The Quality Of Life Update is Live!

Jason

Just now, GetNerfedOn said:

Still gotta check out if Tooth Traps have been changed. So far, i'm content liking how we can finally pick up smth while we hold smth in our cursor XD

Right, totally forgot about that. I don't think so though, they would most likely list it with other changes made.

nice update, i like the way the map looks now, it's more clear, would be also great if we could get different icons for different pig ruins, that would make things easier although I guess it is some difficulty aspect in knowing where to go ^^

looking forward to the character updates and would be even better if at any point Wigfrid would get some love, nettles made me abondon her, don't wanna be stuck with gas mask and rek my sanity throughout lush season, or perhaps something changed and i can cook/eat nettle rolls with meat?

edit: Whelp, I spoke too soon with enthusiasm for this update, as it turned out all the items I had on shelves and hat racks in my two slanty shanties have disappeared. It was all the good stuff too, lazy explorers I found in ruins and other rare display items, which I won't find again in ruins, well that blows. That's some quality of life taken away from me right there :D

• Beefalo taming and riding (Saddles, Brush, Saddlehorn)
  • The Ewecus (for Steel Wool)
  • Fences (Gates and Walls)
  • Bundles (and Wax Paper and Bee's Wax)
  • Mini signs (and the Feather Pen for writing)
  • Action Key ability while holding an item on your cursor
  • Trap pickup using the action key

So I have a few questions about this Q.O.L patch.
Are any of the following things from DST planned on being added in the future?

• Salt Lick (Seems rather important to the current additions)
  • Scaled Furnace/Flooring
  • Fixing the large animation (and time) difference between opening gates in DS vs DST
  • DST bosses? (Bee Queen/Ant Lion)
  • Any of the Moonrock content
  • Ability to switch characters like DST?
  • Mushroom Farming/mushroom spores
  • And then the biggest request - Skins pl0x?!? ^_^

I know some of these line items are rather tricky and its wishful thinking on my part (especially since DS & DST content are supposed to have differences) but I'm loving that you're brining in some of the quality stuff from DST to solo play.

I know you guys don't want to reveal your whole hand and you've given us tidbits of upcoming stuff for both DS & DST but a few hints for the rumor mill would be savory! :)

Just now, Viktor234 said:

Isn't it already theoretically possible to switch characters by completing adventure mode twice?

It is.

I guess I should have been more specific, A simpler way to switch characters like DST compared to the convoluted way you currently do it in Solo play. My bad.

4 minutes ago, Griver84 said:

It is.

I guess I should have been more specific, A simpler way to switch characters like DST compared to the convoluted way you currently do it in Solo play. My bad.

You mean the way that has actually a cost attached to it? It should stay that way. The switching of characters in DST was a horrible idea anyway imo and turns characters into tools that you throw away when you dont need them anymore instead of building the world around them.

Single player should NOT turn into DST! Keep the games seperated and only bring over things that apply to basic game play like attack canceling.

28 minutes ago, Griver84 said:

So I have a few questions about this Q.O.L patch.
Are any of the following things from DST planned on being added in the future?

• Salt Lick (Seems rather important to the current additions)
  • Scaled Furnace/Flooring
  • Fixing the large animation (and time) difference between opening gates in DS vs DST
  • DST bosses? (Bee Queen/Ant Lion)
  • Any of the Moonrock content
  • Ability to switch characters like DST?
  • Mushroom Farming/mushroom spores
  • And then the biggest request - Skins pl0x?!? ^_^

I know some of these line items are rather tricky and its wishful thinking on my part (especially since DS & DST content are supposed to have differences) but I'm loving that you're brining in some of the quality stuff from DST to solo play.

I know you guys don't want to reveal your whole hand and you've given us tidbits of upcoming stuff for both DS & DST but a few hints for the rumor mill would be savory! :)

Character switching is a thing in SP. But you have to world hop

Just now, JosePapp said:

Character switching is a thing in SP. But you have to world hop

Adventure mode was the usual method, but world hopping does work as well. Unless you have a map you don't want to sacrifice

6 minutes ago, pe5e said:

You mean the way that has actually a cost attached to it? It should stay that way. The switching of characters in DST was a horrible idea anyway imo and turns characters into tools that you throw away when you dont need them anymore instead of building the world around them.

Single player should NOT turn into DST! Keep the games seperated and only bring over things that apply to basic game play like attack canceling.

Personal opinion, as is mine. I'd love to see the character switching come to solo tbh. Makes the overall play experience (in my opinion) greater. But I am but a single person among the masses. 

Also there's cost attached to switching in DST. Granted its an item cost rather than a multiple hour time investment compared to solo play.

As for turning the characters into tools, I disagree. At least when I'm playing I have specific parts of my worlds that cater to each of the characters strengths for me to utilize while I'm on them.

12 minutes ago, Griver84 said:

Adventure mode was the usual method, but world hopping does work as well. Unless you have a map you don't want to sacrifice

Personal opinion, as is mine. I'd love to see the character switching come to solo tbh. Makes the overall play experience (in my opinion) greater. But I am but a single person among the masses. 

Also there's cost attached to switching in DST. Granted its an item cost rather than a multiple hour time investment compared to solo play.

As for turning the characters into tools, I disagree. At least when I'm playing I have specific parts of my worlds that cater to each of the characters strengths for me to utilize while I'm on them.

You can also world hop in linked worlds that you dont care about.

I understand your opinion, I just dont agree with it. I am a single player as well and I dont like a lot of this update at all. I just dont understand why you want to port all this stuff to single player. I would simply be DST with a single player mod. There are even SW mods for DST. Importing too much stuff from DST into singleplayer and make them too simular is not good imo.

That is what I meant though. You dont just play one character anymore, you basicly play all. It is not the survial of a lost soul, it is minecraft with basicly unlimted resources. One shouldnt be able to switch wickerbottom and wolfgang with that low of a cost.

My personal opinion is that most of those features are redundant, unnecessary, and part of the reason I don't play DST to begin with.

Beef taming is tedious, very middling in reward, and inferior to coffee in pretty much every way. Also not a fan of the Ewecus in singleplayer, i'm not really picturing how it adds to the game as it's a mob that was designed to take multiple people to kill in the first place.

Bundle wrapping is a mechanic that I think has no place in the game seeing how easy it already is; i'm fine with grinding in games but packing my meals for the whole week makes me feel like a housewife and nothing more. It's the opposite of gameplay to me.

I can't trash talk any further since you guys did such an outstanding job with Hamlet, but i'm kind of disappointed that wasn't even playtested a little bit.

Archived