A Winter's Tale Update Release Notes

Kevin

Seriously, with every passing update i am getting more frustrated reading the forums.....

Klei please stop releasing new futures and take the time every now and then to work on balancing the game as well as providing options for the various fan base.

All of the people that say "oh the game is still easy" well when the game was opened to the public was a casual survival adventure game, it no longer is....and those who have been playing it can not see it from the prospective of the new comers as well as the people who were not interested in this type of game and have decided to try it out.

Again Klei, who is your targeted audience?

And lastly i will add my previous suggestion post because i still think is a better progression system, if you conquer one world and are feeling comfortable; move on to the next...

"Hello again, JaBaR here with new personal thoughts on how progression should work. As Kevin stated "The world that you escape to is no harder than the first, but this will change Soon!" and I fully support the idea of it, as it will present different levels of challenge that should accommodate the various play styles of the all its fans. (well most)

First world I believe should be more of an initiation world, where is not as big and the resources are more limited to the basics for example: you only have flint available and very limited amount of gold and stone, no Pig King, not so many monsters like hounds per attack, lesser chance of getting tree guardians, birds are fewer, spider nests evolve slower, beefaloes procreate less and so on. Have relative abundance in food but no Crock Pot. In addition the first world should be limited in terms of items as well such as: the player can only craft one science machine and not acquire gold tools or darts or boomerang.

As progressing into the second world, next tier of resources such as gold and stone become more frequent and Pig King appears. The mob spawn and evolution/procreation increases by a fraction, food becomes more scarce but crock pot can be now crafted. The next tier in research unlocks where now the player can craft Alchemy Engine and receive all of its benefits for gold tools and weapons like darts boomerang and new weapon higher grade than the spear. Sanity meter would kick in leading to the unlock of a new slot for accessories. As the character is no longer a rookie in survival and the lack of social interaction starts to take its toll they would needs something to make them feel more human. New structures as wood floors and walls would become available to add to the combating of insanity.

Going into the third world a new research machine to be introduced that would allow the player to now craft multi-tools combining Luxury Axe + Opulent Pickaxe + Regal Shovel into a right click onto the respected resource to use type, as well as combining Pitchfork with Hammer to be left click dig - right click smash function with much increased durability. Mobs become more and easily agitated / agroed and hit harder, but new weapons are introduced. For example: spiked club made from log + hound teeth and a bow that uses twigs and silk to be crafted and arrows that require flint reeds and say turkey feathers. Making the bow not so imbalanced as arrows would be one time use like darts and turkeys are just a b^%ch to find and deal with. New armor with higher durability made from flint and silk (like scale armor) and new helmet that would be crafted from leather that is dropped by beefaloes and pigs but have to process it at the fire to make it tougher. As food becomes even harder to come by (mainly grown food) Crock Pot receives new recipe for processing food like meet jerky and dried veggies that last longer.

Well you get the idea."

It was never meant to be a casual survival sandbox game, holy crap, how can you be so misguided?Its been advertised from the get go as a UNCOMPROMISING SURVIVAL game. The fact that you used casual, survival, and sand box all in one my sentence almost knocked me out of my chair, that's insane, that sentence is an oxymoron .Please look up both words, uncompromising and survival. Its right on the front of the website, its in the description! it screams uncompromising survival at every turn!

"Hello again, JaBaR here with new personal thoughts on how progression should work. As Kevin stated "The world that you escape to is no harder than the first, but this will change Soon!" and I fully support the idea of it, as it will present different levels of challenge that should accommodate the various play styles of the all its fans. (well most)

First world I believe should be more of an initiation world, where is not as big and the resources are more limited to the basics for example: you only have flint available and very limited amount of gold and stone, no Pig King, not so many monsters like hounds per attack, lesser chance of getting tree guardians, birds are fewer, spider nests evolve slower, beefaloes procreate less and so on. Have relative abundance in food but no Crock Pot. In addition the first world should be limited in terms of items as well such as: the player can only craft one science machine and not acquire gold tools or darts or boomerang.

As progressing into the second world, next tier of resources such as gold and stone become more frequent and Pig King appears. The mob spawn and evolution/procreation increases by a fraction, food becomes more scarce but crock pot can be now crafted. The next tier in research unlocks where now the player can craft Alchemy Engine and receive all of its benefits for gold tools and weapons like darts boomerang and new weapon higher grade than the spear. Sanity meter would kick in leading to the unlock of a new slot for accessories. As the character is no longer a rookie in survival and the lack of social interaction starts to take its toll they would needs something to make them feel more human. New structures as wood floors and walls would become available to add to the combating of insanity.

Going into the third world a new research machine to be introduced that would allow the player to now craft multi-tools combining Luxury Axe + Opulent Pickaxe + Regal Shovel into a right click onto the respected resource to use type, as well as combining Pitchfork with Hammer to be left click dig - right click smash function with much increased durability. Mobs become more and easily agitated / agroed and hit harder, but new weapons are introduced. For example: spiked club made from log + hound teeth and a bow that uses twigs and silk to be crafted and arrows that require flint reeds and say turkey feathers. Making the bow not so imbalanced as arrows would be one time use like darts and turkeys are just a b^%ch to find and deal with. New armor with higher durability made from flint and silk (like scale armor) and new helmet that would be crafted from leather that is dropped by beefaloes and pigs but have to process it at the fire to make it tougher. As food becomes even harder to come by (mainly grown food) Crock Pot receives new recipe for processing food like meet jerky and dried veggies that last longer.

Well you get the idea."

That would be stupid limiting players stuff based on world progression.

i really hope that after the game complete, and after six month update from the dev, the dev will release some kind of a code, or a script for those modder to make new things, character, and new monster, i really like the game, and i worry that the dev will leaved it and there's no more update. Please, sry about my english, i'm not good at it.

GamingGorman replies like yours are precisely why i started my previous post with that sentence, thank you for proving my point. Was the game so uncompromising when you started playing it? Compare it to now. Was I even addressing you or asking for your opinion? I was expressing mine. sirmentlegen "That would be stupid limiting players stuff based on world progression." Well sirmentlegen, is introducing new challenges and then means to confront them and then nerfing those means to the ground a better solution? Oh and if you missed the last couple updates Klei are already trying to introduce a gradual progression. Like I said before I believe that the problems the game currently faces are balancing issues and lack of customization to cater to the various players, constantly releasing new content is not going to change that.

It doesn't matter how the game was when I started, because it was an early beta and we are testers. Content isn't being released because whoopidity doo bop skippy. Its being released because the game is not finished. But the FACT is, not opinion, FACT. The game has always meant to be an uncompromising survival game, it wasn't when we started, but only because the game was and is still being developed.The game doesn't need to cater to everyone no more then a horror game should cater to people who don't like scary games.

sirmentlegen "That would be stupid limiting players stuff based on world progression." Well sirmentlegen, is introducing new challenges and then means to confront them and then nerfing those means to the ground a better solution? Oh and if you missed the last couple updates Klei are already trying to introduce a gradual progression. Like I said before I believe that the problems the game currently faces are balancing issues and lack of customization to cater to the various players, constantly releasing new content is not going to change that.

I know they want you to progress worlds but i am not saying that is a bad this i am agents limiting tech based on it, that would make world 1 the hardest world.

I think this argument of the genre of the game being one thing or another. So called 'casual' vs 'uncompromising" survival game. It doesn't serve us well to argue as to the way the game should be or shouldn't be, while the game itself is in the middle of development. Whether the game was intended to be one thing or another or the perception of genre was one thing to you and different to someone else. The way i see the game is the way it is at any given point. For example the game is significantly harder now than it was before. As the game becomes increasingly more complex it will begin to raise in difficulty. To define this game so strictly i think is restricting and counter productive to the process we are currently engaged in. The only people that can tell us how the game is meant to be are the people actually designed it. In my view our role is to provide feedback and suggestions to help the designers make more informed decisions that make sense for their game.It is my opinion that people should stop telling the Klei 'what they should do' and instead find a way to express their opinion without seeming entitled to any particular outcome. Maybe I'm wrong but alongside there being a really good and positive attitude there is this weird pessimistic vibe, where people are arguing over things and losing sight of what we are here for. Maybe thats just the internet.I'm apologize if I'm out of line, but i just had to get that off my chest and i didn't want to start a new thread or a fight about silly stuff. I'm probably just procrastinating about fighting the Deerclops.

Yeah I find it's strange too. Now the game is more exciting and you have everyday something to do.

Ive played through to Day 31 now on my first attempt. I actually recorded my full playthrough so i'll be posting that up as a walkthrough for people to learn and to give feedback on what i encountered during Winter. Winter started on Day 12 by the way. I can honestly say it feels more difficult but Winter is boring. I don't find stopping to stand by a fire for a few seconds difficult and almost freezing to death is easy to avoid if you have logs and grass at all times. It just becomes an annoyance really.

I found myself longing for normal days right up to Day 31 where i'd finally managed to find all the pieces of the Wooden Thing. Yes it really took that long! Before this update i could have all the pieces on Day 1.

I encountered the Deerclops on Day 22-24 a few times and tried to fight him once but i started fighting as soon as i could and it became dark before i could finish him. I guess you want us to fight him with a Mining Hat because his hp way too high. Add to that the fact you can only sneak in one attack without being hit and its a long, painful and mostly boring fight.

I'll give him another go next time Winter ends.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129908806

Overall i think this update is great but, Winter is boring and more tedious than challenging.

[MENTION=5853]Shin[/MENTION]: I personaly dont find it more exciting in winter, i think it is boring.

Xuhybrid pointed out the problem. Surviving is quite easy, but to survive you have to stay at a fire most of the time (when not having a Vest) and this so boring. The little things that you can do more in winter dont compensate it.

It is realy more a challenge with no food growing, and you can starve more easyly, but i never ever near starving.

I like it if the game is more challenging but this should not result in more boring game play, it should be result in more exciting game play

It would be nice if there is something like a moveable campfire, something that holds you warm for some time but dont emitting light, maybe something to wear or hold ih hand. just build from wood, gras or something. than exploring in winter could be more exiting and less boring :)

Changelist for the latest hotfix please klei? :)

Unless there was another hotfix…

OK, we've pushed a small hotfix to make the warriors not spew forth from every nest nearly all of the time.

[*]The warrior / worker ratios are back to where they were pre-patch

[*]The calculation for who to spawn takes living spiders who are away from the nest into account

[*]The regen time per-spider is higher (to work well with the increased number of hits that you have to land per spider)

We'll take a closer look at the warrior tracking system for the next actual update, but we didn't want to make a big system change for a hotfix.

Hope this helps!

I have a confession to make. I haven't played Don't Starve on a regular basis since around a week before the Insanity update came out. Not because I didn't like that update, because I did! Anyway, so far I'm loving the new Winter update and I'm playing the game a lot again.I hope you guys are not angry at poor ol' Tora. :3

WTF, what a ****storm O.OI just want the devs to know that they are doing a great job, no mather what some people say.I think everybody should play the game before complaining, for it seems to me a lot of people don´t. You want adjustable difficulty? Maybe you should look at the gamemode "Sandbox Custom", and there you´ll see (tadaaaaa) just that.I hope this was helpful, and for christ´s sake, calm down everyone =)

• Developer

We've just posted another hotfix!Please see this post for a status update on our game:http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?11215-Quick-status-updateAnd the end of this post for the changelist for the hotfix:http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?10872-A-Winter-s-Tale-Update-Release-Notes&p=94532&viewfull=1#post94532

[*]Werepigs kite like normal pigs

Features:

[*]Tent overhaul - acts as a multi-use bedroll (restores sanity, costs time and hunger)

[*]Bedroll has a normal hunger penalty, not a percentage

Oh no, they start fixing things now which worked so well for us.^^ Especially the bedroll change. No more cheating hunger eh?

Good good.