A Winter's Tale Update Release Notes

Kevin

It's very hard to make a game that everyone will like. I don't know if this game is easy or hard right now. Beside all of this Klei is watching streams, and reads forums and continue to add things to the game, this winter update is only half of winter stuff.

The solution to the problem is easy. Klei just need to add an option to change the difficulty, so that noobs and pros can enjoy the game like they want.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with Shin here. Give us noobs a chance to learn easier. Then move on to "rogue" as I'm understanding from Foxbrook and Moonkiss' conversation... I think that was their names... Anyway my understanding, rogue means super hard.

HeheheExploring is fun, back then I had whole map explored by day 25 -30 if I wanted. Sitting in base is boring. Now you can't explore whole map that fast, you need to make a base and gather stuff for winter. During winter you can do some exploring, but it is dangerous. Game changed from free roam to get ready for winter. 20 days is enough time to set a base and get everything you need to survive winter. It's not free roam the map, its get what you need to survive, exploring is slower now, but I can have whole map explored by day 50 -60. Its more about survival now.

Well, that's what I mean, you're saying exactly what I'm saying. BEFORE it used to be free roam, difficult but not horrid. Now I can't even hope to explore because chances are, winter will kill me. My weapons will do less damage, I starve faster, and well it's gone insane.

It's very hard to make a game that everyone will like. I don't know if this game is easy or hard right now. Beside all of this Klei is watching streams, and reads forums and continue to add things to the game, this winter update is only half of winter stuff.

But with the option to change monster-health, damage etc. everyone could make their own difficulty. Personaly I think it is still too easy, but that's just my opinion. I just want to find a way to stop the crying and that the game won't get destroyed for players who like it difficult.

And remember: This is a beta.First it's very easy and then they increase the difficulty. As a beta tester you must do everything to be successful. Even exploit the game mechanics (for example pig stunlock) so that they can see what they need to fix. Do everything to beat this game and don't cry about it. Learn the game and get used to it.

But with the option to change monster-health, damage etc. everyone could make their own difficulty. Personaly I think it is still too easy, but that's just my opinion. I just want to find a way to stop the crying and that the game won't get destroyed for players who like it difficult.

I agree with Shin here too. I don't want to kill the game for all you hard corers. I just want to be able to enjoy it too at the kiddie land playland until I get as good as you guys.

And remember: This is a beta.First it's very easy and then they increase the difficulty. As a beta tester you must do everything to be successful. Even exploit the game mechanics (for example pig stunlock) so that they can see what they need to fix. Do everything to beat this game and don't cry about it. Learn the game and get used to it.

Remember, this is in the general discussion and people are giving their opinions based on their experiences. Not everyone "Cries about it". Some like all of the updates, some not so much. As I noted before, the game will probably have more changes, and for now, people will talk about what they experience as of the moment it happens.Pretty sure most of us keeping tabs on the game would appreciate if for the future the game implemented a difficulty option, either a set amount of difficulties, or perhaps one possibly customizeble, but I'd recommend the customization would depend on the difficulty, no need for someone to pick a hard difficulty mode and customize it so there are near no challenges, cheap way to say they "have it easy in hard mode" ya know what I mean? Edited by Lady Tyrantess

They could add some simple difficulty options but I hope they will not change any of the core elements that would affect every difficulty in the game and of course you can use the custom sandbox too

Yeah I hope that ,too. :/ But I think Klei find a good way. They always do. :D

Remember, this is in the general discussion and people are giving their opinions based on their experiences. Not everyone "Cries about it". Some like all of the updates, some not so much. As I noted before, the game will probably have more changes, and for now, people will talk about what they experience as of the moment it happens.Pretty sure most of us keeping tabs on the game would appreciate if for the future the game implemented a difficulty option, either a set amount of difficulties, or perhaps one possibly customizeble, but I'd recommend the customization would depend on the difficulty, no need for someone to pick a hard difficulty mode and customize it so there are near no challenges, cheap way to say they "have it easy in hard mode" ya know what I mean?

But sadly most players are complaining just in the beginning of the update... and thats kinda sad. I see what you mean. Maybe Klei is working right now on it with the custom-sandbox mode. There are some options that are now deactived (monsters, ressources etc.) I really hope that this will solve the problem.

But sadly most players are complaining just in the beginning of the update... and thats kinda sad. I see what you mean. Maybe Klei is working right now on it with the custom-sandbox mode. There are some options that are now deactived (monsters, ressources etc.) I really hope that this will solve the problem.

A lot of people will complain, some may praise, some even may remain neutral. This is kind of a given with any types of updates to a game. On my behalf, when I give an opinion, its more as constructive feedback based on my experience, as well as some minor opinion thoughts, then again, it's all considered feedback from everyone's experiences when they play with updates. Others may also be venting out their frustrations when they give their opinion. Klei may not be able to please everyone at the moment, however, for those who find it too easy, should try playing as the mime for now, I hear he is quite a challenge to manage! What I normally do, is wait a week, maybe week and a half or some cases 2 weeks after an update comes in to bypass wading through bugs glitches and other assorted changes, however this time I could hardly wait to see the winter update with MacTusk N' Son because it looked soo cool, (haven't run into them yet because I've been so preoccupied with trying to bulk up on food that spoils faster, all that other jazz I noted earlier) because its usually in the first week or so that bug fixes are always needed to be done first for flowing gameplay.Almost always with a game update, a bugs/glitches appears somewhere, as well as hotfixes too, I see it in other popular games that are still updating (Minecraft, WOW, LOL, exc...) maybe in a bit of time after all the bug fixes are fixed there will be some time to leveling out some problems people are having with the latest update? Afterall, it hasn't even been a full week yet, there's still time for Klei to tinker about with things and make adjustments to the gameplay, it seems like the game is ever growing. If people want to ventilate their experiences, let them and point no fingers at who is doing what wrong, I'm sure Klei values some of the feedback others give when they play with the updates, but yeah for now, it's still a fresh update, always room for adjustments later on after bugs have been fixed. Edited by Lady Tyrantess

What we really need is have an animated .gif of Wendy holding up a large sign with the following:

"Uncompromising - adjective:

1. not admitting of compromise or adjustment of differences; making no concessions; inaccessible to flexible bargaining; unyielding: an uncompromising attitude."

We can put this next to the "No multi-player" sign-holding Wilson, and we can insert the pair into all of our signatures for every update (and for three to four days afterwards).

I still say there's going to a "balance hotfix" tomorrow that rescinds some combination of the Winter spoilage, damage, sanity, or food value nerfs.

Beefalo are not spawning in my savannah biomes... making this really hard to prepare for winter.

Me too. In adventure mode I started a game and explored the entire World 1 and no Beefalos. No berry bushes either. I assumed this was a generation error so I deleted and re-generated a new world. I have run around a great deal but still no Beefalos in the fields and no berries in the forest. I am not sure if it is a bug or not... because maybe the lack of resources was implemented on purpose to propel a player forward...that is to motivate them to escape before they die. As of right now I rely on wild carrots and the occasional bird, and I am trying desperately to find a way out of World 1 hoping that World 2 might have better resources.

What might help is that I dont know where to look for the ACTUAL changelog. I ALWAYS read the release notes but they seem to constantly leave out some important detail...like "there will be no berry bushes in adventure mode so dont waste your first 20 days running around like an idiot looking for them...ditto on Beefalos". Or telling us the day length will be changing...was that stated anywhere. I asked this question once before, and If im being dense I apologize, but is there a clear changelog with every hotfix and update? Like a real one where every change is documented? Or do you guys (the developers) just make a post in between threads. What ever happened to the "announcements" section when you would post all the update stuff in there in its own thread??

Anyways as for the debate in here about difficulty.... all that I would like to say this is an awesome public forum dedicated to the development of this game, which is currently in BETA. That might sound totally obvious, but some people are becoming insulting to other posters, and i HATE the word "noob". EVERYONE IS A NOOB AT EVERY GAME AT LEAST ONCE. So its silly to speak down to people who you dont know because they are making suggestions directed towards the developers of the game on a PUBLIC BETA FORUM. This forum has so far been an overwhelmingly positive experience and I have seen forums that can go south and become downright hateful. So i urge everyone to make their statements and suggestions in a manner that is going to foster this community. because, after all, we all like the game, we are all playing, and contributing ideas, and this is a fun process in itself. When I was growing up I would have loved to put my two cents in about Kings Quest or Monkey Island.

I think the best solution is to do what many of the previous posters have suggested: simply add difficulty levels to adventure mode. And All types of gamers, those who have lots of time and those who have less time, can enjoy the game:) Also, remember that they added the word (TEST) right next to the adventure mode, and the developers seem so supportive of opinions and feedback here, so its just that...for us to TEST and tell them what we think :)

;)-Sara

Ive played through to Day 31 now on my first attempt. I actually recorded my full playthrough so i'll be posting that up as a walkthrough for people to learn and to give feedback on what i encountered during Winter. Winter started on Day 12 by the way. I can honestly say it feels more difficult but Winter is boring. I don't find stopping to stand by a fire for a few seconds difficult and almost freezing to death is easy to avoid if you have logs and grass at all times. It just becomes an annoyance really.I found myself longing for normal days right up to Day 31 where i'd finally managed to find all the pieces of the Wooden Thing. Yes it really took that long! Before this update i could have all the pieces on Day 1.

I encountered the Deerclops on Day 22-24 a few times and tried to fight him once but i started fighting as soon as i could and it became dark before i could finish him. I guess you want us to fight him with a Mining Hat because his hp way too high. Add to that the fact you can only sneak in one attack without being hit and its a long, painful and mostly boring fight.I'll give him another go next time Winter ends.http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=129908806
Overall i think this update is great but, Winter is boring and more tedious than challenging. Edited by Xuhybrid

Just realised I haven't seen a single tallbird in my past two worlds (from the Insanity update and the Winter update).

Yeah, Tallbirds have been going scarce nowadays, had just one of those buggers on my latest world (it was close to a "bunny-kingdom", so the Tallbird went rampage through there, leaving morsels for me to feast upon xD).

I'm very happy with the update. Died a couple minutes ago on day 61, the first time I died not on purpose since... before Krampus maybe? Something like that.I was hunting the winter Koalephant, being chased by two spider queens, nightime, and then... Hound fest.Got my *ss kicked by 6 hounds. Right after being murdered I realized that I should have used my fire darts.And that's why I'm so happy with the update. I need to learn how to deal with stuff that I was already used to and the new features.Before winter it was like playing farmville, now I really feel like playing a survival game.Thanks one more time, Klei!!!

I'm very happy with the update. Died a couple minutes ago on day 61, the first time I died not on purpose since... before Krampus maybe? Something like that.I was hunting the winter Koalephant, being chased by two spider queens, nightime, and then... Hound fest.Got my *ss kicked by 6 hounds. Right after being murdered I realized that I should have used my fire darts.And that's why I'm so happy with the update. I need to learn how to deal with stuff that I was already used to and the new features.Before winter it was like playing farmville, now I really feel like playing a survival game.Thanks one more time, Klei!!!

Wow something nice to say and i would say the same :D Great update! the game is coming together!