A Winter's Tale Update Release Notes

Kevin

Damn noob whining is gonna ruin the game. The update is good as it is still easy to survive if you use some strategies instead of running like stupid into a monster horde. It's a survival game and it needs to be challenging! I'm still doing very fine and have much more fun then before the update. Why do you have so many problems and must cry about everything after 10 minutes of gaming? Try to think about new strategies and not to to destroy them...

Now now, no need to act like an elitist and point fingers to players having more difficulty than you. This forum is for anyone who wants to voice their opinion, wether that is stating the game is too easy, hard or fine.

I used to play this game and I kind of liked it... I was having a hard time with it as a noob to this type of game but it was OK. Each new 'update' leaves me further and further in the dust to the point where I can NO LONGER play this game. It's gotten to the point where it's completely unplayable.I realise the hard core gamers and ppl used to this genre LOVE this game and so you, the developers, keep making it harder and harder for THEM. Although honestly, what's the point? They're mostly using strongman anyway so of COURSE it's easier... Not to mention they hole up in their camps and hoard food and supplies...so of COURSE it's boring and "too easy" for them.I can't even get to the girl after the fire girl so I have no hope of ever getting strongman and I like to explore... seems to be a HUGE mistake on this game to explore. God forbid you want to actually SEE the world you play in. No no, you developers have made SURE people like me get punished for wanting to "see the world."It's possible you guys want this game for hardcore members or hoarders or ppl who just want to sit in one place.But I guarantee your market will be TINY compared to what you COULD have if you let us noobs join in to this game. I found it entertaining albeit difficult. I love the retro graphics and animations though usually I hate that sort of thing. This game was something special but now you ruined it for me. I have NO HOPE of ever playing this game. Once I die in my current game, which my guess will be about three seconds after I log in again, I won't play again. Not while these updates are making it impossible for me and others like myself. Noobs with an interest.PLEASE, I beg you again, do not forget us!!

I'm not the only one who thinks like that. Here are a lot more people that are doing fine. But this complaining about every little bit is just stupid. I hope Klei will add the option to change the difficulty so that they can't cry about every change. That is my opinion and I think the update damn good.

I used to play this game and I kind of liked it... I was having a hard time with it as a noob to this type of game but it was OK. Each new 'update' leaves me further and further in the dust to the point where I can NO LONGER play this game. It's gotten to the point where it's completely unplayable.I realise the hard core gamers and ppl used to this genre LOVE this game and so you, the developers, keep making it harder and harder for THEM. Although honestly, what's the point? They're mostly using strongman anyway so of COURSE it's easier... Not to mention they hole up in their camps and hoard food and supplies...so of COURSE it's boring and "too easy" for them.I can't even get to the girl after the fire girl so I have no hope of ever getting strongman and I like to explore... seems to be a HUGE mistake on this game to explore. God forbid you want to actually SEE the world you play in. No no, you developers have made SURE people like me get punished for wanting to "see the world."It's possible you guys want this game for hardcore members or hoarders or ppl who just want to sit in one place.But I guarantee your market will be TINY compared to what you COULD have if you let us noobs join in to this game. I found it entertaining albeit difficult. I love the retro graphics and animations though usually I hate that sort of thing. This game was something special but now you ruined it for me. I have NO HOPE of ever playing this game. Once I die in my current game, which my guess will be about three seconds after I log in again, I won't play again. Not while these updates are making it impossible for me and others like myself. Noobs with an interest.PLEASE, I beg you again, do not forget us!!

Man, just because the game is getting harder and harder, this doesn´t mean they are blocking new players, everyone was new at the game onde day, and died tons of time before getting to day 10, me myself died 4 times before hit day 14, where I died for a Werewolf. But I didn´t get mad about the game, I learned more aabout it and made different strategies to survive. I understand the game is harder than ever, but dying is an important part of the game, and you should learn from your errors, like everyone did.

Man, just because the game is getting harder and harder, this doesn´t mean they are blocking new players, everyone was new at the game onde day, and died tons of time before getting to day 10, me myself died 4 times before hit day 14, where I died for a Werewolf. But I didn´t get mad about the game, I learned more aabout it and made different strategies to survive. I understand the game is harder than ever, but dying is an important part of the game, and you should learn from your errors, like everyone did.

You said everything that I just wanted to write down. :D Everyone can learn this game easily. There is no leveling up in the game, just learning from mistakes and do it better.

Third game from winter update: 1 - died at day 47 killed by Werepigs.2 - died at day 10 killed by Spiders.3 - Winter hat and breezy vest ready, full ice box of food, day 20 still alive.Using WX-78 in all games.

" I un-educationally gives an recommendation of how you should design your game.""Now even this sounds like bashing it really isn't"

You can't make a comment like that and then turn around and say that it's not a insult. It would be like if I said you were a inbred black facing idiot but it's ok because that's just what you are. Not that I'm saying you are such, just that your comment is back handed and your attempt to cover it up with your words is laughable.To answer your question though, I got the game close to when it was first released for the public to buy and I had a blast playing the game then. Btw it's 'rogue' not rouge like how you've been spelling it... rouge is red female cosmetics. The point is when we got the game it was actually fun and I played it a lot, same with my friends. Every updated that happened though just made all of us less interested in the game till the point I just can't find the point to log in. I'm not the only one either because if you look around you will see there are plenty of other people that feel the same, even more so with this latest patch, it's just that the hard core audience can't image the game being too easy / accessible to the every day gamer. I even said that someone like you would come up to defend the game without looking at it through our perspective. If the game is meant to be a rogue like game then they should just flat out say as much on the website so there is no misunderstanding. As it is now you only know that if you lurk on the forums and catch a dev post talking about it while anyone else that looks at the site wouldn't know as much and would get a game that they might not be interested in. There is nothing wrong with the game being rogue like if that's what it wants to be, but it should at least flat out say as much and no 'Uncompromising' isn't the same thing.

You can't make a comment like that and then turn around and say that it's not a insult. It would be like if I said you were a inbred black facing idiot but it's ok because that's just what you are. Not that I'm saying you are such, just that your comment is back handed and your attempt to cover it up with your words is laughable.

To answer your question though, I got the game close to when it was first released for the public to buy and I had a blast playing the game then. Btw it's 'rogue' not rouge like how you've been spelling it... rouge is red female cosmetics. The point is when we got the game it was actually fun and I played it a lot, same with my friends. Every updated that happened though just made all of us less interested in the game till the point I just can't find the point to log in. I'm not the only one either because if you look around you will see there are plenty of other people that feel the same, even more so with this latest patch, it's just that the hard core audience can't image the game being too easy / accessible to the every day gamer. I even said that someone like you would come up to defend the game without looking at it through our perspective.

If the game is meant to be a rogue like game then they should just flat out say as much on the website so there is no misunderstanding. As it is now you only know that if you lurk on the forums and catch a dev post talking about it while anyone else that looks at the site wouldn't know as much and would get a game that they might not be interested in. There is nothing wrong with the game being rogue like if that's what it wants to be, but it should at least flat out say as much and no 'Uncompromising' isn't the same thing.

What does this mean to you:

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world.

I did die a bunch of times too, I'm not complaining that I die. I'm saying it's too EASY to die. And I hate getting punished for exploring! If by strategy you mean hole up somewhere and hoard food and supplies, sure, I can do that... it's called FARMVILLE on facebook. No need to go to this game for that kind of game. This game was supposed to be different than farmville or the type of games where you do nothing but sit in one spot. Hell, even the sims can be seen as 'that type of game' and I love the sims, that's why I bought THOSE games. I wanted an adventure game that isn't about who can die the fastest, that, to me is stupid.

I did die a bunch of times too, I'm not complaining that I die. I'm saying it's too EASY to die. And I hate getting punished for exploring! If by strategy you mean hole up somewhere and hoard food and supplies, sure, I can do that... it's called FARMVILLE on facebook. No need to go to this game for that kind of game. This game was supposed to be different than farmville or the type of games where you do nothing but sit in one spot. Hell, even the sims can be seen as 'that type of game' and I love the sims, that's why I bought THOSE games. I wanted an adventure game that isn't about who can die the fastest, that, to me is stupid.

I think you don't get the idea of this game. It's not who can die the fastest, it's who can survive the longest.

Go there and see how to play. I don't know what you do to die while exploring. http://www.twitch.tv/riptidepow/new

What does this mean to you:

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world.

Not to get into the panties of you and Foxbrook but I wanted to note that to me, that description doesn't say "You will die in three seconds." It says it's a survival game, kind of like the game "survival" that was out a long time ago. You gather supplies, stay away from enemies, kill some for fur or whatever. Uncompromising just means you will see stuff everywhere and it re-spawns... maybe I thought it was kind of like the "Lost in Blue" series. I loved those games too!

So no, this game ended up being like Pac Man only you get no super dots... And while some people, myself included, did really well at Pac Man, I wasn't looking for this kind of game either.

If you read my post, you can see I'm not used to this genre nor a game where your strategy is to see the fastest way to die. That's why this game keeps getting worse and worse for me. It's getting to the point where it's not worth it. I can go to WoW not fight back and die there if I wanted to do that... it's be more fun too because at least there's funky animations at times... I was expecting a a game where you actually had a shot to survive.

But back to your post, by THAT description you posted... this game is misleading and deceptive. They should put in the description "DS is a game where you will be tested by nature to survive and you WILL die. The question is, how long?" That'd be a better description for the game BEFORE you buy it. Otherwise it's a bait and switch.

You can't make a comment like that and then turn around and say that it's not a insult. It would be like if I said you were a inbred black facing idiot but it's ok because that's just what you are. Not that I'm saying you are such, just that your comment is back handed and your attempt to cover it up with your words is laughable.

Bashing someone is repeatedly insulting or "bashing" ( the use of negative feedback ) insulting someone in a short time frame, yes I was throwing a rather ( if you ask me ) mild insult at you, though it's true, you aren't educated in the art of game design are you? So for your statement to be anything else than un-educational is illogical. But the point of the topic wasn't to bash you, but yes I was basically insulting you, I'm not denying that. But you are misinterpreting it completely.

Btw it's 'rogue' not rouge like how you've been spelling it... rouge is red female cosmetics.

Ah, passive aggressiveness in it's truest form. There is no need to scrape together any "argumentation-points", certainly not with this, it isn't a competition. For future references though I do know the difference between rouge and rogue, though me misspelling doesn't make my point any less valid. But whatever floats your boat I guess...

If the game is meant to be a rogue like game then they should just flat out say as much on the website so there is no misunderstanding. As it is now you only know that if you lurk on the forums and catch a dev post talking about it while anyone else that looks at the site wouldn't know as much and would get a game that they might not be interested in. There is nothing wrong with the game being rogue like if that's what it wants to be, but it should at least flat out say as much and no 'Uncompromising' isn't the same thing.

While I can agree with you that they are a bit vague of where the game is heading. Though IMHO, one should research a product before buying it more than just watching TotalBiscuit-videos and front-page text, not that it's your case but you know what I'm saying.Now you really didn't answer my question, what did you think when you heard about UNCOMPROMISING SURVIVAL and presumably later down the road "Roguelike(like)"?

I think you don't get the idea of this game. It's not who can die the fastest, it's who can survive the longest.

It STARTED out that way... I do get the nature of the game... What I'm saying is that NOW it's to the point where it IS "who dies the fastest."

- - - Updated - - -

Go there and see how to play. I don't know what you do to die while exploring.

http://www.twitch.tv/riptidepow/new

No fast forward button, bummer... but so far, I have NOT seen you move from your spot...

It STARTED out that way... I do get the nature of the game... What I'm saying is that NOW it's to the point where it IS "who dies the fastest."

- - - Updated - - -

No fast forward button, bummer... but so far, I have NOT seen you move from your spot...

But it's not like that. With the right strategy you can survive like forever.

What are your problems in the game? I'm sure there are some good strategies to survive that.

I can't move, I don't see the whole problem with the new update. People liked game more without half of its features, I find this very strange, cause back then there was nothing to do after day 20.

I can't move, I don't see the whole problem with the new update. People liked game more without half of its features, I find this very strange, cause back then there was nothing to do after day 20.

Well, Q... if you DON'T move, as you stated, of COURSE it will be boring after day 20 hell the (* o!!

Yeah I find it's strange too. Now the game is more exciting and you have everyday something to do.

Well, Q... if you DON'T move, as you stated, of COURSE it will be boring after day 20 hell the (* o!!

Anyway, I said exploring as in the whole map not just your immediate area...You CAN move. There are other places on the map you know... cross bridges, stuff like that? Go away from your camp and re do another camp somewhere else...

I kind of want to retract and sculpt my prior opinion from before, adding something to itThe winter update is still great with the new mobs and whatnot, just I find it a bit tediously painful knowing there are more spider warriors in dens at quicker cycling tiers, AND weapons do less damage. Seems a bit of a pain to want to try and collect silk knowing my weapons don't do as much damange- and I'm not even using any of the latest, I go challenge for a spear use. Try going for a controlled burn to an area, collecting the coal, and replanting where the terrain were open AND remove all the spiders laying about from their once planted den homes. To me, its not fun anymore when mobs are stronger and faster, or should I say that weapons do less damage and they are stronger, and that food helps less and less. I get the element of making food a challenge to find and it shouldn't be relied on too heavily, but when it helps less and spoils faster, it feels like I'm going to end up starving before I can manage to cook enough, either from crock pot or campfire, to have a decent amount of hunger, health, and sanity.It just feels unbalanced if the mobs are stronger and we become more weaker because food helps less and less, and weapons/defenses become crappier. I don't mind the elements or mobs being more or a challenge, but I still want the food and weapon/defense aspect to be un nerfed. There's a difference between a challenge of taking longer to get things done while surviving and being completely screwed because mobs are OP and we don't have much to help ourselves stabilize. If the food/weapons/defenses were un nerfed/untuned I'd be okay, but I feel like no matter what other strategy I pick or create to either fight, or even try to run away and try and make enough food to get my hunger,HP, and sanity to at least halfway I'm going to end up dead again and again because it feels like its not enough, even with a turbo farm or two and a beebox. Things seem to end up spoiling before I can manage to get enough together to bring HP,Hunger, sanity up to par.To me, looking at this angle regarding food helping less and spoiling sooner, it gives the definition to "Don't Starve" and feeling like I can't get enough food before it spoils to survive makes me want to not play the game, and believe me, I used to love playing this game, I'd spend quite a sum of hours playing, my record is 147.1 hours, but now it feels difficult to want to play when everything seems like its not good enough to survive. I'd rather not spend my hours on this game simply running around trying to collect enough food without it all spoiling and avoid all mobs at all costs; I don't mind going for a collection run every now and again, just not on a constant daily basis and thats how I feel its become :LI'm just glad I was able to completely explore my map before the update, I love mapping out the world I find in exploration; and I take my sweet time when it comes to exploration, I would have been more irritated to not be able to wander and explore after update; I'd either end up a seed and morsel hoarder, and there's no need to depend like that on a game.Simple suggestion if mods don't want to have to constantly tweek these things, put 'em in an optional difficulty setting, "normal, Medium, hard, & extreme". Skip easy, nothing in life comes easy, maybe lucky, but not easy. Take these extra spider warriors in first tier from the update and put them in hard; for further kicks, an all warrior spider den for extreme- HAH! How bout that part for the extremist Don't Starve Fans, I'm sure they will giggle at that notion. It's not considered normal, even in survival means, for food to spoil so quickly, even with an icebox, or weapons to be of weaker uses against mobs. I like a challenge in the games I play, however, I do not like when they become too much of a problem to want to deal with and become too OPSide note: is it just me or is wearing a top hat not helping raise sanity at night and day? Even next to a campfire, niente.

Edited by Lady Tyrantess

HeheheExploring is fun, back then I had whole map explored by day 25 -30 if I wanted. Sitting in base is boring. Now you can't explore whole map that fast, you need to make a base and gather stuff for winter. During winter you can do some exploring, but it is dangerous. Game changed from free roam to get ready for winter. 20 days is enough time to set a base and get everything you need to survive winter. It's not free roam the map, its get what you need to survive, exploring is slower now, but I can have whole map explored by day 50 -60. Its more about survival now.

To Mr Q:The dude playing is pretty much staying in his immediate area... Yeah, I have farmville for that type of game. You just proved my point. Thanks!

He is staying there to get everything that is needed for further exploration.