The Quality Of Life Update is Live!

Jason

10 hours ago, Hezel said:

My personal opinion is that most of those features are redundant, unnecessary, and part of the reason I don't play DST to begin with.

Beef taming is tedious, very middling in reward, and inferior to coffee in pretty much every way. Also not a fan of the Ewecus in singleplayer, i'm not really picturing how it adds to the game as it's a mob that was designed to take multiple people to kill in the first place.

Bundle wrapping is a mechanic that I think has no place in the game seeing how easy it already is; i'm fine with grinding in games but packing my meals for the whole week makes me feel like a housewife and nothing more. It's the opposite of gameplay to me.

I can't trash talk any further since you guys did such an outstanding job with Hamlet, but i'm kind of disappointed that wasn't even playtested a little bit.

1) Beefalo taming in DST is just for fun, or even fan-service, cuz a lot of people dreamed about this since single was launched. It’s very optional, because it’s more like a decor, you don’t blame, let’s say, Houndius Shootius for being pretty useless, do you? It’s just creates that feeling of accomplishment and looks cool.

Although, Ewecus in single is such a bad idea, the only melee way to kill him is to hire some pigs, it’s kinda frustrating for me.

2) Bundle wrapping mechanic is for situations, when you have 100+ pieces of meat, for example, after deerclops+beefalo massacre, and you just can’t use all of that meat before it spoils. Also, it’s veru useful to store bulbs and glow-berries. You are bot suppised to use it every day, but in very particular situation it can help a lot.

1 hour ago, Dalek said:

1) Beefalo taming in DST is just for fun, or even fan-service, cuz a lot of people dreamed about this since single was launched. It’s very optional, because it’s more like a decor, you don’t blame, let’s say, Houndius Shootius for being pretty useless, do you? It’s just creates that feeling of accomplishment and looks cool.

Although, Ewecus in single is such a bad idea, the only melee way to kill him is to hire some pigs, it’s kinda frustrating for me.

2) Bundle wrapping mechanic is for situations, when you have 100+ pieces of meat, for example, after deerclops+beefalo massacre, and you just can’t use all of that meat before it spoils. Also, it’s veru useful to store bulbs and glow-berries. You are bot suppised to use it every day, but in very particular situation it can help a lot.

1) Beefalos are really useful in DST when you want to move marble pieces around or antlion boulders.
2) Creating stable, steady food source is very important. Bundling wraps kinda take this away which is bad imo. You could just spam flingo + prime apes farm for example, get tons of bananas and morsels for whole year and preserve it, which removes the whole point of getting food and managing it. 

57 minutes ago, Maslak said:

1) Beefalos are really useful in DST when you want to move marble pieces around or antlion boulders.
2) Creating stable, steady food source is very important. Bundling wraps kinda take this away which is bad imo. You could just spam flingo + prime apes farm for example, get tons of bananas and morsels for whole year and preserve it, which removes the whole point of getting food and managing it. 

1) May be in future updates this content will be moved to single too? 

2) Oh, come on, spider farm + bird in cage = infinite food. It’s very simple, bundling wraps can be used not for having a lot of food, but for saving the surplus.

4 hours ago, Dalek said:

you don’t blame, let’s say, Houndius Shootius for being pretty useless, do you?

I know what you're getting at, it's prestige and it's not needed. But I do blame them, and with an AI overhaul & more leeway on the player's part to pick and choose which target it aggros instead of using this arbitrary piece of ass we call code, they could have served a purpose other than being a flattering display of wealth.

Bundle wrapping mechanic is for situations, when you have 100+ pieces of meat, for example, after deerclops+beefalo massacre, and you just can’t use all of that meat before it spoils. Also, it’s veru useful to store bulbs and glow-berries. You are bot suppised to use it every day, but in very particular situation it can help a lot.

Any player with >50 hours in the game would hardly need to bundle food; unless you want to stay at 300 hunger at absolutely all times, meat from a beef genocide is completely overkill and you don't need that much.

In my world I have so much honey that i frequently have full stacks spoil. Also don't need to bundle lightbulbs because I make trips to the volcano every couple years and transform inventories worth of obsidian to 2.6 times their worth in slurtle slime. That said, light is probably the one use for it I could condone.

It's like this absolutely terrible no-sweat mode in the PE that completely kills the point of playing. You load in the world and then do what ? Everything remotely challenging is removed, there's no gameplay. Klei has amazing standards of quality for all their other games; why are they setting them aside for the DS franchise? As for DST if it follows that same trend it's been on for a while now, the game can only get so much easier before new players get bored because there isn't any challenge. Just my 2 cents and frustration with the direction the games have taken in the recent years.

Something to note about Hezel's criticisms is that, as far as I know, his only experience with DST is playing PvP and watching other people stream. We've been in a lot of the same communities for years now, and he's been repeating this opinion on bundling wraps for a long time without ever using them himself.

In DST, I've personally never used bundling wraps for anything except light bulbs and beefalo herd massacres. You are not forced to use bundling wraps just because they exist.

37 minutes ago, Hezel said:

It's like this absolutely terrible no-sweat mode in the PE that completely kills the point of playing. You load in the world and then do what ? Everything remotely challenging is removed, there's no gameplay. Klei has amazing standards of quality for all their other games; why are they setting them aside for the DS franchise? As for DST if it follows that same trend it's been on for a while now, the game can only get so much easier before new players get bored because there isn't any challenge. Just my 2 cents and frustration with the direction the games have taken in the recent years.

This! Very much this! Unfortunately, it doesnt look like Klei is going to change this attitude any time soon. The last content update of DST which allowed character switching in worlds, means not even your character matters anymore. Is this really what players want? What is the point of a survial game if there isnt any kind of challenge, no matter how small it is?

I also dislike the attitude of "nobody forces you to use them". Just like loot boxes, right?

4 minutes ago, pe5e said:

I also dislike the attitude of "nobody forces you to use them". Just like loot boxes, right?

I was unaware that Klei has been using bundling wraps to scam people out of money. Do you really think bundling wraps and loot boxes are similar in any way?

Just now, Field Field said:

I was unaware that Klei has been using bundling wraps to scam people out of money. Do you seriously think bundling wraps and loot boxes are similar in any way?

That was not what I way going for. Both are reducing gameplay while providing nothing in return. The question shouldnt be "why do you use them then?", it should be "why is it in the game?" or "does it add anything to game play?". 

20 minutes ago, pe5e said:

That was not what I way going for. Both are reducing gameplay while providing nothing in return. The question shouldnt be "why do you use them then?", it should be "why is it in the game?" or "does it add anything to game play?". 

Y'know that most people use bundling wraps right?

Just becasue you don't like tchem doesn't mean that Klei should get rid of them

11 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Y'know that most people use bundling wraps right?

Just becasue you don't like tchem doesn't mean that Klei should get rid of them

I never said that. While they are still overpowered in DST, they at least make some sense when you make a lot of food for many players. But in single player there is never need for so much food. It just replaces the removel for steady food supply from gameplay with nothing in return. There were a lot of other basic things they could have brought over from DST like fighting behavior or path finding. Brining  bundling wraps over seem rather lazy and maybe even wrong, when the outcome on single player is very different from DST. 

That is just my view on this. I cant change anything, but I can at least voice my concerns about Klei´s direction on the game.

Edit: Grammar

1 hour ago, Field Field said:

In DST, I've personally never used bundling wraps for anything except light bulbs and beefalo herd massacres. You are not forced to use bundling wraps just because they exist.

They’re also good for keeping hambats fresh until you need them.

46 minutes ago, pe5e said:

I never said that. While they are still overpowered in DST, they at least make some sense when you make a lot of food for many players. But in single player there is never need for so much food. It just replaces the removel for steady food supply from gameplay with nothing in return. There were a lot of other basic things they could have brought over from DST like fighting behavior or path finding. Brining  bundling wraps over seem rather lazy and maybe even wrong, when the outcome on single player is very different from DST. 

That is just my view on this. I cant change anything, but I can at least voice my concerns about Klei´s direction on the game.

Edit: Grammar

Community in nutshell 

2017: Oh jeez, there is so many cool things in DST, why doesn’t Klei add them to singleplayer??7?

2019: OH JEEZ, THIS CONTENT MAKES SINGLEPLAYER SOOO EAAAASY, NO CHALLENGE AT ALL, WHAT THE HELL KLEIII????77 

Just imagine devs right now.

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

They’re also good for keeping hambats fresh until you need them.

thanks for another good cool way pf using dem m8, I’ve never really thought about that

1 minute ago, Dalek said:

Community in nutshell 

2017: Oh jeez, there is so many cool things in DST, why doesn’t Klei add them to singleplayer??7?

2019: OH JEEZ, THIS CONTENT MAKES SINGLEPLAYER SOOO EAAAASY, NO CHALLENGE AT ALL, WHAT THE HELL KLEIII????77 

Just imagine devs right now.

I never was such a person and hopefully never will be. If some people really want this, then there are mods for this, but not the main game please. At least rebalance the ported items at least. If Bundling Wraps worked like the insulated pack and you could only carry one with then it would be a lot more balanced. It would function as an insulated pack that doesnt take the chest slot and wouldnt be quit so overpowered. One shouldnt be able to have 116 inventory slots ((15 inventory slots + 14 krampus sack slots) times 4). 

(Not going to comment on the strawman argument)

56 minutes ago, Dalek said:

Community in nutshell 

2019: OH JEEZ, THIS CONTENT MAKES SINGLEPLAYER SOOO EAAAASY, NO CHALLENGE AT ALL, WHAT THE HELL KLEIII????

Yeah i could see some1 complaining that Scaled Furnace makes ds too easy even though counteles ammount of people requests adding it to ds.

@pe5e seriously dude can you just… stop that? No one takes bundling wraps as extra inventory slots. Most people simply store food in them and even then it's only usefull when you have leftover healing food from boss battle or summer approatches and you know stuff's going to rot.

5 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

@pe5e seriously dude can you just… stop that? No one takes bundling wraps as extra inventory slots. Most people simply store food in them and even then it's only usefull when you have leftover healing food from boss battle or summer approatches and you know stuff's going to rot.

Just because you dont use Bundling Wraps this way doesnt mean it doesnt have much more potential than simply storing food. A LOT MORE actually. Some of which doesnt make a lot of sense and is far too good. If you dont share my view then fine but then at least bring some counter arguments on why it isnt too good.

15 minutes ago, pe5e said:

Just because you dont use Bundling Wraps this way doesnt mean it doesnt have much more potential than simply storing food. A LOT MORE actually.

Well if you're a try hard that wants to exploit everything in the game then I might as well complain about lureplants being too op cuz flesh bulb allows you to glitch out of the map and avoid going through autrium in dst

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Well if you're a try hard that wants to exploit everything in the game then I might as well complain about lureplants being too op cuz flesh bulb allows you to glitch out of the map and avoid going through autrium in dst

But using the Bundling Wrap this way is NOT an exploit! That is how it is supposed to work. And can we not bring terms such as "tryhard" into this? This is not about the player playing, it is about the item. If an item is way too versatile and powerfull then it shouldnt be in the game or at least nerfed.

Doesn't the bundle wrap offer a great way to go exploring without needing to worry about food, if you take some time for gathering supplies beforehand? This was my first thought when I read about this. Might be a great way to offer players a slightly different playstyle.

Also, for most people who didn't read/watch every guide in existence it will take quite some time to find the blueprint in the first place (Edit: At least in Hamlet.). I always thought that beating a challenge or discovering something hidden comes with appropriate rewards in most games.

40 minutes ago, pe5e said:

If an item is way too versatile and powerfull then it shouldnt be in the game or at least nerfed.

But you know that in multiplayer it's the same, right? 

The fact that there are more people just means that more bundling wraps have to be made.

Also: most of the "advanced" and "overpowered" uses shown in the video you meantioned aren't supporting ur argumment.

"Storing lightbulbs"- yeah it's almost as if bundling wraps exist to allow you to store perishable items in them for future use. Also you can use reanimated skeleton to gather lightbulbs without going to the caves.

"Hambat freshness"- it ain't broken. If you don't have pig skin and meat aviable in ur base at all times then how did you even kill Bee Queen in the 1st place if ur base is that undeveloped. Also most pro players use darkswords.

"Moleworm, birds and butterflies"- again: intended use. It's a pure QoL feature, so you don't have to catch a new bird every summer. Also in singleplayer birds don't starve. You can multiply moleworms through catcoons and earthquackes. And using flower-flingo combo on toadstool is an exploit. And there's no toadstool in singleplayer.

Maybe it is just me, but in my mind a item shouldnt be able to completely store food, light sources and certain mobs for all eternity, while also allowing you to have way way more inventory space at the cost of only one rope. Again, I think in DST it is less of a problem because there are more people around, but I see no reason to import this item unchanged into single player when a lot of other quirks would have been more important.

4 minutes ago, pe5e said:

Maybe it is just me, but in my mind a item shouldnt be able to completely store food, light sources and certain mobs for all eternity, while also allowing you to have way way more inventory space at the cost of only one rope. Again, I think in DST it is less of a problem because there are more people around, but I see no reason to import this item unchanged into single player when a lot of other quirks would have been more important.

Item should stay as it is. The only thing that devs should change is a way of getting it. Cuz fighting beehives is too easy. New players would get their hands on it too fast. Maybe have tumbleweeds drop them with 0.5 chance.

Or even- add Bee Queen to ds. A nerfed version that is limited resource. You kill her, she won't respawn.

Or simply add gigantic beehive that you have to use 3 hammers on to destroy while fighting off bees.

I see nothing wrong with bundling wrap food is easy to get and bundling it so it doesn't rot doesn't do much besides let you stockpile a large amount of food for long expeditions so you don't have to keep returning to your base or go out of your way to get food. although its to easy to get killing bees isn't hard you can stunlock them. 

And how Fan it is going to be in Hamlet...

We Already have Nettle - non-spoiled  health+food+sanity. We Already have clippings - also non-spoiled edible item in the game. Blooming Tuber - hell variant of The honey of Hamlet,  But i need more... much more

At least i have known now how is heaven looks like in pig dreams - money + non-spoiled food and some guy whom you just can pay 1 coins to take your shi*.

Archived