Any unknown mechanic to share?

On 26.05.2019 at 8:50 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

You can't use anything in that free hand. They fixed that bug quite a while ago. It works like that so it doesn't extinguish if you're trying to drop it on the ground.

looks like this stuff works again, or maybe its bug on some servers

Not sure if this is 100% true but from my experience Depth Worms will not spawn from a Depth Worm wave in the Atrium, or atleast not inside the main area where fuelweaver is fought.

• Like 2

On 26/05/2019 at 5:50 AM, Brago-sama said:

Lureplant bulbs are the most fire susceptible objects in the game. Basically, if it's on your screen during summer and the game says something should start smoldering, it will be the lureplant everytime. Useful if you have little to no gears. Just place 4 bulbs in the corners of the radius of one ice flingo and build your base within sight of the bulbs. Just dont forget to put down flooring that eye bulbs can't spawn on. (Crafted flooring/green and red fungal turf/sandy, cave rock or rocky turf)

Planted bulbs have the highest priority when comes to smoldering. Game checks for it in a radius similar to lighting rod (almost two screens) which is a lot more than flingo. You can fake-extend the radius of flingo by placing bulb next to it. Whenever something is about to smoulder withing two screens of bulb, it will be bulb, and the flingo will extinguish it. 

-Smoldering, which is when object starts to burn, has different times. You will see a smoke coming out of it and a sizzling sound. The times varies between items it can be anything between half a second and ten seconds. You can extinguish the object in the smoking phase with your hands, losing 3 hp or by using ice staff, water ballon or luxury fan. Objects already on fire cannot be extinguished by hands, you need to use any of the 3 items mentioned before. 

-Fire spreads to nearby objects; they will start to smoulder before catching fire. Nearby objects cannot catch fire from other object on fire if they are wet (for example after rain). 

-During summer wildfires does not happen in night 

-Early game you can see position of other players by using compass (1x Flint + 1xGold, survival tab, no research needed). Everyone who has compass equipped can see other players with equipped compass on the map. 

-I've seen many times on streams, that new players does not know this. You don't have to use mouse to interact with items or move around the map. Use WSAD keys to move, Q and E to rotate camera, and SPACE to pickup nearby items or use tool on object like an axe on tree. You can use F key to attack hostile mobs, you can also hold it, use F with CTRL to force an attack on neutral mobs like butterfly. 

-Pengulls spawn during winter by walking close the map edge. They will jump out of the ocean and wander towards their icy nest. They will destroy every wall on their way and eat meat lying on the floor including deerclops eyeball and ancient guradin horn. Basing near map edge is not advised 

-Summon reanimated skeleton in caves outside of atrium and use thurribke to make him your follower. He can be used to cut down trees or rocks on the way, he will attack mobs or defend you from depth worms attack. He has huge negative sanity aura, so use bee Queen hat to make it positive gain. 

-You can eat gloomers goop to replenish 40 health and decrease sanity by 50

-Fences can't be hammered but can be destroyed by attacking. Destroying gates will return 100% materials required for crafting them 

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 6

There’s a technique to catch rabbits with just an axe, or at least to increase your chances of getting it. It’s tricky enough that it doesn’t normally work every time. You may have noticed that rabbits have to circles around them, one that causes them to run towards their hole when entered, and a smaller one that causes them to run away from you, in whatever direction that may be. Line yourself up so that you are off to the side of the line between the rabbit and their hole. Move close enough to the rabbit that you would trigger them to run to their hole if you were on the line as opposed to beside it. There is a sweet spot for this, so it may take a few tries to get it. Run perpindicular to the line between the rabbit and the hole. (In other words, run towards the line, not the rabbit.) The rabbit will begin to run towards the hole, and since you’re between it and the hole, towards you. Attack just before it begins to run away from you. If you’ve lined yourself up right and you hit the timing, you’ll catch the rabbit. It’s not the easiest thing but it works.

Here’s an ugly diagram. It is not in the least bit lined up correctly, but it’s the general idea:

088215AC-A42A-45A0-B0B7-63079EE82804.thumb.jpeg.40d3ace564d7952dbf37157798faa571.jpeg

09521094-8E08-4C62-BA5D-843FCCC9269F.thumb.png.a2cc5a9cae261a152ecb7fd76ed9ba00.png (For the record, that was not first-try)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The 2C3D said:

088215AC-A42A-45A0-B0B7-63079EE82804.thumb.jpeg.40d3ace564d7952dbf37157798faa571.jpeg

didn't try this before, but I believe start from rabbit hole side could have higher chance and easier to kill rabbit

at least I've success so many times

Edited by gghhrr
  • Like 1

I can't say it's a "Mechanic", so I put it in a spoiler.

It's just a neat little feature, I guess. Not many other places to share this with.

Spoiler

Players will use different hit animations depending on what they're hit by.
Standard makes the character jump up, as usual.

Getting hit by cave-in debris will have the character play a unique animation. (Looks like you're getting hit by something in the head. Expected.)

And Antlion spikes will send you flying into the air, too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you kill a mob before they finished eating, they will drop the food that they were eating

You can look at a bird cage and see if the bird is hungry or not. If the bird is leaning to the front, that means the bird is hungry

Wigfrid's damage reduction also applies for fire damage

Not a mechanic but a trick, you can put a rabbit trap outside of the rabbit hole and dig the hole for an instant rabbit. I use this to get the prestihatitator quickly

I have a lot more but most of them are already mentioned here

• Like 7

Don't know if posted but

Gnawing a Giantic Bee Hive as Woodie gives ridiculously more honey/combs due to the fact that woodie's gnawing is less efficient at activating the queen, meaning he can gnaw it much more times resulting in it dropping far more honeys than with a normal hammer.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

On 5/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, HeatAndRun said:

you can give an egg to antlion for a desert stone.

you can deconstruct your pan flute after use it for hunting down dragonfly. That would drop 1 mandrake.

you can notice when the decease will happen, by observing character quotes carefully when you're harvesting plants.

If you missed character decease detecting quote, don't worry. You still can know what plant took decease by examining them.

I didn't understand about the harvesting one, can i have a detail explanation about that?, which plants?, sorry i'm not a veteran in the game. :/

One very useful, but doesn't works on iOS or Android, i don't know if it works on console too, but on PC, if you click fast and in a good timing, while chopping, hacking or mining, you character will skip a good amount of frames in the animation, making it to do the action faster, if you want to collect many resources faster, this is your way to go, note that clicking faster wouldn't work, this is based around timin', and sometimes you will do it perfectly but sometimes you will do it horribly

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ismael Marin said:

I didn't understand about the harvesting one, can i have a detail explanation about that?, which plants?, sorry i'm not a veteran in the game. :/

He mistyped disease, a mechanic in which after a certain amount of days, most replanted plants (grass tufts, berry bushes, twig saplings) will succumb to it and start giving rot instead of thier specific resources.

• Like 1

Wetness can cool you down quite a bit. In summer you could toss a water balloon on yourself for a quick bit of cooling. You can also intentionally splash yourself with an oar when on a boat to quickly reach 100% wetness.

This also means that the Fashion Melon and Ice Cube are more efficient for summer than clothing with similar insulation levels (120 and 240 respectively) because of the wetness they grant.

The fashion melon also has a cooling effect of 55° and the ice cube has a cooling effect of 40°. This means that you can actually start cooling down (slowly) while wearing these hats, especially if combined with chest insulation such as the floral shirt.

Of course the penalty for wearing these items can be quite steep. The fashion melon grants -2 sanity/min (I guess it's useful on the lunar island) and the ice cube has -10% speed.

• Like 6

The fastest way to gain sanity is to befriend 5 pigs and start chopping trees. just standing at the tree boosts your sanity super fast.

you can make fish sticks with 1 fish 1 stick and 2 monster meat

you can feed your bird in the cage seeds and it will drop after 4 seeds poop.

craft a campfire and but dont place it. keep it for emergencies.

use the ice hounds from walrus to freeze it with a blow dart and then easily kill him

dont know if it changed but tallbirds dont loose their aggro on chester so you can easily kill them without getting any damage

• Like 2

About birds:

Crows spawn on every turf except for grass turf. Redbirds and snowbirds spawn only on grass, savanna and forest turf. Canaries replace some crows (but not all) near a scarecrow. This means that canaries won't spawn on grass turf. 

In clear weather, birds spawn every 5-15 seconds, with a cap of 4 for each player. Wearing a feather hat changes the spawn rate to every 2-10 seconds and increases the bird cap to 7. 

During rain, birds will spawn more frequently (four times to be exact). Without a feather hat, birds will spawn every 1.25-3.75 seconds. With a feather hat, birds will spawn every 0.5-2.5 seconds.

Edited by mistrbushido
redbirds and snowbirds also spawn on savanna turf
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Most mobs are slower than the player, or can be easily dodged/have their movement path manipulated. This applies to hounds, Koalaphants, and all the way up to seasonal bosses.
The Dragonfly is both fast and able to reach a fair distance.
And aggros on pretty much anything that gets too close to it.

With this in mind, you can make Dragonfly kill any non-stationary mob or boss for you.
Make the mob you want to die chase you.
Run toward Dfly's den, but as you approach it, curve around Dfly so you just barely don't aggro it yourself; if you do this correctly, the mob chasing you will take the shortest path, cutting through the area you curved past and running straight into Dfly. Once Dfly is chasing the mob, run up to the mob to bait out one attack; this will cause the mob to stop for long enough for Dfly to attack it, causing their fight to start.

You can also use Dfly to farm 100% of a Frog Rain without the use of massive amounts of grass traps; just standing somewhere near the range that causes Dfly to spawn will eventually result in a frog dropping next to the beast and attacking.
Be warned that once the Dragonfly's target dies, it immediately goes for nearby players, unless attacked again. Here, you use a similar tactic to what's above; lead the Dfly into the horde of now-angry frogs that are jumping toward it due to the death of their compatriot. Once the boss is in the middle of the horde, it won't escape until the Lavae-laying phase.

Not only is the spam of tongue attacks annoying a raid boss at light speed highly entertaining, their numbers do so much damage that they typically get Dfly into its 'knocked down' state; at this time, you can run over and help them out a little for some free dragon scales.
...once the first wave of Lavae die, however, the Dfly will use its ground pound attack, killing all of the frogs at once
Several stacks of frog legs within a couple rains.

In theory, if you were to take it out of its enraged state quickly with a non-Pan-Flute option (since Pan Flute would put the frogs to sleep), you should even be able to use a good Frog Rain to kill Dfly without throwing a punch yourself.

As for gathering the drops from your slave's willing assistant's den, just make it aggro on you, then run away until it flies up into the sky; you now have enough time to run back to the Dfly den and gather everything dropped by your quarry before it re-spawns.

In a similar way, if you happen to be near a swamp when tracking a Koalaphant, look for Tentacle ground bumps and make it run and stand on them; the Tentacle will aggro, leading to the Koalaphant fighting back and both mobs becoming easy kills.

Edited by maradyne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If the player is wearing bone armor with a thule crown, and the thule crown’s bubble pops, the crown will always take damage from hits, even if the bone armor is recharged. As a result, the bone armor will almost always be ready to go by the time the crowns bubble fades, giving you a little more immunity to being stunned.

Triple bone armor allows you to block almost every attack in the game, including ones from the tier 3 shadow knight and the bee queen. Managing the armor is incredibly difficult though, and doing double only is much easier, even if you take extra hits.

In the event you do have the crown produce a force field that you don’t want due to using more durability then normal, you can quickly unequip and reequip the crown. Doing so cancels the force field.

If the player is doing book reading magic, the best place to do it is on the lunar island. When reading, the player will lose lunacy incredibly fast, and since having 0 lunacy is positive on the lunar island, it’s very profitable to spam books as long as you want. It’s also a super neat spot for birds of the world krampus farming, since you won’t be harassed by shadows then on the mainland. As a result you can farm krampus from day to night without much issue, especially if you keep them out using walls/sculptures.

One more thing: armor in DST will protect from the full amount of damage even if the durability wasn’t enough to usually do it. For example, taking a hit from bearger with a 3-4% durability football helmet will reduce the damage to 20, even if the armor wasn’t nearly strong enough to do it. I’ve seen this a lot with people who usually play DS, since armor in that doesn’t follow this and will only protect as much as the durability allows, so taking the same hit from bearger with a very low durability helmet will hit you for much higher.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

That doesn't work

the collapse drop is random between 1 or 2 rock, but I've had my fair share of two rocks.

perhaps it's been fixed very recently. Haven't done the trick in several weeks. Klei doesn't always put all they do in the changelogs.

Edited by Hell-met
  • Sad 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:36 PM, reverentsatyr said:

Crafting a scaled flooring and then using a deconstruction staff on each flooring tile will give you 6 scales for the price of 1.

For console players, L3(left stick) is for locking on the mob where the attack button is currently hovering at, in case you are fighting a target among non-hostile mobs that could get in your way.

My friend taught me this really good one:

Bring a bee queen crown and snurtle shell armor with you when you go to the ruins. When a nightmare stage begins, go straight to a nightmare light, equip the crown and shell, and hide in the shell right next to the nightmare light. This will both give you a ton of sanity, and nightmare creatures will ignore you.

Also, if a friend(s) is with you, give him all your food and have him quit during the nightmare phase while you hide next to a nightmare light, and have him join again when it's over. That way, you only need one crown and shell, and the food will last a little longer before spoiling.

Like this one thanks

• Like 3