About the 2019 plan

15 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

It seems it'll be like ANR, where new simple content as in crafting items or mob drops will be added, but things like new biomes and lands are gonna need a new world, such as the Atrium.

Actually, all the content from ANR was able to be retrofitted into old worlds, even biomes like the oasis, the Atrium or Toadstool's holes. They usually didn't look like in new worlds and could appear in strange locations (my atrium was like 3-4 screens away from the nearest land), but they definitely were retrofitted.

2 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Actually, all the content from ANR was able to be retrofitted into old worlds, even biomes like the oasis, the Atrium or Toadstool's holes. They usually didn't look like in new worlds and could appear in strange locations (my atrium was like 3-4 screens away from the nearest land), but they definitely were retrofitted.

Were they now? That I do not remember, but if this is the case, then I say the upcoming content can slide in as well! How cool!

I’d much rather start a new world. It’s the funnest part of the game and if there’s enough new content, it’s going to change my basing strategy anyway. Once Oasis was added, it made sense to base there. In Hamlet, the addition of the Aporkalypse made a base on Herald Island the most appealing option. I like strategizing around the available resources, and retrofitting an old base to accommodate a lot of new content is a drag.

Well, I don't know about other people's experiences, but I can tell you at least two examples in my own playing where the A New Reign content was added to not only an existing world, but a LONG-existing world.  Like, it was up past Day 300 in one and around Day 500 or so in the other.  This is, of course, nowhere near any records, but it's plenty long enough that the world was good and thoroughly mapped already.

Okay, so, my first story is about my first pet. On my world with "Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave", when trying to figure out where to put the pet den, the game finally decided on...a far spot of the desert I didn't go to very often, as a suitable "rocky-ish blank area".  This resulted in my having to take a three-day journey* (during which autumn turned to winter) that also ended up involving dodging a lot of hounds AND the freaking Dragonfly, running out of the food I brought with me, and having to hunt along the way (I was playing Wigfrid) to get my first-ever in-game pet. 

...which actually just makes it all the cooler, really.  "I had to brave dark and cold and wolves and motherbeeping DRAGONS to reach you, kitty!" But I did it, and the Warrior and her Hunting Companion slept away a well-earned rest on a snowy night, eating cactus.  Except not me 'cos I was Wigfrid.  Anyway, that's one example of how the game stuck an A New Reign thing into a well-established world.

The other example I can think of right now is probably what caused the Oasis Catcoon--on my original March of Civilization server, the Antlion's desert was shoved in between the Bee Queen's field and a birch forest, and that's probably why the game went "Oh, there are birch trees at the oasis.  We know what goes with them!" and threw in a catcoon den.  (Why do so many of my stories involve kitties?  A better question is why don't YOURS?)  This has never happened with any oasis of mine since, so I gotta think it was an artifact of "Um, um, we gotta put this new desert somewhere...QUICK HERE'S A SPOT!  KINDA!"

So, yeah.

...Notorious

*Actually two journeys--the first time I found it by accident while just exploring the desert, and then to actually GET the kitty I had to go back on PURPOSE once I had a cat tail and some fishsticks on me.  :)

I'm playing DST with a group of 4 other people and as we're all busy, we can only play once a week. I'm not sure if the others would continue playing if we had to start again from scratch, even with new content. I'm sure there are many others in my situation with worlds in the hundreds or thousands of days that would find it very deflating to have to start again also. 

Unfortunately, retrofitting can only work so far. Imagine the difference between singleplayer Don't Starve basic, and Don't Starve:RoG. Could you just retrofit the RoG content into a base DS world? Not... really. You could have the world randomly spawn cacti, birchnuts, vultures, volt goats, glommer, and more in various places throughout the world, but it'd be a mess and you'd still be missing the actual biomes.

ANR's oasis was more or less a single setpiece, not a biome. Toadstool and bee queen are just a single entity. And the atrium isn't connected to anywhere else in the caves, so it's not too impossible to spawn an island in the void for it. But more extensive additions are... problematic.

12 minutes ago, DemonRebuilt said:

What gives me hope is the "travel to new lands with new biomes, creatures, and more" line. Almost implies that all of the new stuff is sectioned off in a new area, but who can say for sure.

I had someone in my comment's section state that it may be achieved through the ancient gateway.

After all, the teaser we got for the new content was a nightmare fuel leaking gateway.

EDIT: To be clear, as you said: it would likely be an area sectioned off similar to the atrium.

Honestly, Vanilla DS gets to keep their old world and move between the new and old. Why cant DST have it that way too? Ive worked hard for my 1400 days + world and to see it go is really making me bummed. I do always like starting new since its the fun part but to see all the past events and places ive built be thrown into oblivion is making me sad.I get you can keep it but yeah. And im happy for the new updates that'll come but will it mean new world every time? DST felt like a game you work on for a long while, not a quest clear and hit final boss bye bye kinda game.Why have year of the pig when it won't be part of the new world I'll have to make in march. 

Maybe it sounds like im being ungrateful or too hung up on it but i dont know, I'm really disheartened and honestly think why not just play DS. I am ever so grateful for updates and surprisingly don't mind the new paid characters but this aspect of the update makes me feel like DST wasnt really planned to be a game that expanded. 

Sorry if I rub some of you the wrong way. It's just how i feel.

I think the new crafting mechanic used on the celestial portal should also be used to create a plane and a ship.

Plane

Built using plane plans. Upon using the plans you get to decide where you will build the plane. Once you've decided, an interface much like the portal paraphenalia's would be revealed. To complete the plane you need 10 boards, 3 gears and 10 rope. Once completed you can "use" the plane. It will ask you if you want to go or wait for others. You can place 4 items inside the plane which will spawn around you after you crash. Go your character will fly the plane and the screen will fade to black. You will be sent to the connecting to server screen. After that your character will be seen crashing into Hamlet. They will do they "wake up" animation before assuming control. You're in Hamlet! Wait for others you will sit in the plane. As the pilot you can choose to Go or wait until everyone is inside the plane. To return to your world you have to create another plane OR build a ship to Shipwrecked.

Ship

Same as plane except you can only build the ship on water. Your character will sail the ship and fade to black. You will see your character's ship crash onto an island and "wake up". 4 items will drop around you. Welcome to Shipwrecked! To go back you can use another ship OR build a plane to Hamlet.

If you use a plane to go to Hamlet, no matter what you HAVE to use a plane to go to your world. If you want to go to Shipwrecked yet also want to go back to Hamlet, use ship. If you use a ship to Shipwrecked, you use a ship to go back. Use plane to go to Hamlet and go back to Shipwrecked. 

49 minutes ago, Booklover said:

I think the new crafting mechanic used on the celestial portal should also be used to create a plane and a ship.

Plane

Built using plane plans. Upon using the plans you get to decide where you will build the plane. Once you've decided, an interface much like the portal paraphenalia's would be revealed. To complete the plane you need 10 boards, 3 gears and 10 rope. Once completed you can "use" the plane. It will ask you if you want to go or wait for others. You can place 4 items inside the plane which will spawn around you after you crash. Go your character will fly the plane and the screen will fade to black. You will be sent to the connecting to server screen. After that your character will be seen crashing into Hamlet. They will do they "wake up" animation before assuming control. You're in Hamlet! Wait for others you will sit in the plane. As the pilot you can choose to Go or wait until everyone is inside the plane. To return to your world you have to create another plane OR build a ship to Shipwrecked.

Ship

Same as plane except you can only build the ship on water. Your character will sail the ship and fade to black. You will see your character's ship crash onto an island and "wake up". 4 items will drop around you. Welcome to Shipwrecked! To go back you can use another ship OR build a plane to Hamlet.

If you use a plane to go to Hamlet, no matter what you HAVE to use a plane to go to your world. If you want to go to Shipwrecked yet also want to go back to Hamlet, use ship. If you use a ship to Shipwrecked, you use a ship to go back. Use plane to go to Hamlet and go back to Shipwrecked. 

Original Lands.

Not DLC based.

Two different lands/maps apparently requires two server shards, like the caves, and that is a headache and more than many self-hosted servers can handle. In DS, where there’s only one player, only one map needs to be active at a time. With DST, which needs to be able to support two maps at the same time because there may be players in each one, it’s much more difficult. Three or more maps gets beyond what most people’s computers can do. As it is, if you rent a dedicated DST server and you want to have caves, you have to rent two servers to play one game.

...I know it'll irritate some, but personally I'm hoping that World Gen as a whole will be overhauled. Throw out the old and usher in the new.
The current world-gen has been hacked together from original DS, RoG, ANR additions, and the various changes necessary for multiplayer.
We could use a fresh, newly organized start at this point. Resources near like resources in appropriate biomes. A world that feels coherent, rather than the really big, varied Mosaic biome that makes up the current map.

Think of it like a work of art vs a picture of old TV static. We're like, dead in the middle of those two right now.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:02 AM, Rellimarual said:

Two different lands/maps apparently requires two server shards, like the caves, and that is a headache and more than many self-hosted servers can handle. In DS, where there’s only one player, only one map needs to be active at a time. With DST, which needs to be able to support two maps at the same time because there may be players in each one, it’s much more difficult. Three or more maps gets beyond what most people’s computers can do. As it is, if you rent a dedicated DST server and you want to have caves, you have to rent two servers to play one game.

I imagine that the third area would generate akin to the Atrium in the ruins - not a seperate shard, but rather seperated from the mainland in a preexisting shard. Except it would probably generate really far away from the Forest, to prevent people from using the orange staff to warp across.

The only problems with this is that people could still use the marble sculptures + gate method to get off of the land and then /rescue to teleport to the new areas, as well as potential memory issues with having an absolutely huge server area.

16 minutes ago, NeddoFreddo said:

The only problems with this is that people could still use the marble sculptures + gate method to get off of the land and then /rescue to teleport to the new areas, as well as potential memory issues with having an absolutely huge server area.

They could always just fix out of bounds exploits by killing players similar to how drowning works in SW. 

Archived