Why are event items being turned into skins?

I was the ONLY person (at least from all I read) who is incredibly disappointed to receive another event with basically wasted content instead of a real content drop like "a new reign".... why :( 

I really wish those events were added as parts of the DST game. 

The forge too ... could have been an additional island next to the ruins like the atrium with some new enemies scattered around after you discover/unlock it? New bosses and stuff .... but no - instead it is gone :(

58 minutes ago, Warplord said:

I was the ONLY person (at least from all I read) who is incredibly disappointed to receive another event with basically wasted content instead of a real content drop like "a new reign".... why :( 

I really wish those events were added as parts of the DST game. 

That’s understandable since we all love the game, but at a certain point, more is too much, and balance becomes a problem. Does DST really NEED more content in the base game? Probably not, even if we could argue for days about things that need to be fixed or adjusted. So the devs have indicated that they are working out new ways to give us “more” without gunking up the base game with a bunch of stuff just piled on there because the fan base wants something new. They’ve said that the Forge was an experiment with adding on temporary modules that work like a mini-adventure mode and provide new challenges without permanently altering the base game.

You know, a safe in DST could work like it does in Terraria where the content of a safe is exclusive to the player, and can only be accessed by the player who placed the items. The contents would not be shared like a chest, and even if the safe is hammered, the items will still remain in limbo until another safe is place. It's tough to explain this, better just to see it in action, or read up on the wiki: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Safe

Point being, I think Terraria's safes are just brilliant.

16 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

> craft safe

> put all the gems, gears, and thulecite inside

> break safe, putting the contents into limbo

> leave game

You can save yourself some time by just grabbing the items and logging out. No need to even build a theoretical safe. 

4 hours ago, Ressayez said:

You know, a safe in DST could work like it does in Terraria where the content of a safe is exclusive to the player, and can only be accessed by the player who placed the items. The contents would not be shared like a chest, and even if the safe is hammered, the items will still remain in limbo until another safe is place. It's tough to explain this, better just to see it in action, or read up on the wiki: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Safe

so.. like an enderchest?

On 10.06.2018 at 1:41 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I'm not against these limited events, but I think it's such a shame that the items we see in them get abandoned and turned into worthless skins.

Why not add them to DST? The Forge weapons could have been re-balanced for example (there was a mod that tried doing this, but failed miserably). 

The one I'm fixated on today though, is this

image.png.01fd5d7abe37c1d213c02a6380ff21b5.png

HOW AMAZING WOULD IT BE TO HAVE A SAFE IN DST? When you craft it, you give it a combination or a number code. You can tell other players the code, so only the people you trust can open it. That way, you can store precious items and not have to worry about people stealing them. This is a really annoying issue playing on servers with people you don't know, I always have to waste inventory space carrying gears and gems, because I'm worried that if I leave them in a chest, they are just gonna disappear.  

Also, you could move it like a suspicious marble and maybe with enough gunpowder, you can blow it open. You could get up to all sorts of heist shenanigans. 

But no...It's going to be turned into an Ice Box skin...Because apparently people want a refrigerator that looks like a safe. 

Seriously, am I the only person who thinks this is such a missed opportunity!?!

In dst, you either play a team or you die so something like that does not make sense. It would be more useful to an armored cupboard - something like a chest but with greater durability.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:18 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

How exactly does it fit with the lore that an Ice Box looks like a safe?

To be honest, I see the ice box skin as an icebox more then a safe. The handle looks like one to a fridge, and the dial could be to change the temperature.

On 11/06/2018 at 10:17 PM, Rellimarual said:

That’s understandable since we all love the game, but at a certain point, more is too much, and balance becomes a problem. Does DST really NEED more content in the base game? Probably not, even if we could argue for days about things that need to be fixed or adjusted. So the devs have indicated that they are working out new ways to give us “more” without gunking up the base game with a bunch of stuff just piled on there because the fan base wants something new. They’ve said that the Forge was an experiment with adding on temporary modules that work like a mini-adventure mode and provide new challenges without permanently altering the base game.

I will never understand this logic.Games of this genre are always open for new expansion. Games like Subnautica, Minecraft, Terraria are always getting new updates. In fact, they DIE IF THEY DON'T. I don't understand why this game can't as well.

Seriously, with this kind of logic, we would never have gotten RoG or a New Reign. It makes no sense. 

17 hours ago, Hunter863 said:

To be honest, I see the ice box skin as an icebox more then a safe. The handle looks like one to a fridge, and the dial could be to change the temperature.

Image result for safe victorian

Are you ******* kidding me...And the fact that you got a like, just makes me think that talking to you people is just pointless. 

IT'S A ******* SAFE. END OF ******* STORY. JESUS ******* CHRIST.

14 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

It actually looks like a "More Exclusive" Fridge. Looks Better, and has a nice handle.

I literally want to die...

image.png.8938a2585d6c370f7fb9adc0100ed0e7.png

HOW?

image.png.3023a95b258f0088b0d836da855959e5.png

32 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Are you ******* kidding me...And the fact that you got a like, just makes me think that talking to you people is just pointless. 

What a kind, polite and constructive post. 

Please don't act as if your opinion were the only real truth and everyone who thinks otherwise are total idiots.

So, on topic, I agree that this looks like a safe:

But for me this looks more like a fridge (especially the fridge from the game) than a safe:

The both aren't the same picture, you know. The more round form, the icon on it and its thin (-looking) walls make it more fridge-like than safe-like.

36 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

You couldn't be any more polite, you hit a perfect bull's eye.

7 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

What a kind, polite and constructive post. 

Please don't act as if your opinion were the only real truth and everyone who thinks otherwise are total idiots.

So, on topic, I agree that this looks like a safe:

But for me this looks more like a fridge (especially the fridge from the game) than a safe:

The both aren't the same picture, you know. The more round form, the icon on it and its thin (-looking) walls make it more fridge-like than safe-like.

1 minute ago, Wilson_pl said:

You couldn't be any more polite, you hit a perfect bull's eye.

Sorry, just frustrating. 

But this isn't an opinion, it's what it is. It's a safe. Obviously, the shape of it so that it can fit as a skin for an Ice Box. But it's a safe. 

It's an Ice Box that looks like a safe.

That's it. You can pretend that it's not, but the reality of it is...It's a safe.

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

And now?

image.png.7eaefc83589b0c4904ba20c5be81c2d3.png

This is a third picture (the actual safe from the Gorge) and it clearly looks more like a safe. But the skin still looks more like a fridge, for me at least. 

I don't think it is worth arguing about the look of the different items tho, because (if I'm not mistaken) your original question was why did we get a skin instead of a new building. Regarding that, it would be nice to have saves in the game but in my opinion they wouldn't be important in most cases but a new skin would be used more often (and it's also easier to implement).

5 hours ago, fimmatek said:

This is a third picture (the actual safe from the Gorge) and it clearly looks more like a safe. But the skin still looks more like a fridge, for me at least. 

I don't think it is worth arguing about the look of the different items tho, because (if I'm not mistaken) your original question was why did we get a skin instead of a new building. Regarding that, it would be nice to have saves in the game but in my opinion they wouldn't be important in most cases but a new skin would be used more often (and it's also easier to implement).

I just don't understand, especially with the real life pictures I provided, it can look anything other than a safe.

As for the other stuff you. That's what I hate the most. I don't care about skins. They are nice, but real content will trump over cosmetics any day. 

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I just don't understand, especially with the real life pictures I provided, it can look anything other than a safe.

As for the other stuff you. That's what I hate the most. I don't care about skins. They are nice, but real content will trump over cosmetics any day. 

Comparing the in-game safe to the in-game icebox doesn't improve your point on it being a safe. They have different looks to them. The safe has little detail, with a LOCK on it, while the ice box has a dial and looks mechanical. As for the image of the IRL safe... it also looks different. Sure, it looks very similar to the ice box again, but it also resembles the safe more. The reason I say it looks like the ice box is because of the door.

You cant tell me this:

Ice Box

Doesn't resemble this:

Archived