A Winter's Tale Update Release Notes

Kevin

Likes:-The different lengths of day/night/dusk cycles depending on season. Makes it easier/quicker to build up at the start when the night is so short.-Daylight no longer regens Sanity. So I actually have to watch that a little bit. Though it'll be even more interesting later in the game, since you said it was rebalanced to be easier in the early game and get harder as the game progressed, yet even in the early game it was dropping noticeably quicker than in the previous version.Dislikes:-The giant text on the clock in Adventure Mode. It makes it harder to see the actual clock. The small level text from before was better. Or if I'm completely imagining that the text used to be smaller, then... The text needs to be smaller, as it takes up the whole clock now.-Whatever you changed with the world generator. Now I'm getting a lot fewer "pure" biomes, and more of a patchwork of lands. Which might be more realistic, but it doesn't look as good. Also I'm getting a more islandy map than the solid landmass of the previous patches. It's not to the point of the old islands, but my map has a lot more of a spiky peninsula design with little inclosed "ocean pools" than before.Neutral: -Armour and player damage changes. My last game I was playing as Wolfgang, so maybe I just got used to his bonus damage, but this game as Wilson it's taking forever to kill anything. With a spear it's taking me 4 or 5 hits to kill a black spider. With how quick they spawn, and how many come out of a nest when you attack it, this seems a bit weak. Coupled with the weak armour changes, and the increase in Warrior Spiders... it seems like it's going to be almost impossible to take out a spider nest (not to mention other large creatures) without relying on a pig army or fire.It does increase the difficulty, but I don't like needing pigs to help take out a level 1 spider nest, and having to build a new log suit after every other battle. I'll have to play with it more to get a better feel for it though.Bug?:-Chester disappeared. His eye bone is still open, which means he's not dead (right?), but one night he just vanished and hasn't shown up again. Which is annoying since he had a stack of stone I needed.-Black roads? Are these a new type of road tile, or a malfunctioning art asset? They give a speed buff like a road, but I find them ugly and not very roady looking. Plus they look weird on the map.---I haven't made it to Winter yet, since just like last time my save game was "deleted" when I updated to the new version. But so far I'm enjoying the patch, though I'm not liking my newly generated world as much as my old one (but that's just the randomness, and nothing to do with the update). There is definitely more of a challenge in some aspects of the game (combat, sanity), and less on others (food) -- for example my map has so many berry bushes and carrots; I'm not sure if this is a random map generating thing, or if something was changed in the code, but I stopped collecting them because they were spoiling faster than I could eat them -- it'll be interesting to see how the changes effect the mid-game once I reach a Winter cycle.

Things seem to be moving a tad fast. Might I suggest you offer the ability to dial back to previous sandbox settings, that way more people can enjoy the game?The reason being that I was in a sandbox save and suddenly most everything I'd planned became an untenable situation. As such, replayability has taken a big hit as far as I'm concerned.I've not even seen all the content from the first update and it's looking like I'm not going to see much more given that survivability is becoming something of a moot point.I was actually enjoying myself previously: in one game, on day 118 when I got jumped by a pack of at least 10 hounds/fire hounds I didn't mind dying at that time. Future game play looks to be frustrating at best. :chargrined:Anyway, that's my take on the present incarnation. At present I'm staring down the barrel of 4 spider queens and double digits and more of attendant spiders... :disgust:Maybe a little more flexibility in the world set up might be something worth looking into?Mr. Tattoohead

I'm really loving the update. Congratulations for all the crew.I wasn't expecting much for the update. I was with Insanity and got a little disappointed, but this one seems to be awesome. I've died in my older world just to confirm if Woodie was implemented or not (we never know :D) but Kevin wasn't fooling around about no new character in this update. Kinda sad, I really want to play him but I can wait.This update really added a good amount of challenge to the game. Those who are playing in the old maps might not notice due the resources stocked, but creating a new world is pretty fun with this update.The poor kiting of the pigs add a lot to the fighting, and they hit pretty hard now. I like it alot (:Just one thing bugs me out: The old problem of items falling into the ocean still happens when you kill a pig by the corner of the map. Rocks and trees do not have this problem, but it happened a few times with me while killing a few pigs. It may happen with other mobs too but I'm not sure.Anyway, I'm just at day 24 now, so I did not have enough time to test all the winter stuff, but so far it's awesome.Congratulations one more time.

Wait wait wait... so you say "stock up food for the winter" and then "Spoilage is a bit faster in general" and then you nerf the healing values and introduce more difficult monsters? How does that makes sense? Shouldn't food last longer in cold weather?Sanity drops faster near monsters and at chunks at night, weak damage output and weaker armor - why don't you just make monsters invincible if we have to put so much effort and preparation to deal with them at this point. Now we have the options to either make a super easy for veterans map that will be bored of, or frustratingly "spend the majority of your time at camp to add days to your calendar" option. As i said before you guys are turning this game into a second "sit at camp and juggle the same routines to survive" job, rather the fun and challenging adventure then game used to be.How long is it going to be before the screen is covered in meters?I'm sorry, don't get me wrong I still love the game but i want to have fun and enjoyable adventure playing the game when i come home from work, not have a second job, and with every update the game is heading that way.If you want to make the game feel like there is a threat lurking around the corner stop buffing everything and don't provide as many tool to deal with the threats.Ps. Never used a flute, never found a need, can't understand the fuss :/

Edited by JaBaR

• Developer

Just pushed another very small hotfix:Pigs forget their targets after a while (they were accidentally perma-angry)The sanity arrow shows up when you are wearing the garlandPossible fix for the riptide stream crash

How about NO? Instead of nerfing the hell out of everything for those damn whiners that complain the game is too easy you should of added in a "Difficulty option" to the custom sandbox mode. This allows all those that complain about the game's difficulty to change it how they want.Normal(before winter update), Medium, Hard(winter update), and Insane(harder than winter update). Giving people a choice on their poison will greatly improve this game.As for the mandrake... meh. Haven't gotten far enough to justify using it. I do feel it's strange that you'd need mandrake to make a pipe flute. I mean do you boil the mandrake with the pipes so it soaks up the mandrake's magical properties? Grind the mandrake into a powder then line the insides of the pipes with it? I think it'd be better if you just made it as before, but add in a chance of failure for the pipes. Instead of 100% chance of putting everything to sleep it'd be like 30-40%.

Bug Report - Started a new world on custom sandbox max on food and only winter. As the first night fell and i died from the grew the screen menu was not interactive (where it shows days survived and level progress) so the game continued to cycle on the background but no option to close game or do anything at this point.Food is in ridiculous quantities (barres and carrots) so nobody can complain that they have it hard choosing to play that :)

So I have finally gotten a chance to play the update. I went straight for the customizable sandbox and love that I can adjust the food, length of day/night, and season. I like that the spider nest have more spiders (I just burn them out anyway). I noticed that the Garlands don't "do" anything now. When the hounds come, you can't distract them with meat.. they come right for you, so with the logsuit being less effective, if you get three or four of them you're through with out the tentacle spike. Are the mosquitoes even good for anything? Other than being annoying and making it hard to fish? No roads makes travel and exploration tedious, though my new trick is to just leave more stone fire-pits. Still getting a feel for it. I found it hard before...

Just started a new game, huge starting biome, with plenty of resources. No roads at all, or even "paths" that I've heard about. There was a savanah biome, but it had no beefalos in it at all, just jackalopes, and grass. Can't find the pigs anywhere either. And I haven't found any wormholes. This update seems lonely.