Trying a game where I don't use terrariums or carbon skimmer. Anyone tried this b4

It's fairly easy really. I've never used terrariums and stopped using skimmers since the debuff to fertilizer synthesizers.

I just liquid lock my base and push extra CO2 out. If you feel like slicksters aren't dealing with it, then just ranch a single slickster and that should do it. Bonus if you can breed a molten one.

Don't use either of those. I produce so much oxygen that the place becomes over pressured making CO2 a joke.  It gets compressed.  I'm at cycle 1300+  and CO2  is barely taking any space.   Once you hit rock bottom and find a slickster  which was around 1100+ for they'll eat it.

Then again I was running only 5 dupes All divers lungs.  and one dupe has deep divers. 

Terrariums do not need CO2 and you need 60 to void the production of 1 mere Duplicant but yes,

you can easily do without since all you need is a space below your base where it can collect. Use inefficient Deoxidizers and Electrolyzers and you got enough O2 for a long time.

As has been already mentioned, it's fairly easy to avoid CO2 problems. 

I don't even use the minor exploits of infinite gas compression or door destroyers. I just set up a pump with an element sensor on a 10 second filter on the bottom level of my base and pump anything more than the bottom 4 tile layers of CO2 outside my base and ignore it.

Heck, this base is the first time I've used a Terrarium in a couple months. Just needed some oxygen at the end of a tunnel so I could see what a geyser was (Cool Slush, Yay!) and disassembled it a couple cycles later. 

2 hours ago, greggbert said:

Plan is to keep pushing the CO2 down toward the slicksters and hope they can deal.  Anyone successfully done this before? Any tips?

I rarely use them anymore.  For the past several updates, I've built my base where CO2 is saved for slicksters.  Some things to keep in mind that might help you along:

1. CO2 sinks.  I build something like this somewhere in the bottom of my livable area to move CO2 where I want it to go:  
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.56518ac290c7e65c3c6ff96598d6e5ee.png

As the CO2 settles down into the corner, it builds up until it touches the sensor and the pump kicks on and whisks it away.

2. If you don't have somewhere to put it, be prepared for it to start building up.  One way to solve this is just to dig a bit deeper and give it somewhere to go.  Another is to build a room with a one-way valve (liquid flooded vent "exploit") to hold it until you're ready for it.

3. CO2 changes temperatures slowly, but doesn't carry that much heat energy -- so that CO2 geyser you've got pumping out liquid CO2? It can cool the area down eventually, but its relatively easy to keep that from happening.  Something as simple as piping some water through it on the way to (or from) your base will keep it room temperature.  On the other hand, you could go the other route and liquify it for high-density storage.

4. CO2 makes a great gas for food storage... No need to power refridgerators.  Just make sure the dupes hold their breath before going down to grab a meal.

1 hour ago, TheScaryOne said:

Terrariums are still terrible, even now that they don't delete a ton of water. Even if you flood them someone has to go get the PH2O bottles and drag them back.

Actually, Terrariums aren't too bad bad. Give 'em a light, build a deoderizer on each end and just ignore the polluted water bottles. Most efficient maker of oxygen there is in the game. Downside? A Dupe has to go and "empty" out the polluted water so you either get the wet feet debuff from walking through the water or you need a taller room with ladders to jump across and stay out of the water. 

1 hour ago, TheScaryOne said:

Terrariums are still terrible, even now that they don't delete a ton of water. Even if you flood them someone has to go get the PH2O bottles and drag them back.

They're only terrible if they're your primary source of oxygen.  I've used them in key locations of my base to great effect.  That said...

It sure would be nice to have a way for autosweepers to grab the stupid bottles and send them to a central location.

I use one single CO2 skimmer.  Nearby my main bank of Natural Gas Generators.

I use the polluted water pool there as the place my base aquatuner sits, so I have a

sieve, skimmer combination there to keep the polluted water pool at a stable 48C or so.

Usually, in my bases, the CO2 ends up deleting itself over time not long after I set up my SPOM.  The general state of overpressure from the SPOM ends up slowly deleting small quantities from the large cloud that has built up till that point.  Eventually it disappears entirely.

Archived