Items less used in the game

As you know, there's some items less "popular" than others while we explore and play in the Constant. So, this thread is talk about those little things (and maybe look for a way to fix theirs current status).

I'll start with a example: Piggyback. 

While add 12 slots sounds great, the movement penalty and cost of production makes Piggyback less "popular" than the Backpack and Krampus Sack basically has replaced him. 

¿Which items do you think are the least used?

I recognize its somewhat unpopular but I do use the piggyback quite often: I like carrying many things during the early explorations and gathering, and im usually impatient enough to wait for the krampus sack.

I'd add the grass suit: I use it during the very early exploration (days 1-5) and the 2 only characters I use it with are Wigfrid, to keep the first helmets durability a bit more, or as maxwell if im gonna do something risky that may get me insta killed without armor, (such as swamp gathering or messing with tallbirds). 

Past that point or with other charscters I rarely find myself making even one throughout the game, since the cheap standard armor by far is the log suit. 

Its a bit late to suggest this but I would have made the original recipe of log armor: wood + grass suit, much like an upgrade of the first.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

messing with tallbirds

Excuse me?

The rain coat i find isn't super popular. Neither is the bearger equipment. Well- basically everything made by the seasonal giants besides deerclops is hardly used or is only used in super niche purposes. Just too impractical most of the time.

The Rain hat 

The straw hat may be useless on its own, but at least you can make into something much more viable (miner's hat). 

But the Rain hat is just downright terrible. You can get the same amount of rain resistance required to block out the rain by putting on a Football helm/top hat and a umbrella. The only thing the Rain hat has that other hats don't (outside of Eyebrella ofc) is that it has resistance against lightning; but are you really going to get two moleworms, 12 grass, and some bone shards just to protect yourself from lightning?

The only use I see for this item is if Wicker is using the end is nigh on Wx/Volt goats. Even then, Wicker could just use the Eyebrella.

I would say the bat bat. Troublesome to craft, as its primary ingredient calls for a truly insane five bat wings from a mob who hardly seems to drop them, with a whole purple gem to boot, and its low durability and somewhat lax damage output relegate it to more of a "support" weapon, rather than one that dishes out damage more reliably like the ham bat or even the basic spear.

Still plenty fun to use when its niche can be taken advantage of, and the skin I have for it is slick, but I certainly wish it was easier to replace!

2 hours ago, landromat said:

Very good to chop toadstool trees

Seems like a waste of thulecite to me. Saving 2-3 swings isn't that big of a deal unless you're speedrunning or something.

2 hours ago, landromat said:

actually pretty good for ruins base

Even then, I never really found it useful. It's not that difficult to keep a lantern or miner hat fueled, so the only time I ever light a fire is when I need the heat or to cook something. Plus I'd rather spend that fuel on something more useful like a dark sword.

3 hours ago, superlucas1231 said:

The Rain hat

I'll admit that it's rather niche, but this is my go-to hat when I have a walking cane, and don't have an eyebrella. It gives a good amount of wetness resistance on it's own, so it lets me use the cane longer instead of just holding an umbrella the entire time.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Strangely ive seen a lot of people using the catcoon hat, but mostly for fashion purposes since there are usually better stuff available by the time they get one.

Cat Cap is available in gifts from the Winter Feast tree (Winter Hat too, but it's more rare) when your character sleeps there, maybe that's one reason.

Also, yes, just have the same insulation factor of Rabbit Earmuffs (60), while other clothes like Winter Hat have 120 or more. 

10 hours ago, superlucas1231 said:

The Rain hat 

The straw hat may be useless on its own, but at least you can make into something much more viable (miner's hat). 

But the Rain hat is just downright terrible. You can get the same amount of rain resistance required to block out the rain by putting on a Football helm/top hat and a umbrella. The only thing the Rain hat has that other hats don't (outside of Eyebrella ofc) is that it has resistance against lightning; but are you really going to get two moleworms, 12 grass, and some bone shards just to protect yourself from lightning?

The only use I see for this item is if Wicker is using the end is nigh on Wx/Volt goats. Even then, Wicker could just use the Eyebrella.

I actually use the rainhat a lot during the spring. I don't know why. I think it might just be the overall convenience of doing activities (or just holding a torch during rainy nights) while not gathering water. It's also not that expensive. hammering 2 moleworms is pretty easy especially with how everyone bases near PK, and the other resources are pretty abundant (the bone shards sadly, maybe a bit too abundant in your typical pub server)

In my first longer playthrough when I still played DST alone I actually used the piggybackpack for a long while. I was building things and needed more room and didn't mind the speed penalty. I also always use log suits and if danger happens i ditch the backpack and equip the log suit, so having it was never a problem

13 hours ago, Loopy Ouroboros said:

I would say the bat bat. Troublesome to craft, as its primary ingredient calls for a truly insane five bat wings from a mob who hardly seems to drop them, with a whole purple gem to boot, and its low durability and somewhat lax damage output relegate it to more of a "support" weapon, rather than one that dishes out damage more reliably like the ham bat or even the basic spear.

Still plenty fun to use when its niche can be taken advantage of, and the skin I have for it is slick, but I certainly wish it was easier to replace!

What is sad with, in addition to having to farm bats, their wings are spoiled quickly, even put in a cooler.

7 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Kabobs, Ratatouille, Fist Full Of Jam, Fruit Medley, Rabbit Earmuffs (though some newbs prioritize this over the Winter Hat for reasons), Catcoon Hat, and Pumpkin Lanterns.

I hate Ratatouille, this dish brings almost nothing, the bunny earmuff I never made, what is its isolation time?

15 minutes ago, Philsam said:

bunny earmuff I never made, what is its isolation time?

It has an insulation factor of 60 which is tiny, I dont know how much time is that but its certainly very little time. Its mostly an emergency tool when you join in winter to a server, and helps to be able to walk a bit and not take freezing damage between fires

20 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

It has an insulation factor of 60 which is tiny, I dont know how much time is that but its certainly very little time. Its mostly an emergency tool when you join in winter to a server, and helps to be able to walk a bit and not take freezing damage between fires

Thank you

In My current duo world, Piggyback is like a gift from the heavens for me. I Mostly work on hunting koalefants and getting rid of stumpts when i'm not in the base, as my other friend works in cleaning down the forest we are basing in. But since we're working on a megabase, having that extra inventory space is REALLY good so i can carry large ammounts of 800 wood in my backpack while making them into rocky roads!

One item i'd say is severely underused are the Mushroom hats. I Really want one myself, because I Want to make a gigantic mushroom farm. I think it's probably because killing toadstool isn't exactly.. convenient? easy? worth it? But being the idiot I am, i'm gonna go hunt it anyway. Hooray.

Surprised that someone actually mentioned rain hat being that bad. it's my usual go-to item, unless you can afford eyebrella. I find it easier to get moles than pig butts for both helmet and umbrella. With rain hat you can just stand under a tree for a short while to dry out. But I like to use a walking cane, as well :/

About all other seasonal items that use vest slot. Thermal stone basically removes the dilemma of choosing between extra storing slots and extra insulation/ventilation. Whenever I see someone craft it, it usually sits in base, sometimes used in emergency or by newcomers. Doesn't matter, how hard to get components, or how high numbers are (unless it's high armor value or healing). That's why eyebrella is often used item (uses a head slot), and the reset of them are very underused.

Archived