Rocketry Upgrade Testing Branch Now Open! - [Game Update] - 282822

29 minutes ago, Christophlette said:
43 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

The regolith debris  are still in there. The most annoying thing ever.

Those are fun to mess around at the start to handle the temperature. But the debris are just unbearable after a while.

No I need that regolith:

Regolith > Oxygen!

I’ve been using my regolith in water sieves to produce polluted dirt and evaporating the polluted dirt to polluted oxygen. Then putting the polluted oxygen through my LOX to make oxygen.

Not to mention all that hot regolith powers my steam turbine.

It’s fun to think my duplicants are breathing processed polluted space dust :p 

Edited by yoakenashi
Forgot to mention the steam turbine
  • Haha 2

regolith.png.04ab55373c981746a1fe8c8becb80b7d.png

Regolith now doesn't drop as debris. But destroy other regolith tiles and turn them into debris. Adding regolith tiles still add regolith in our bases if we want to use solar panels with space. So it adds an evergrowing supply of regolith.

3 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Could you elaborate one what the devs changed regarding water sieves?

The water sieve didn't change but the heat capacity of PW is now the same as H2O. So it deletes less heat if you put heated PW in it.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

They have changed it ? hmm. Maybe the debris are from my old savegame. Sorry.

Update 279276

• Rock and Dust comets no longer spawn loose regolith (though loose regolith may be spawned when a tile is destroyed).

As soon as they did this I started a new game and got to 800 cycles with pre CU update frames. Made me so happy. Cuz at about cycle 200 i was getting 12FPS on single speed, now im back up at 40+ at near 1000 cycles

Edited by BlueLance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Edit: Which means that not only is the water sieve nerfed, but polluted water as a whole is nerfed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  I could work around the sieve but needed that higher heat capacity!!!

Okay, just saw other posts that say Sieve is outputting fixed it's the higher heat capacity only that is nerfed.  Still I'd rather it have been the other way around.  Oh well. 

21 hours ago, Pyrrus said:

Also, it's been mentioned before above but I too dislike the apparent trend towards being given purpose built buildings for problems as opposed to encouraging the creation of large complex self designed machines that rely on physics properties of the world. It was the ability to make these that made me excited about ONI in the first place and what I've spent the majority of my time on in game. It is what makes ONI unique to my mind and differentiates it from games like factorio.

ditto this.  I have hundreds of hours into ONI BECAUSE I love building big huge builds that I'm fiddling with for hours trying to get it to work, not I build a sieve and done.  I really hope they do not nerf everything that allowed us to build complex Goldberg machines.....

Edited by Denisetwin

2 hours ago, Christophlette said:

I totally agree on that. Doors are not big enough to let the rocket through... And I talk about bunker doors...

If I recall right from yesterday, the liquid fuel tank of the rocket can contains 900kg of petroleum to fuel a rocket. And it takes 5x5 tiles. One tile in the asteroid can contain 900kg of petroleum alone...

[...]

I agree on that. It's redondant to have petroleum as fuel. Maybe sour gas ? So we must throttle the production to get a lot of petroleum to produce power and a bit of sour gas to fuel our rockets ? Naphta may not be the right answer but would be in the right direction.

Though one sure would not like to have the fuel increase by even "just" 9 times (instead of 25). I'd rather not shrink the rocket ("body") to just 3x3 either, that'd be too slim. Rocket Engine is by the by 7x5 while all other modules are 5x5 indeed. My suggestion would be to go to 4x4 or at least make Bunker doors 5x1, the lack of symmetry is disturbing me. It's really not a space issue to build a rocket but to keep it from being bombarded (unless you are like me and...nvm).

Other fuels I am against until one can actually make liquid hydrogen (sign me up for getting the hydrogen out of sour gas) or liquid oxygen (well, solid already exists, kinda). For now I am rather afraid of how much one will be able to travel before running out of natural petroleum and at which pace one can travel with new one.

On a side note, I am waiting for buildings having their heat capacity fixed~

Are we able to sustain gassy moos without an chlorine vent? Can rockets bring back gases?

45 minutes ago, Sinthesy said:

I just noticed the Flammable property on some objects, can we finally torch down our colony in a sea of flames?

Those have been around for a while already. Might be a dropped feature or a delayed one.

6 hours ago, MTzu said:

The gas resorvoir only displaces 15 Tiles (3x5).

Numerous people have commented on this, so I just want to clarify.  Because when I first loaded up the game I think there was a hitbox issue that cause it to occupy a 3x7 space.  I am positive it originally took that much space because I drew a box of tiles around it...

3 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  I could work around the sieve but needed that higher heat capacity!!!

Okay, just saw other posts that say Sieve is outputting fixed it's the higher heat capacity only that is nerfed.  Still I'd rather it have been the other way around.  Oh well. 

ditto this.  I have hundreds of hours into ONI BECAUSE I love building big huge builds that I'm fiddling with for hours trying to get it to work, not I build a sieve and done.  I really hope they do not nerf everything that allowed us to build complex Goldberg machines.....

If they nerf everything, your complex functional machines will become complex Goldberg machines.  If you love goldberg machines, you should be cheering these nerfs on.  That's exactly what the sour gas nerf did, it turned complex but very powerful oil cracking machines into complex machines that didn't accomplish anything worthwhile...that's the exact definition of a Goldberg machine.  This is important, everyone keeps saying they love complex machines, but many people just stop there without specifying further.  Do they love complex overpowered machines? complex but balanced machines? or complex rube goldberg designs?  

Edited by trukogre

29 minutes ago, trukogre said:

If they nerf everything, your complex functional machines will become complex Goldberg machines.  If you love goldberg machines, you should be cheering these nerfs on.  That's exactly what the sour gas nerf did, it turned complex but very powerful oil cracking machines into complex machines that didn't accomplish anything worthwhile...that's the exact definition of a Goldberg machine.  This is important, everyone keeps saying they love complex machines, but many people just stop there without specifying further.  Do they love complex overpowered machines? complex but balanced machines? or complex rube goldberg designs?  

@JarrettM @Cheerio I wouldn't really put it like this person does, but he has a point. I'll ask again: Could you provide a bit more explanation to why you choose to replace natural gas with sour gas as the boiling product of petroleum? We understand the numerous oil boilers produced too much natural gas and could be considered overpowered, but at the same time it is a hard, fun and rewarding challenge to build such boilers. These are not easy to construct! Wasn't adjusting the conversion ratio a better option? Or will sour gas have an useful function that justifies building complex and resource-heavy devices like the oil boilers?

4 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Wasn't adjusting the conversion ratio a better option?

It would have been weird to adjust a state change. It is an evaporation. Mass is conserved. If they wanted to adjust it they had to add a specific way to change the state change of this particular element. It's a lot more work than just putting sour gas in the place of natural gas. They added another way to get natural gas instead. And maybe they will add a use for sour gas. And now you must use a contraption to stop the boiling of crude oil before it turns into sour gas. That's another contraption.

15 hours ago, yoakenashi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I agree with @Saturnus, we don't want to just say "Launch Mission" and then get resources after some time. Exploring and building within the worlds as if they were a mini-maps is one option, like @Naatch explained. You could be limited to the resources you brought:

• no food at the destination, means once the duplicants consume the rations they brought on the rocket, you will need to return
  • no oxygen at the destination, so once your oxylite is all gone, you will need to leave before your astronauts suffocate

Our primary asteroid/world is essentially left on pause and we can pick up where we left off when we return from our mission.

But do we really want these missions to be just resource runs? ONI is more than just a gather resources game. Klei has given a lot of attention to the duplicants downtime, their morale, their social interactions. We need to bring back more than just resources, and I think Klei is doing that by having the missions gather interstellar research. These missions need to further the colony's development and improve its culture.

This could just be like "Caves"  in don't starve.    Surface world goes on pause (I think- forgot).  and you're in the caves.

Overall,  all this trouble for   Space Cows to fart Natural Gas.   But really, we should just be all picking Dupes that have the farting trait if farting natural gas is such a big deal.

Chlorine is going to be the big issue and I can see old map seeds being forced to have 1 fixed Chlorine Geyser.

I did notice one of the maps seed that I play on got a new geyser added to the map  - though it was hydro geyser added   but it already had a chlorine geyser to begin with. not sure if that was the effect.  [edit:  my mistake, the hydro geyser was always there.  looks like no changes to map seeds.  I went back to check the old file I had on the old build.]

Edited by RonEmpire

43 minutes ago, trukogre said:

Do they love complex overpowered machines? complex but balanced machines? or complex rube goldberg designs?  

I'm using Goldberg here to reference building a huge complex build to do the same thing that one small machine does.  For example, building a a complex oil boiler (i've tried three times now unsuccessfully even with hundreds of hours in game) vs building the oil refinery - one building that would do the same thing my very complicated build does.  I get a reward as my complex build had a better conversion rate (well if it had worked, LOL) and that's what I want kept.  This leaves something in the game for casual, don't want to think too hard about it players as well as the science/mathematics players who are busy calculating watts and joules and the most efficient way to do something.  Casual player doesn't care to spend the time to learn how to keep a vacuum etc to keep the magma molten, he just builds the oil refinery and moves on while the techno-nerds who love making a huge design that will wring every drop of energy/heat etc out of a build can still have their fun too.  THAT was the fun for me.  Why I love the game.  I hope it doesn't go away.