[POLL] Thoughts on Abandoning Ship?

Yarr harr fiddle di dee!  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should Abandoning Ship be a guaranteed escape from death?

• Yes.
    • No. It should be a chance of survival, like ballphins from shipwrecked.
    • Other (reply below)
  2. 2. Should there be a stat penalty for abandoning ship?

• No. (Only Wetness)
    • Yes. (Sanity Penalty)
    • Yes. (Sanity and Hunger Penalty)
    • Yes. (All Stats Penalized)
    • Other (reply below)
  3. 3. Should you drop your items upon sinking or drowning?

For the third question, I am among the first two alternatives...
Losing the boat is a bad thing, depending on how much investment you've made to build it and what's stocked in it, but I also find it odd that the ghosts remain with items, however, I believe that the updates that will come, they'll fix it.

18 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Though keep in mind, we are still in a pretty early beta, so the aspects of the ocean might not stay the same as time goes on.

Let that echo around here. Don't forget!

As far as penalty I would say full wetness, as is, and a health penalty. Wetness will lead to a natural decrease in sanity anyway, and I don't see much reason for hunger to be penalized for contact with water.

The only other thing is I would prefer if you "washed" to a nearby shore. Might be a bit finicky to code just right, but just appearing at the portal seems really odd—and as you said can be exploited as a form of travel.

You should be able to swim and when your boat breaks you have to swim all the way to shore and most likely die from freezing or get eaten by hostile sea creatures and abandoning ship should be removed.

20 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

You should be able to swim and when your boat breaks you have to swim all the way to shore and most likely die from freezing or get eaten by hostile sea creatures and abandoning ship should be removed.

Woodie & Wolfgang can't swim based on quotes, so those two and WX-78 would just outright die, bahaha.

If the Ballphin idea was to get implemented, I'd like to see the lifejacket ported over from Shipwrecked. It could guarantee survival when abandoning ship; for the prepared survivors who prefer to not hedge their bets when the worst comes to worse. Though it would probably depend on the chances of survival to determine if it'd actually be worth it or not. 

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

Woodie & Wolfgang can't swim based on quotes, so those two and WX-78 would just outright die, bahaha.

Wolfgang and Wx-78 not being able to swim and instantly drowning could probably be a good con for them since they're so powerful.

Woodie's beaver instincts can probably kick in and he doggypaddles back to land or something, maybe other players could get on his back too for a ride. That would make him pretty fun to play as imo and could lead to some fun moments.

2 hours ago, X-lem said:

What do you mean the items remain with the ghost? The first time I died I lost all my items in the water.

If you use the plank to abandonship (before your ship breaks), you will keep all your items and avoid death, at the cost of full wetness.

6 hours ago, X-lem said:

What do you mean the items remain with the ghost? The first time I died I lost all my items in the water.

When you drown, currently any items in your inventory will stay in your inventory when you revive.

1 hour ago, Daxterr said:

How is it that walking the plank guarentees safety, but falling in the water is certain death? Makes no sense =/

Probably an anti greifing mechanic, or last chance thing. 

You can walk the plank to return to the main land quickly, while losing your boat.
What if you have an amulet on main land but you sink in the middle of nowhere?
Only idea.

Anti grief mechanic? Like someone tries to crash the ship and kill the players on it? LOL. I'm sorry to say, but that would be hilarious.  Especially because of how slow the boats go.

Or PVP wise, I'm only throwing out ideas, and that second point still stands.

We had some serious fun throwing some PVP into the mix, sure, they're slow, but when you've got endless wood, sleepsacks, and all that mess, you can have some pretty good laughs, and in the end, make it back safely.

Anti grief mechanic? Like someone tries to crash the ship and kill the players on it? LOL. I'm sorry to say, but that would be hilarious.  Especially because of how slow the boats go.

Their own boat would be equally damaged, so they’d die too. Not that most griefers care about that.

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Their own boat would be equally damaged, so they’d die too. Not that most griefers care about that.

I was imagining they'd be on the same boat, and the griefer would take the steering wheel and crash it.

Just now, Daxterr said:

I was imagining they'd be on the same boat, and the griefer would take the steering wheel and crash it.

Either way! There’s a long-standing maritime tradition where you always ask the captain of a ship for permission to come aboard. It would be cool if DST had this and whoever made the boat had to approve all passengers before they could jump on. As it is, anyone close enough can board at will. 

You could prevent this by not releasing the steering wheel until you’re ready to disembark. The griefer could destroy the boat, but not kill the player.

3 hours ago, Ressayez said:

You should really cut the attempts at quirkiness when making a poll. It's annoying to not be able to just plainly answer "yes" or "no" and always be stuck instead with "NUUU, NOT MY BOAT ;_;"

EDIT: I've had a little time to think, so I'm going to try this out again.

Personally, I think you could of really worded this a lot better. Trying to get a point across with things like "attempts at quirkiness" is a terrible way to go about things. I get you're frustrated, but come on man. Let's not be like this.

I understand you might not agree 100% with what the actual poll answer has to say, but that's where you can come down and reply with your argument. This thread is here to get people's thoughts, after all.

If you thought I poorly represented your choice, which I kinda agree on in retrospection, then I'd much rather prefer you bring that up instead of saying quirkiness is the issue. 

On 5/21/2019 at 4:05 AM, -Variant said:

When you drown, currently any items in your inventory will stay in your inventory when you revive.

Ya I don't think you should retain your inventory. It should all be lost. That's the risk of taking a boat. Also it's not that difficult to fix your boat and make patches. If you're a bad driver/to lazy to make patches and fix your boat... 

Archived