Rocketry Upgrade Testing Branch Now Open! - [Game Update] - 282822

I hope that's not the final end game -  working towards a browser style game.

I suppose that's a neat way to make your dupes useful as far as accepting new dupes from the printing pod  and just send them all out on missions, since there is nothing left to do back at base after you've literally dug out everything and automated it.    They all stand around doing nothing and sucking oxygen and food.    maybe ranch a few critters and cook a few meals.

I don't mind it being like  Don't Starve, where you craft a portal and go to the next world with a few items on your inventory.

Or like Craft the World, where you find and build the portal and go to a New Biome / map.

Maybe a way to pick a few dupes to enter the portal and just start a new map with 3 of the best guys you have starting with an advantage.

The printer pod can offer random choices but now and then can be selection of your OLD guys with already loaded out skills as well.

2 minutes ago, Khullag said:

i'm also curious what's the purpose of oxylite building. since seems it's not needed for rockets - what's the point? just as alternative to pufts?

It could make exploration easier in the early game if you could just build a container and bring oxylite to it instead of building a algae deox and running cables to it. But I'm guessing it's not early tech, so that idea is probably out the window.

Just now, Saturnus said:

It could make exploration easier in the early game if you could just build a container and bring oxylite to it instead of building a algae deox and running cables to it. But I'm guessing it's not early tech, so that idea is probably out the window.

It requires unrefined gold, so definitely not an early game solution.

1 hour ago, trukogre said:

Sacrificing one of your ice biomes should be plenty of worts/ice to keep a base cold until you get to oil, although some people like to keep every single ice biome intact for the free sleet wheat.  If you have decent NG geysers close to your base you could generate a fair amount of cold from your NGG farm, or a slush geyser solves your problem of course.

My last world I used an ice biome to keep cool and it mostly worked for a good long while.  This game I got lucky and got a NG vent and two cool steam vents near my base but only finally found a cold biome after 250 or so cycles off to the side and deep down. This time to keep cool I quickly build an aqua tuner in polluted water and had it cool another pond of polluted water with a closed loop, then run the electrolyzer oxygen through that to cool it, as well as a closed loop of water to the ore refinery. 

Never had NG in worlds before now and never seen a slush.  I assume by generate cold you mean build your NG generator in the cold biome so it puts out cold polluted water?

47 minutes ago, Fraxotic said:

This. I'm almost at cycle 1000 and my base is still temperate with a grand total of 5 wheezeworts inside it pretty much since cycle 100. All i'm saying is to get as many wheezeworts as you need for early game cooling while keeping in mind that you can get more if you need to later on. What's so hard to get? lmao..

5 wheezeworts plus what other heat voiding?  In my last world I had 5 wheezeworts plus piping heat via water into the cold biome to melt it and it still ended up not being enough.

Just now, Saturnus said:

It requires refined metal, specifically small amounts of gold.

22 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

You need to pack the rockets with food/oxygen and other stuff to survive, or just petroleum?

Just petroleum.  It's honestly super boring.  The rockets themselves don't even have any engineering/design aspects to them.

If we had to balance weight of food/oxygen giving longer travel times, but adding more mass, that could be interesting.  Send your dupes on a slow, fuel conserving trip that will take a long time to return and consume food, or a blazing fast journey that will eat up fuel.  Smaller rocket parts that are more modular would help as well...I dunno, this just feels so half baked to me

Edited by AzeTheGreat
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, AzeTheGreat said:

Just petroleum.  It's honestly super boring.  The rockets themselves don't even have any engineering/design aspects to them.

If we had to balance weight of food/oxygen giving longer travel times, but adding more mass, that could be interesting.  Send your dupes on a slow, fuel conserving trip that will take a long time to return and consume food, or a blazing fast journey that will eat up fuel.  Smaller rocket parts that are more modular would help as well...I dunno, this just feels so half baked to me

I mean...it JUST released! They still have 2 weeks to take player feedback and adjust things!

It's a bit premature to call something half baked when it's still in temp art.

• Thanks 1

If we had to balance weight of food/oxygen giving longer travel times, but adding more mass, that could be interesting.  Send your dupes on a slow, fuel conserving trip that will take a long time to return and consume food, or a blazing fast journey that will eat up fuel.  Smaller rocket parts that are more modular would help as well...I dunno, this just feels so half baked to me.t within 50 cycles.

I'm sure they want to get the foundation of space exploration settled before they start pilling more complex mechanics on top of it.

/rant mod on/ Well. One thing is certain now. With space exploration being revealed, all avenues of building sustainable bases for the dupes without going into space will be eliminated, one after another, and we'll be forced to build rockets sooner or later if the dupes is to have any chance of surviving. This is what I feared the game would eventually devolve into. /rant mode off/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradigm87 said:

Ravaging hunger (very hard food setting) seems very badly tuned. No way to survive the initial stage with it.

Spoiler

You have to choose who survives the initial colony startup while not setting up the washbasin and overworking the dupes to find muckroots, copper and mealwood.

Then you can replace the goners with fresh dupes.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I mean...it JUST released! They still have 2 weeks to take player feedback and adjust things!

It's a bit premature to call something half baked when it's still in temp art.

For the updates I've been around for, I've not seen any that have significantly expanded on features to the level that would be required to make this one interesting (Edit: In the pre-release to release period - since this is being misinterpreted).  

26 minutes ago, goboking said:

I'm sure they want to get the foundation of space exploration settled before they start pilling more complex mechanics on top of it.

Hopefully.  Hopefully there's a Rocketry MKII update.  I honestly hope they expand on most of the systems currently in the game, because they all feel a bit barebones to me.

Edited by AzeTheGreat

6 minutes ago, AzeTheGreat said:

For the updates I've been around for, I've not seen any that have significantly expanded on features to the level that would be required to make this one interesting. 

Well, you joined in april. So i guess you only got wind of the

Ranching MK II Update,

Cosmic Update,

Expressive Update and

Rocketry Update.

I hate to say it, but i think you are pretty lonely with your opinion that those updates did not significantly expand the features of the game.

Edited by blash365
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Lets hope not. That would be a real kick in the face to all of us.

at least for now it would not be something really weird, i mean, i really like the idea of explore that places by ourselves, but it could bring a lot of job, new biomes(or varieties of existing ones), critters, like the cow, resources, even buildings and dangers. Got that implemented in only one update seems something very difficult, may be with time it could change, step by step, we dont know yet.

i dont think we are so near to the end, i see this like a window throught many things could be added, today, before the release, i was thinking in sort kind of advanced research that will needs duples to put their "laboratory" in a specific place, and the telescope is just like that, im so happy for all the posibilities that come with this update, both with space and a third research level and the space exploration. There are many things like the palm tree, the vulgus (i hope this two in a new biome in our asteroid) and the radius that still needs a place in this world, and i am pretty sure that Klei have more ideas hidden yet.

I like the idea of something like kerbal, a time to travel around there, then a message jump in our screen allowing us to control the dupes out there, do their thing, who knows, and then, when we've done, come back to the colony and the rocket will be in course again ... but, this is just a raw idea, it will be complicated intregate this to the game ... there are various ways of doing this.

PD: Sorry if i write something wrong, im starting to practice more english.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Well, you joined in april. So i guess you only got wind of the

Ranching MK II Update,

Cosmic Update,

Expressive Update and

Rocketry Update.

I hate to say it, but i think you are pretty lonely with your opinion that those updates did not significantly expand the features of the game.

Joining forums =/= joining the game and following the updates.

Also, I was specifically referring to the changes that occurred between the prerelease and final release versions of those updates.  Since I was responding to this

23 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

They still have 2 weeks to take player feedback and adjust things!

If you can show me significant changes that occurred in the two weeks for those updates then I'll reconsider, but they all seem to be bug fixing, artwork, and small tweaks to me.

• Like 1

If you can show me significant changes that occurred in the two weeks for those updates then I'll reconsider, but they all seem to be bug fixing, artwork, and small tweaks to me.

There was occupational upgrade where they threw out most of the job priority content they originally put in the preview because it was completely unplayable. But then again, their original intention was completely unplayable beyond 50-60 cycles so they were kinda forced to.

Edited by Saturnus

Joining forums =/= joining the game and following the updates.

Also, I was specifically referring to the changes that occurred between the prerelease and final release versions of those updates.  Since I was responding to this

Ranching Update: numerous changes to how the critter lifecycle works, most prominently eggs (from only tame critter reproduce to every creature dies and lies eggs).

Cosmic Update: Meteor changes (rate, content).

Expressive Update: Several downtime devices being added (music bot, coffee machine), numerous changes to the QoL/morale system

Rocketry Update: It's literally been out for 4 hours. Let's just see what the update includes before we can complain, alright?

All just small tweaks, right? I'd be delighted to see your first piece of software. You seem to have a real grasp of the agile ways.

Edited by blash365

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the preview build.  They release them so to us so we can help them find bugs, adjust balance, and provide feedback on the upgrade before it's released.  They're not going to drastically overhaul something in two weeks; they couldn't even if they wanted to.  Adjustments are what you should be expecting in that two-week window; the expansion of features you mentioned earlier happen over the course of multiple upgrades (every six weeks).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tobruk said:

In my opinion you get enough wheezeworts to completely freeze your base, so I see no sense in looking for more or even needing more. What do you guys do? Sleep beside a volcano?

I'd like to have the option. So, yeah.

With the new resevoirs I feel they are kinda pointless, if they empty as they fill its just the same as having a very large pipe, could we possibly have automation so so that once it is full it sends a signal, or somethjng so we can makenit pump till its full then drain itself? Otherwise I would rather just use a 20kg/tile room with automation in it...sure i get that the resources are different but plastic isnt hard to come by now.

2 minutes ago, goboking said:

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the preview build.  They release them so to us so we can help them find bugs, adjust balance, and provide feedback on the upgrade before it's released.  They're not going to drastically overhaul something in two weeks; they couldn't even if they wanted to.  Adjustments are what you should be expecting in that two-week window; the expansion of features you mentioned earlier happen over the course of multiple upgrades (every six weeks).

No, this is literally exactly what I'm trying to say.  Reread the conversation.  I thought this update was too barebones, it was pointed out that there are still 2 weeks left for them to work on it.  I pointed out that, historically, the two week periods have not introduced significant gameplay changes, and thus I will almost certainly still find it to be too barebones even when it fully releases.

9 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Ranching Update: numerous changes to how the critter lifecycle works, most prominently eggs (from only tame critter reproduce to every creature dies and lies eggs).

Cosmic Update: Meteor changes (rate, content).

Expressive Update: Several downtime devices being added (music bot, coffee machine), numerous changes to the QoL/morale system

Rocketry Update: It's literally been out for 4 hours. Let's just see what the update includes before we can complain, alright?

All just small tweaks, right? I'd be delighted to see your first piece of software. You seem to have a real grasp of the agile ways.

I would argue that the Ranching and Cosmic ones were relatively small tweaks, yeah.

The expressive had a bit more content, but nothing drastic.  I doubt the equivalent of adding some more rocket modules and planets would really improve the gameplay here.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm bashing or unsatisfied with the developers.  I'm not.  I'm perfectly fine with this as a first step.  I'm just stating that I'd be really disappointed if there's no MKII for this update, because it feel exceptionally simplistic to me.

• Like 2