat the kabobs while near the furnace to bring you up to a toasty 60*. This is also applicable to cooling foods in Summer.
  • Thermal stones store temperature the same way players do, but with a 120 insulation factor and a broader temperature limit of -20* to 90*. Unfortunately the thermal stone appears to follow the same temperature changing rules as the player, so furnaces and endothermic fires aren't enough to bring the thermal stone to their limit. In addition there are very few extremely hot or cold temperature sources that are capable of hitting that limit.
    • The magma pools by Dragonfly produce a temperature of 500* constantly. Even if the winter brought the temperature down to -300* the magma would have no problem heating a stone up to its maximum temperature.
    • A burning tree produces a temperature of 220*. They only burn for 45 seconds, so to bring a stone to max temperature you would need to burn at minimum two separate trees.
    • Placing a thermal stone next to a single polar light while in the caves is capable of reducing the stone's temperature to -20. On the surface it requires a minimum of two polar lights to do the same thing.

I thoroughly tested this myself using status checking mods, so I’m fairly confident this is all accurate. 

Edited by ButterStuffed
  • Like 4
  • Sanity 2

5 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

• Contrary to popular belief the dragonfly furnace isn't very hot. It is a disappointing 115* which is equivalent to a maxed out campfire. In the midst of Winter, where the temperature drops to around -30*, the furnace is only capable of heating the player up to around 42.5*.
  •  

Yeah I typically build 2 furnaces next to each other so I can actually get good temps in winter.

Interesting about the food that effects heat.  I never used those foods b/c they never seemed to work.  Now I see why though.  I should have eaten them at max heat to extend my temp rather than at lowest heat to stave off cold.  Different then Warly's food or Wicker's books.

good info

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, or if this is an "unknown" mechanic, but I like to set up these Buzzard Lures in the desert. It's just 3 Walls, 1 Door, and in the middle I drop a Powdercake and a stack of Rot on top of it. These can be placed where you see Buzzard Icons on your Map. It serves 2 purposes. 

1. Keeps the Buzzards away from me and my stuff.
2. When 2 Buzzards are attracted to the same structure, they fight each other and one of them will kill the other. The remaining Buzzard will stay locked onto the Powdercake/Rot in the middle of the structure and won't eat the meat the Buzzard it just killed dropped. Also, it's a slow, yet passive Jet Feather Farm. 

Screenshot 2023-05-13 114544.png

Edited by goodguythatguy
  • Like 7

This is only useful for people that like to eat Wobster, and this might be obvious. I like to find a spot where several Wobster Dens spawn near each other, as close to base as possible. Then I set up a GlowCap to light up the entire area where they spawn and place a Chest with my Rod and Lures nearby. The Wobsters only come out late in the day and at night, so it's nice to always have their spawn points lit up. Fishing is a pain in the butt, so anything I can do to make it easier, I do.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 125534.png

If you're lucky, your world will spawn a Salt Formation area close enough to land. You can use Dock Kits to make the whole area farmable without any Boats or threat of Cookie Cutter attacks..
Also, Abigal does a really good job of killing all the Cookie Cutters, but be sure to bring Polly Rogers Hat with you to get all the drops out of the water.

Screenshot 1.png

Edited by goodguythatguy
  • Like 3
  • Sad Dupe 1