Any unknown mechanic to share?

On 8/14/2023 at 6:27 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Apparently if a pig gets attacked by a frog right as your trying to hire them you’ll end up with a completely free follower and get back the pigskin you tried to hire him with.

IMG_5867.gif.dd4728ae8cd607553edc91aa062ec3d6.gif

I think you will be able to reliably do this with two players if you have a cutlass which makes mobs drop stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m just now discovering you can feed Woodies Transformation Idols to Bird in Birdcage to get eggs for Perogi, this is Game changing for me because IDOLS NEVER SPOIL.

It won’t mean anything to Anyone who has killed Bee Queen and obtained Bundling Wraps to forever preserve their foods.

But those of you who do that seem to also forget what playing this game is like without access to such a powerful item, I often return from long trips to discover all my food in my fridges has turned to rot during my time away from base.

So having these Idols that won’t ever spoil to feed to bird only when I “need” eggs & don’t need the transformation totems is pretty nifty.

Good idea!  But what about the bird?  You'd still have to catch a new one if you don't bundle wrap one to be ready when you get back.

Also do you often find it difficult to get food stocked back up?  Or just appreciate ways to have food at-the-ready for bases that you don't live in often?  I've found kelp and tall birds are a great way to always have food on hand when returning from a long trip b/c tall bird eggs never spoil, and kelp can stay harvest ready, never withers or smolders.  Tall bird egg + kelp gets you a scotch egg for 150 hunger pretty fast.

8 hours ago, _zwb said:

Ah yes the character who can 2 hit crawling horrors would struggle with sanity. Just kill the shadow creatures or eat some banana shakes, it's dirt cheap.

fr with Wanda and Wolfgang I'm desperate to stay low sanity b/c they can clear the sanity creatures so fast.  Lets me stay stocked with nm fuel for magi.  No way would I want to cut off that supply.  Now if only Wolfgang had a weapon that used nm fuel too...  I use spike shield a lot with him which is close enough using food.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 1

Normally if it dies before I get home I just get a new bird, as long as I have one bird trap and a seed to put over in it. As far as foods goes most the time I just make a meaty stew by killing one of the Beefalos or killing a few Catcoon, if it’s winter I can kill birds & rabbits for 1 small morsel + 3 ice for the bunny stews.

Outside of that though since I play mostly alone I don’t have to share any of the naturally growing food so I can just live off berries/carrots (unless I lower their spawns in world Gen)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I don't know if it's known but Walter's poop shots trigger brumble armor on a target dummy which can be used as an aoe damage station I guess. 

Pillows, ice staves and brightshade staff can also trigger the effect

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

You can reliably knockoff weapons from a player / mob (frog effect) using the cutless btw

Yes but the pig would lose it's loyalty if the owner hurts it. (Also you just repeated what i said)

Edited by Jakepeng99

3 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I don't know if it's known but Walter's poop shots trigger brumble armor on a target dummy which can be used as an aoe damage station I guess. 

Pffftt Target Dummy, that’s novice level.. what you REALLY Need to use is a Group of Deadly Brightshades.

Ive discovered that if a boss like Deerclops or Bearger attacks a Brightshade, if your close enough you can hit the Brightshades from afar with a boomerang or Walters pelts, to trigger its defensive spike the boss itself triggering its AoE, Plus YOU triggering its AOE immediately right afterward, is pretty much AoE spamming the boss to death.

The only hard part is getting the boss in the center of the group of Brightshades.

These things are Awesome, one of my favorite mobs to ever be added to DST.

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

So it appears that Wormwood actually DOES have a secret combat perk, That secret perk is being able to force Brightshades to spawn on the seeds he randomly plants out in the world, being able to control where Brightshades spawn is OP in of itself.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

So it appears that Wormwood actually DOES have a secret combat perk, That secret perk is being able to force Brightshades to spawn on the seeds he randomly plants out in the world, being able to control where Brightshades spawn is OP in of itself.

What do I need to do to do that?

4 hours ago, Spino43 said:

Anyone can do the trick. You only save like 1 garden digmajig without wormwood.

If you have the materials always on hand to make for it.. yes. If you don’t.. then Wormwood can just plant seeds directly into the ground. So.. panflute Dragonfly to sleep, plant some Brightshade loving seeds around her (can’t do that with your 1 digamajig can you?) if she wakes up, Panflute again and plant more seeds. Leave the area.. wait for Brightshades to spawn, return to area but this time with long distance weaponry which can trigger the Brightshades but not be close enough to aggro D-Fly herself, hit said Brightshade to trigger its defensive spike, Dfly will start attacking Brightshades, keep hitting them from a distance to keep triggering AoE effect (it’s probably best to target lock the Brightshades so you don’t accidentally draw Dragonfly’s aggro on yourself) Reap the Rewards of melting through her enormous health bar, without needing to build a billion walls, a couple Winona catapults, or need to use Wolfgang.

Wormwood is OP.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you have the materials always on hand to make for it.. yes. If you don’t.. then Wormwood can just plant seeds directly into the ground. So.. panflute Dragonfly to sleep, plant some Brightshade loving seeds around her (can’t do that with your 1 digamajig can you?) if she wakes up, Panflute again and plant more seeds. Leave the area.. wait for Brightshades to spawn, return to area but this time with long distance weaponry which can trigger the Brightshades but not be close enough to aggro D-Fly herself, hit said Brightshade to trigger its defensive spike, Dfly will start attacking Brightshades, keep hitting them from a distance to keep triggering AoE effect (it’s probably best to target lock the Brightshades so you don’t accidentally draw Dragonfly’s aggro on yourself) Reap the Rewards of melting through her enormous health bar, without needing to build a billion walls, a couple Winona catapults, or need to use Wolfgang.

Wormwood is OP.

Or maybe just use some basic armour/head slot with some heals? Kiting is op.

• Big Ups 1

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood is OP.

This strategy is basically the plant seaweeds around crabking and wait for them to kill the boss slowly. Like yeah you can do this but it takes more time than just doing it manually 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you have the materials always on hand to make for it.. yes. If you don’t.. then Wormwood can just plant seeds directly into the ground.

I don't think anyone would struggle to get a garden digmajig post celestial champion...even if you tamper with world settings it'd take at least 10 days until the rift reach max stage.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So.. panflute Dragonfly to sleep, plant some Brightshade loving seeds around her (can’t do that with your 1 digamajig can you?) if she wakes up, Panflute again and plant more seeds. Leave the area.. wait for Brightshades to spawn, return to area but this time with long distance weaponry which can trigger the Brightshades but not be close enough to aggro D-Fly herself, hit said Brightshade to trigger its defensive spike, Dfly will start attacking Brightshades, keep hitting them from a distance to keep triggering AoE effect (it’s probably best to target lock the Brightshades so you don’t accidentally draw Dragonfly’s aggro on yourself) Reap the Rewards of melting through her enormous health bar, without needing to build a billion walls, a couple Winona catapults, or need to use Wolfgang.

You don't have to do all this panflute shenanigans, Dragonfly despawns off screen, so when you come back she'll always spawn at the fixed location. Just plant seeds around the spawn point after you've killed her.  Though I think she would be able to fly over brightshades? Also she can aggro on you because the range weapons has a shorter range than her aggro range.

Have you actually tried this method in game?

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

6 minutes ago, _zwb said:

I don't think anyone would struggle to get a garden digmajig post celestial champion...even if you tamper with world settings it'd take at least 10 days until the rift reach max stage.

You don't have to do all this panflute shenanigans, Dragonfly despawns off screen, so when you come back she'll always spawn at the fixed location. Just plant seeds around the spawn point after you've killed her.  Though I think she would be able to fly over brightshades? Also she can aggro on you because the range weapons has a shorter range than her aggro range.

Have you actually tried this method in game?

Yes.. did I die? No comment.

17 minutes ago, _zwb said:

I'm too stupid to read between the lines, could you tell we directly what you meant by "did I die? No comment."

It means that my plan probably did not go as I had planned it out on paper when put into execution.

However: if any of you want a 100% working way to kill Dragonfly without really needing to do much at all Get the Terrarium, Fill it with Nightmare Fuel, Craft a Bush Hat, Summon the Twins of Terror Near Dfly, Hide in Bush Hat before they spawn. Wait for them to make laughably short work of her, reap the almost completely free rewards.

And as an added bonus- the twins themselves will be weaker after having fought DFLY so if you wanted to you could finish them off and reap their rewards as well. Just be sure that A: You do this where there will be a night of significant lengthiness so the twins don’t despawn before picking her off, and B: You don’t come out of hiding until they Despawn when the sunrises.

Playing as Wes requires you to think outside the box, or DIE.. so that’s partially where I scheme up these crazy strategies.

Plus- well I mean the animated short for Eye for an Eye showcased EoT EATING Bearger, if Klei didn’t want me attempting to summon EoT/ToT on other bosses, they shouldn’t have made an animated short that sparked the idea.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It means that my plan probably did not go as I had planned it out on paper when put into execution.

However: if any of you want a 100% working way to kill Dragonfly without really needing to do much at all Get the Terrarium, Fill it with Nightmare Fuel, Craft a Bush Hat, Summon the Twins of Terror Near Dfly, Hide in Bush Hat before they spawn. Wait for them to make laughably short work of her, reap the almost completely free rewards.

And as an added bonus- the twins themselves will be weaker after having fought DFLY so if you wanted to you could finish them off and reap their rewards as well. Just be sure that A: You do this where there will be a night of significant lengthiness so the twins don’t despawn before picking her off, and B: You don’t come out of hiding until they Despawn when the sunrises.

Playing as Wes requires you to think outside the box, or DIE.. so that’s partially where I scheme up these crazy strategies.

Plus- well I mean the animated short for Eye for an Eye showcased EoT EATING Bearger, if Klei didn’t want me attempting to summon EoT/ToT on other bosses, they shouldn’t have made an animated short that sparked the idea.

im 90% you've participated in the thread the brightshade method (with walter) where the OP suggested it. Likewise you've participated in the early threads around using the twins to fight bosses, which you originally disliked for some reason.

Give credit where its due :p

• Like 2
  • Happy Hazard 1

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood is OP.

Let's dissect this.

1/ So 3 boards, 2 rope and 2 flints are incredibly hard to acquire (and a hoe).

2/ Armor exists, and you can despawn her like others mentioned.

3/ what will you do when she goes summoning larvaes?

4/ about the walls, you actually only need like 30 rocks for a good enough wall, what is this great wall of china mindset?

5/ So you try it, and it fails miserably, then why make it like it's a strategy that is incredibly effective?

P/s: did you try the twins thing or just another "paper plan"? And does it have anything to do with brightshades planting? You never mention dfly before quoting my answer, and now you pull in the twins? For a writer you sure like to go off the rails in topics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Happy Hazard 1

13 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

As an aside - I think this still works - if you put Dfly to sleep with the pan flute it resets her home location.  She resets when she leaves her home location by a certain amount, so you can sleep her to lure her further from her arena then normally possible.  If you bring her far enough away she will not return to the lava ponds to re-summon, instead she will just start spitting lavae out where she is.  You could do this to work around her need to fly around summoning to both work around her behavior and wipe out the lavae at the same time, although the BS plants are susceptible to heat damage so you might want a flingo to ice the place when they pop.

55 minutes ago, Uedo said:

...which you originally disliked for some reason.

Just save the links for when they go off about how walls are cheese again lol

30 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

Let's dissect this.

1/ So 3 boards, 2 rope and 2 flints are incredibly hard to acquire (and a hoe).

2/ Armor exists, and you can despawn her like others mentioned.

4/ about the walls, you actually only need like 30 rocks for a good enough wall, what is this great wall of china mindset?

5/ So you try it, and it fails miserably, then why make it like it's a strategy that is incredibly effective?

P/s: did you try the twins thing or just another "paper plan"? And does it have anything to do with brightshades planting? You never mention dfly before quoting my answer, and now you pull in the twins? For a writer you sure like to go off the rails in topics.

Do you have any possible Idea how much time you will waste to “Reliably” dig enough garden digamajig holes around Dragonfly to achieve the same thing Wormwood can by just gathering 30 seeds and then going ham by spamming them in a circle around her? 

Let’s do the maths shall we? For starters, 1 Garden Majig isn’t going to be enough to get a reliable Brightshade spawning circle around the Dragonfly. You’d actually need 10 or more probably, not to mention all the waiting you’ll do for the animation of the darned thing ripping apart the dirt, THEN to top that off you’ll need to strategically till in the soil to plant the seeds (removing any debris or other unwanted obstructions in the process with a shovel) Meanwhile

Send Wormwood in with just a stack of seeds plant them around her & job done.

Secondly.. as @Shosuko stated Brightshades do take fire damage so it won’t be a very reliable strategy while fighting her but I’m not looking for Reliable, I’m looking for FUN and Not Boring.

To answer your other question about the Twins, yes I have used this method many many times and it does work, but.. there are risks involved & you can fail.. such as making sure your far enough away from the fight once it starts not to get blindly Swipe dashed by the Twins when they go into Phase 2. They won’t attack you & their minions won’t attack you as long as you hide in the bush hat before they SEE you, if they do see you, you won’t be able to even activate the hide prompt.

In addition, When the warning of hound waves coming to attack starts if your world has Brightshades toggled on get close to them, but not close enough that their tunneling vines can hit you, hide in the bush hat and the entire hound wave will attack the Brightshade & die out.

PROFITS!