In defense of Bernie

Migrating from Willow's update page

TBH I'm really torn to ask for Willow to be fire immune and come back to the good old days or to maybe embrace something new..

Fire Immunity is catching up a lot of attention, but Bernie not so much.

as we can see in this list here compiled by @Chris1448 there are some uses for fire immunity indeed..

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/105367-willow-refresh-info-and-roadmap-schedule-update/?do=findComment&comment=1185030

List of what Willow can benefit from with 100% fire immunity:

- Fight burning mobs with no trouble

- Capitalize on sanity and warmth from standing on top of fires, especially in Winter

- Extremely helpful in the Dragonfly fight when dealing with Enraged DF and Lavae

- Be able to stand on top of DF's Lava Pools and use them as simple campfires

- Wall in mobs and fight within a ring of fire (@Fidooop)

- Ignore the burn of Klaus' Red Deer attack (@Papa Zach)

but all these instances are very niche things (Dfly and Fire No Eyed Deer).. the most beneficial effects will be seen in winter and after that there isn't really anything

fighting burning mobs isn't really a bit deal for her either for her 3 seconds fire immunity and it won't with her improved 6 seconds immunity

standing on top of fires should would be able to do anyways with the buff to 6 seconds fire immunity.. just not as long as if immune.. 

she could be closer to lava pools as any character can.. she can stand a bit longer now  and closer (improved overheating too with update)

the fire no eyed deer can be mitigated with an ice staff... so this is really not that relevant IMO

Dfly... I mean I never bother to fight the larvae.. they are kinda irrelevant if you build a wall or wall off an arena or the lava pools...

and you can put Dfly to sleep when she enrages.. so again this isn't really that beneficial 

-------------------------

NOW, Bernie:

He will be much more useful in everyday situations regardless of fire. I think they are pretty much basing Bernie with some Forge elements. He is pretty much gonna work as a Bodyguard aggroing mobs.. not only shadows and attacking them as well

• Bernie grows big and will taunt and fight most hostile creatures when Willow is nearby and insane.

I believe this is a great idea that can make Willow independent.. she probably can now help with some spider farming too.. and in general much more useful in everyday survival

for the cold winter days she won't be needing to be fire immune standing on top of fires or lava pools to stay warm...  or gain sanity...

Bernie can now be equipped by Willow for sanity and warmth at the cost of durability.

This could pretty much compensate the use or winter hats and kinda outclasses fire immunity for winter times IMO... thermal + bernie new willow winter meta

As much as I would enjoy fire immunity I realize that having a bodyguard Bernie might be a good change into another direction... he could probably be useful in the caves taunting shadow monkeys for farming too.. dunno Bernie stats to assert this at the moment.. Just throwing some ideas..

So,,, maybe asking for fire immunity is just resistance to change the focus to something else entirely that has more than very few niche benefits like fire has?

3 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Hopefully Bernie got a decent buff. It’s hard to tell how much he’s been buffed from the limited information we’ve got.

yeap.. maybe we can get some info here 

@JoeW can u pls reveal a bit of Bernie stats? that might be helpful pls :)

and can u pls clarify if this means BOTH near and insane OR either near or insane

Bernie grows big and will taunt and fight most hostile creatures when Willow is nearby and insane.

15 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Hopefully Bernie got a decent buff. It’s hard to tell how much he’s been buffed from the limited information we’ve got.

yeap.. I hope Joe can come back to us with a bit of info...

the willow's update thread is so bloated dunno if he can catch a break

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

yeap.. I hope Joe can come back to us with a bit of info...

the willow's update thread is so bloated dunno if he can catch a break

Exactly my thoughts, I wanted to contribute a little more myself but posts are just coming in so fast and a lot of good points have already been touched on.

I think that the best thing we can do now is to just wait and see.

17 minutes ago, Geeris said:

I'm anxious to hear I will always love you in Willow's voice.

the-bernieguard.png.90f4f217ac3478f0a71a7d76764a05b9.png

Pls post in meme section

Share the joy

12 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

Exactly my thoughts, I wanted to contribute a little more myself but posts are just coming in so fast and a lot of good points have already been touched on.

I think that the best thing we can do now is to just wait and see.

If u have some ideas you could share them here anyways... :)

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

If u have some ideas you could share them here anyways... :)

Well, if we're talking about Bernie specifically I think that the idea of him being able to draw aggro and tank all kinds of hostile mobs, not just shadows, isn't a bad idea at all. I'm kind of adverse to it only working when she's low on sanity though since it seems that as of right now being insane offers more benefits than downsides. Maybe as a trade off for working regardless of sanity they remove Bernie's would-be ability to fight back? That could easily be too exploitable though since all you need to heal him is a sewing kit.

2 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

Well, if we're talking about Bernie specifically I think that the idea of him being able to draw aggro and tank all kinds of hostile mobs, not just shadows, isn't a bad idea at all. I'm kind of adverse to it only working when she's low on sanity though since it seems that as of right now being insane offers more benefits than downsides. Maybe as a trade off for working regardless of sanity they remove Bernie's would-be ability to fight back? That could easily be too exploitable though since all you need to heal him is a sewing kit.

I wouldn't really want to make him not fight.. I think that's an interesting idea

On the sanity.. I also hope the devs can work a bit around it.. I mean not like expecting her to be always fully insane.. The issue is her sanity pool is small.. So u really have to keep lowering you sanity constantly.. 

That's an important issue.. No doubt 

Rn I don't have many ideas on how to ask for a good balanced idea.. But Ty for bringing that up.. 

Maybe the other have some nice ideas about it 

21 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I wouldn't really want to make him not fight.. I think that's an interesting idea

On the sanity.. I also hope the devs can work a bit around it.. I mean not like expecting her to be always fully insane.. The issue is her sanity pool is small.. So u really have to keep lowering you sanity constantly.. 

That's an important issue.. No doubt 

Rn I don't have many ideas on how to ask for a good balanced idea.. But Ty for bringing that up.. 

Maybe the other have some nice ideas about it 

Yeah, maybe I'm just afraid of Bernie stepping on Abigail's toes as a powerful combat familiar. I feel like I've already shared most of what I think are my better Willow ideas and I don't want to annoy anyone by reposting them too much.

Overall, balancing things must be a really tricky thing so it wouldn't hurt if everyone would cut the developers a little more slack.

3 hours ago, Geeris said:

I'm anxious to hear I will always love you in Willow's voice.

the-bernieguard.png.90f4f217ac3478f0a71a7d76764a05b9.png

These need to be skins, for both of them.

Seriously, I need a Chad Bernie in a leather jacket beating the stuffing out of monsters and Shadows.

2 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Yeah, maybe I'm just afraid of Bernie stepping on Abigail's toes as a powerful combat familiar. I feel like I've already shared most of what I think are my better Willow ideas and I don't want to annoy anyone by reposting them too much.

Overall, balancing things must be a really tricky thing so it wouldn't hurt if everyone would cut the developers a little more slack.

I mean I myself was very like... Fire immunity or else.. Grrr.. xD..

But then I realized.. Hey.. This us actually cool... And yes it's a bit like Abi.. But not exactly the same... We will have to wait and see

Not all my dude, I think you brought up an important point. :)

Keep them comming

So this is a comprehensive list with the questions that are relevant for Bernie that materialized a bit better in conversation with @Casm over in the Willow's update post. And since it's relevant I'm including it here too. 

How much:

HP, Dmg, HP regen, sanity threshold to spawn and grow bigger, natural armor, taunting level does Bernie have? 

Is it possible to make Bernie grow without being full insane or how low must sanity levels be to make Bernie grow big? Are there any other alternatives as always being insane to make Bernie grow big? 

Edit. 

Can we bundle wrap bernies?

4 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I feel like i am in a court drama.

''Bernie is bad because he will be able to be a day 1 tam o shanter!''

''Having an tam freely is worse than catapults? NO!''

a court drama where nobody but the jury knows what the law actually says, and does not bother to tell anybody.

12 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I mean I myself was very like... Fire immunity or else.. Grrr.. xD..

But then I realized.. Hey.. This us actually cool... And yes it's a bit like Abi.. But not exactly the same... We will have to wait and see

Not all my dude, I think you brought up an important point. :)

Keep them comming

Yeah, we don't exactly know what the new Bernie will be like at all. I was just thinking that it'd be a really nice contrast for Bernie to be this high health purely defensive tank meant to buy players time as opposed to Abigail being a threat in her own right with her aoe attack but also can't take as many hits. ^^

I don't mind Berny fighting creatures. It kinda makes Willow more like Wendy and Abigale. I would really like to see Willow recieve some abilities so she can fight with fire. She loves to burn things, one of the ways to accomplish this without making her a greifer is giving her ways to fight only mods with fire. Maybe she can craft a fire staff without the use of magic and can use fire staff a lot more affectively (and as a downside she refused to use the ice staff). Maybe liting mobs on fire does a lot more damage. Maybe let her craft some new fire weapon that doesn't exist yet.

15 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Well, one possible approach would be for Bernie to be a single-targeter while Abigail gets more focus on her AOE.

...Wendy herself has a ton of update potential revolving around revival/undeath, so I'm not too worried there.

Archived